• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Serebii Exquisite Corpses

Psychic

Really and truly
Serebii Exquisite Corpses

Have you ever wanted to collaborate on a fan fic before? Have you wanted to co-write something but didn’t even know how to start? Want to try your hand at a fun creative writing exercise? Then the Serebii Exquisite Corpse story series is for you!

In celebration of Pokémon’s 20th anniversary we’re honouring our fandom’s emphasis on teamwork and trying new things by bringing the craziness and fun of the Exquisite Corpse to Serebii!

What is it?

Exquisite Corpses can take multiple forms, and you’ve probably participated in one if you’re ever taken a creative writing class! In Jax’s words:
JX Valentine said:
The writing version goes like this: Person A writes a certain amount of words of a story. Then, they send the last line that they wrote to Person B, who has absolutely no idea what Person A wrote. Person B proceeds to "continue" the story based on what Person A sent them, then sends the last line or word of what they wrote to Person C. This continues until the end of a set amount of time, and at that point, every person reveals their part of the story in order to create a beautiful tapestry of wtf.
Sounds simple enough! For the Serebii version, each person must write at least 300 words for their section/s. Additionally, we’ll be running four Exquisite Corpses at once, and each one will have a different plot or theme! Each member can sign up for up three EC’s, which will be running simultaneously. Us mods will be handling the organization, which will involve signing people up, planning the order of writers, passing off each EC from one person to the next, and posting the final results!

So what will our four Exquisite Corpses be?

1. An Episode of the Animé: You’ll be writing a standard episode of the Pokémon animé, with all of the usual characters, tropes and Pokémon-of-the-week shenanigans! This will be written as a narrative (not a script) and it can take place in any region.

2. A Kanto Trainer Fic: Yep, you’ll be co-writing a traditional trainer fic! When the torch gets passed to you, you will only be told:
A) The last sentence of the previous person’s section
B) The protagonist’s current Pokémon team
C) How many badges they currently have

3. A Creepypasta: That’s right, it’s a horror story being passed off as a true story or legend!

4. Freeform: This will be completely random, much like a traditional Exquisite Corpse. The basic theme is “connection,” and the story can go in any direction!​

Each mod will be in charge of one EC. This will include choosing the order of writers, and contacting each new writer with the last sentence from the previous person which they have to work with! That means that you will not be contacting the next person in line, which will make things significantly easier.

The Rules:

1. Each member chooses up to three EC's that interest them and sign up using the form below. The first deadline will be February 27 at 11:59pm EST
  2. Members willing to be the first writers for any given EC will state so on their sign-up, and first writers will be drawn at random
  3. Each of the four mods will be in charge of one EC, and will be responsible for setting up the order of writers and contacting each new writer when it is their turn with the sentence from the previous writer.
  4. Each writer will be given one week to write their portion of an EC. Your portion must be at least 300 words long, and above that you can write as much as you want within reason. Just remember that at the end of your week, the next person will only get to see your last sentence!
  5. When you’ve finished writing your section, send the whole thing to your assigned mod. They will then compile it in a secret document and send your last sentence to the next person in line!
  6. Participants are more than welcome to publically say when it’s their turn and to talk about the experience – but you’re not allowed to post what you’ve written, not even your last sentence!

The Sign-Up Form:

If you’d like to participate in this project, fill in the following form and post it here by February 27 at 11:59 EST!

HTML:
[U]Username:[/U]
[U]Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in:[/U] (You can choose up to 3!)
[U]Do you want to be a first writer?:[/U] (Yes/No)
[U]Preferred weeks:[/U] (Are there any weeks where you won’t be able to participate? Keep in mind that depending on the number of participants for each EC, some of them could go until April or later! For members participating in more than on EC, we will make sure you’re not writing more than one EC in any given week)

Late sign-ups:

If you would like to sign up for an EC, even once the writing phase has begun, that’s totally doable! You can also choose to only sign up for one or two EC’s before February 27, and sign up for additional EC’s after the deadline. The maximum of 3 still applies, though!

