• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Serebii Journal Discussion Thread

Would you like The Serebii Journals to continue?

• Yes

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDanger

Talk about The Serebii Journal here, what you liked, what you didnt,, new article ideas, etc. Please make sure to vote on the poll on if you want this the come back in March

Pending Article Ideas
POTW recap
Interviews
Major Usage Changes
Braving the test of time
zero to hero

March Layout

Metagame Articles

-
-
Battle Strategy

Featured Mega
OU Spotlight Threat
-

Misc
-
-

Community

Interview

Featured RMT

Last edited:

Gray™

I checked the thread journal and imo it was very well done.Good job Danger :)
My suggestions:
-Maybe you could mention some of serebii's tournaments and leagues as an attempt to get more people interested in the forums leagues/tournaments.I'm not saying to do a full report on every league and tournament but rather just mentioning the leagues and tournaments going on(since they're quite a few it shouldn't be too hard) and maybe mention if someone won a league or tournament.
-Regarding the meta discussion next month maybe you could do an article about megas ?When suspect is over there might be some big changes in OU so thats another possibility for an article.

Thats all I can think of hope it helps~

BGP_

I checked the thread journal and imo it was very well done.Good job Danger :)
My suggestions:
-Maybe you could mention some of serebii's tournaments and leagues as an attempt to get more people interested in the forums leagues/tournaments.I'm not saying to do a full report on every league and tournament but rather just mentioning the leagues and tournaments going on(since they're quite a few it shouldn't be too hard) and maybe mention if someone won a league or tournament.
-Regarding the meta discussion next month maybe you could do an article about megas ?When suspect is over there might be some big changes in OU so thats another possibility for an article.

Thats all I can think of hope it helps~
Agree with everything said here. Seems good so far though!
Some personal suggestions...

- If this were to become bigger and successful, I still think you should try getting this on the main site like POTW to get it more attention and probably an easier way to organize it.

- While we're on the POTW, why not briefly highlight/mention the POTW's of the previous month? Just a thought.

- Interviews, all for it. Get people involved, whether it's your battlers, artists, league owners, mods etc., getting people involved would be a good way to draw some attention and get people more involved with the comp section as a whole.

- If possible, I think notable usage stats/tier changes should be considered being mentioned. I guess that might be banking too much on how quickly smogon posts usage stats, but again just another idea off the top of my head.

- Throw the battle of the month recap in there, again might give some incentive for that.

- Saltiest people of the month

Just a few ideas off the top of my head, I'll think of some more later :)

Eaglehawk

Banned
This is really nice Danger! You kind of went through with the Articles idea :)

Quick question, can outside sources write pieces for Serebii Journal too?

McDanger

thanks for the suggestions guys, Ragnarok and I wanted to start this small till it got bigger but next month I plan on talking with him on a community section to highlight tournements, leagues, and guilds as well as include interviews
Usage and POTW are both interesting, i`ll discuss them with Ragnarok, and as for main site i would need to talk to serebii and it wouldnt be for a while and only if this gets really popular. Keep up the suggestions
oh missed eaglehawks, once this gets bigger yes i'll ask some people to assist in some articles

Last edited:

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
Of course people we accept to write for it and do so regularly will be rewarded in some way.

McDanger

So to keep the community more involved, I'll post some ideas for articles as well so you guys can comment on them like the other suggested ones. Currently I have 2 ideas

1. Braving the test of time, Pokemon that have remain OU

Basically it will cover pokemon from RBY and GSC that have stayed OU since their release years ago and cover their effectiveness within each generation.

2. Zero to Hero

This would cover pokemon that gained new moves, abilities, or items that sent them from the depths of NU and made them viable in far higher tiers, mostly OU and Ubers.

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
So to keep the community more involved, I'll post some ideas for articles as well so you guys can comment on them like the other suggested ones. Currently I have 2 ideas

1. Braving the test of time, Pokemon that have remain OU

Basically it will cover pokemon from RBY and GSC that have stayed OU since their release years ago and cover their effectiveness within each generation.

2. Zero to Hero

This would cover pokemon that gained new moves, abilities, or items that sent them from the depths of NU and made them viable in far higher tiers, mostly OU and Ubers.

I think those are both interesting ideas for an article, but the other thing you should do in even numbered months is plug the Serebii tours of the next month.

McDanger

I think those are both interesting ideas for an article, but the other thing you should do in even numbered months is plug the Serebii tours of the next month.

