• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Sevii Islands Saga

Normalize

I've been getting more of your story done and now i'm at chapter 17, and might i say you have been improving at a great rate. I hope it continues!

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Good, I'm glad. Mike's your favorite? I'll be sure to give him more attention.

Anyways....spoiler for Chapter 29:
That next morning, John's crusade against the gym leader begins. Unfortuently for John, his battle weary friends decide against watching him. His best friend and biggest ally Mike, is actually pulling for him to lose. Can John overcome his friend;s incompetence and shine like Mike did? Or will his arrogance blind him?

Umm so Mike got his pride over his head and turns john down? Lets see how it turns out (is hoping John is losing untill a poke evolves and then he wins ;P)

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
Good chapter MM. Sorry that this is late but I havent been able to get on sppf in like 4 days =/. Basicly everything has already been said. Battle discription has really improved, so give yourself a pat on the back for that

Manaphyman

Up all night
@Normalize-- So glad your back! I'm glad you like it.

@Niedude-- Well we will se now wont we? John needs to be cured of his Gary-suness.

@S.V.--Thanks for the review. Dont worry about the delay. Glad you liked the battles, that was partly because you helped me. So thanks!

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
@S.V.--Thanks for the review. Dont worry about the delay. Glad you liked the battles, that was partly because you helped me. So thanks!

I dont remember editing any battles ?_?

Manaphyman

Up all night
@S.V.--but you gave me ideas and helped me with a battle in the previous chapter.

@derkins--Nope, I meant incompetence. John is arrogant right? He thinks he's better than all of his friends in battling. Howver, I should have thrown indiffernence in their too.

UltaFlame

I'm weird accept it
sry i've not posted anything or even said i read, and as of yet, I have not >.< Im too busy now to sit for the lenght of time it takes to read a chapter, so for now, sadly, I must stop reading, however, there may be times when i have time enough to read, so keep me on the PM List, and I'll atleast respond to your PMs ok? or take me off, I wouldn't mind.

UltaFlame

I'm weird accept it
no, no, I'd rather read later when I have the time, as I hope around Feb 15th I may be getting some... if i do, thats awesome, and I'll be catching up within the week, if not, well whenever I do, I'm gonna go on a reading spree.

Manaphyman

Up all night
Alright Ulta, catch up when you can. Anyways.....the new chapter will be up...Sunday-Wednesday.

Btw, much Like Mixy did, I finished a chapter list...anyone who wants to see it can pm me. Looks like we're gonna end up with 61 chapters.

Pokemaster271

Electropower!
Hi!

Just wanted to stop by, and give a review.

;025; As always.

Well, I wasn't paying to much attention too grammar, so there's not much to say.

As for the story itself, it progressing nicely. You've certainly come a long way.

So, as always, keep up the good work!

Oh! And expect a PM for that Chapter List.

Pokemaster~

Manaphyman

Up all night
@derkins--really? Well I'm glad I kept you guys guessing. Five Island is taking a long time, but we're almost there.

@Thanks for the review! I'll send it to you asap.

dash142

Beginning Trainer
Awesome chapter, sorry it took so long for me to read it though it was slightly your fault because I didn't get a PM.

I'm glad Mike is finally getting a little spotlight, and yay Cyndaquil finally evolved!

Manaphyman

Up all night
@dash--yeah, I'm gonna send them out this time.

Btw, the new chapter is finished, and as soon as it is out of beta-ing, I will post it.

Manaphyman

Up all night
Chapter 29: The Bitter Taste of Defeat

“I won!” Mike had came back, yelling in triumph. As his friends rushed in to hug him and congratulate him John was left to his thoughts. In fact, he was kind of happy. After all, Mike was a bit of a lightweight in battle, which sent a wave of confidence through him John had battled Mike numerous times, and each time he had been victorious. So if Mike could beat Hannah, surely John would have no problem with her.

Mike had warned him to take the battle seriously, and to battle hard, but they went into one ear, and right out the other. Mike didn’t know a thing about battling.

“Dude, I’m telling you, you need to prepare!” Mike yelled at him that morning, as John was packing his bag.

“Shut up Mike. You’ve told me a thousand times to prepare, you think telling me an hour before the battle is going to help?” John shot back, throwing his bag over his shoulder.

“I’m just saying, I prepared, and that’s why I won.” Mike said arrogantly.

“Enough!” John snapped back. “I know that you won, and I’m happy for you, but you don’t have to remind me every second of the day. Truth is, I’m better at you at battling.” He finished, walking towards the door.

“F**k you! Go to the gym yourself!” Mike yelled, throwing a dark red pillow at the door as he walked out.

After John had left, Mike grabbed the crimson colored remote, and turned on the large plasma screen T.V. that was hanging on the wall. He wasn’t really watching, he just wanted some background noise. Mike surveyed the room, not exactly impressed. The two weeks that they had been staying there he hadn’t even noticed how large and extravagant the room was. On one of the upper floors, it had five full sized beds, each comfortably made with fresh white linens. Of course, it had an amazing T.V., a bathroom, and a screened in balcony.

If you looked outside from the balcony, you could see for miles, clear across the beach and to the distant Four Island.

The others, namely George, Joey, and Lindsey, all went downstairs for a quick bite to eat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What John didn’t realize is that Mike wasn’t the only one there. John had made a scene in front of all of his friends. None of them were going to support him. He was on his own, for the first time since they had left.

He stormed away to the gym, infuriated. After he exited the hotel, he walked across the barren grass and out of the main city. Five Island was very quaint, and personally, John didn’t like it.

The parking lot was empty, not a single car occupying its many spaces. It was also fairly large, for the island itself. As he crossed the parking lot, he ended up on a plain of dead brown grass. As he crossed the field, he saw no pokemon. The city itself was also small, as soon as he was out of the parking lot, he was out of the main city.

Personally, he wanted to leave as soon as possible, a wish that would not be realized for a while. It was three weeks until the next contest, and Lindsey didn’t want to leave.

There was no activity where they were, no people, cars, or even pokemon. Five Island was famous for its green pastures and white beaches. Where were these things it was so famous for? Nothing was green, temperatures were low, and the wind made everything miserable. The truth was, John was seriously regretting leaving home.

Plagued by these thoughts, he crossed into the nearby woods. The woods were mundane, especially the third time through. As he passed through the eerie woods, his mind began to wander. It was un-seasonably chilly, and the normally tropical and warm island seemed to be entering a Winter-like state. Tree’s were stripped, barren and lifeless, even the Palm’s. John couldn’t help but be a little worried.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a boring, painstaking hour-long walk, John entered out into the familiar clearing. Across a small, now unmarked field, stood the ominous Hannah.

Hannah herself was wearing a long black dress that draped on to the ground. Her lanky figure looked both frail and frightening, and her pale emotionless face highlighted the moment.

The ground itself was churned, the grass no-longer visible, mud and dirt taking its place. A visible streak of earth led up to where Hannah was standing, which led John to believe these were scars of Mike’s battle.

A strong breeze began howling through the area. The wind curled around the dead trees, making some of the most eerie noises Mike had ever heard. The wind sliced straight through his clothes, making him shiver uncontrollably.

“Are you ready?” Hannah asked, smirking.

“Of course. One-on-one….my Prinplup versus your...?” John asked, attempting to sound tough. By the look on Hannah’s face, she was not amused. Her eyebrows inverted, and her eyes rolled.

“You’ve seen her before.” She smirked yet again, tossing a Pokeball across the field. John did the same, anxious to see this Pokemon of Hannah’s.

Both Pokeballs exploded, amidst a brief warmth from the sun. As the balls released their contents, the normal red flash brightened the area. Muffled growls of pokemon could be heard. As the contents of the Pokeballs were revealed, the bright yellow sphere disappeared behind the gray blanket of clouds that had poisoned the sky for weeks now.

As if the weather and Hannah were in sync, a truly evil, and surprising site had appeared to them.

The same demon Mismagius that had kidnapped Selphy and attacked them just two weeks ago was right in front of him.

Even Prinplup was scared, it’s small legs quivering and wings shaking. The area around them faded into an eerie blackness, the forest that encircled them vanishing.

The few Pokemon that remained on the island were also afraid. It even seemed that the sun itself was hiding.

The Mismagius looked the part, its agile form glowing a dark purple. It had a “dress,” which was essentially a purple appendage wrapping around her abdomen. Her small torso rose to a perfectly symmetrical sphere, which was her head.

Two bloodshot red eyes dotted it, and the same smirk that appeared on Hannah’s face was also plastered on Mismagius’s face. A trademark “witch’s hat” was attached to her head, and she floated a good three feet of the ground.

“Wow.” John whispered, afraid to even talk.

