• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Singles Rate Thread [Read the Rules and Follow the Format]

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
I'm really stuck on this... should I go for Modest or Timid on Mega Gardevoir for Super Double Battles? I currently have a Modest one, but I'm afraid it'll get outsped by something powerful. Is the loss in power worth playing it more safe? Or should I just go all-out offensive with her?

Gardevoir @ Mega Stone
Timid/Modest, Synchronize
HP: 6 | SPA: 252 | SPE: 252
-Protect
-Dazzling Gleam
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
Yeah I know Psychic wouldn't hit much, ok I would go for Fire Blast over Flamethrower then, also can you recommend me any Hidden Power to replace Psychic? Or it doesn't worth using on Chandelure. Thanks for the suggestion.

To be honest, Psychic is better than Hidden Power in this case. HP is really pretty useless on Chandelure thanks to the power drop.

I'm really stuck on this... should I go for Modest or Timid on Mega Gardevoir for Super Double Battles? I currently have a Modest one, but I'm afraid it'll get outsped by something powerful. Is the loss in power worth playing it more safe? Or should I just go all-out offensive with her?

Gardevoir - Mega Stone
-Protect
-Dazzling Gleam
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

Asides from your question concerning natures, my question for you is: Why protect? Protect is generally useful in double battles, or when you need to stall, like when trying to take advantage of an opponent that is badly poisoned or if you want to take advantage of leftovers/speed boost. I'd recommend Calm Mind instead, personally, or some sort of alternative.

Aurath8

Gardevoir @ Mega Stone
-Protect
-Dazzling Gleam
-Thunderbolt
-Psychic

Despite the work needed, I'd get a Timid one. MegaGardevoir still only has 65 Def and 68 HP iirc; outspeeding opponents and nuking them with the appropiate move is key to Gardevoir performing well especially when it still only has 100 speed as MegaGardevoir.

I'd also go for Shadow Ball over Thunderbolt. T-bolt is only really used because it hits Steels, and a lot of stuff, neutrally. However, Ghost isn't resisted by steel and Ghost pokemon as a result pose more of a threat than ever. With that special def you should survive to hit back hard with Shadow Ball.
Once Pokemon Bank is released, if you have BW2, use Hyper Voice > Dazzling Gleam for moar power. MegaGardevoir's ability turns it into a Fairy move and it still hits multiple opponents.

Asides from your question concerning natures, my question for you is: Why protect? Protect is generally useful in double battles, or when you need to stall, like when trying to take advantage of an opponent that is badly poisoned or if you want to take advantage of leftovers/speed boost. I'd recommend Calm Mind instead, personally, or some sort of alternative.

He/She is using it double battles. Right there in the fine print.

Last edited:

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Despite the work needed, I'd get a Timid one. MegaGardevoir still only has 65 Def and 68 HP iirc; outspeeding opponents and nuking them with the appropiate move is key to Gardevoir performing well especially when it still only has 100 speed as MegaGardevoir.

I'd also go for Shadow Ball over Thunderbolt. T-bolt is only really used because it hits Steels, and a lot of stuff, neutrally. However, Ghost isn't resisted by steel and Ghost pokemon as a result pose more of a threat than ever. With that special def you should survive to hit back hard with Shadow Ball.
Once Pokemon Bank is released, if you have BW2, use Hyper Voice > Dazzling Gleam for moar power. MegaGardevoir's ability turns it into a Fairy move and it still hits multiple opponents.

Alright, thanks for the answer, and advice on the moveset.
Yeah, I was planning on getting Hyper Voice Gardevoir once PokéBank is out. Should be fine upgrade over Dazzling Gleam.

KamenAeons

Demon Legion (◕‿◕✿)
I'm back again requiring assisting on raising my Volcarona-to-be. What should the EV spread be on this:

Volcarona @ Salac Berry / Petaya Berry / Weakness Policy (although it is REALLY frail)
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Timid
EVs:
- Overheat / Fiery Dance / Heat Wave for Double/Multi
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane (?) / Protect / Toxic / Light Screen
- Bug Buzz

I'm iffy with using Hurricane due to its horrid Acc., and I'm not sure what to use for its Fire STAB. Any ideas for this?
I am considering throwing it in a sun team and replacing Hurricane with Solar Beam. Maybe.

