• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Shape of Family: Poipole's Feelings! (1027)

Jangobadass

Surprise!
I'm not sure how to feel about this episode...:confused:

I'm like "Wow, they REALLY didn't plan Poipole's arc well at all, did they?". Giving it an attack and some depth is too little, too late after months of it being there doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but being cute. This may be even worse than Squishy (which is saying something unto itself)

I did, however, enjoy Mina, hope she comes back, and got a kick out of the Skull Trio.

Also...is anyone else curious about if they'll edit Poipole attacking Lycanroc's butt? o_O

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I'm not sure how to feel about this episode...:confused:

I'm like "Wow, they REALLY didn't plan Poipole's arc well at all, did they?". Giving it an attack and some depth is too little, too late after months of it being there doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but being cute. This may be even worse than Squishy (which is saying something unto itself)

The entire point of this episode is establishing that Poipole thinks of Ash and company as its family, which has been developing throughout the show, such as Ash scolding it for pranking Nanu like a father would, the Minior episode, and other minor bits of interaction.

Learning a new move is not the only type of development.

Poipole is essentially a baby, so it had do what babies do and grow up.

Zhydra

Master of Chaos!
The entire point of this episode is establishing that Poipole thinks of Ash and company as its family, which has been developing throughout the show, such as Ash scolding it for pranking Nanu like a father would, the Minior episode, and other minor bits of interaction.

That and Poipoles move pool is pathetic in the games anyways. (Fury attack I can forgive since it's offensive stats are even.)
We were given this foreshadowing at the Ula'ula trial with his reaction to Ultra Necrozma, the intro with his attraction to light as well as Poipoles nature of being well liked that he is considered a starter, being an Ultra Beast (Kind of alien) a pre evolution among other things, make his slow growth as a baby much more logical.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Dumb question, but did this episode clarify what Poipole is sad about? Is it sad because its homesick or is it sad because it knows it has to leave eventually, or does it involve Naganadel?

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Dumb question, but did this episode clarify what Poipole is sad about? Is it sad because its homesick or is it sad because it knows it has to leave eventually, or does it involve Naganadel?
Poipole is definitely sad about something based on its dream but it didn’t clarify what it was actually sad about. It seemed that no one got that figured out.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Poipole is definitely sad about something based on its dream but it didn’t clarify what it was actually sad about. It seemed that no one got that figured out.
alright thanks :)

Shotgunrain

So I just watched the episode with subs and the ending scene made it seem like Poipole has an affection for Ultra Necrozma. So this is my theory:

Ultra Necrozma provided light to Poipole's world in the past.
The Ultra Recon Squad decided to capture Necrozma for themselves.
The Naganadel in Poipole's dream tried to fight off the URS but failed.
The URS captured Necrozma (like in USUM) and resulted in the light vanishing from Poipole's world.

SM087 will be Necrozma escaping from Ultra Megalopolis and entering Alola. The Lunala that is going to appear will be revealed to belong to the URS. They do own Solgaleo and Lunala in the games after all.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
alright thanks :)
Cool. The closest they have probably been is with Poipole drawing Ultra Necrozma at the end and Rotom figuring out it’s Kagayaki-sama at the end. No one at that point knows it’s Ultra Necrozma.

XXD17

Draco rex
Its nice that Poipole finally got to battle, I guess I can stop calling Nebby 2.0 since it actually got to do something, I won't go into any further detail on that.

I noticed that some people predict that the Naganadel that's its leader will die fighting Ultra Necrozma resulting in Poipole evolving and taking its place, personally I hope that's not the case.

Granted I applaud the Alola arc for dealing with the subject of death, and not bringing those that died back from the dead, but honestly I'd rather have Poipole/Naganadel stay as a permanent member I'd rather not have another Ash-Greninja scenario where the writer's get rid of it to prevent Ash from being too powerful even though he always leaves his Pokemon behind (besides Pikarat, I mean Pikachu) everytime he goes to a new region
I see it more as the naganadel is dying at the moment and that is why poipole is looking for ultra necrozma's light to revitalize it and restore its world, which is barely holding on.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
Finally, Poipole did something other than just being cute. It’s nice to know that Poipole knows a move, albeit its a rather weak move but still, it knows something. Poipole got a lot of development and I loved the fact that it was able to express it’s feelings through drawing and tell those that it loves that it cares about them. Poor Poipole, I felt so bad for it when it had that nightmare. Naganadel was not doing too well, looks like it was dying.

I really enjoyed Mina’s character. She definitely seemed to a lot like her game counterpart. Now, we have seen all of the trial captains in the anime, right? We keep seeing Team Skull so when is Guzma finally going to make his appearance?

Poipole is drawing Ultra Necrozma now? Oh boy, does this basically confirm that we will see Ultra Necrozma in the future? Either way, I can’t wait.

Overall, this was decent episode. I think last weeks is better though. I feel it could have been a lot better but I still think it was a pretty good episode. I give it a 6 out of 10.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros

I'm pretty sure @Jangobadass meant the development Poipole got in the episode wasn't enough based on how long it's been with the cast and/or too late.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I didn't go into this episode expecting much, and I was actually pleasantly surprised. Mina was an...interesting character, as I predicted she would be; I think the writers captured the slight "Bunny Ears Lawyer" aspect of her game counterpart pretty well. Thanks to her and her Ribombee, we, the audience, got more insight into Poipole's character, and I think she was the perfect (game) character to do that.

Speaking of Poipole... Am I only the one who found it rather adorable in this episode? My heart went out to it during that nightmare sequence and when it was painting tears next to its portrait on the wall. (I appreciated that Pikachu immediately realized Poipole was sad, and that Ash only went to Mina so her Ribombee could confirm what he already knew.)

I see it more as the naganadel is dying at the moment and that is why poipole is looking for ultra necrozma's light to revitalize it and restore its world, which is barely holding on.
That's the impression I got, as well—that the Naganadel was dying, or at least very ill. I think Poipole's mission might be to find Ultra Necrozma so it can use its light to rescue the Naganadel and restore Poipole's world. That is why Poipole is so drawn to light, and one reason why it is so fond of Ash's Pikachu—the other reason being that Poipole sees Pikachu as part of its Alolan family.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Iwane and Shimura's animation+Asada's storyboard is an amazing combo, this episode looked fantastic, and the story was also pretty interesting

hottom3rd

cool episode. was pleasantly surprised at the story progression. Poison baby is cute asf as usual, pika and ash maintain their ability to sense feelings. Artist san and skull gang were funny, the drawing bit was a good laugh. Overall good.

Fury attack looked pretty cool BTW for being such a weaker move.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was glad to see the Skull-dan play a role here, because we got a chance to see Satoshi's Bevenom battle even if it was a fast skirmish. However, it would've been cool to see a stronger move than Fury Attack.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I might be the only one who's totally fine with Poipole getting Fury Attack. It's one of the only moves that Poipole gets that Ash also has a Z-crystal for, so he should be able to use Breakneck Blitz with Poipole. So it now has two moves confirmed: Toxic and Fury Attack.

Ashfahad123

Assalamualaikum
I might be the only one who's totally fine with Poipole getting Fury Attack. It's one of the only moves that Poipole gets that Ash also has a Z-crystal for, so he should be able to use Breakneck Blitz with Poipole. So it now has two moves confirmed: Toxic and Fury Attack.
Is Toxic confirmed?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Is Toxic confirmed?

Not by name, but it used it both in this episode to deflect Salandit's Toxic and in its capture episode to poison Rowlet. It's the only move it could be, it's a poison-type move that isn't Sludge Bomb or Sludge Wave (looks very different), and it causes poison status (so it's not Acid or Venoshock).

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Saw a clip of this episode in English and I can't stand Poipole's English voice

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Saw a clip of this episode in English and I can't stand Poipole's English voice
What is it even? I find it really weird and the the Japanese voice is definitely cuter.