• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Shadow War Trilogy: The Rebirth of Darkness

Agent Tectonic

From Ashes, I Come
Alright, my shot to see how far my creative side can go. Read, critique, and enjoy. I do plan to write this beginning to end no matter how long this takes. This is also subject to being halted and revised. Anyways, here you go, book 1.

EDIT: Guess it might be a good idea to rate this: Let's see... PG 15 should be an appropriate and safe rating for rather heavy violence at times, occasional swearing and a few scenes of sexual content.

Here are the planned titles for the six books, the last five being working titles.

The Shadow War Trilogy:
1.) The Rebirth of Darkness (currently on)
2.) Living the Legend
3.) A New Beginning

World War Trilogy:
1.) Revelations
2.) The Lost Cause
3.) Conclusion

---

Chapter 0-1: Laying the Foundation

Six o'clock strikes and the blaring of the alarm signaled awakening. A never ending cycle of eating, working and sleeping was the life of this man. Groaning and reaching for his cell phone to disable the effectively annoying cacophony of an alarm. Succeeding in turning off his alarm, twenty-three year-young Kale Talend. The next 45 minutes was spent preparing for his job, an ambassador for the two leaders of Transia. Today, it took an hour to prepare due to an unexpected knock at the door.

Hobbling down the stairs of his two story, single-bedroom house. He always liked having space even though he only used about twenty-five percent of his home. The other majority of the house was spent as storage for work, which supplied plenty of filed paperwork. Reaching the oak wooden door, Kale opened it up and looked around at the empty porch. Checking every direction with down being the last, Kale finally looked that direction to discover a sealed, pristine white envelope. Muttering a curse for the lack of patience from the messenger that delivered this and not waiting until he was at his office. Simply picking it up without opening it and through it on top of his briefcase, Kale returned to prepping for work.

Finishing breakfast and readjusting the sea blue tie that hung from his suit, Kale drove the short six miles to work. A lady valeted his car while he strode through the revolving doors of The Hub, headquarters of peace arrangements and government agreements between North and South Transia. A Weavile stormed out of one of the trading markets complaining of over priced food as a business man confidently walked out of courtroom of being not guilty of tax scandal he did commit.

Walking past the receptionist who guarded the elevator behind him, he was stopped by a perculiar figure, a Lucario. At first he thought it was Leader Aurelias Silverspike, but when the aura Pokémon whispered to him, he amended his assumption.

“You need to leave this building. Agents have been sent to assassinate you and are lurking in your office and at your home. Take the warning and find a safe place to hide and read it.”

Kale deduced that this Lucario was rather irritated, but he didn't immediately get what it meant by reading the warning.

“What do you mean warning? And why would there be assassins after me; I haven't made enemies to anyone my whole life?”

“The note, where is the note?”

The Lucario swore after sensing my next thought as fear gripped Kale's heart. In his deviation from his normal routine, Kale had left the letter sitting on his briefcase, the briefcase he failed to retrieve upon leaving his two-story home.

“You know, you are already beginning to piss me off. Come. We need to leave here now.”

Seeing as he was in no position to deny the statement, Kale acquiesced. Their brief exchange hadn't attracted any onlookers which the Lucario was visibly relieved, yet frustration was gleaming in his deep purple eyes. Kale had only worked with one Lucario before, Leader Aurelias Silverspike, ruler of Transia South. He met with him on occasion with President Alexandria Cassidy, the other ruler of Transia, Transia North to discuss politics of both sides and form a standard law structure over the city in its entirety. This Lucario looked very similar, but Kale noticed that it stood much taller than what he would have suspected. Aurelias was an intimidating creature as he was, standing just under four feet with an ugly scar along his abdomen, a story he never shares; however, this Pokémon was vastly more frightening in terms of height, just shy of five and a half feet, almost able to look Kale in the eyes without having to look up, a scary thought since both Lucarios he now knew were well over their average height.