KillerDraco

I'm back again requiring assisting on raising my Volcarona-to-be. What should the EV spread be on this:

Volcarona @ Salac Berry / Petaya Berry / Weakness Policy (although it is REALLY frail)
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Timid
EVs:
- Overheat / Fiery Dance / Heat Wave for Double/Multi
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane (?) / Protect / Toxic / Light Screen
- Bug Buzz

I'm iffy with using Hurricane due to its horrid Acc., and I'm not sure what to use for its Fire STAB. Any ideas for this?
I am considering throwing it in a sun team and replacing Hurricane with Solar Beam. Maybe.

Fiery Dance's 50% chance to raise special attack makes it a reliable option. Fire Blast can be considered if you want more immediate power. Overheat should never be used on Volcarona as it's generally counterproductive to what you want to accomplish with it (Boost and sweep).

The 4th move is traditionally Giga Drain, but unfortunately that's PokeBank only. Given Volcarona's choices, and the type of Pokemon you'd pit it against, Hurricane is sadly the best option in spite of the accuracy. Support moves are typically not the right way to go when you're trying to sweep. The exception would be Roost, which boosts your survivability but limits your coverage.

None of the items you're suggesting are particularly effective on Volcarona, due to its physical frailty. Try a Life Orb for more power, or Leftovers for a little more survivability, given it can shrug off weaker special attacks. Lum Berry can also be an option if you're worried about paralysis.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Couple more sets:

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Modest/Timid
4 HP, 252 SpAtt, 252 Speed
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Basic Choice set, I suppose? Since he's Choice and unlikely to stay in for too many turns at a time, the SpAtt drop from it won't be much of an issue. Dark Pulse for the second STAB (and, to be honest, I don't think it has too many Dark type Special options anyway). Flash Cannon would be great if I'm switching him in to lure out a Fairy type that I really want dead like Carbink or Florges. Fire Blast/Flamethrower is in to give him some added coverage, though really the only things I can think of that the combination of Dark, Dragon, and Steel can't hit at least neutral on are Lucario and Bisharp.

-----

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Wonder Skin
Modest/Timid
252 HP, 4 SpAtt, 252 Speed
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Sludge Bomb/Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb/Bug Buzz/Psychic/Energy Ball/Substitute/Sleep Powder

I think Venomoth is the only thing that can BP a Quiver Dance, right? That's why HP EVs instead of SpAtt; while he's got plenty of awesome coverage moves that might well lend to an Assault Vest set with Tinted Lenses, I'd much rather him be a BPer, and being able to BP Quiver Dance would be a huge boon. I'm not entirely sure whether to go Bug Buzz or Sludge Bomb for STAB, if not both; with Fairy being weak to Poison, Sludge Bomb actually may be useful, but Bug Buzz would still hit more things and doesn't have anything immune to it. The last slot is highly variable; I could go for the second of the STAB moves, but Psychic and Energy Ball both are options if I want to cover a different selection of types. Unfortunately he doesn't really have any options for countering Steel types outside of Hidden Power [Fighting/Ground]. If I only care about one attack though, Sleep Powder is good to give me a free turn to set up, while Substitute could be BPed onto another pokemon alongside any QDs he gets out.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

I think Venomoth is the only thing that can BP a Quiver Dance, right?

Well, not quite. Barring the obvious lolSmeargle answer, Masquerain can also do it. That said, Venomoth outclasses Masquerain in that role due to Sleep Powder. And speaking of which...

Venomoth @ Black Sludge
Wonder Skin
Modest/Timid
252 HP, 4 SpAtt, 252 Speed
- Quiver Dance
- Baton Pass
- Sludge Bomb/Bug Buzz
- Sludge Bomb/Bug Buzz/Psychic/Energy Ball/Substitute/Sleep Powder

Sleep Powder is pretty much mandatory if you want to Quiver Pass. Venomoth's pretty frail, especially on the physical side, so Sleep Powder is necessary to give you the free turn you need to get off at least one Quiver Dance without fear. Otherwise you're just gambling on hoping they don't KO you on the turn you set up. Sleep Powder -> Quiver Dance on the switch/sleep turn -> Baton Pass is typically the way to go. Bug Buzz is the preferable fourth move since nothing is immune to it and it prevents you from being helpless if taunted, although generally you won't be staying in to use Bug Buzz that often regardless.

Strykero

I need assistance on how to build my Inkay (to be Malamar soon).

It has a Jolly Nature with Contrary as the ability.

Anyone know how the EV spread should be and how the moveset should be using advantage of the ability and Topsy Turvy?

I plan on having Topsy Turvy and Superpower as 2 of my moves. Any suggestions for the other 2 moves?

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
I need a good moveset for a Klefki. It has the spread of 31/x/31/31/31/31 and it's EVs are 252 HP 252 Def and 4 SpD. I know there are a lot of Klefki sets and I'm just looking for a cool one to use. I got this Klefki off of wonder trade and I never planned on using it but I kinda have to now XD

KillerDraco

I need assistance on how to build my Inkay (to be Malamar soon).

It has a Jolly Nature with Contrary as the ability.

Anyone know how the EV spread should be and how the moveset should be using advantage of the ability and Topsy Turvy?

I plan on having Topsy Turvy and Superpower as 2 of my moves. Any suggestions for the other 2 moves?

Psycho Cut and Night Slash as STAB attacks seem obvious. 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe is an obvious setup as well. Topsy Turvy is sort of... situational, as it can royally screw over Setup sweepers but in-game very few opponents do this. It may never get any use depending on the foe.

Strykero

Psycho Cut and Night Slash as STAB attacks seem obvious. 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe is an obvious setup as well. Topsy Turvy is sort of... situational, as it can royally screw over Setup sweepers but in-game very few opponents do this. It may never get any use depending on the foe.

Alright so currently my plan is to get 4 hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe and the moves are

Superpower
Psycho Cut
Night Slash

I changed my mind about Topsy Turvy after doing some research. Do you have any recommendations for replacements for the 4th move?

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
reposting because I never got any opinions on it
zapdos (none)
pressure
adamant
wild charge
U-turn
thunder wave
drill peck

chap196

I need a good moveset for a Klefki. It has the spread of 31/x/31/31/31/31 and it's EVs are 252 HP 252 Def and 4 SpD. I know there are a lot of Klefki sets and I'm just looking for a cool one to use. I got this Klefki off of wonder trade and I never planned on using it but I kinda have to now XD

There are many ways to play Klefki

Klefki @ Leftover/Air Balloon
Prankster
Bold
252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 Sp.Def
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Foul Play

This set requires a lot of luck, but if you are lucky the opponent should hurt itself, after that you use Substitute, if it hurt itself again, you can either Thunder Wave or Foul Play, but it really depends on luck.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Prankster
Bold
252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 Sp.Def
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute/ Draining Kiss/ Sunny Day/ Rain Dance

This is the support moveset, Dual Screen to raise your team Defense and Special Defense , Thunder Wave to slow down your opponent and the last move is your choice.

There are many more Klefki, but I think this is the most notable one.

Hope this help

Macroboom

Beyond Infinity
So I have a question regarding this Pokemon:

Gogoat
Sap Sipper
Adamant
-Leaf Blade/Horn Leech
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Milk Drink/Bulk Up

I'm deciding between Power and Healing. LV's power or healing from HL. And then I would use Milk Drink with LB or Bulk Up with HL. Which do you think is better?

Aurath8

So I have a question regarding this Pokemon:

Gogoat
Sap Sipper
Adamant
-Leaf Blade/Horn Leech
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Milk Drink/Bulk Up

I'm deciding between Power and Healing. LV's power or healing from HL. And then I would use Milk Drink with LB or Bulk Up with HL. Which do you think is better?

Go with Bulk Up and Horn Leech. A +1 Horn Leech does far more damage than Leaf Blade and you don't have to spend turns healing yourself if you have Horn Leech.

Alright so currently my plan is to get 4 hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe and the moves are

Superpower
Psycho Cut
Night Slash

I changed my mind about Topsy Turvy after doing some research. Do you have any recommendations for replacements for the 4th move?

Rock Slide is probably your best bet as that goes well with Superpower and helps out against Bug types.

benwsf

The Torterra Trainer
Would a Venoshock and Toxic Venusuar set work?

Venusaur @Venusaurite/Black Sludge
Modest Nature
Overgrow
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
-Toxic
-Venoshock
-Energy Ball/Giga Drain
-Synthesis

Milennin

*hugs Absol*
Would a Venoshock and Toxic Venusuar set work?

Venusaur @Venusaurite/Black Sludge
Modest Nature
Overgrow
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
-Toxic
-Venoshock
-Energy Ball/Giga Drain
-Synthesis

I'd look into getting another Pokémon to lay down Toxic Spikes before sending in Venusaur.