• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Singles Rate Thread [Read the Rules and Follow the Format]

Pathfinder

No Angel

Singles Rate & Moveset Request Thread

Rules​

Failure to abide by these rules may result in your post being deleted and you receiving a warning or infraction.

All SPPf Rules apply! - These are global rules. Follow them at all times, please.

All IGRMT Rules apply! - You are in IGRMT. Read its rules. Easy.

Follow the thread-specific format! - It keeps consistency and makes my life so much easier. Please make sure you use the format! Simply copy and paste this, replacing the words with whatever is appropriate;

HTML:
[B]Pokémon[/B] @ Item (If applicable)
Ability
Nature (If applicable)
EVs (If applicable)
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Don't post teams! - You may ask for or provide up to two Pokémon's movesets at a time! You should create your own thread for full teams. Don't post them in here.

Regarding Hidden Power - First of all, the format for Hidden Power will be Hidden Power [Type], not HP Type, for consistency's sake. Furthermore, as this thread is designed for in-game teams, many people will not be willing to or have the knowledge on how to breed for Hidden Power, so where possible please list Hidden Power as an option or alternative move, not as a definite move.

Regarding EVs - For the sake of consistency, please use the following abbreviations for stats when listing EVs: Atk (Attack), Def (Defence), SpA (Special Attack), SpD (Special Defence), Spe (Speed) and HP.

Sample Set - To better illustrate the way sets should be posted, here's an example set. Thanks to Tsumiki for the idea for this.

Espeon @ Leftovers
Synchronize
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Signal Beam​

As you can see, the set above follows the format for sets. EVs are listed using the correct abbreviations - SpA for Special Attack and Spe for Speed. Hidden Power [Fighting] is not listed as a definite move, but as an option, with another option beside it.

That being said, go on and post away! If you have any questions, you may send a PM to either myself, or any of the other moderators of this section

Last edited:

devondashla

Yaaay, I'm so glad to see this thread! I have great sights set for this thread, as the one for 5th gen helped me out a lot.

Here's a pokemon I've been wanting to try out for a while--Roserade.

Roserade @ Big Root
Natural Cure
Modest
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball / Dazzling Gleam
- Leech Seed

At this point in time, I really cannot tell if I should run Shadow Ball or Dazzling Gleam. Now that Steel doesn't resist Dark or Ghost, Shadow Ball would provide very nice coverage (cough cough AEGISLASH), meanwhile Dazzling Gleam has the perk of getting rid of very nasty threats--such as anything that's Fighting or Dragon. Leech Seed is just to help out in lengthy battles, considering in-game teams rarely switch out.

KillerDraco

At this point in time, I really cannot tell if I should run Shadow Ball or Dazzling Gleam. Now that Steel doesn't resist Dark or Ghost, Shadow Ball would provide very nice coverage (cough cough AEGISLASH), meanwhile Dazzling Gleam has the perk of getting rid of very nasty threats--such as anything that's Fighting or Dragon. Leech Seed is just to help out in lengthy battles, considering in-game teams rarely switch out.

As far as neutral coverage is concerned, Shadow Ball wins out. Dazzling Gleam may give you some SE coverage, but it leaves Roserade completely walled by steel types. Dragon Types might be hit for SE damage bu Dazzling Gleam but they don't resist Sludge Bomb, so you can at least hit them neutrally even if you opt for Shadow Ball. Same goes for Fighting types and Dark types. Ghost's Coverage is pretty spectacular this generation.

devondashla

As far as neutral coverage is concerned, Shadow Ball wins out. Dazzling Gleam may give you some SE coverage, but it leaves Roserade completely walled by steel types. Dragon Types might be hit for SE damage bu Dazzling Gleam but they don't resist Sludge Bomb, so you can at least hit them neutrally even if you opt for Shadow Ball. Same goes for Fighting types and Dark types. Ghost's Coverage is pretty spectacular this generation.

Okay, that's all good to know. I figured Shadow Ball would be better so that's why I put it first. Thanks for assuring me of that.

Rubbless

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Overgrow (If I really want to later, Ill swap for chlorophyll and make a new one.)
Bold
252 Def, 252 SpD, 4 SpA (EVs open to suggestions)
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Synthesis
-Hidden Power [Fire] (Sort of on the fence, looking for good alternative)

Just wondering about moveset options and EV spreads.

devondashla

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Overgrow (If I really want to later, Ill swap for chlorophyll and make a new one.)
Bold
252 Def, 252 SpD, 4 SpA (EVs open to suggestions)
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Synthesis
-Hidden Power [Fire] (Sort of on the fence, looking for good alternative)

Just wondering about moveset options and EV spreads.