Heading out of the building and crossing the Transia Wall that supposedly divided the city, the pair were now officially in Transia South. Markets lined the street, each trader shouting over the other to entice buyers to their goods. An infamous Kecleon stand with two Kecleon brothers rhymed off each in attempts to lure a Wurmple to buy six oran buries from them. A Parasect tended to her supply of herbs that served as medicine to common diseases or injuries of varying degrees. To Kale's interest, the Lucario was glancing every which way, scanning the crowd for someone in particular. With a grunt of satisfaction, Lucario swerved around a pair of Marill and approached a solitary figure, an albino Typlosion with neon blue eyes, chatting with a Dusclops behind a counter that served as one of the few banks in the district. Kale strained to hear what the conversation was about.

“I really do doubt that you are a descendant of the great Dusknoir. Even if you were, his last redeeming act may have helped save the world in the past, that does not right the wrongs he committed. I lost one of my great-great granddaughters to him.”

“I really am! But I see your point. I know his life was shady, to put it mildly, but he redeemed himself before the end and even helped rebuild the damage that was caused. I won't mention much of it from now on. Promise.”

"Good. Ah Zix, judging my the fact you are accompanied by a human, I get this must be Kale. Th' names Blastburn. Pleasure to meet ya. I see you met my gruff partner Zix. He was --”

“Skip the greetings Blast, we need to get to your library, we have three men following us since I was forced to reveal myself to him. They are standing thirty feet north northeast from us by the garden store.”

“Sooo what, you expect me to just transform here in the market and fly us off. Last time I checked, you were just as capable of doing that and not be noticed for that matter as I am”

“Now is not the time to be snide Blast. You know what I mean.”

“Lately it is never a good time, so you leave me little choice but to be “snide,” but anyways, yes I will show us to the tunnel; however, we will need to deal with the stalkers so that the tunnel remains hidden.”

This entire conversation was still being held right in front of the bankers shop, and the Dusclops thought it amusing that he was forgotten about. He knew both patrons well enough to know their true identities, and the human was naturally famous throughout Transia. Nonetheless, he felt it prudent to pitch in:

“I could distract them for you. I can tell the three of you are in a hurry.”

Both Pokémon stopped their conversation, looked at the Dusclops, then smiled at each other. The fire type spoke first.

“Did we--”

“Ya I think we did. Uh, listen if you think you can distract them long enough for us to slip out of the city, we would be thankful for it.”

“Ah, no problem. I understand the situation well enough and thought it would be an honor to assist two well known Pokémon like yourselves.”

The Volcano Pokémon thanked the banker again and promised to repay him for his trouble, and the group turned and ran for the eastern part of the city. The Dusclops saw the three men also start running, and he yelled for security, screaming at the top of his lungs all the while, pointing at the thr trio, “ASSASSINS, ASSASSINS!”

Finding that their cover was blown, the trio was forced to retreat back to the human half of the cities before Magnemites and Magnetons swarmed the market district. The ghost Pokémon smiled to himself on how ridiculously easy that was and returned to his boring job of waiting for patrons to request or drop off money.

“Alright we made it. I'll open the passage, but I need to leave to attend to other business that requires my attention.”

“Ya, so do I. Kale, you will need to travel to the library. When there, find the series The Shadow War Trilogy. Read it. Learn from it. There is information in it that will fill in what you have been searching for a long time: your family history.”

Kale hadn't had the breath to say anything, but Zix read the emotions within him.

“Yes, I am well aware of your life's quest to find the secrets of your past relatives. I have been watching you for a long time to learn this. All of your questions are within that trilogy. Keep out of sight. I will return to check on your progress when I can and answer any questions you may still have at the time.”

“I have complied with everything up to this point, but now you are asking me to seclude myself from the rest of the world and read. Your joking right. I now hear that I have had some stalking “guardian angel” my whole life, and yet you show not a single ounce of concern for my own personal feelings to the matter. I am grateful that you saved my from death, but explain to me why I should comply any further. You started out pissed off at me because I did not read some letter you sent to me. You can't expect everyone to fully understand the situation placed upon them in a second's notice. And yes, I do want to learn about my family's history, but now I feel that doing so is only going to get me killed.”

