• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Shippers Confessional Thread

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
In spite of practically being a lifelong PokeShipper, I think the absolute best romance story I've witnessed in Pokemon media was Brendan and May in ORAS. The way they straddled the line of not going too far since they're still kids, but also building a very sweet and wholesome relationship between the two was just perfect, in my opinion. Of course, they didn't make them an official couple, but it definitely left the door open for that as they grow older. And my goodness, when they watched that meteor shower at the end of the Delta Episode, it was the perfect culmination of everything their dynamic had been building to.

Also, I will open myself up for criticism and say I have yet to read Special/Adventures, and I know there's apparently some shippy stuff in there. Definitely a blind spot I need to get to soon.

World Turtle

After some self-reflection I think I and many of us here and frankly the Internet at large (especially twitter) are victims of confirmation bias.

“Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.[1]People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs. Confirmation bias cannot be eliminated, but it can be managed, for example, by education and training in critical thinking skills.”

I think on the Internet where there are so many points of views and clashing opinions that it’s very easy to feel overwhelmed. To feel alone and be unsure of what’s right or wrong. Especially when it’s about something that matters to you. Which leads to a desire to be right rather than do right.

So we surround ourselves in echo chambers with like minded people in a need to reassure ourselves that we’re right so when we meet someone who disagrees we can fall back on our group (surely if all these people agree with us, we just be right, right?) to reassure us that we’re right and that this person is wrong.

Shipping is very much entrenched in this mindset. The term “shipping goggles” are a thing for a reason. We see and hear what we want to see and hear and will twist things to fit our desires.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
After some self-reflection I think I and many of us here and frankly the Internet at large (especially twitter) are victims of confirmation bias.

“Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.[1]People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs. Confirmation bias cannot be eliminated, but it can be managed, for example, by education and training in critical thinking skills.”

I think on the Internet where there are so many points of views and clashing opinions that it’s very easy to feel overwhelmed. To feel alone and be unsure of what’s right or wrong. Especially when it’s about something that matters to you. Which leads to a desire to be right rather than do right.

So we surround ourselves in echo chambers with like minded people in a need to reassure ourselves that we’re right so when we meet someone who disagrees we can fall back on our group (surely if all these people agree with us, we just be right, right?) to reassure us that we’re right and that this person is wrong.

Shipping is very much entrenched in this mindset. The term “shipping goggles” are a thing for a reason. We see and hear what we want to see and hear and will twist things to fit our desires.
Man, you said a mouthful. Worst part is, pretty much all of us have fallen victim to confirmation bias at one point or another, in the shipping community or otherwise.

There's nothing inherently wrong with surrounding yourself with like-minded people, but you really have to learn to step outside of your echo chamber and see what it's like on the outside for a while for some perspective, which is getting increasingly harder to do on the internet with social media, algorithms, and the like.

At least in the shipping community, the end results are usually harmless in the long run and at worst just result in childish bickering online. But once you extend the concept of confirmation bias into the real world with politics and such, that's where things start to get dangerous. However, I don't think anyone came here for a political dissertation, so I'll just leave it at that.

As far as shipping goes, a ton of people on here better brace to come to terms with the fact that things may not go the way they want during this final stretch of Ash's journey (and I include myself in that). It might be a bit upsetting, but people have to realize it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. The world still turns and life goes on. Besides, there's still tons of great art, stories, and various other kinds of fan made works that have been inspired by all the popular ships that can be enjoyed regardless of canonicity.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
I support RocketShipping 100%, but I've never been much of a RocketShipper myself. I think it comes down to the fact that it's just too obvious. I mean, is there any doubt there's something going on between Jessie and James at this point? No sense in even speculating.

Morax

King of heroes
I support RocketShipping 100%, but I've never been much of a RocketShipper myself. I think it comes down to the fact that it's just too obvious. I mean, is there any doubt there's something going on between Jessie and James at this point? No sense in even speculating.
Lol they have never expressed romantic interest in each other. Don't know where you're getting this 'obvious' thing from.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
I knew from the start firstfriendshipping wouldn't have any chance, mainly for one big reason. It's probably why I default back to supporting pokeshipping.

Morax

King of heroes
I knew from the start firstfriendshipping wouldn't have any chance, mainly for one big reason. It's probably why I default back to supporting pokeshipping.
Don't wanna jump into this rabbit hole again but none of the ships have a chance at happening because Ash is not interested in girls and never will be.

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
If Liko and Amethio were the same age their ship would've been the most popular ship since Amour

Dark_King25

Shillmon Defender
I have yet to see a geekchicshipper who genuinely likes Serena or XY

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Clemont ships wise...

Not going to lie, I kind of support he with Iris as a crack pairing

(I'm weird)