• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Singles Rate Thread [Read the Rules and Follow the Format]

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I wouldn't bother with Explosion on Metagross, it was nerfed big time in BW, and has less power than previous gens. If you want to use it, obviously use it as late into the battle as possible, otherwise you're wasting Metagross just to immediately explode.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
I wouldn't bother with Explosion on Metagross, it was nerfed big time in BW, and has less power than previous gens. If you want to use it, obviously use it as late into the battle as possible, otherwise you're wasting Metagross just to immediately explode.

If it is, then why does the game still show 250 base power for Explosion?

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Prior to BW, Explosion (and I think Selfdestruct as well) halved the opponent's defence for the damage calculation, as far as I know.

Ah... So that's it huh? Well, i suppose i can keep Explosion on Metagross for the element of surprise. Thanks for the advice you guys, i can start training Cleffa and Shellos now! :)

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
192.png

Sunflora @ Life Orb/Heat Rock
Solar Power
Quiet/Modest
252 HP/Def, 252 SpAtt, 4 SpDef
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb/Hidden Power [Ice/Rock]/Synthesis
- Synthesis/Sunny Day

Okay, there's really no getting around it: Sunflora kinda sucks. Its only really good stat is its SpAtt, and its typing is rather horrid defensively, making its average HP and SpDef and low Def quite a hindrance. Its Speed is absolutely abysmal, as well. So, it really only has two uses as far as I can see it: Sun and Trick Room. Granted he'll need Sun anyway to be useful...

Anyway. The first version of the set has him setting up Sun himself, and this version pretty much requires him to be in a Trick Room. Give him a Heat Rock to make sure the sun stays out as long as possible, or a Life Orb to beef up his damage. Solar Beam for STAB, Earth Power to take down Fire types that switch in on him. Sludge Bomb is best for dealing with opposing Grass types, while HP Ice/Rock would deal with Flying types. Rock also deals with Bug and Ice, but has less coverage overall and leaves it walled by opposing Grass types. And of course Synthesis works if you're willing to sacrifice coverage for healing, which this thing will need desperately after the life drained by Solar Power and Life Orb.

The second version of this set will work better for if you have something else set up Sun. In this case Sunflora has room to keep all three attacks, and simply replaces Sunny Day with Synthesis (or, if you're brave, the last attack you're missing). In this case, you'll definitely want Life orb to max out damage, or possible Choice Specs if you go with four attacks.

I think this set's weaknesses are pretty obvious, though. First, Sunflora is absolutely useless without either Sunny Day or Trick Room set up. Even Chlorophyll isn't enough to save its horrid Speed, and while its SpAtt is above average, it isn't anything special compared to several other pokemon that have that SpAtt focus. Fire is obviously a HUGE threat, so unless you're confident Sunflora can OHKO with Earth Power, it's a good idea to kill anything that could use a Fire move before bringing Sunflora in. And of course its longevity is questionable, since its HP is constantly being drained by Life Orb and Solar Power, so a Burn or Toxic could be a curse if you plan to keep it alive more than a handful of turns. It's best used late-game, when only things it can OHKO remain on the field and you can still Trick Room at the very least.

416.png

Vespiquen @ Leftovers/Binding Band
Pressure
Bold/Impish/Calm/Careful/Relaxed/Sassy
252 HP, 252 Att/SpAtt, 4 Def/SpDef
- Infestation
- Defend Order
- Heal Order/Roost
- Attack Order/Bug Buzz/Air Slash/Toxic

Vespiquen is another pokemon that probably would be great if it wasn't held back by its typing. It has great bulk, just a touch better than Rotom's forms, but has a plethora of weaknesses that include a double-weakness to Rock. It can hold its own if it wishes, but does a bit better in a Trick Room team, and is actually not so bad at stalling enemies out.

First of all, if you have Trick Room support, your best bet is to go with Roost over Heal Order. While Bug/Flying is a horrid type combo, pure Bug is actually not so bad, so if you can get Roost off before an opponent's attack, you could bait them into using an Electric or Ice move, which Vespiquen will be neutral to when she Roosts, and it'll also somewhat blunt the effectiveness of Rock moves. Mispredicting and ending up hit by a Ground move isn't too bad, either, since pure Bug resists Ground. If you don't have Trick Room support, however, it doesn't especially matter which healing move it goes for, since it'll regain its Flying type by the end of the turn anyway. Defend Order, the only signature move Vespiquen really puts a lot of faith in, is there to beef it up in situations where it can set up, allowing it to survive even longer. Infestation is there to trap foes that can't deal with Vespiquen well, ensuring you at least deal a considerable amount of damage as well as guaranteeing setup chances.