The sudden blowup from Kale through both Blastburn and Zix by surprise. Blast seemed amused at the truth behind it, but Kale had not expected to see Zix looking pitiful about it.

“I'm, ah ****, I'm sorry.” Zix was having trouble finding the words he needed to say. He felt guilty, the tough bravado dispersing to a tender side that Kale never could have seen. “I see that today has been rather chaotic for you, and you are right, about everything. Life tossed you a curve ball is you people say it, and I should have been more accommodating. I still can't give you a full explanation that you deserve right now, but I will return in a week's time. Right now, you still need to listen. No matter what you do, assassins will be on the hunt for you forever unless this conflict is averted. The Library of the Rising Dawn will be a safe haven for you while you delve into the story I request for you to read. It holds truths that you will need to learn, and your lineage is also confined to those pages. Please, just listen, and I will try to be more understanding. My patience has been frayed due to matters that regard you, but they are not your fault. Do you choose to run and hide or do you wish to step into a darker world you thought did not exist?”

Kale thought about it. He didn't like violence, and by the way Zix was dodging the main point, Kale knew that danger lay down that path. He also did not want to end up with a dagger in the back or a gunshot to the heart either. He gave a simple nod and turned toe the gaping hole in the ground that supposedly connected to some library. He stepped and dropped into the whole, navigated the well lit tunnel and proceeded to his destination. After a suffocating trip of about an hour's time. Kale arrived in a colossus cavern, a spired university in the middle. Inside was a ground floor that was covered in three inches worth of dust and debris. Bookcase after bookcase were stacked like dominoes around the floor, and stairs led to the second and third floor of the structure. Kale's eyes were drawn from the sight to a lone desk sitting at the left-hand corner of his position that had seen some cleaning as no dust was on it. The sight that held Kale's attention was three books stacked on each other. Guessing this was what he was looking for, he slowly shuffled his feet across the dust laden foundation. Sitting at the ornate wooden chair, he pulled the closest book toward him: The Rebirth of Darkness: Book 1 of the Shadow War Trilogy. A moment later, Kale was absorbed into the text that would change the face of the earth for better or for worse.

Closing the encrypted passage, Blastburn looked directly into his partners violet eyes.

“You should have told him now.”

“I- I couldn't. Not in the state he was in. He needs to discover it himself. He needs to learn from the beginning. Tina's army is going to tell him the secrets.”

“Yes, but you are risking exposure in postponing this. We already know that Aurelias and Alexandria are agents for Tina, and who knows how many legends have flocked to Tina. I am not the only one to know the password to the library; Zeek defected too, remember.”

“I know. Continue recruiting. I will discontinue the search for the shrines at least until Kale learns the truth behind the world's state. It is my fault that humans and Pokémon are at war with each other. I can only hope that my research is correct in that Kale truly is the descendant.”

“If he is, we better pray that Tina never captures him. Remember the prophesy said that he could swing the pendulum to either side.”

“I know. Anyways, we best get moving. I still need to deal with other known agents hunting Kale.”

Last edited:

Agent Tectonic

From Ashes, I Come
No new chapter up should there be any readers. This post is here only to inform that Chapter 0.1 has been completely redone. The first, when after rereading, left my disappointed with the quality, and I then thought this different approach instead. I personally like this one better, so readers (if any) let me know your thoughts on it. Don't know when I will be able to actually start the actual story, but I am hoping to start it sometime this week.

Agent Tectonic

From Ashes, I Come
Alright, here it is. The first official chapter of TSW. Since it is the prologue, it is rather short. Chapter 1 should be much, much longer.

Prologue: Along the Edge of Sanity

Silence, blissful silence circled the room to which she contemplated over her studies. The room in question, an entire library full of books, scrolls, and anything else pertaining to bound literature. Also being a room to which the person in question slept for the time being, it was fitting quarters for no on other than a legend. The part ghost, all dragon creature sat in her humanoid form, a form she responded to by none other than Tina, and embedded herself within the texts before her on her ornate oak desk.