If you would like to enter as a writer past February 27, just fill out the form and post it here! Please do note that it will mean you will likely be writing a bit more down the line, as those who signed up early will have precedence.

Closed as of May 4.

EC Projected Schedule:

February 13 - February 27: original sign-up period
February 28 - March 5: the mods will organize the order of writers for all four EC’s. The late sign-up period will begin
March 6 - March 12: the first writers will be contacted, and have one week to write their portions. Writers will be told which mod to report to
March 13 - ???: the EC’s continues

Projected end dates:

Episode of the Animé: May 14
Kanto Trainer Fic: June 11
Creepypasta: May 7
Freeform: June 25

Communication:

Each mod is in charge of one EC, and will be responsible for contacting their participants via PM. Each participant will get a heads-up between a few days to a week in advance of their turn. Once a participant's week begins, their assigned mod will PM them with a link to a Google Doc, which they will write their section in, and which will also contain the last sentence from the previous writer's section. Participants will be given a deadline for completing their section, at which time their Google Doc will be closed. The mods will also send check-in PMs on the Thursday/Friday to make sure everything is going smoothly.

The Serebii Exquisite Corpses have begun!

Happy writing!

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Holy crap, this sounds freaking amazing. I did the exquisite corpse project for a drawing class once, but never for writing. This should be fuuuuun. So this is technically a round robin without getting the whole story, in which case, haven't ever done a round robin either. I'm pumped already :D.

Username: Kutie Pie
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: An Episode of the Anime; Creepypasta; Freeform.
Do you want to be a first writer?: I'd like to be the first writer for anything.
Preferred weeks: I should be available throughout the entire event, so I have no preferred weeks.

So uh, quick question: Are we going to only write our given portion once per EC, or are we going to do it multiple times depending on the number of participants?

Last edited:

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Oh my god this sounds hilarious sign me up.

Username: Chibi Pika
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: An Episode of the Anime; A Kanto Trainer Fic
Do you want to be a first writer?: No
Preferred weeks: Nope, any week is good!

~Chibi~;249;;448;

JFought

Sloooowly writing...
I did this once way back in elementary school. The results were hilarious (by elementary standards, at least).

Username: JFought
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Animé episode, Kanto Trainer Fic, Freeform.
Do you want to be a first writer?: Yes, as long as it isn't for the Freeform EC
Preferred weeks: Should be available at any time.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Username: bobandbill
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Kanto trainer, creepypasta, freeform.
Do you want to be a first writer?: Don't mind.
Preferred weeks: No strong preference.

DeliriousAbsol

Call me Del
This sounds like fun!

Username: Delirious Absol
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Anime episode; freeform
Do you want to be a first writer?: Don't mind
Preferred weeks: I'm pretty much free whenever =)

Username: Dramatic Melody
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Kanto Trainer Fic, Freeform
Preferred weeks: I won't be available from March 12th to 16th (will be out of town!), so I'd prefer not to be the second recipient. So I can be one of the last recipients for my Exquisite Corpse. :)

Awesome idea - round robin-type stories are always fun. Can't wait to try it out! :)

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
Eh, why not?
Username: Omegagoldfish
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Creepypasta, freeform.
Do you want to be a first writer?: No preference.
Preferred weeks: None.

Username: Shattersoul
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Creepypasta, Freeform
Preferred weeks: None.

Last edited:

AmericanPi

Write on
This sounds like a lot of fun! I do have questions though, where will the mods be posting the final product, and will it be revealed who wrote what part?

Username: American--Pi
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Creepypasta and Freeform. I've never written horror before and I'd like to give it a shot. Also, only signing up for two ECs because I don't want to take on too much.
Do you want to be a first writer?: Yes please for Creepypasta (because I've got a great idea), no please for Freeform.
Preferred weeks: None - I'm available pretty much all the time. :)

Last edited:

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Abso-bloody-lutely count me in on this.

Username: Poetry
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Kanto Trainer Fic, Freeform
Do you want to be a first writer?: I don't mind.
Preferred weeks: None, I'm more or less always around.

Last edited:

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
>: D

: D

: )

No.

Wait, I mean YES!

Username: The Teller
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: (You can choose up to 3!) Anime, Kanto, Freeform
Do you want to be a first writer?: (Yes/No) I CAN be if no one else really wants to for any given category.
Preferred weeks: (Are there any weeks where you won’t be able to participate? Keep in mind that depending on the number of participants for each EC, some of them could go until April or later! For members participating in more than on EC, we will make sure you’re not writing more than one EC in any given week) My availability becomes iffy once May comes around.

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
I've never heard of this kind of thing before, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Count me in!

Username: Mrs. Lovett
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Kanto Trainer Fic
Do you want to be a first writer?: Yes
Preferred weeks: I won't be able to write anything on the weeks of April 11th and April 18th.

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Sure, why not?

Username: Negrek
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Kanto
Preferred weeks: Anything March and beyond

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
This sounds like fun, I'd like to give it a shot.

Username: Victorian Rush
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Anime and Freeform
Do you want to be a first writer?: Yes, preferably not for the freeform EC though.
Preferred weeks: Any week is good for me, minus the week of April 25th - 29th. I'm going away on vacation that week and I won't be here to write anything.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Holy crap, this sounds freaking amazing. I did the exquisite corpse project for a drawing class once, but never for writing. This should be fuuuuun. So this is technically a round robin without getting the whole story, in which case, haven't ever done a round robin either. I'm pumped already :D.

Awwwwww yeeeeeeah.

Also, that is a great way of describing this event, ngl!

So uh, quick question: Are we going to only write our given portion once per EC, or are we going to do it multiple times depending on the number of participants?

Good Q. It'll just be once per EC, basically. I know it says "for a set time" in that quote above and I know that means y'all will be writing a tiny bit for each EC (unless you go hog wild—you are legit given a week and no maximum word count, after all), but the deadline's kinda fuzzy because the number of people participating currently is. For example, some of the ECs will take a minimum of seven weeks to complete already. Not that we mind.

So tl;dr, you just have to write one part an EC. But don't worry. If peeps like this event, we might do it again in the future. :D

This sounds like a lot of fun! I do have questions though, where will the mods be posting the final product, and will it be revealed who wrote what part?

Also good Qs! Main forum (with labels that identify it as ECs and everything), and you will absolutely be given credit where credit is due. :D

On that note!

Awwwww yeeeeeeah, count me in. 8)

Username: JX Valentine
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: An episode of the anime, a Kanto trainer fic, a creepypasta
Do you want to be a first writer?: Yes
Preferred weeks: Throw me in anytime you want me, bby. ;D

Well hey, this looks interesting! Might as well give this a shot! Word of warning, though, because I'm abroad right now, there are gonna be a lot of weeks that I can't do.

Username: PhalanxSigil
Which Exquisite Corpses you're participating in: Freeform
Preferred weeks: Any time except for the following: March 4-6, and April 15-May 2. It's a lot, I know, but I'm not gonna have access to my computer around those times.

Psychic

Really and truly
:D It's awesome to see so much interest in this! As a reminder, there one one week remaining in the initial sign-up period, but you can still sign up after February 27 - your turn will just be at a later date. Please also let us know if you edit your form to change your availabilities or what EC's you want to participate in!

And of course I am all in! >D

Username: Psychic
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: Animé, Creepypasta, Freeform
Do you want to be a first writer?: Nope
Preferred weeks: Any!

I wonder if you can guess which mod is doing which EC

~Psychic

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Just me
Whoops, forgot I hadn't done this yet.

Username: Dragonfree
Which Exquisite Corpses you’re participating in: An episode of the anime, a Kanto trainer fic, freeform
Do you want to be a first writer?: Don't mind
Preferred weeks: Any