For its attack, it'd depend on its nature. For a -SpAtt nature, you'll more likely want Attack Order, while -Att nature would prefer either Bug Buzz or Air Slash. Toxic could go well with any nature, while any of the attack options would work with a -Speed nature.

Again, this set is preferable for a Trick Room team, as you'll then have the option of using Roost to test the opponent for moves Vespiquen's Flying type would weaken it to, as well as having that flinch chance on Attack Order and Air Slash. Because it relies on setting up and partial trapping, it's susceptible to phasing, and because it's meant to stall, it can be weakened a lot by status, particularly Toxic. And of course, due to 4x weakness to Rock, it's not going to be very happy with Rocks thrown on your side of the field, so you'll probably want a Defogger or Spinner on your side. Honestly, just making sure the opponent doesn't have any source of Rock damage on their side at all is preferable, since Vespiquen can't even drop the weakness with Roost, and it'll be even worse if you've lost your Trick Room setter.

DJLowrider

I've been using a defensively-oriented Aegislash for some time now and in Doubles, at least, it has been amazing. I've posted the set here before, but for a refresher the set I've been using goes like this:

Aegislash w/Leftovers
Adamant Nature, Stance Change Ability
EVs: 240 HP / 200 Sp. Def. / 68 Def.
- King's Shield
- Iron Defense
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Claw

This Aegislash is so durable that after just one Iron Defense she can take an Earthquake from Mega Garchomp and just kind of laugh at it. The Adamant Nature gives your attack a little boost so when you do attack, which isn't often mind you, it'll do some appreciable damage to most things.

What I've been toying with lately, however, is replacing the Leftovers with a Weakness Policy. People see Aegislash and know it's bad news so they try to take it out with fire or ground moves ASAP. I figure that could be used to great effect with a defensive set similar to this with the Weakness Policy there to boost attack stats. And given that the Policy boosts Atk & Sp. Atk., I think this gives a great opportunity for a mixed Aegislash. Maybe something like this:

Aegislash w/Weakness Policy
Sassy Nature, Stance Change Ability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def. / 4 Def.
- King's Shield
- Iron Defense
- Sacred Sword/Shadow Claw/Shadow Sneak
- Flash Cannon/Shadow Ball/Hidden Power Rock

Sassy Nature and the Sp. Def. EVs will help fortify you against special Fire attacks. Aegislash is all about out-predicting your opponent, so use your discretion on Turn 1 between King's Shield and Iron Defense. I'd make the argument that Turn 1 ID is the best bet since an unboosted super-effective isn't likely to OHKO you with this setup unless it's a STAB crit. Once you've got the boost on board, though, go to town as you see fit. I would not double up on Ghost attacks, though, so I strongly recommend mixing and matching as you see fit. My personal recommendation is for Sacred Sword as your Physical, but arguments can be made for Shadow Claw and Shadow Sneak as well. Special attack-wise, there are a few options here. Flash Cannon and Shadow Ball get STAB, of course. HP Rock would strictly be for Fire-type coverage, though I'm not sure how much you'd have to sacrifice in stats in order to get it.

In Doubles, I would pair this with Klefki or Meowstic(M) for screens or maybe Chansey/Blissey with Heal Bell. In Singles, this Aegislash would be great with a Wish passer for support.

Comments, suggestions, and criticism welcome as always. :)

Martinzqx

Whimsicott @ leftovers/life orb
Timid Nature Infiltrator
EVS: 252 Sp. Attack/ 248 HP/ 8 Sp. Defense
-Substitute
-Growth
-Moonblast
-Giga Drain/Energy Ball

I'm obviously going for an offensive whimsicott. I figure giga drain can help me restore HP from substitute, but energy ball hits way hard especially after a growth. Thoughts?

Galvantula1992

Hi everyone, I'm just starting Pokémon X and I want to know a good nature and final moveset for the Chespin I want to pick as my starter, as I only plan on only going through the game with it (not using it competitively, as I will get a Bulletproof one through Friend Safari).

So, basically, I want to know the best nature, hold item, EV spread and moveset for an Overgrow Chesnaught to be used for in-game playthrough. Could someone tell me, please?

Habblox

#Donthateprocrastin8
I have another 'strange' idea...

Dragonite @ Lum Berry/Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252SpD/252Def/6Atk
Moves:
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Brick Break/Dragon Claw

Very weird set, I know, and it will definitely need some touching up. I thought that Multiscale might actually be a very good thing for a tank to have, and despite Dragonite not being a tank by origin, I don't think its defences are too bad. 167 for each (after fully maxed out, including positive nature, EVs and IVs) defensive stat. I chose an Impish nature because the defense stat with a neutral nature is 147, and the Special Defense stat is 156. Although going (-SpA, +Spd) isn't much of a bad idea either because I think Dragonite is bound to get hit a lot more by ice type moves because of his 4x weakness.