Page after page, she memorized the texts of battle strategies, worked through various mind games, and solved high end mathematical problems. Tina sought to be the perfect warrior: one who could solve the hardest problems and overpower her opponents through power and mind.

“This has been the third year in a row that you have inhabited my library Giratina. I don't know why you have been pouring over those books like a Ninjask on caffeine, but this is becoming a nuisance.”

“I told you before Resh. I am preparing for a large scale project I have been working on. You and I both know that tensions have been running on in the world between Pokémon humans. Team Plasma's attack on the problem failed, but the problem as a whole avalanched beyond control. Now, many humans, like Ghetsis once preached, are instigating a split between Pokémon and humans.”

“I still don't see how this relates to your zealotry for war strategies and math equations.”

Giratina turned in her seat and regarded the colossal being in front of her. A cross between a bird and a dragon stood before, decked completely in pure white fur, wings for arms, and two sets of yellow bands around the neck and tail.

The shadow dragon was about to answer that comment but stopped before she hesitated in answering and decided to say something else entirely. “Feeling sparkly today, hmm?” inquired and joked Tina.

The glow around the bands slowly faded to pure white, similar to the rest of Reshiram's body as his tail began to glow a fiery blue and anger flashed in his eyes.

“Must you always joke about that. Unlike you, I try to be a bit flamboyant in my appearance. You look like you have been living in the sewers your whole life.”

Her garb consisted of a ragged, faded black t-shirt and ripped blue jeans, so Reshiram wasn't far from the truth Giratina simply shrugged at the comment, not bothering to argue her case why.

“To answer your inquiry, I cannot tell you. The less people know the better.”

“As long as you are not planning something entirely evil, I guess I'll keep my mouth shut. You claim to be in recovery from your last plot, but you also have a bad habit of letting evil drive your thoughts. Remember your job. You preserve evil, not start it. Darkrai is bad enough to defend against, last thing we all need in these times is you turning traitor, too.”

“This is different.”

Reshiram was in the midst of leaving when Tina responded. He paused for a moment and thought. He knew her, almost too much. Those last three words muttered worried him. For all the time he knew Tina, she was always confident in what she did, even if it failed. This time, a slight hint, barely noticeable, unknowingly crawled within those words. Normally, Resh let Tina do as she pleased, but this time, he intended to monitor this secret plan of hers.

Last edited:

Agent Tectonic

From Ashes, I Come
Well, here is Chapter 1 everyone (finally, right?).

Chapter 1: Plagues of the Heart

“You're fired. Return the rescue badge and travel bag. You may keep any items you have collected in your travels.”

“B-But. We have been doing better. We want to be just like-”

“Yes, everyone wants to be just like them. You are not the first to tell me that; although you are the first to underevolved replicas of them. I understand that you both want to go out and save the world like Team Tectonic; however, you must understand the risks. Flash, you nearly died from being mauled on your last rescue attempt while you, Slip, nearly were burned alive. Nobody can question you both on your drive to be rescuers; however, you both are much to young. The Pokémon Rescue Organization would look bad if new recruits are getting themselves killed because of lack of intervention on our part. When you guys grow older, and you still have that drive, come back to us. PRO is always on the search for Pokémon like you too.”

The two unfortunate ex-rescuers handed over the badges to the head of the Rescue Association. They were disheartened that they were relieved from duty, but they smiled weakly at the consultant. He may have been the one to take the job from them, but it was apparent even to them that he tried to be as friendly as he could about it instead of simply firing them.

“I'm sorry that I have to do this to you both. Now, please leave and send in your idols please. Even they seem to be in the crosshairs of this organization.”

They both left and dutifully summoned the next group. The tropical bird exhaled dramatically; he hated his job. He was a generally amiable person with tolerable patience, but he received the short end of the straw and was assigned to the Forced Resignation Department. He hated the name, the job, everything about it. It was bad enough the job came with its demons, but the name itself looked like it would spell words such as fried or fired, reminding Pelp of the misery he had to endure. Every resignation tore at him. The poor souls that were forced to retire from rescuing moments ago were one of many that tested his patience and made him feel downright evil. His superiors state that it is to protect would be rescuers, but this was being downright cruel at times. Team Gale was the 223rd team abolished under his watch this year, tens to many.