“Let’s begin shall we?” Hannah asked. “Mismagius, use Shadow Ball!”

“Prinplup, dodge and use Water Pulse!” John countered.

The ghost Pokemon lifted it’s stubby arms parallel to it’s torso. In between them, a ball of electrified dark energy formed. White electricity coursed around it, black energy was drawn to it.

After containing the ball for a few seconds, Mismagius released it, shooting it directly towards Prinplup.

Prinplup dodged at the last second, merely jumping to the side. The ball passed harmlessly away, consumed by the forest.

Prinplup then began it’s attack, waving its two short fins. Ground water expelled upward. The ground was further destroyed, a pit of mud appearing in front of Prinplup. It was hard to distinct from the rest of the field, which made the situation very dangerous. If either of the Pokemon fell into the pit, they’d be immobilized, which was spell certain defeat.

Prinplup used it’s fins to shape the water, and focusing hard, sent it out in three powerful rings. The water rings moved forward at an incredible pressure and speed. All three of them hit Mismagius hard, pushing the ghost pokemon back further with each hit.

She shuddered for a second, but easily regained her composure and floated back to where she was previously.

Suddenly Prinplup was thrown forward, nose-diving into the pit of mud that it had created.

The Shadow Ball had hit it’s target after all.

Prinplup was stuck in the mud, face first. It squirmed and wiggled, and desperately tried to get out, but the mud kept on sucking, tightening it’s grip on the poor Penguin Pokemon.
Mismagius looked on, slightly amused. Her mouth tightened up, and a wave of seriousness seemed to take hold of her.

The pokemon floated over closer and closer to John and Prinplup, skyrocketing John’s heart beat. He tried to back away, but could not. He was paralyzed by fear.

Prinplup seemed to sense what was happening, and must have felt a sense of urgency, as it squirmed more and more. Mud was thrown everywhere, as Prinplup tried everything to get out of the mud. It was all to no avail.

Mismagius began to smile, and a ball much like the previous one was forming in between her arms.

“Finish it Mismagius. Shadow Ball!” Hannah cried, pointing towards the upside down penguin.

John knew that if the attack hit, Prinplup would die. It was already being starved of oxygen.

He thought of yesterday, rushing to the hospital with Phanpy, afraid his new pokemon would die in his arms. He was doing a disservice to them, pushing them too hard.

He thought of Cyrus just a few weeks ago, aiming the gun and firing at Eevee, the way Scott treated his pokemon.

“NO!!!” He shouted, jumping in front of the mud where Prinplup was. He struggled to free the pokemon, frantically pulling it out of the mud. The nasty brown stuff was flying everywhere, and he was covered in it.

But that didn’t stop Mismagius. After failing to get Prinplup out himself, he grabbed a Pokeball. To his dismay, he looked up, to see the dark black ball rapidly approaching. He felt the impact in his stomach, and waves of pain consumed him.

Dark thoughts racked his brain, and blackness consumed him.

His last memory was that of Hannah running on to the field, and a flash of green light.

Some time later.

“What the hell is going on?” John asked, sort of snapping back to reality, as if waking from a deep sleep.

There was no answer.

“Uh, where am I?” he asked, trying to sit up. A sharp pain in his torso prevented him from doing that, and he settled with lying down. Looking to his side, he noticed four other beds neatly made with white comforters. The hotel!

“Your in your bed silly!” A cute female voice said, and then a hand came, stroking his forehead.

“Lindsey?” He asked, confused even more.

Lindsey knelt down revealing herself. So did George, Joey, and Mike.

“What happened?” He asked, even more confused. Why did his stomach hurt, and what had happened during his gym battle?

“Hannah brought you here and told us the whole story.” Mike said, in a blunt voice.

“Can you explain?” John asked, annoyed.

“Sure. Well, she said your battle was relatively short. Apparently your Prinplup was stuck in a mud hole. Her Mismagius was about to finish it off, possibly even kill it. You, your classic idiot self, jumped in front in the knick of time, and tried to save it. You got hit with the Shadow Ball.” He explained. Mike seemed to have cooled from the morning.

“So then what? Where’s Prinplup?” John asked frantically. He tried to sit up again, but was held down by George.

“Calm down. He’s fine. Hannah returned it to it’s Pokeball.” George calmed down, not relaxing his restraint.

“I saw a green light. Did she say anything about that?” John asked, pushing George off of him. He managed to prop himself up with little pain.

“Nope. All she said is that you lost.” Joey chimed in, rather happy about John losing.
“No rematch?” John asked, surprised. He was even a little angry. It wasn’t his fault that his pokemon almost died!

“Nope. You lost buddy.” Mike said, placing a hand on his shoulder. John immediately shrugged it off.

A wave of remorse and self pity besieged him. He had lost. His cocky attitude and terrible outlook on the battle had almost cost his Pokemon it’s life, and cost him his Pokemon League Challenge. Well, he got what was coming to him.

John shook off the remorse and self pity. He wasn’t going to get anything done this way. There was definitely another way to win a badge. Somehow, someway, he would compete in the league.

“Guys…go watch TV or something. I need to talk to Mike.” John said, sucking up his pride in preparing for an apology.

They scattered, and the distant hum of a sports game came on.

“Dude, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be such a cocky as*hole.” He apologized.

Mike paused for a second, “That’s another thing. Hannah said if you apologized to give you this.” He outstretched his arm and unfolded his hand.

In it was the Phantom badge. It was in the shape of a ghost, a small human shaped blob, with two arms and no legs. It had a pointed head and was colored an ectoplasm green.

“She said if you could come to your senses and apologize, I should give you the badge. She said you fought valiantly.” He explained.

“She found out about the fight?” John asked, inquisitively.

“Well…yeah, I told her.” Mike responded.

“Oh.” He whispered, his voice muffled by the TV. From the other side of the room distant sounds of bats hitting balls and crowds cheering overshadowed his voice.

“Turn that off!” He yelled. About two seconds later, the sounds of the game disappeared.

“So what’s the game plan?” John wondered allowed.

“What do you mean?” Lindsey asked, her face becoming confused. Her hair was down, and some of her bangs covered her left eye. She quickly moved the annoying hair, tucking it behind her ear. It’s silky blond appearance was something that John had inadvertently been ignoring lately.

“When is your contest? I can’t wait to get off this island!” he said enthusiastically.

“Well um…you know. Three weeks. So it looks like we’re stuck here till after Christmas.” She said skittishly. Her head bent down and her leg twisted to the left.

“Oh. So what are we supposed to do for three weeks?” John asked.

“Well….I could definitely use some training.” Lindsey volunteered.

It was going to be a very long three weeks.

Remote Island Near Six Island

Scott was confident. Coming off a spectacular victory vs. the Five Island Gym, and a successful trickery of John, nothing could go wrong.

All they needed to find was the last sword piece.

He sat adjacent from his father, and supreme Galactic commander Cyrus. The room was pitch black, had no windows, and just one door. The table was huge, meant for at least thirty of the topic Galactic executives to meet.

But now, it was only his father and him.

“Our sources tell us that the final sword piece could be located near the Dotted Hole on Six Island, Dad.” he commented, shuffling through at least fifteen papers that were lying on the tan oak table.

“Yes I know.” Cyrus replied, his tone saturated with annoyance.

“What do you know of the group?” he asked, bluntly.

“John and the group don’t suspect a thing. I easily tricked them into believing I had reformed. I beat the gym leader too.” Scott explained, a trickle of nervousness in his voice.

“Good my son. I am proud of you.” Cyrus replied, no emotion on his face at all.

Proud. It was the first time Scott had every heard him say that. His Dad was finally proud of him. That’s how Scott justified his actions: with his father’s approval.

“So what are your orders for me?” Scott asked.

Cyrus paused, an inquisitive look appearing on his face. One of his eyebrows rose, and he seemed to be thinking.

“You say the kids are on Five Island?” Cyrus asked.

“Yes. My sources say for at least a month.” Scott responded, a little confused to why the subject was changed.

“Find out more information. I want you to go down yourself to the Dotted Hole. Wait for them. I want at least 100 of our best troops inside that hole.” he schemed, a dark smile appearing on his evil face.

“Yes sir.” Scott said, getting off of the large wheeled chair. He pushed it in, and bowed slightly.

Scott made his way to the black door, and just as he was about to open it, Cyrus stopped him.

“Don’t fail me son.” he said, a deep seriousness in his voice.

Scott looked up, nervous. He nodded, walking out of the room.

A sense of duty overcame him. He was doing the right think right? Galactic was going to reform the world, make it a much better place. Was it right though?

Seafoam Islands, Kanto Region. November 20th 2007. (Two weeks ago.)

