• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Singles Rate Thread [READ THE FIRST POST + FOLLOW THE FORMAT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defy all 0dds

Joltik Lover~
Working around a Nature

After long effort I finally managed to get a Shiny Articuno in my SoulSilver. I plan on transferring it to White for a casual play through. However, its nature is Lonely, and Articuno has a lack of physical moves. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good move set for this guy? I was thinking of something like Ice Beam, Ancient power (to eliminate fire types), agility, and aerial ace.

Thanks!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
^
IMO, teach it Water Pulse instead of Ancientpower. Same base power and accuracy and also hits Fire, but the advantage of Water Pulse is that it has more PP.
You need to teach it Water Pulse while it is still on 4th Gen, though. There's no way to teach it Water Pulse in 5th Gen.

And give it Return instead of Agility.
Agility isn't that useful for in-game, since your Articuno will eventually outlevel (and thus outspeed) everything anyway even without a Speed boost.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Adding onto what Shine said, also go with Fly > Aerial Ace. There's no reason not to use Fly in-game since your opponent isn't going to switch or anything, and Fly is considerably more powerful than Aerial Ace.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Sceptile @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
Adamant - 252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Leaf Blade
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake/Rock Slide
-Drain Punch/Rock Slide/Earthquake/Outrage

Leaf Blade for the STAB, and Swords Dance to increase it's sub-par Attack stat. The problem I have is between the last two moveslots; I'm considering Drain Punch to counter the Life Orb recoil or any other damage (but since it's pretty frail, I think it's get KO'd in one strong, neutral hit), but Earthquake hits the Steels who'd otherwise wall me as well, while also hitting Fire types. Rock Slide hits the Bugs, Flying and Ice (and Fire), but misses out on Steel.
And then Outrage is for the Dragons like Garchomp, Haxorus and Hydreigon (I'm also considering pairing it with Dragon Gem, to get a SD temporary STAB-boosted Outrage, but I don't know).
I'm going to use this in OU, or whatever the standard 'tier' for matches is, by the way.

So yeah.

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
^ Drain Punch is redundant with Earthquake, they get similiar coverage in most cases, I'd replace it with Thunderpunch or Rock Slide to enhance your coverage. Other than that, everything seems fine.

KillerDraco

^ Drain Punch is redundant with Earthquake, they get similiar coverage in most cases, I'd replace it with Thunderpunch or Rock Slide to enhance your coverage. Other than that, everything seems fine.

I'd go with Rock Slide over Thunderpunch. Both hit Flying types hard, but Rock Slide also hits Ice, Fire (although EQ hits most of these harder), and Bug types much harder than Thunderpunch would. Plus, with Sceptile's impressive speed, the flinch chance, albeit a low one, is always a possibility. The only downside would be the imperfect accuracy, but I'd say the pros outweigh the cons.

RoySceptile

Bakaner
Awesome; I'll go with Swords Dance, Leaf Blade, Earthquake & Rock Slide.
Thanks to the both of you.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I've gone ahead and updated the list of sets, adding all the sets that have been posted recently and also going over all the old sets and making sure that all Hidden Power slots have an alternative slashed beside it, but let me know if something's wrong :) Just a reminder to please use the format listed in the OP, because it's pretty annoying having to fix up formats myself so I can add sets to the OP :s

Kalosian

So long
I'm making a mono Dark team which I had planned to use a mixed Sharpedo on, but I am not sure exactly what moveset to go with. The first post in this thread didn't have any movesets listed, and Smogon is down so I can't check there either. This is what I could come up with myself:

319.png

Sharpedo
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Rash
EVs: 164 Atk / 252 SpA / 94 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Aqua Jet

Not sure exactly what EVs to give it, the ones above gives it the same stat for Attack and Special Attack while the rest goes to Speed. It should get pretty fast after just one Speed Boost, though I am not sure if the given EVs are good enough. Also not sure which move to use in the last slot, Earthquake gives it perfect coverage together with the other moves, while Aqua Jet gives it a priority move which is always useful to have. But that might not be necessary since it will get faster through Speed Boost, so I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
I'd run Earthquake in the last slot. EQ allows you to hit Steel-types for super-effective damage, which is quite useful (especially on a mono-Dark team, since Steel resists Dark). Aqua Jet is pretty weak and also unnecessary when you have Speed Boost. You might find that Protect > Ice Beam works better, as you'll be able to get a free Speed Boost in.

Personally I'd just dump your Spe EVs into HP. Assuming you're just using this in-game and aren't taking it on wi-fi (in which case, you can keep your EVs as they are), with 0 Spe EVs, after one Speed Boost you outspeed the entire game apart from +Spe Electrode, +Spe Accelgor, Ninjask and Deoxys, since opponents don't EV train.

Kalosian

So long
I'd run Earthquake in the last slot. EQ allows you to hit Steel-types for super-effective damage, which is quite useful (especially on a mono-Dark team, since Steel resists Dark). Aqua Jet is pretty weak and also unnecessary when you have Speed Boost. You might find that Protect > Ice Beam works better, as you'll be able to get a free Speed Boost in.

Personally I'd just dump your Spe EVs into HP. Assuming you're just using this in-game and aren't taking it on wi-fi (in which case, you can keep your EVs as they are), with 0 Spe EVs, after one Speed Boost you outspeed the entire game apart from +Spe Electrode, +Spe Accelgor, Ninjask and Deoxys, since opponents don't EV train.
Good points, I will use Earthquake and shift the Speed EVs to HP, and I'll also consider Protect over Ice Beam. Thanks!

Last edited:

Seatiger

Vanilluxe-Leftovers
Ice Body
Timid/Modest
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Ice beam
-Flash Canon
-Up Roar
-Hidden Power (Ground)

Not sure if its the best setup but I didn't notice this Pokemon on the list

Aura Sensei™

User Title
It isn't in the OP actually. Too lazy to use the correct format but I believe this is the best it can use due to it's shallow Movepool.

Vanilluxe @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
Nature: Timid
EVs: 68 Hp / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Water Pulse / Signal Beam / Hidden Power [Electric]

It's Offensive Movepool is literally limited to that unless you want to run Hail + Blizzard which is pointless, unless you want to abuse Ice Body. The EVs let you outspeed positive Garchomp and the rest is used to max SpA and add some bulk. Alternatively, we could use a stall set as well;

Vanilluxe @ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

Lastly, Autotomize is an option, although Vanilluxe dosen't outspeed anything notable that the first set dosen't, tbh. Vanilluxe has a few options, but not really in terms of attacking moves.

Macroboom

Beyond Infinity
Something I noticed. On Cloyster's entry, you still have Shell Break and Shell Blade. These should be replaced with Shell Smash and Razor Shell.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
The OP needs to be updated asap.

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
Nature: Mild
EVs: 108 Hp / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power

Due to Kyu-B's natural bulk, it is able to set up on a variety of things with minimal Hp investement, and due to it's amazing Attacking stats, demolish nearly anything in it's way. Ice Beam is a STAB, the main reason for using it over a Physical Dragon Type Move is that it hits Dragons harder. Fusion Bolt hits Water Types that resist Ice Beam and don't give a **** about Earth Power. Earth Power rounds off the coverage by hitting things like Heatran.

Status
Not open for further replies.