With a twang of guilt, Pelp awaited the entrance of his final meeting of the day. Before the door to the office closed upon the exiting of Team Gale, two other figures, the fully evolved Pokémon of the previous team entered. Pelp never actually met the duo in person. Looking between the two, he noticed several oddities about them. The Sceptile sported curved, razor-sharp arm scythes rather than the typical straight-edge blades other Sceptiles had. The red stripe across his belly was rather narrow, too. The oddest physical feature about the beast was his eyes; instead of the standard deep yellow, there were a calm green in its place, a symbol of intense training to master Inner Strength. The instant Pelp looked at him, a wave of peace washed over him, making his sour day a bit brighter. The Typhlosion on the other hand, was much more normal in feature. Two quirks dominated Pelp's attention. The first being that if Pelp looked closely at the fire rift in the beast's neck, he could see blue haze of fire beneath. The other was again in the eyes; the passionate blaze of red dominated the retina of the fire type's eyes, flourishing the training of mastering Inner Strength. Once again, Pelp a wave of emotion wash over him, though this one evoked a feeling of determination. Pelp knew that these guys were good, but he also knew that failing to mastering Inner Strength could result in death.

While the bird inspected the two, the other two surveyed their surrounding, for this was the first time they ever entered the FRD. There was nothing fancy about. Two tapestries hung from the ceiling with renditions of a Pelipper's face imprinted on it. The walls were made of concrete, the floor: wood. The bird in front of them perched on a low lying branch with a desk in front of him. Not bothering to ask how in the world he could write with only wings, the two famous rescuers sat in the only other furniture in the room, two non-complimentary stone chairs, waiting expectantly for the Pelipper to speak.

“I don't want to come across as a devil, but my job requires it. Now, the board has reviewed your rescue operations and are not pleased at the results. Everyone is thankful for what you two have done in the past; however, recent circumstances have called them to question your effectiveness. They understand that you are the only rescue team promoted to Lucario rank, and you did help save the world. That has been why they have been more lenient with you two compared to other teams. In the past year, eight of your rescue attempts have failed due to the murdering of the client being rescued or escorted. The PRO is looking into why murders have been on the rise, but they are shocked that your team has been dropping the ball. I for one don't agree with the board, but it is not my place to change their judgment.”

The pair looked at each other, the calm feeling that Pelp had been feeling moments ago was gone without a trace, much to his dismay, and the look of fear was creeping into their eyes. Being gifted with Keen Eye, Pelp had a rather good ability to see and understand more than others: body language and emotions being the main thing. He wasn't aura-sensing like the Riolu line, but Pelp's judgment through body language rivaled that of the previously mentioned Pokémon.

The Typhlosion spoke first, trying to come up with the right words to say, “So... are you telling us that we are being forced to retire?”

“Lucky for me to say, no. You are not being force to retire. At least, not yet. The board only wanted me to lay out their feelings and warn you that a few more botched mission, and then, yes, retirement will be upon you. That will leave you to spend time with your families as a full time job then.”

The final statement hit home. Yes, each had found a mate to call their own. The Sceptile was actually expecting to have son or daughter soon while the Volcano Pokémon had a daughter, now a Quilava. Many of the townsfolk were curious to see if she will eventually pursuit being a rescuer like her father.

“That was uncalled for! We work day and night to ensure the safety of others. That is not to say that we dislove our families, but we love our job too,” stated the Typhlosion.

“I apologize. I did not mean to upset you Master Zix. I sometimes lose myself within my job. It changes you, hearing the crying, the anguish, the depression. I need to get out of this job,” Pelp amended. He hung his head in and was reluctant to look back up. He really hated this job. His first ever meet and greet with Team Tectonic, and he was making himself look like the devil: cruel and emotionless.

“Forgiven, I understand. May we leave now.” The hint of irritation was still within the Typhlosion's voice, but to the bird's disbelief, he was shocked that the Typhlosion was so forgiving so easily. The Sceptile on the other paw remained silent as stone though fear and frustration was clearly painted across his visage.

“Yes, you may leave. Also, I want to apologize again for my outburst. This is my first time ever meeting you guys, and I feel guilty that I had to meet you under these conditions.”

The bear-like Pokémon stopped dead and turned to Pelp and smiled. “That's better. I have heard much about you. Many of the ex-rescuers that both of us run into speak highly of you. They say that even though you discharged them, they appreciated your sympathetic nature. You may hate your job, but you are meant for the job. Pokémon like you give this organization a breath of fresh air these days. Both of us know that the new management is going to bring the downfall of this business.”

Pelp nearly fell off his perch. He just received a high praise from one of the most famous rescuers ever known even though he had been a complete jerk. Recovering from his awe, “Hehe, officially, I can't agree to that statement, but, off the record, I agree with you. The business has seemed to take a turn for the worse. If the board wants to terminate licenses then they should be the ones doing it, but I can't make a say in that though. Lucky for them, the only thing saving them is that the world isn't plunged into chaos. Also, thanks. Your earlier comment lightens my heart. That means a lot to me. And I will try to not let this job corrupt me anymore.”

Zix gave a nod to the bird, turned, and exited the office. Pelp smiled to himself for the first time in a long time. Gathering up the paperwork, he left for home. No more appointments, and the day was at its end. It was the first of good days as he found that Zix was right; he did seem to fit.

-------

Outside the office, the crisp autumn evening was setting in. The founders of Team Tectonic sat at the edge of the cliff observing the swirling of the tides. Economics had been the sole provider of the expansion of Cityburg, but the cliff outside the Pelipper Post Office still remained untainted to the modernization of the city. It was here that Team Tectonic spent several of their nights, over looking the swirling sea beneath them, together with each other and their family. The wives were farther away from the founders of Team Tectonic, and it was at this point in time that the legendary duo, Zix the Typhlosion and Leafblade the Sceptile, discussed the recent news.

“Why didn't you say anything? Hell, you haven't said maybe five words since your revelation of another young member into our inner family last week. ”

The lizard sat silently for a few moments, still apparently digesting the recent news of possible retirement and contemplating his response to his trusty partner. They had been through much together. Survived exile, traveled to the sky, nearly died falling from that adventure, even recruited a few legendaries to their team. The idea of throwing in the rag was unsettling for both of them, but for some reason, Leafblade wasn't taking it very well despite that. He looked over at his wife, Harmony, before turning to answer Zix.

“I didn't know what to say. I mean, you barely manage caring for Lavansca. Is retirement that bad for us. I don't know if I can take care of my kid and rescue at the same time. What happens if we die? Since finding out the Harmony was with child from Alakazam, everything that I do, I think what happens if it goes bad. I can't stand feeling that way. What is going on with me?”

Zix couldn't help but chuckle at his distraught friend before answering, “Means you are feeling like a parent, and a good one too. Just remember, you can protect anyone and everyone all you want through our job, but children need to grow and see the world, both the good and the bad parts of it.”

“I know, but nothing but dread has been filling my thoughts anyways. I can barely sleep.”

Zix looked at his partner thoughtfully. Yes, they had been through a lot. So it was surprising to hear that his partner lying, or at least, not fully explaining the entire situation. He could see that becoming a parent was taxing his mind, but something else was also plaguing him. Zix masked his curiosity from Leafblade and did not prod any further. Whatever the lizard was having problems with was his business. Zix knew that should his friend need help, Leafblade would ask.