A large, light blue bird was perched in the distance. It was on a large outcropping of brown rock, surrounded by intense white water rapids.

Even from a distance it was magnificent. It’s body and wings were blue, but its stomach was a pure white. It had a long luminescent blue tail, which fluttered with each breath it took. Three dark blue feathers made a makeshift crown on it’s head. It’s eyes were a different shade of blue, innocent and child like. Even it’s beak was unique.

The more Lorelli looked at it, the more she loved it. She hated taking her out of it’s habitat, but she had to. Just as she had tracked down and captured the mighty Moltres, so now too, she had to capture Articuno.

There was also Zapdos, but that was a quest for another day.

Next to her in the white water was her trusted companion: Dewgong.

The sea-lion was a pure white. It had a large fin, coming out of a medium-sized tail. Two white frayed fins were stabilizing her situated on both of her sides. Her petite head had a small horn, which was in between her black beady eyes. Two fangs hung down out of her mouth.

Lorelli hopped on to the sea-lion, as they attempted to navigate through the white water. It was time, there was no turning back now.

To be continued....

Author’s Notes:
Well, I finished this a lot earlier that I thought. I figure your first impressions are:

1)The battle was short-- well, it was short for a reason. This chapter was meant to make John suck….and it worked.

2)The chapter was a tad short.-- This chapter was a gym battle chapter at first, but then turned into a filler, so it wasn’t supposed to be that long. Next chapter we will all see why the Sevii Islands have been getting so cold lately.

Which brings me to the dub: Chapter 30: Winter’s Kiss

Special thanks to duncan...my amazing beta.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
First Review!

He wasn’t really watching; he just wanted some background noise.

As if the weather and Hannah were in sync, a truly evil, and surprising sight had appeared to them.

^WATCH YOUR HOMONYMS!^

Even Prinplup was scared, its small legs quivering and wings shaking.

^THIS IS HAPENING WAAY TOO OFTEN!^

It was hard to distinguish from the rest of the field, which made the situation very dangerous.

Better than distinct...

...which would spell certain defeat.

You’re in your bed, silly!”

There's another error in your spoiler i think needs to be addressed:

INCOMPETENCE (n): One's inability to do his work/ a task correctly.

Point? You're using the word in the wrong context. When one cares little for/about another's state/ success, it's referred to as APATHY/INDIFFERENCE.

John should have burned out of the league. He showed incredible pigheadedness and should have paid the price for it. Besides, if he were out of the league, he could maybe focus on the sword he's meant to find and protect from Galactic.

Howevr, it's your fic and are free to do with it what you like.

All in all, you did good this chapter. Making the protagonist suck really helps make him more human...

Got to go now...

L@er!

Manaphyman

Up all night
@AD...My bad for all the damn word mix ups. Thanks for the grammar corrections.

John should have burned out of the league. He showed incredible pigheadedness and should have paid the price for it. Besides, if he were out of the league, he could maybe focus on the sword he's meant to find and protect from Galactic.

This would have been interesting. Although I'm sad to say it didnt happen. If you want more plot...well, next chapter is for you.

Glad you liked John's failure.

Thanks for the review.

Btw, everyone, since midterms are approaching steadily, Chapter 30 may take a little longer than usual.

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Howdy MM, here am I as I promised and let me tell you this chapter was different from your usual work. I don't know how, it just was... Usually the other companions of John blend into the scenary, especially on a gym chapter, but in this one Lindsey and Mike, even with few lines, were perfectly understood. Something hard to do.

Now onto somethings I found:

After all, Mike was a bit of a lightweight in battle, which sent a wave of confidence through him John had battled Mike numerous times

I think if you stopped the sentence after "through him" it would have been much better.

Truth is, I’m better at you at battling.”
I'm better than you.

The ghost Pokemon lifted it’s stubby arms parallel to it’s torso

I never knew mismagius had arms :S

which was spell certain defeat

which would spell

Proud. It was the first time Scott had every heard him say that. His Dad was finally proud of him. That’s how Scott justified his actions: with his father’s approval.

Remember that shinji from Neon Genesis Evangelion we talked about?
This same thing happened with him and his father, Shinji did not know his reason for piloting a big as* robot/demon, and when his father praised Shinji for defeating one Angel by himself (Angel= NGE's bad guys) Shinji realised he was piloting EVA not to save the world, but to be recognised by his father.