For an alternative to Hidden Power, try Earthquake. Venusaur doesn't seem to have many viable special moves besides Hidden Power, so if the physical move is not wanted, maybe try a status move like Sleep Powder--especially since this seems to be geared towards the defensive side. That being said, you definitely want HP investment to go along with that. The SubSeed set on Smogon recommends 172 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe, so try going off of that maybe. You'll see better results in that rather than trying to be physically AND specially defensive at the same time.

Last edited:

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
I'd definitely say Sleep Powder > HP Fire on Venusaur. Sleep is probably the best status effect in the game and Venusaur is one of the better abusers of it.

Also, Max Hp over Def or SpD. Venusaur is naturally inclined towards being a bulky Special tank, so you might choose to invest its EVs into Defense. However, if you really want a mixed tank, 252 Hp / 148 Def / 108 SpD with your Bold nature gives you the highest overall defenses assuming perfect IVs.

Finally guys, don't use Smogon spreads without understanding what they're used for and why. Smogon can be an okay resource for EVs in-game, but more often than not you don't need to EV a Pokémon for competitive if you want it to stack up in-game, and sometimes it wouldn't even make sense to do so (running enough speed to outrun certain targets that aren't likely to exist in-game or do not fall on a certain Base Speed number are big examples).

Rubbless

Alright, so I just got my 31/x/31/31/31/31 Bulbasaur, I'm going to aim for this layout.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite (Still need to buy it, trying to lower price to 10,000)
Overgrow (Considered Chlorophyll, but not really available)
Bold
252 HP / 148 Def / 108 SpD
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Synthesis
-Sleep Powder

Because of this Venusaur, I'm debating adding a Chansey @ eviolite to my team like I had in Gen V (probably wont).

Can Venusaur not learn Giga Drain through TM? I ended up losing Giga Drain in my breeding because my parents were taught moves over it (Daycare knows nothing :/ )
EDIT: Just realized it can't. :'( Back to breeding.

Last edited:

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^ If you want an alternative, Energy Ball has 90 BP (the same as Flamethrower, Ice Beam, T-Bolt, and Surf) and is learnable through TM in Gen 6. Since you have Synthesis, there's less need for healing via Giga Drain. In-game, it shouldn't be a problem.

Rubbless

^ If you want an alternative, Energy Ball has 90 BP (the same as Flamethrower, Ice Beam, T-Bolt, and Surf) and is learnable through TM in Gen 6. Since you have Synthesis, there's less need for healing via Giga Drain. In-game, it shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds good, I'll give it a shot, I should be tanking most everything anyway, correct?

Eon Master

Born from the Flames
^ In-game, yeah. Mega Venusaur, for all that it has a flower on its butt, can take just about anything thanks to its typing, bulk, and Thick Fat ability.

Hoppian

Dedicated Writer
I´ve posted this set for Tyrantrum in some places, I´m just obssessed with it, anyone give a look:
Tyrantrum@Life orb/Leftovers/Weakness Police
Jolly nature, Strong Jaw
252 atk/252 spd/4 HP
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch
-Poison Fang
I´ve never saw anyone thinking in this set: boosted by Strong Jaw, Poison Fang become an accurate move that hits grass and faries SE, with just 5 less BP than Poison Jab and have a nasty 50% chance of badly poisoning. That it´s too good to not be worth using (and yes, I know it maybe get Rock Head as its HA in some time ahead and it also learns Hed Smash, but this set stills very good at least). I´m using Crunch over fire fang, that most people automaticaly think beacause of the Dragon+Fire coverage because of this: if you use Crunch (also boosted by Strong Jaw), you get walled by Klefki, but if you use Fire Fang you get walled by nothing... Except by Hetran, and no one would like that.
The item choice is what I can´t just figure it out: I haven´t done any calculations about how much damage would he do with life orb, or how whorth could lefties be... Weakness Police would be nice because of some SE moves Tyrantrum would take (Sorry but any specific move or pokémon just don´t appear in my mind; I´m very sick these last weeks, so my mind isn´t working good as usuall. Just for writing this post is making my head burst of pain beacuse of the PC light... I think I have some case of photophobie)

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Figure I may as well ask about a couple of movesets I was thinking of trying:

Aurorus @ Power Herb
Refrigerate
Modest
252 HP, 252 SpAttack, 4 Def
- Hyper Beam
- Substitute
- Rock Polish
- Charge Beam/Dragon Tail/Roar

What got me curious about this set was seeing that the Refrigerate ability boost the power of Normal type moves before it turns them into Ice type. This would tell me that Hyper Beam, which is normally 150 base damage, would not only get bumped up to 195 base, but then it'd be further boosted by STAB to 292.5 base attack. That is just MONSTROUS. Toss a Power Herb on it to remove the initial charge from its first Hyper Beam, and factor in some rather decent Special Attack, and you've got a pretty damned powerful hit on your hands. The problem, though, is Aurorus's Speed and typing, so it'd have to be careful what it swaps in on; anything with Fighting or Steel type moves would decimate it. The strategy I would use would be either to Baton Pass some Speed boosts over to it before busting out a Hyper Beam, then immediately switch it out, or if I don't have a Speed BPer, hide behind a Sub and bust out Rock Polish. The last move would more than likely be Charge Beam, as that can take out things like Azumarill while simultaneously making it even more of a threat, as well as giving it something to do if its Sub survives or a switch is predicted, or maybe just if its my last pokemon and I don't trust it to survive a turn charging up a second Hyper Beam. Dragon Tail is an option too, to get anything resistant to Ice out of my face, but then most Fairies would completely wall it. Roar is kind of my last option for that final slot and serves the same purpose as Dragon Tail, but then my only damaging move would be Hyper Beam, which is NOT reliable once I've burned up that Power Herb.

Shuckle @ Leftovers/Grip Claw/Binding Band
Contrary
Relaxed/Sassy
4 HP, 252 Def, 252 SpDef OR 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpDef
- Shell Smash
- Power Split
- Infestation/Toxic
- Sandstorm/Sticky Web

This one... yeah, Shuckle's always been a pretty gimmicky pokemon. And you'll note that the EVs I'm not sure about; I was figuring giving it more in its Defenses would be better due to those being so much better than its HP, but it could be better to switch its SpDef EVs over to HP, since Sandstorm buffs its SpDef anyway. Anyway, this thing is built to buff itself as much as possible via Shell Smash, which thanks to Contrary, will buff its Defenses while lowering its already-useless offensive stats. Power Split would be a good way to ruin foes' offenses as well, making Shuckle really difficult to take down via normal means. Infestation and Sandstorm would both be great ways for it to deal its damage, albeit slowly, while Toxic and Sticky Web work well together to attempt getting the opponent switching pokemon around. The biggest issue with the latter two moves paired is that slower Steel and Poison types and anything with a Toxic or Burn Orb would totally wall him, as well as those with Flying type, Magic Guard or Levitate. The former set would get walled by anything with Magic Guard as well, but at least that's a smaller group than would wall the Toxic/Sticky Web set, so I'd probably more likely stick to Infestation/Sandstorm. I'm also unsure of its hold item: Leftovers will help it survive longer, obviously, but Grip Claw will keep the foe locked in Infestation for longer, allowing me to push out Power Swap and Sandstorm as needed then switch out to something else that can finish off the opposing pokemon. Binding Band may be an option too, though I'm not sure if the power boost is applied to the initial hit or the successive hits; if it's the former case Binding Band would be completely useless here.

KillerDraco

I´ve posted this set for Tyrantrum in some places, I´m just obssessed with it, anyone give a look:
Tyrantrum@Life orb/Leftovers/Weakness Police
Jolly nature, Strong Jaw
252 atk/252 spd/4 HP
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Crunch
-Poison Fang

You definitely don't wanna go with Weakness Policy; despite its solid physical bulk, its lack of Special Bulk will leave it dead before Weakness Policy can activate. Dragonite tends to outclass it as a Weakness Policy user. I'd say give it Life Orb; it needs it to secure a few crucial KOs.

As it stands your Tyrantrum is walled by Klefki, Mawile, Bisharp, Cobalion, and Lucario, and checked by numerous users of priority. Lucario, however, can be muscled through after a DD; without the DD though it's only a 3HKO even with no defensive investment, and that's only if he's got a Life Orb; with Leftovers he can only barely 3HKO with Dragon Claw. This is where the biggest gap in your coverage lies; Steel types. Even though you can 2HKO a lot of neutral steel types after a DD, (Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc.) it still finds itself very vulnerable to Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, and Ice Shard. When it comes to Steel types, Crunch is superior only against Aggron, Metagross, Bronzong, Bastiodon, Empoleon, Heatran, Probopass, and Aegislash. Fire Fang outdamages it against every other steel type. (Though I excluded Jirachi and Dialga from this due to them not really appearing in-game).

I personally feel like you're trying to get too specific with your coverage. Yeah, Poison Fang may hit fairies hard, but Tyrantrum dies to most Moonblasts/Dazzling Gleams due to its low special bulk. Honestly I think you're better off just switching to a Steel type 99% of the time if a fairy comes in, rather than risking a dead Tyrantrum. Honestly, I'd say Earthquake would be better in terms of neutral coverage.

I find myself favoring a Tyrantrum that looks more like...

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Strong Jaw
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang/Rock Slide

...Though in all honesty I find Tyrantrum to be outclassed by Zygarde or Dragonite as a bulky Dragon Dancer. Since it's only for in-game it's of little consequence, but in the Battle Maison or something Tyrantrum's weaknesses can be easy to exploit, since Rock isn't a great defensive type despite its offensive presence.

Aurorus @ Power Herb
Refrigerate
Modest
252 HP, 252 SpAttack, 4 Def
- Hyper Beam
- Substitute
- Rock Polish
- Charge Beam/Dragon Tail/Roar

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Power Herb does nothing for Hyper Beam. It only affects moves that have to charge up beforehand, such as Sky Attack or Solarbeam. It does not affect moves that have a recharge turn afterwards, such as Hyper Beam. For this reason, you may wish to drop Power Herb as it does nothing for you. As powerful as Refrigerate Hyper Beam is... the horrible recharge turn can often spell disaster since it lets your foe do literally anything they want on that free turn. Mind you, for run-of-the-mill in-game opponents this is of less concern since you can switch out after a KO, but for Battle Maison and other players, it's often not worth the risk. Sadly it lacks any other decent normal type moves to take advantage of Refrigerate; the best it gets it Round, which is only as powerful as Ice Beam, but without the freeze chance.

Honestly I feel like it'd be better off with a BoltBeam combo (given that it does learn Thunderbolt, which is surprising given its typing), and play it similar to how you'd play Musharna; yes, it has terrible defensive typing, but it's fairly bulky, especially on the special side, so it makes a decent Calm Mind user. Something along the lines of...

Aurorus @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
Refrigerate (Unfortunately a useless ability)
-Calm Mind
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Substitute/Flash Cannon/Dark Pulse

...In all honesty the last attack is largely filler. BoltBeam has pretty spectacular neutral coverage so you have the freedom to pick if you wanna put up a Sub, or go for a little extra SE coverage.

I'm not gonna bother with Shuckle, because I have very strong anti-Shuckle feelings due to how passive it is. Let me just say this though: Shuckle is hard countered by Steel types, Substitute Users, and Toxic Users.

Dan The Poke Man

MEGAMEGAMEGA
Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Static
Modest
4Def / 252 Sp.Att / 252 Sp.Def
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem
- Signal Beam

I've pretty much trained this guy for funsies. The only reason the EV's are the way they are is because I got caught up in how easy super training was, and wanted to see how quickly I could max it out. I can reset them if I need to (reset bag ftw). T-Bolt and Dragon Pulse for STAB and the other moves just for the sake of having something there. I don't know how well it works online because I've been searching for other guys to use on my team.

Also, can someone explain the advantage of Mega Amph having Mold Breaker?

Last edited:

chap196

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Static
Modest
4Def / 252 Sp.Att / 252 Sp.Def
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Power Gem
- Signal Beam

I've pretty much trained this guy for funsies. The only reason the EV's are the way they are is because I got caught up in how easy super training was, and wanted to see how quickly I could max it out. I can reset them if I need to (reset bag ftw). T-Bolt and Dragon Pulse for STAB and the other moves just for the sake of having something there. I don't know how well it works online because I've been searching for other guys to use on my team.

Also, can someone explain the advantage of Mega Amph having Mold Breaker?

Mega Ampharos becomes better with Mold Breaker as it allows it to kill Pokemon with Sturdy Ability which usually kills Ampharos. Now for its suggestion: I would rather use Focus Blast instead of Signal Beam, I understand that It has poor accuracy, but it covers a lot of type and is nearly 2 times stronger than Signal Beam, if possible, replace Power Gem with Hidden Power Ice, Power Gem is stronger, but Hidden Power Jce allows it to use the BoltBeam combo. If you can't get Hidden Power, then keep Power Gem.

Hope this help

Micah11442

Breeder
Hello everyone! I am currently building a team and I have one pokemon in particular that I am curious to see how you rate.

Lucario | Modest | Justified | Life Orb/Lucarionite
252 SpA | 252 Spe | 6 Hp
- Nasty Plot
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave
- Dark Pulse

I've been using this Lucario as a sweeper for a few of my team and I've surprisingly had great success with it. I'm running it as a multi purpose killer for problem pokemon, such as Mawile, Togekiss, Gengar, and Cloyster. I was wondering what you guys thought about Vacuum Wave. I've been thinking about running Aura Sphere in its place to deal with threats like Ferrothorn or other bulky steel types, but I'd lose my priority. I'm nervous to give up Dark pulse as I lose a ton of coverage. Have any of you tested out Modest variants of Lucario? What are your thoughts or advise?

For those of you who are curious, the team that I will often run with my Lucario is Gengar, Excadrill, Talonflame, Cloyster, and Smeargle.

Any advise or opinions are highly appreciated