Feedback? :)

Onyx Tanuki

I have another 'strange' idea...

Moves:
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

Very weird set, I know, and it will definitely need some touching up. I thought that Multiscale might actually be a very good thing for a tank to have, and despite Dragonite not being a tank by origin, I don't think its defences are too bad. 167 for each (after fully maxed out, including positive nature, EVs and IVs) defensive stat. I chose an Impish nature because the defense stat with a neutral nature is 147, and the Special Defense stat is 156. Although going (-SpA, +Spd) isn't much of a bad idea either because I think Dragonite is bound to get hit a lot more by ice type moves because of his 4x weakness.

Feedback? :)

I think it's worth looking into whether Multiscale will be "refreshed" by bringing HP back up to max. If so, this could potentially be viable. However, the fact that it only works with full HP, unlike other tanky abilities like Marvel Scale, Solid Rock, or Thick Fat, makes it a lot less reliable. Furthermore, you're limiting Dragonite's attacks down to one, and the attacks you've chosen can both be effectively blocked by at least one type. Aegislash and any Fairy type could easily shut this set down, and depending on your choice of attack move, so could most other Steel and/or Ghost types. Given your choice of EV investment, it'll have pretty good defenses, but I'd imagine you'd get just as much bulk from just 252 HP instead, which would give you room to stuff some of those EVs into Attack and Speed. It's kind of a shame Dragonite doesn't get a draining move like Drain Punch or Giga Drain, because that'd potentially make a Multiscale Assault Vest Dragonite nigh unstoppable in terms of bulk, only really having to worry about status, Stealth Rock, and faster pokemon with Ice moves.

UnitRico

I think it's worth looking into whether Multiscale will be "refreshed" by bringing HP back up to max.

Like with an unused Focus Sash and Sturdy, Multiscale will be activated every time Dragonite is at full HP.
I also completely agree with you on the EVs - if you're going for a purely bulky set, going for 252 or 248 HP EVs is probably the way to go every time.

KillerDraco

I think it's worth looking into whether Multiscale will be "refreshed" by bringing HP back up to max. If so, this could potentially be viable.

It is. This was discovered back in Gen 5. Like Sturdy, any time you're at full HP, Multiscale will activate.

Moves:
- Roost
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

This is one of those things that would've worked better last generation than it does this generation. Mono-attacking sets are at serious risk for being walled entirely by something immune to their one attack, and this is no exception. Whereas last generation, with enough boosts you could still muscle through Steel types, this generation, all it takes is something like Florges, Sylveon, or Azumarill switching in to force you out with ease. No matter which move you choose for attacking, you'll be walled, either by Fairies or Ghost types.

Bulky SubRoost Dragonite can still be viable, but not as a sweeper. Its speed is too low, such that without EV investment it's easy to outspeed even after a DD boost. Bulky Dragonite should usually focus on its bulky by abusing things like Dragon Tail, status, etc., things that it would otherwise not be able to do in a sweeping role. It has the bulk needed to phase things out with relative ease, and can rack up entry hazard damage, in addition to paralyzing/poisoning everything in sight.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Does anyone want to give me advice about this new Pokémon i am training? It's been hatched in Y so no access to move tutors.

Timid Sceptile @ item (have not decided yet)
Ability: Overgrow
EV's: skip this one i am no EV Trainer
- Worry Seed
- Energy Ball
- Leech Seed
-

I will be using this Pokémon in Double Battles mostly, alongside Regigigas probably. That's why i need Worry Seed. Feel free to fill in whatever i left blank. Thanks!

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
Heya! First time posting in this thread.
So, I have this flawless Unburden Treecko I recently hatched, and I honestly want to try using it on a random wi-fi (or Battle Maison) team sometime.
The problem is, I have no idea what item to give it. I'd definitely consider the Flying Gem + Acrobatics combo, but unfortunately, I don't think the Flying Gem is found in XY.
I'd like some input on this. I already have everything else planned out, and am currently training him.

Erendil (Sceptile♂) @ [Item to be determined; possibly either Weakness Policy or Lum Berry?]
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Dragon Claw / Rock Slide [have yet to decide between one of these three]

Onyx Tanuki

Does anyone want to give me advice about this new Pokémon i am training? It's been hatched in Y so no access to move tutors.

Timid Sceptile @ item (have not decided yet)
Ability: Overgrow
EV's: skip this one i am no EV Trainer
- Worry Seed
- Energy Ball
- Leech Seed
-

I will be using this Pokémon in Double Battles mostly, alongside Regigigas probably. That's why i need Worry Seed. Feel free to fill in whatever i left blank. Thanks!

Personally, I don't think Sceptile has the bulk to really put a support set to use unless his teammate has abilities to draw in the opponent's attacks like Rage Powder or Follow Me. His stats scream Special Scarf revenge killer, with him having poor defensive stats, but good Special and phenominal Speed. But then, I don't know how viable a revenge killer is in Doubles, considering there's usually going to be something left over to try killing the revenge killer back, and Sceptile's frailty doesn't really lend well to surviving a counterattack. In any case, you should really add in a second attack even if you're sticking to that set; I'd say Hidden Power [Flying/Rock], Dragon Breath, or Dragon Pulse would be your best bets, and if you can get Dragon Pulse, possibly got for Giga Drain over Energy Ball for the added recovery.

Also, with the advent of Super Training, there really is no longer an excuse not to EV train your pokemon. In this case, since you want him to live a good while, I'd go for HP and SpAtt mostly, and maybe put your remainder in SpDef.

Heya! First time posting in this thread.
So, I have this flawless Unburden Treecko I recently hatched, and I honestly want to try using it on a random wi-fi (or Battle Maison) team sometime.
The problem is, I have no idea what item to give it. I'd definitely consider the Flying Gem + Acrobatics combo, but unfortunately, I don't think the Flying Gem is found in XY.
I'd like some input on this. I already have everything else planned out, and am currently training him.

Erendil (Sceptile♂) @ [Item to be determined; possibly either Weakness Policy or Lum Berry?]
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 Defense / 252 Speed
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Crunch
- Earthquake / Dragon Claw / Rock Slide [have yet to decide between one of these three]

While he's much better on the Special side, Sceptile does have a workable movepool for a physical set. I seriously don't think Weakness Policy would be a good idea though; as I mentioned for the previous set, Sceptile is really frail, so counting on him surviving a super-effective attack is not a good bet. I'd strongly suggest Acrobatics/Leaf Blade/Earthquake as your attacking set, as that's got pretty amazing coverage. If you think you can switch him in on something that'll hurt him but not kill him, you could possibly go for Liechi or Sitrus Berry, while Lum Berry is good if you plan to bring him in on Toxic or Will-o-Wisp. I'm not sure if Ground Gem is available, but if so, that'd be useful as an item for him to utilize. I'd really watch out for anything that commonly uses priority moves though, like Banette or Weavile. Keep in mind that he loses the Unburden buff if he switches out, so you're going to want to save him for late-game sweeping.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Dugtrio @ Focus sash
Arena Trap
Jolly
252 Spd/ 252 Atk/ 4 Hp
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Memento
- Hone claws

After using Whismicott as a Suicide lead I thought of having an offensive Suicide lead instead of defensive. With power to mow down things such as Heatran and Scizor pretty quickly. I also wanted to trap my opponents so just in case attacking wouldn't be as helpful I can use Memento and help set up a different Pokemon. (Though I bet most people don't run Dugtrio like this.) Does this seem good enough for what i'm aiming for? (Some Pokemon outspeed Dugtrio.)

SilverLanayru

It's a mystery.
While he's much better on the Special side, Sceptile does have a workable movepool for a physical set. I seriously don't think Weakness Policy would be a good idea though; as I mentioned for the previous set, Sceptile is really frail, so counting on him surviving a super-effective attack is not a good bet. I'd strongly suggest Acrobatics/Leaf Blade/Earthquake as your attacking set, as that's got pretty amazing coverage. If you think you can switch him in on something that'll hurt him but not kill him, you could possibly go for Liechi or Sitrus Berry, while Lum Berry is good if you plan to bring him in on Toxic or Will-o-Wisp. I'm not sure if Ground Gem is available, but if so, that'd be useful as an item for him to utilize. I'd really watch out for anything that commonly uses priority moves though, like Banette or Weavile. Keep in mind that he loses the Unburden buff if he switches out, so you're going to want to save him for late-game sweeping.
Yeah, I figured using one of those one-time-use berries would probably be best for this set. From what I know, I've only found a Normal Gem in-game so far, but I'm not sure if the other gems exist. Only thing I can see useful with the Normal Gem is Crush Claw, but then again, who uses Normal-type offensive moves (besides Facade, Return, and the occasional Boomburst/Hyper Voice on certain Pokémon)? .-. Thanks for your feedback, though!