Zix returned his gaze to the setting sun. The duo sat there for a moment longer before Leafblade got up quietly and left to be with Harmony. They sat together at the far end chatting about the day's events. Meanwhile, Emelia, Zix's wife, and Lavansca walked the short distance from their position to Zix's. Emelia sat to the left of Zix and affectionately rolled her head over his neck while their daughter made her attempts to play with them by jumping to and fro and growling to get their attention. The parents smiled and played with their daughter for some time before the little one finally got tired and rested at her father's side. Zix looked over to see if his buddy was still there; however, he stare was met with emptiness as it was apparent that the couple left while he had been playing with Lavansca. A frown crossed Zix's face as his thoughts were once again turned back to his partner's curious demeanor. His mate, Emelia, broke his train of thought unexpectedly as she setttled back next to her lover.

“She has been like that all day. She barely sees you, so it is up to me to deal with her feisty spirit. You should take some time off and be with her.”

Zix reverted his attention to the present and, for the second time that night, discussed the meeting he had with the PRO, “The way things have been going lately, I won't have to try. Seems like the PRO are threatening to discharge Leafblade and myself from duty due to our performance this year.”

“Why would they do that,” gasped Emelia for she was aware of the problem too but knew that it wasn't rescuers fault should clients wander off or be found dead before rescued. “You both help save the world from destruction and their repayment to you both is to fire you seven years later. That is completely wrong of them.”

“Trust me, I feel the same way, yet that isn't the worst part. If you noticed, Leafblade hasn't been in a cheery mood for the past week now. This conundrum doesn't help, but he is beginning to question himself on whether or not he should quit to be with Harmony and his soon-to-be child. I don't think that is the only thing on his mind though. I didn't question him on it as it is not my place, but it worries me nonetheless.”

“Don't worry, honey. Everything has a way of working itself out in time. The PRO may threaten you both, and Leafblade may be over worrying about something, but everything is righted in the end.”

“I hope so dear, for his sake.” Zix returned his attention to surrounding area. Night had creeped its way in, and the lights within Cityburg were starting to dim as many others were turning in for the night. Zix looked down to see that his daughter was still sleeping and snoring contently. He scooped her up gently into his arms, snuggled his nose across hers and signaled Emelia that it was time to head home. The two parents and one child left town and headed to their home out in the east: the Scorched Plains
-----

“To further the cause of science is our goal. However, we have hit a snag in the research of Pokémon psychology. We remain unsuccessful in knowing how Pokémon work. The problem is, we do not get very many live specimens to work with. Nobody is willing to donate to science. Shouldn't they?”

A roar of yeahs and yeses responded to the ambitious scientist.

“However, there in lies the problem. Our organization is rather infamous in its ambitions. We need to be discrete about this. The solution: only find outcasts; Pokémon that no longer belong in society. This way, no one notices it is missing, and we are not stealing from anyone. Make sure this is the case. If a single complaint is filed against us for stealing, the person who did the wrong is fired. Am I clear?”

Again a roar of yeses resonated around the auditorium. Dr. Philip Grand, head scientist for the Darwin Institute, was an up-and-coming figure across the world. Famously known for discovering the cure for Pokérus and Pancreatic Cancer, he spearheaded the furthering of modern science. He was also infamously known to be cruel in his experimentation, border lining criminality. Rumors circulate that he once continually hacked a Gastrodon up for the sake of seeing if it was possible to fatally maim one. Consequentially, his future projects were abruptly halted as funding for them stopped.

A true genius but a psychopath too. Now, as leader of the criminal syndicate Team Sky, a coalition of Team Magma and Team Aqua, he received unlimited funding and all the time in the world to conduct his experiments. Nobody at the facility knew the current experiment plan, but at the same time, nobody cared. They all trusted it was for the furthering of science, and it was this belief that Dr. Grand was taking advantage. This experiment was solely for furthering his plans of domination.

Leaving the audience chamber and entering his private room, he smiled wickedly at the captive he housed: normally, a rather large, Pokémon; however, due to a rather ingenious little device called a shrinking cage, the beast was imprisoned at about a fraction of its normal size and muzzled. The cage itself was rather small and normally wouldn't fit the beast in question, yet it was enchanted to shrink anything that it caged, enchanted by the means of harvesting and studying cells from Palkia. He loved taunting it; it wasn't often that a legendary Pokémon was captured but to imprison the god of Pokémon, that was truly spectacular.