Ya i was planning on that, the the tours will start 1 week after the journal on the months it starts

Well done Danger :)

Suggestions:
1) I support Gray's idea to have a league and tournament spotlight section.
2) I feel that every so often and older metagame could have a small spotlight this would have people find new metagames which they could play
3) I support the remaining in OU and zero to hero ideas

McDanger

Ya i was planning on doing different generations

We will have another issue next month due to the large interest in this.

Set up

Metagame Articles
-
-

Battle Strategy
-
-

Community
-

Misc
-

RMT

more may be added as we go through the month

Last edited:
I read through it, and I like it. I liked the suggestions you made, and I have a suggestion, if you're open to it regarding the RMT

Every few weeks, have a Wifi RMT. Since the wifi metagames are a bit different since everything is allowed, wifi RMTs can see different Pokemon that normally wouldnt be used. The most applicable I see is Battle Spot, which is 3v3. Since these battle tend to be shorter than full matches, many different playstyles are opened up, such as Trick Room and Sand Offense.

Just a thought.

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!
I read through it, and I like it. I liked the suggestions you made, and I have a suggestion, if you're open to it regarding the RMT

Every few weeks, have a Wifi RMT. Since the wifi metagames are a bit different since everything is allowed, wifi RMTs can see different Pokemon that normally wouldnt be used. The most applicable I see is Battle Spot, which is 3v3. Since these battle tend to be shorter than full matches, many different playstyles are opened up, such as Trick Room and Sand Offense.

Just a thought.

If we're going to add a Nintendo metagame, it should definitely be VGC 2014, since it's Nintendo's main focus. Either the February issue or the March issue would be a good place for it, since Winter Regionals have already happened, and Spring ones start in April. So yeah, it a Nintendo meta RMT is added like every other issue, then it should be a VGC one, and nothing else.

McDanger

I`ll do vgc ones, if people posted good ones, I'll try each month to get a different tier and generation for the rmt, they just need to be good for me to use them

Fair enough aboout the RMT. VGC does make more sense now that I think about it. Maybe a general one time article about Battle Spot could work, such as strategy on how 3v3s work. IDK, Im just throwing up ideas into the air.

I like the Braving the test of time idea. It could be pretty interesting. I saw one article like that back in gen 5 on the Smog, which is Smogons webazine, but Id like to see a sixth generation version.

A few more ideas: (Ill add more once I think of them)

Core of the month: Basically talks about an offensive/defensive core of Pokemon

Ubers Spotlight: Similar to POTW, talks about a specific Pokemon that influences the Ubers metagame

Tier Threat list: Talks about the threats of each tier

Playstyles: Talks about different types of playstyles. Can be a different one once a month.

Last edited:

Aeon™

Rock Ultimate
I was reading these articles more closely on my phone earlier (I only skimmed through them before), and I think the ending of the article on birds felt a little abrupt. A sort of concluding bit probably would have been good, just to kind of wrap things up. I also finished reading through the XY UU article before and noticed that there was a concluding blob, and it just felt more complete. Just thought I'd point that out.

Could we do a few less technical and more fun articles like The Smog has? You know, stuff like competitive retyping, how certain new moves would affect a Pokemon's viability, pretty much topics that are somewhat less serious but still have some competitive merit. You could maybe even throw in articles about more gimmicky but popular metagames like Balanced Hackmons and Middle Cup. Whether a certain topic is allowed or not would obviously be at the discretion of the staff, but articles like this in The Smog were always fun to read, and I might actually be interested in writing a few articles of this nature.

I also like the idea of interviews. Maybe we could nominate and/or vote on interviewees and PM question suggestions to McDanger or something.

Last edited:

Volcer

Shur'tugal
This is a great idea mcdanger, the articles were pretty good.

I have some suggestions:

>Interviews: This is a good idea, interviews with mods, well-known players, RMTers etc. would be help people get to know the comp section better and gain some valuable insight on teams, threats and stuff.

>Guides: Maybe list some guides that would help people get started with competitive and make some sort of 'Getting Started' article would be nice.

>Forum: I think that if this becomes big enough, a sub-forum like for the POTW would help with publicity and input.

>Metagame Discussion: Monthly articles about some well-known and fun metagames like STABmons, Alphabet Cup, Balanced Hackmons etc., would be nice and help people discover other tiers.

>Leagues and Tournaments: This would be nice, a good way for people to battle and improve.

>Mega Disc.: This would be cool, maybe articles on lesser-used Megas like Gyarados, Abomasnow, Blastoise etc. would be useful for making teams.

>Battle Strategy: This would be good for people who want to experiment with TR, Double Screens etc.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.