Dugtrio @ Focus sash
Arena Trap
Jolly
252 Spd/ 252 Atk/ 4 Hp
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Memento
- Hone claws

After using Whismicott as a Suicide lead I thought of having an offensive Suicide lead instead of defensive. With power to mow down things such as Heatran and Scizor pretty quickly. I also wanted to trap my opponents so just in case attacking wouldn't be as helpful I can use Memento and help set up a different Pokemon. (Though I bet most people don't run Dugtrio like this.) Does this seem good enough for what i'm aiming for? (Some Pokemon outspeed Dugtrio.)
Your overall set is good. However, I'd personally consider Reversal somewhere in that set. (I don't know if Hone Claws will be worth it in the long run, being a suicide lead and such.) After Dugtrio takes a hit and Focus Sash is used up, it can definitely utilize Reversal to its full potential at that situation; plus, you have more offensive type coverage that way.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Personally, I don't think Sceptile has the bulk to really put a support set to use unless his teammate has abilities to draw in the opponent's attacks like Rage Powder or Follow Me. His stats scream Special Scarf revenge killer, with him having poor defensive stats, but good Special and phenominal Speed. But then, I don't know how viable a revenge killer is in Doubles, considering there's usually going to be something left over to try killing the revenge killer back, and Sceptile's frailty doesn't really lend well to surviving a counterattack. In any case, you should really add in a second attack even if you're sticking to that set; I'd say Hidden Power [Flying/Rock], Dragon Breath, or Dragon Pulse would be your best bets, and if you can get Dragon Pulse, possibly got for Giga Drain over Energy Ball for the added recovery.

Also, with the advent of Super Training, there really is no longer an excuse not to EV train your pokemon.

I realized that later yeah, Giga Drain would be better. I cannot teach it Dragon Pulse though. So it'll get Worry Seed, Giga Drain,
Focus Blast and a fourth move. I dunno about Hidden Power, i would have to breed a lot of Treecko beford i might get a good HP. And i planed from the beginning to have Sceptile go through Super Training, so all that's really left to decide is its item and fourth move.

Onyx Tanuki

I realized that later yeah, Giga Drain would be better. I cannot teach it Dragon Pulse though. So it'll get Worry Seed, Giga Drain,
Focus Blast and a fourth move. I dunno about Hidden Power, i would have to breed a lot of Treecko beford i might get a good HP. And i planed from the beginning to have Sceptile go through Super Training, so all that's really left to decide is its item and fourth move.

Yeah, Dragon Pulse is a move you'd have to transfer from B2W2, as it's only learned by the Move Tutors there, and only by fully-evolved Sceptile, so if you don't wanna transfer one then Dragon Pulse isn't an option. Also, keep in mind that with the stabilization of Hidden Power's base power, the only variance to HP now is its typing, so you're a lot more likely to get the one you want than before. Still, if you can't get Flying or Rock, then Dragon Breath is probably going to be your best bet, since it's the same power as HP and has a Paralyze chance. And if you wanted to go Revenge Killer for it, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to have a transferred one, since Grass, Dragon, Fighting, and Normal are its only options, and it's more viable to replace your Normal attack (which would be either Swift or Razor Wind, neither of which is especially useful) with Hidden Power. Althoough that does remind me, if it does go Revenge Killer, you could give it Leaf Storm in place of Energy Ball for the sake of power...

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Yeah, Dragon Pulse is a move you'd have to transfer from B2W2, as it's only learned by the Move Tutors there, and only by fully-evolved Sceptile, so if you don't wanna transfer one then Dragon Pulse isn't an option. Also, keep in mind that with the stabilization of Hidden Power's base power, the only variance to HP now is its typing, so you're a lot more likely to get the one you want than before. Still, if you can't get Flying or Rock, then Dragon Breath is probably going to be your best bet, since it's the same power as HP and has a Paralyze chance. And if you wanted to go Revenge Killer for it, you'd be doing yourself a disservice not to have a transferred one, since Grass, Dragon, Fighting, and Normal are its only options, and it's more viable to replace your Normal attack (which would be either Swift or Razor Wind, neither of which is especially useful) with Hidden Power. Althoough that does remind me, if it does go Revenge Killer, you could give it Leaf Storm in place of Energy Ball for the sake of power...

Well i need it to have Worry Seed to screw over with Pokémon's abilities and to erase Slow Start from Regigigas. Perhaps giving it a Petaya Berry will be useful? Aside from Giga Drain and Worry Seed, Focus Blast and Dragonbreath? I really, really don't know how to get the best Hidden Power possible. Typing, maybe, but that stabilization of HP power... I am not looking forward to it.