“The most powerful of all Pokémon, the Creator, bends her knee to me, willingly or unwillingly. Enjoy your little cage as that is the only small comfort you will be receiving for a long time my little rodent. Hehehaha.

The only response Dr. Grand got was a whimper.

----

He couldn't sleep. He didn't want hide the true problem, but even he was having trouble admitting it to himself. Leafblade lied next to Harmony, whom was fast asleep. A week earlier, a particular nightmare haunted him to the point of insomnia. A troubling vision of seeing his both his and Zix's family dead among a mass of bodies. He thought it was just a night terror, yet the same vision resurfaced the night before last, this time in greater detail, almost to the point of reality. He feared that a day in the near future would be the third and final time he would see the nightmare. The lizard Pokémon removed himself away from his mate and went to take a breath of fresh air. The sweat that Leafblade found himself drenched in slowly evaporated as the cool night air flowed across his scaly skin.

A midnight chill hovered in the air and not a sound could be heard. To the grass type, true peace could only be attained through calm and quiet. Leafblade looked around at the familiar landscape about him before settling himself on that pavement in front of the house. His current residence used to be a rather run down shack that him and his partner shared; however, during some time before they saved the world, it was remodeled to the point that it was one of the more unique yet classy structures around the city. From where he sat now at the end of the walkway that led to house, a path that led out of town laid in his immediate direction he was facing while at his right showed the way to the various friend areas around Cityburg. Then finally a path heading to his left led directly to the city. To top off the scenery, trees surrounded the area aside from the walkways leading to and from the town.

An overhead shriek of Zubats startled the famous rescuer from his stupor , and it was apparently enough to wake his mate from sleep. Leafblade could hear the small gasp escape her mouth as she found out he was missing, but then a heavy sigh as he turned to see her standing in the doorway. To many, she looked no different than any ordinary Sceptile; however, Leafblade instantly fell in love with her at a party a few years ago. Ironically it was the annual celebration of the Natural Cataclysm, the year when a falling meteor was blown to chunks thanks to Rayquaza and Team Tectonic for alerting the dragon in time. Even though by looks, she was no different than the average Sceptile, it was everything else that mattered. Unlike others who often joked about settling down with the ex-human, she looked past that awkwardness. Not only that, after there meeting at the party, she was one at his side day and night when he was afflicted with a heavy fever and severe wheezing the following year.They had been together ever since.

She was still a beauty to behold in Leafblade's eyes, so he admired her for a bit longer before he had the nerve to ask her what was wrong.

“I'm worried about you; that's what's wrong.” There was no anger in her tone or in her eyes, only concern. “Have you been thinking about those nightmares.”

When her mate made no attempt to argue against her claim, she continued, “If this is keeping you awake at night, you need to tell me. I don't want to see you wither away and become a shell of who you are. We are expecting this egg any day, but you haven't been showing much emotion about it. Tell, what is it you fear?”

The male Sceptile looked toward the ground in shame. Tears began to well up along the outer edge of his eyes. He slowly walked to her, drops of water poured out of him like rain. He reached her and sobbed quietly in her embrace. The scene was having a dampening effect in her mood as she tried to comfort her fellow mate. Escorting him back inside, she made vain attempts to calm whatever it was that had Leafblade emotionally unstable. Finally, after about thirty minutes, the truth spilled out. The recounting his recent nightmares were laid out in the open, and Harmony was beginning to regret in prodding for it. Once he was finished, they sat there in silence for a few moments before Harmony could muster her strength to speak.

“I wish you would have told be this the first time this occurred, but that is history. What's important is now.”

Harmony began nuzzling her snout against the side of his neck, spurring a sudden race of ecstasy over the other.

“Now, now, what about-”

“It's alright; I'll be fine. Besides, you need to take your mind off your terrors and focus on more of the pleasures life has given you, so allow me to remind you what those are."

Smiling at his wife, he took her advise. True to her intent, he did sleep peacefully the rest of the night.

Last edited: