• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Shocking Zygarde VS Zygarde! The Breaking World!! (936)

Xuxuba

I agree that the series tended to be pulling a George R Martin with Flare until very recently, at least in the main anime. It does seem to be paying off finally, but alas a lot of build up was lost in favour of repetitive filler (same with the league).

From what I've seen of Galactic, it seemed a bit more underwhelming, though that might just be for the obvious reason that I watched it in dub form (though I suspect Charon may return to crash on Ash's couch for a few days :p). Not to mention the animation, while not bad, can't compare to the almost cinematic experience of XY.

I actually think that TF had better build up if we take into account that the ME acts end up being a build up to this finale.
IMO, they were far more interesting than seeing Team Galactic steal an orb for example, that was the kind of stuff that even Team Magma and Team Aqua used to do.

FulgoreX

Banned
After that, they got the brief appearences you mentioned, just to keep us informed of what they were doing which is a really good thing compared to the way TG was treated, where we would wait lots of episodes just to see them again and we had no idea what they were doing before.l.

Galactic and Hunter J appeared all throughout DP, and I think what people liked is they appeared during the region instead of just the tail-end like Team Flare. The first two years of XY have no villain team at all, so I can understand why people prefer to see them early.

andrewscott48209

Galactic and Hunter J appeared all throughout DP, and I think what people liked is they appeared during the region instead of just the tail-end like Team Flare. The first two years of XY have no villain team at all, so I can understand why people prefer to see them early.

Either way, it's better than the Team Plasma arc. They didn't even show up until after the league ended anyway.

Xuxuba

Yeah, but they didn't appear in the end of the saga. Leaving the evil team's finale as a post league arc allows them to keep things interesting even after the League is over. Since Ash already had Gym Leaders to beat and Serena had Showcases to win, they didn't need a villain as much as the post league arc needs.

Think of the first half of the saga as a sport anime (which usually doesn't have villains at all) and the latter half of the saga as a shonen anime where the protagonist's focus isn't winning a championship, but defeating the antagonist.

Last edited:

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Either way, we can all agree that TG and TF is much better than TM/TA. It's a little unfair to call TP crap because they needed to cancel the big episode at such an unfortunate timing. I felt like it had a lot of potential.

DatsRight

Team Plasma was at least interesting for being a developed 'evil vs evil' arc where Team Rocket were legitimate rivals to the new evil group rather than outclassed comic relief, even if the height of the rivalry ended up being cut out. Still the trio outgambitting Plasma's brainwash plot on Meowth and going completely badass in their final showdown was a most entertaining sight we rarely get to see.

It looked like Flare was going the same way, but alas it was just a one time battle (even if the trio seem to be useful in a different way).

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Either way, we can all agree that TG and TF is much better than TM/TA. It's a little unfair to call TP crap because they needed to cancel the big episode at such an unfortunate timing. I felt like it had a lot of potential.

At least Mega Evolution Act III sort of incorporated the Emerald TM/TA climax with that epic Charizard X & Mega Metagross v Primal Groudon v Primal Kyogre v Mega Rayquaza.

Man, I'm still hoping there will be an episode in rest of XY (ideally in the next 3-4 episodes) that could top ME:III.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I still laugh every time I watch Ash bust out of his confines with Greninja.

If only because i'm reminded of how people feared him getting Lucario due to the potential of pulling super power stunts, yet here we are.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
The order of Alain's priorities is really bizarre. He can use his other Pokémon for a battle against is husbando, but not to ensure the protection of the world.

It's weird too because his other Pokémon aren't even close to weak. Especially not Bisharp.

But I guess when you have a broken Charizard like his, you don't need a team.

DotKU

Champion
The greatness continues!

Seriously, all the praise I had has already been said. But it's really nice to see that this is coming along pretty well for what seems like the real purpose of XYZ.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics

Actually the TF plot already began with the second ME special when Lysandre wanted to investigate the Rock in Rayquaza's tower. If we are talking about characters, then already in the first ME special since both most important character (Alain and Lysandre) are debuting in it.

Of course not as many episodes as lets say TA/TM and TG, but I think those ME specials were the set up for the TF arc in an unique way. And Hunter J being in the TG climax was also out of nowhere and she her role into the whole plot wasn't really necessary.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Maybe it's my sadistic personality, but I really enjoyed Ash's torture too much.

Tootheorist

Cn i ask about Lys' purpose to extract Ash's bond phenomenon? I mean he already got the ME energy to control Zygarde so he's pretty much had his goal already..why would he torture Ash again?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Cn i ask about Lys' purpose to extract Ash's bond phenomenon? I mean he already got the ME energy to control Zygarde so he's pretty much had his goal already..why would he torture Ash again?

He's trying to push his power to new limits or he's trying to get stronger without the stone. I'm just guessing.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Galactic was great for how they appeared throughout Sinnoh and interacted more often with the protagonists, but these last two episodes by themselves have been some of the best in the series.

There's a greater sense of dread to me with Team Flare. Spear Pillar was literally a black void of nothingness (and a serious disservice to the source material...), where you couldn't really tell what sort of impact the manipulation of Dialga/Palkia was having on the real world beyond spooky black clouds. Here, you've got Lysandre appearing on TV screens and mobile devices around the Region to announce doomsday, all after leaving the heart of Kalos in complete ruin, and having his flunkies terrorize people on the ground further. It's ironic to me that while controlling Zygarde isn't on the same scale as the Space/Time Pokemon, he still feels more like a man in total control because of how much we actually see going down. And literally every major character in XY is pitching in to stop him.

The pacing wasn't as good, but I do still like what we were given over time. It's done a better job at getting me to care about the characters. We had Alain as a secondary protagonist [unwittingly] working for them to protect others, and through him Lysandre has a more important role than merely being the big bad. He was Alain's boss, he has Chespin in the hospital, and he was seemingly a good man working for better causes. All of which helps to make today's episode more impactful. Alain breaks down, Chespin needs to be retrieved, we get Team Flare's history of helping the needy, etc. We also had the Zygarde with thoughts and feelings during Z, so its more than just a powerful being tied to a leash now. It's "Puni-Chan!!", which grants Bonnie further relevance, and Z2's hatred of humans lines right up with Lysandre's motivations.

So basically. The low key buildup took a damn long time, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the payoff is totally worth it.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Why is Lysandre only using two against seven? He had Honchcrow and Mienshou in the games

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
It was a never a question of if TF can surpass TG, it was how much better TF will be. These kind of stuff are suppose to become better and better each time as the writers learn from their mistakes. The fact that the beginning of the TF arc wasn't that much better than TG concerns me especially after the sacrifice the league had to make. A hyped-up A-plot being slightly better than a whatever B-plot is kind of sad. Hopefully the TF arc can pick up from here, because it needs to.