• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Singles Rate Thread [Read the Rules and Follow the Format]

It depends on if this Linoone would be for In-Game or competitive battles since Covet isn't a very good move for competitive battles. Quick Attack allows Linoone to outrun other priorty-users. The only way you could have Covet is if you run a no-item set, which isn't all the best. Strength does work since it has good power and has STAB and works well with Odor Sleuth.

Leafy Sea Dragon

Ah alright, I'm not doing competitive (yet) by the way. So far I'm just rematching every trainer until I think I'm good enough to face the E4 again for Deoxys. Would you have any recommendations on Super Training as well?

If the IV checker said what he did then Linoone probably has near 31Atk IVs so 252Atk. Either 252Spd or 252HP if you are going for the Elite 4 and Deoxys. Put the extra 4 probably in Defense because most fighting type moves you will see are physical.

Are we allowed to ask about ratings for contest movesets here? Because my Cosplay Pikachu needs some help with Toughness contests (and all contests in general, because I've never bothered with them before.)

Cosplay Pikachu@Yellow Scarf
Docile/Lightning Rod
All contest conditions maxed
-Wild Charge
-Flying Press
-Dig
-Strength

AmphyLucky13

Purduuuu Says Amphy
Are we allowed to ask about ratings for contest movesets here? Because my Cosplay Pikachu needs some help with Toughness contests (and all contests in general, because I've never bothered with them before.)

Cosplay Pikachu@Yellow Scarf
Docile/Lightning Rod
All contest conditions maxed
-Wild Charge
-Flying Press
-Dig
-Strength

I have not tried out Cosplay Pikachu yet, but I have excelled with other pokemon. Here's what I think would help you.

Replace Dig with Thunder Wave and Flying Press with an alternative appeal move: Slam, that can work with Strength during the contest. (Can't use the same move twice or it doesn't go well). Thunder Wave is not a tough contest move, however because it startles all other pokemon before you, that will prevent the other contestants from moving. As for strategy, I would use in the following order this: 1. Strength or Slam, 2. Thunder Wave, 3. Strength or Slam (whichever one you didn't use before), and 4. Wild Charge. The last move has great appeal and you won't need to worry about being startled during that turn. Hope that helps!

I need an opinion on if this below would work well against the elite 4 on alpha sapphire.

Meganium @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
EV: 252 Hp / 252 Spe / 4 Sp.A
-Leaf Storm
-Giga Drain
-Leech Seed
-Protect

I have no interest in competitive battling other than just having fun with the sets. Any opinion or extra thoughts would be appreciated! :)

I have not tried out Cosplay Pikachu yet, but I have excelled with other pokemon. Here's what I think would help you.

Replace Dig with Thunder Wave and Flying Press with an alternative appeal move: Slam, that can work with Strength during the contest. (Can't use the same move twice or it doesn't go well). Thunder Wave is not a tough contest move, however because it startles all other pokemon before you, that will prevent the other contestants from moving. As for strategy, I would use in the following order this: 1. Strength or Slam, 2. Thunder Wave, 3. Strength or Slam (whichever one you didn't use before), and 4. Wild Charge. The last move has great appeal and you won't need to worry about being startled during that turn. Hope that helps!

I need an opinion on if this below would work well against the elite 4 on alpha sapphire.

Meganium @ Leftovers
Nature: Modest
EV: 252 Hp / 252 Spe / 4 Sp.A
-Leaf Storm
-Giga Drain
-Leech Seed
-Protect

I have no interest in competitive battling other than just having fun with the sets. Any opinion or extra thoughts would be appreciated! :)

Why do people put Leaf Storm on things that aren't Contrary Serperior? It doesn't benefit you when your other moves are special attacks, too, aside from that first turn of huge damage. I might be wrong about that, however, since you can just switch out and remove the stat nerfs, but it's a hassle when dealing with in-game foes like the E4. I dunno, maybe I'm just lazy, but I would do:

Meganium@Leftovers
Calm, Leaf Guard (when the PokéBank promo is released)
252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 SpA
-Solar Beam
-Sunny Day
-Leech Seed
-Giga Drain/Synthesis

That way you have some bulk, some recovery, and a blast of offense that doesn't require switching out every other turn. I don't even think you'll need the full 252 HP EVs, you'd only need just enough to get the maximum amount of Leftovers recovery, then the rest can be pumped into Sp.Atk.

Anyway, thanks for the help with Toughness contests, but it took so long for a reply that I just pushed forward without any advice. I've since beaten all the contests, and have now converted my Cosplay Pikachu to a battler, since her new moves give her great coverage.

Cosplay Pikachu@Light Orb
Docile, Lightning Rod
No concern for IVs or EVs, since she can't be used over WiFi.
-Wild Charge
-Icicle Crash
-Brick Break
-Return

Also, I'm in the process of training a Bisharp on X version, but I'm not sure that I have his moveset right. Can I have someone take a look at it?

Bisharp@Leftovers
Naughty, Defiant
No interest in EVs or IVs, this isn't for anything competitive.
-Iron Head
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-X-Scissor

Thanks for the complete lack of advice, everyone. It's really kind of you guys to not offer any help whatsoever... :mad:

Last edited:

Skullkraken

Masuda Methodist
Thinking about trying out a special-attacking Mienshao since it has a passable Special Attack stat, good speed, and access to Calm Mind. Its special movepool is kinda terribad though. I already have physical sets so I don't need recommendations for that type of Mienshao. How does it look?

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Regenerator/Inner Focus
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere / Focus Blast
- Hidden Power (Ice/Dark)
- Grass Knot

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Thinking about trying out a special-attacking Mienshao since it has a passable Special Attack stat, good speed, and access to Calm Mind. Its special movepool is kinda terribad though. I already have physical sets so I don't need recommendations for that type of Mienshao. How does it look?

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Regenerator/Inner Focus
Timid
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere / Focus Blast
- Hidden Power (Ice/Dark)
- Grass Knot

To be honest, I really don't think Meinshao has the bulk to boost with Calm Mind. I think it would be better to run a Specs set with the exact nature and EVs as you have , but add in U-Turn to boost Regenerator's effectiveness and allow it to get out of situations if it needs to.

Skullkraken

Masuda Methodist
To be honest, I really don't think Meinshao has the bulk to boost with Calm Mind. I think it would be better to run a Specs set with the exact nature and EVs as you have , but add in U-Turn to boost Regenerator's effectiveness and allow it to get out of situations if it needs to.

Thanks for the tip! Specs does the job nicely. I might try Choice Scarf too depending on the situation.

Thanks for the tip! Specs does the job nicely. I might try Choice Scarf too depending on the situation.

I would say to stay with Specs if you're running a special Meinshao set. It's speed is good enough anyways and you really want it in Special Attack.

Lickage

Mega-Beedrill is 1 of my favorite mega's but those Galewing Talonflames and pesky stealth rocks destroy my beedrill. So I wanted to add a Kabutops to my team to counter those threats. But I really need some advice on the build for this thing to work :) anny advice is welcome!

Kabutops
Ability
Nature (If applicable)
EVs (If applicable)
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Move 3
- Move 4

Did I just find the best swirlix/slurpuff

Default Is this a perfect swirlix/slurpuff ?
Swirlix
Ability-Sweet Veil
Nature-Adamant
All IVs are perfect for what I am doing
At level they are
Attack 6
Defense 6
Sp.Attack 5
Sp.Defense 6
Speed 6

Moves-Sweet sent Tackle BELLY DRUM

Thank you in advance. I am thinking of making him speed and attack for a strong sweeper. What's a good moves set and thanks in advance

GooberTheAlmightyMudkip

I herd u liek me?
All right, I require assistance with my misdreavus. Should I leave it unevolved and give it an eviolite, or evolve it and make it hold specs or scarf?

TheScoobyDawg

Pokemon Master
Okay, so I'll jump right in and say I'm new to the competitive scene, so I thought that the Battle Maison would be a great place to test my skills. That said, I don't have much BP at the moment so I'm severely limited with items as well.

Here's what I've got so far:
Kangaskhan w/ Kangaskhanite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Scrappy/Parental Bond
252Atk, 252Spe, 4HP
Return
Earthquake
Crunch
Power up Punch

I want to build my team with good ol' Kangaskhan as my lead.
I've been thinking Volcarona Modest or Bold as a special sweeper to cover Kangaskhans inability to do much against physical walls.
Also thinking about adding Skill Link Cloyster as well, for type coverage. What's the best nature?
Possible moveset:
Rock Blast
Icicle Spear
Shell Smash
??

Held item ideas for Cloyster and Volcarona? Or maybe different Pokemon altogether? Crippling status moves?

Reisuke

Apparently i died
Okay, so I'll jump right in and say I'm new to the competitive scene, so I thought that the Battle Maison would be a great place to test my skills. That said, I don't have much BP at the moment so I'm severely limited with items as well.

Here's what I've got so far:
Kangaskhan w/ Kangaskhanite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Scrappy/Parental Bond
252Atk, 252Spe, 4HP
Return
Earthquake
Crunch
Power up Punch

I want to build my team with good ol' Kangaskhan as my lead.
I've been thinking Volcarona Modest or Bold as a special sweeper to cover Kangaskhans inability to do much against physical walls.
Also thinking about adding Skill Link Cloyster as well, for type coverage. What's the best nature?
Possible moveset:
Rock Blast
Icicle Spear
Shell Smash
??

Held item ideas for Cloyster and Volcarona? Or maybe different Pokemon altogether? Crippling status moves?

I think this is the wrong place you're asking. Anyway battle mansion is one of the worst places. Your kang really looks to be ripped from the smogon page and that one is already rated.

Thus volcarona is set up. I think you prefer directly and since you play in the battle mansion, you should give greninja a whirl
Cloyster: focus sash/mental herb. You want to surviva hit on the turn you shell smash or you reset the bad effects of it as moves ice shard seems good to me (don't ask if it learns it. Haven't checked)

TheScoobyDawg

Pokemon Master
Now that you mention it, I think this is the wrong thread. I misunderstood the thread title (noob error).
Anyway thanks for the advice! I got the Mega Kang from someone else's Battle Maison team and have been thoroughly impressed so far. Just have to find good teammates for her.
I'm going to find a more appropriate thread for this now. I apologise for my mistake!

Ace M

I got a question regarding MIXED Electivire
I know its not that good but I really wanna breed it

Electivire w/ Life Orb
Motor Drive
Naive
EVs: 252 Atk 4 SpAtk 252 Init
IVs: 30/31/30/31/31/31 OR 31/30/31/30/31/31 <--- so which Spread is better (I will get a HP Grass Ditto but I dont know which spread)? I understand that you have 30 on Atk usually because most HP users are fully special and therefore it doesnt matter what the Atk stat is. But as I want to go Mixed would it make more sense to get the first spread to have both Offensive stats on 31 while having HP and Def 30?

- Wild Charge
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- HP {Grass}

YOOMTAH

Let's dance~
^ Sorry for the late respond, I think IVs are difficult to give solid advice on as they are difficult to influence and therefore the argumentation should be really good before forcing you through all that effort of breeding those IVs. Honestly, correct me if I'm wrong, but a 1 IV point difference doesn't really matter all that much. The only thing I can think of that would benefit this Electivire, is to make sure you have 31 HP so you end up with a total HP of 291 at level 100. That would mean that theoretically, you are able to hit 10 times without the Life Orb damage killing you (you end up with 1 HP), whereas with 31 HP IVs you would die after the 10th attack. But still, I don't think that one point difference matters all that much as I highly doubt Electivire will be able to attack 10 times without being hit or something. So if you really care, I would suggest 31 HP IVs. I am curious about why you want to run HP Grass though. If you look at http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage and fill in the types you're running, you get a total of 506 Pokémon you hit super effectively, whereas if you replace Grass by Ground (for instance Earthquake), you'll increase that significantly by being able to hit 609 Pokémon super effectively!

Now as for my set: I've had the great luck of receiving a shiny Adamant Shinx via Wonder Trade and I want to use her to her fullest potential. She has the Hidden Ability Guts, which is kind of disappointing because I do double battles and Intimidate is awesome in doubles, so I would have preferred that. Guts is definitely useable though. I am currently running this:

Luxray @ Flame Orb
Guts
Adamant, 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe
- Protect
- Wild Charge
- Facade
- Superpower

When you analyse this set, please keep in mind that Egg Moves are not an option, as I want to keep her since she is shiny. She did come with Ice Fang, but the only situation where Ice Fang does more damage than Facade is when it hits with 4x effectiveness. I maxed HP because Luxray has a pretty low base Speed, so I thought that investing in it wouldn't be worth it that much because she gets outsped anyway. I really would want her to have Quick Attack over Superpower though, but sadly that's an Egg Move too... Any solutions?

Zeed

Hello. I am new here. I would like some advice regarding the IV's of one Pokemon I got. I've been soft resetting on Rayquaza in AS for a while, and I would like to know if I should stick with what I got right now or reset again. According to the IV calculator, it's IV's are HP:30,31 Attack:26,27 Defence:31 SP.Attack:30,31 SP.Defence:30,31 Speed:29. Is this acceptable? Sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking this.