• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Serebii Exquisite Corpses

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
So I'm a mite concerned about behavior in this thread, so at the risk of raining on folks' parades, a quick run-down:

1. Serebii rules still apply as a general whole, even if the game is a bit surreal.
2. KP, please don't censor-dodge outside of your fics; the censor is there for a reason. *motions to the first post of this page*
3. Folks are totes welcome to discuss the game, but please do so in posts with a mite more substance. One-liners are still kinda frowned upon here.

Hokay, if we're cool with all that, carry on. b)'')b Thanks!

Edit: Or tl;dr, you totes can have fun in this thread, and this event is totes going to be surreal af, but please be aware that forum rules still apply here and that we kiiiiinda want to steer away from having a lolwut thread. D: Thanks!

Last edited:
:( I couldn't figure out how to do a zany spinoff with the line I was given, so I went with mundane, but likely workable text instead.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
:( I couldn't figure out how to do a zany spinoff with the line I was given, so I went with mundane, but likely workable text instead.

Totally cool! Tbqh, the challenge actually works better if you don't force yourself to be zany or funny and just write naturally. Like I said earlier in the thread, the main draw to an Exquisite Corpse is figuring out what to do with what you have, so it's more of a creative exercise than one where you're supposed to push yourself into producing crack. So if you have a bunch of people who try their hardest to be cracky, the end result won't exactly be as beautiful as it would if you had a bunch of people just writing whatever they think the story is about, using a variety of different styles, you know?

Like, not trying to be passive-aggressive or anything about that, either; don't get me wrong! If you have tried to be cracky, that's totally cool too, especially if you looked at your prompt and decided that you had to do something cracky. Like, if your normal style is to be as cracky as possible, you are absolutely, 100%, perfectly in the right to be as cracky as you want with your prompt. I'm just saying that if you can't be cracky because you normally don't write crack or because you've looked at your prompt and can't come up with crack or what-have-you, don't feel like you've missed the point of the challenge or anything. Just continue whatever story you think is going on in whatever style comes naturally to you.

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
Just wanted to reiterate Jax's post: the goal is an Exquisite Corpse isn't for everyone to one-up each other. That kinda goes against the spirit of the thing. It's more about creativity and seeing what comes out what a bunch of different artists produce when they each make a genuine effort to combine their unique ideas and styles. The fun thing about it is that the end result is going to br pretty ridiculous regardless of whether or not the participants try to make it wacky.

If we do this again next year we can totally havr a comedy or "lolsorandom" EC, but for this year let's just have fun without everyone feeling like they need to outdo each other. :)

~Psychic

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
For a while there, I thought I wasn't going to be able to get it done but I did manage to write it but I don't think I'll be able to write anymore. This was fun though and I'm looking forward to freeform EC.

katiekitten

The Compromise
THAT WAS FUN. Thank you, previous creepy-pasta writer, I liked your sentence. Barring any nitpicking over word choice, I think I'm actually done. :'3

Last edited:

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Hey guys, I got bored and did a thing. As of right now (April 27th), here's how many people signed up for each corpse, meaning it'll be that many weeks since its conception (March 6th) before we can behold its beauty.

Episode of the Anime: 10
Kanto Trainer Fic: 13
Creepypasta: 8
Freeform: 17

So the creepypasta fic should be done by the end of the week, and after editing, should be up soonish after that. For those of us who did the first sections of the freeform fic...well, someday's better than never, right?

Psychic

Really and truly
Now that things are slowing down, sign-ups are officially closed! The first Exquisite Corpse is coming to an end, and with that we are exiting the application period!

With that, since people seem quite curious, each EC is currently scheduled to end on the following dates:
Episode of the Animé: May 14
Kanto Trainer Fic: June 11
Creepypasta: May 7
Freeform: June 25

Please note that these dates are still subject to change, and that this does not dictate when each EC will be posted to the forum! We need time to prepare each Exquisite Corpse before posting it for all to see, so expect that it will take at least a week between us receiving the last section and actually posting the finished product!

(So you were close in your estimates, The Teller, but not quite! Part of this came from rescheduling writers who missed their weeks and other such behind-the-scenes situations!)

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how the Creepypasta came out, though! :D

~Psychic

Omegagoldfish

My will be done
Oh, the creepypasta's almost done? I can't wait to see what someone did with my (somewhat generic) ending line. I expect it to be a trainwreck: Horrible, but alluring...

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
I just wrote a fantastic pile of garbage, so I hope no one was expecting ~quality storytelling~ on the Anime Episode. =P

~Chibi~;249;;448;

This is the best prompt.

When I read it, I couldn't help but take it as a one-liner.

katiekitten

The Compromise
Oh man, I don't know what happened to the Kanto Trainer Fic, but I like what I'm seeing. :')

Edit: *cackles for a very, very long time* OH I HAD WAY TOO MUCH FUN WITH THAT. I have so many questions for the previous writers when this all finally finishes up. But for the mean while, I look forward to seeing where this goes. :') I'll probably tidy it up later in the week, but I'm done with my section, for now.

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
The first Exquisite Corpse is now complete and posted! You can check out the Creepypasta EC here, huge thanks to Dragonfree for running it! We have put the name of the author of each section in spoiler tags under their portion, and we highly encourage guessing and commenting! Thanks to everyone who participated, and we'll let you know when the other EC's are done!

~Psychic

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm too amazed to comment on that thread at the moment lol, that was pretty incredible, in all honesty. Like holy cow it took a turn for the beautiful mindfuck it was predestined to be. Loved it. Whomever wrote the fourth part went over and beyond, really enjoyed that one. Though that part five, yo. Clever.

I've tried to guess the writers, but I honestly don't want to know the surprise until after this surprise has calmed down.

Next time you run an EC, you guys should totally do a "off the rails" fic, where the only rule is that the story needs to have a logical progression of some kind. As in, everything needs to make logical sense, no jumping from one topic to the next, but trying to see how badly you can warp the train of thought.

As for my current EC... I think I might have gone insane at some point, likely multiple times. I have no idea where the original idea came from, but now I think it's too perfect to leave behind.

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
Next time you run an EC, you guys should totally do a "off the rails" fic, where the only rule is that the story needs to have a logical progression of some kind. As in, everything needs to make logical sense, no jumping from one topic to the next, but trying to see how badly you can warp the train of thought.

Hate to say it, but that might actually require letting folks see what everyone else is writing. While that is a possible sort of writing challenge (a round robin, to be specific), it's a bit of a different beast than an EC. See, it's all about the main premise of the game. While exquisite corpses don't have many rules, the biggest one is that you don't know what the part that came before yours is about. (There're a lot of good explanations behind the actual game out there, but here's one example, with some good visual examples of its own. Figured it'd be a good idea to let people know that this is totally a thing.)

So! Maybe if we do a round robin, this could be a thing we could do, but for the most part, it'd be really difficult to do with an EC because you can't actually see the rails.

Last edited: