• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Singles Rate Thread [Read the Rules and Follow the Format]

KillerDraco

So I'm trying to go for a Groudon now after setting up Kyogre, but I've been having a harder time of it due to Rest.

My goal is a physical sweeper with all around coverage like any other. I'm thinking Fire and Thunder punch, Dragon Claw, and Precipice Blades. I've been having to soft reset for about 4 days now. The times it has good IV spread it's nature isn't right, and when it's nature is right(yes I'm using synchro) it's IVs are wrong.

So my last catch has an IV spread of 5, 6 / 31 / 5, 6 / 27, 28 / 31 / 31
Is this good enough or do I still need to keep resetting?

Considering part of Groudon's appeal is its amazing physical bulk, I'd advise to reset. Its HP and Defense IVs are truly horrid and that compromises its physical bulk by a fair amount.

REVENULF

Well for the record I'm not interested in it's def or sp def, I've already caught ones that had perfect def/sp def/spe, one time it even had perfect sp atk as well, but either it's health or attack or both remain below 10 on almost every catch so far. But since I'm only going for a sweeper setup, which is really the only role I ever give my pokemon, as I don't play tank roles often, and I've never once entertained the idea of a support.

But yeah, it's health is something I'm worried about. The best I'm hoping for is perfect HP, Atk, and Spe, but the chances that all 3 of it's perfect stats are those three is pretty steep, though with primal reversion I doubt having perfect attack is as necessary as the other two, and with the long animations and matching ball use it's been a very tedious week...but Groudon is one of my long time favorites, so atleast the beginning cutscenes are bearable, unlike the ending cutscene...I can almost quote Archie and Maxie's speeches, as well as Stevens by now, lol.

Final

I Submit to No One
So I'm trying to go for a Groudon now after setting up Kyogre, but I've been having a harder time of it due to Rest.
My goal is a physical sweeper with all around coverage like any other. I'm thinking

6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Fire Punch
Thunder punch
Dragon Claw
Precipice Blades.

I've been having to soft reset for about 4 days now. The times it has good IV spread it's nature isn't right, and when it's nature is right(yes I'm using synchro) it's IVs are wrong.
So my last catch has an IV spread of 5, 6 / 31 / 5, 6 / 27, 28 / 31 / 31
Is this good enough or do I still need to keep resetting?

Groudon @ Red Orb
Adamant / Jolly Nature
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Fire Punch
~ Rock Slide / Stone Edge
~ Earthquake / Precipice Blades

Thunder Punch is pretty useless for Groudon. Swords Dance doubles its Attack in a single turn which makes Groudon even harder to stop and easier to KO opponents with. Not to mention a STAB EQ is as strong as a Super Effective Thunder Punch and Precipice Blades is even stronger again. Rock Slide / Stone Edge gives Groudon great type coverage with its STAB moves hitting the flying types that his Ground type STAB can't hit and usually harder than Fire Punch would hit them with. Dragon Claw is decent for Dragon types not hit by Groudon's Ground-type STAB, but pretty much anything Dragon Claw hits Rock Slide / Stone Edge hit super effectively anyway.

Yeah. It would be better to reset for better HP and Defense IVs, but I suppose in-game, it's still useable.

Oh and for Kyogre, use Thunder over Ancient Power. It's 100% accurate in the rain and it gives Kyogre stupidly good type coverage with its STAB and Ice Beam. Ancient Power is really weak especially without STAB and doesn't really cover anything important for Kyogre. EQ isn't that great on it either. Electric doesn't resist water anyway and the one target it could be used for (Primal Groudon) wouldn't take much from it anyway. Hidden Power Ground is better for it anyway if Kyogre has it.

REVENULF

My latest Groudon came out at
Jolly
31 / 27, 28 / 31 / 18, 19 / 31 / 25, 26
Is this better or should I keep trying for perfect attack and speed?

As for my moves I chose those to show what type of setup I want to give a better idea of what stats I need. I might could use Swords Dance, I just feel rather nervous dropping a damaging move for it since I really don't like stat boosts since the take up coverage spots, though with desolate land I guess there's not need to fear water attacks, so I'll swap it out for Stone Edge.

As for Dragon claw I thought about all the dragons that could resist Groudon's moves like rayquaza, garchomp, kingdra. hydregion, etc. and realized I had no moves against them so I decided on dragon claw and I could still do normal damage to most of Groudon's counters, such as Gliscor. Btw he doesn't get STAB on rock moves, fire and ground get STAB.

Also anything 4 to levels or higher is good enough for in-game so I'm looking more at competitive quality, I know I can't use him in tournaments but he'll be a staying member on my secret base and wifi teams.

As for Kyogre I don't know what it's Hidden Power is yet, the one I used as an example of what I'm looking for had Hidden Power Ice, but that was brought up from Sapphire, so I can only hope that Alpha's Kyogre will have a better Hidden Power, since it'll have better stats anyway.

Last edited:

Final

I Submit to No One
My latest Groudon came out at
Jolly
31 / 27, 28 / 31 / 18, 19 / 31 / 25, 26
Is this better or should I keep trying for perfect attack and speed?

As for my moves I chose those to show what type of setup I want to give a better idea of what stats I need. I might could use Swords Dance, I just feel rather nervous dropping a damaging move for it since I really don't like stat boosts since the take up coverage spots, though with desolate land I guess there's not need to fear water attacks, so I'll swap it out for Stone Edge.

As for Dragon claw I thought about my all the dragons that could resist Groudon's moves like rayquaza, garchomp, kingdra. hydregion, etc. and realized I had no moves against them so I decided on dragon claw. I could try Hone Claws instead to boost accuracy on SE and PB and still boost attack some, but I'm not sure if it would be enough to guarantee a OHKO against Groudon's counters such as the popular Gliscor. With Dragon Claw I could still do normal damage. Btw he doesn't get STAB on rock moves, fire and ground get STAB.

Also anything 4 to levels or higher is good enough for in-game so I'm looking more at competitive quality, I know I can't use him in tournaments but he'll be a staying member on my secret base and wifi teams.

As for Kyogre I don't know what it's Hidden Power is yet, the one I used as an example of what I'm looking for had Hidden Power Ice, but that was brought up from Sapphire, so I can only hope that Alpha's Kyogre will have a better Hidden Power, since it'll have better stats anyway.

For Groudon, the Attack is passable, but you'll want 31 in Speed so you don't lose Speed ties against opposing Jolly Groudons or + Speed Nature base 90s. After a Swords Dance, the extra coverage move becomes a bit less necessary. For the Dragons, apart from Hydreigon, they all take more damage from Stone Edge (Rayquaza) or EQ/PB (Garchomp and Kingdra) though Dragon Claw is more reliable than Stone Edge and stronger than Rock Slide so it has its uses. Gliscor won't enjoy a +2 Stone Edge that much, but it's still a problem if it's EV'd to be faster since it can Roost, resist and stall it out. You should have team mates that can take Gliscor out reliably anyway so if you see one, try and eliminate it before attempting to sweep with Groudon. You could also try a Naive Nature and run Overheat over Fire Punch since it'll destroy Gliscor in the Sun. Especially with STAB and off Primal Groudon's base 150 Special Attack.

For Kyogre, if the Hidden Power is Ground, it's useable. Otherwise, you're better off with another filler move as everything else will generally outdamage a Super Effective Hidden Power.

REVENULF

Sadly a lot of Groudon's strongest moves are special despite it's main focus on attack stat, also if I had any intention of using his special attack I would probably go with a hasty nature, I'd rather lose some of his high defense then drop his poor special defense any lower, it's practically his worst stat out of all 6.

Also was wondering if Hone Claws would be better over Swords Dance, even though it's less of a boost to attack it'll help ensure more hits with SE and PB which have low accuracy.
I guess when looking at it that way I can go without Dragon Claw and use a stat booster. However anyone using Rayquaza is more than likely using his Mega which protects him from super-effective hits to his flying type, but not dragon type, but hopefully it won't be too much a sacrifice if I can boost Groudon's stats enough beforehand.

So just keep resetting some more for perfect speed?
At this point I've accepted not getting a perfect Groudon as I don't have the patience to watch that ending cutscene with team magma much longer...as long as I can have two perfect stats in the right place I should be fine competitively, I hope. Question is aside from speed what other stat needs a 31?

Last edited:

Final

I Submit to No One
Hone Claws has its merits, but it's only a +1 boost to Attack and Swords Dance is better overall for boosting Attack. Misses do suck with Stone Edge and Precipice Blades, but he does have more reliable alternatives in Rock Slide and Earthquake if you don't mind the power drop.

You'd want Speed at least to be a 31. Attack and HP are preferable at 31 as well as his Defenses, but you can get away with those being a little lower (probably no lower than about 28). Also, you can just KO Groudon and go after it after beating the Elite Four since it'll respawn if you KO after you beat the Elite Four. That way, you'll avoid the cut-scenes. Honestly, I'd settle on the Attack and Speed being perfect and any other perfect or good IVs being a bonus, but lower HP and lower Defenses can be the difference between being OHKO'd or 2HKO'd and so on. It sucks if you get 2HKO'd by something that would otherwise 3HKO if the IVs were better or perfect in the defensive stats. The same is true should your Attack IVs be lower and you lose an OHKO on something because of a lower Attack IV.

REVENULF

Well unfortunately like I said I don't have the patience for a 4, 5, or worse 6 IV legendary, if I really wanted that I'd just trade for it and catch any old Groudon. I'm only interested in his 3 best stats since he's only garunteed 3IVs, any others could be 0 and I'd still use it, which at this point doesn't matter, I've decided to give up on Groudon completely, it's just not worth my time, sooo...I'll just my Charizard Y
So I've been meaning to update Jumpluff, haven't used it since Coliseum, and didn't know anything about EVs or IVs at the time.
My old Jumpluff was set up for double battles while partnered with Groudon(when he was the only drought user and there wasn't a set amount of turns for ability induced weather). So his basic setup was

Jumpluff
Chlorophyll
-Sleep Powder
-Synthesis
-Solarbeam
-Cotton Spore

With drought in play Jumpluff would be able to outspeed any pokemon the opponent had. Sleep powder to put ice types to sleep since both Jumpluff and Groudon were weak to ice and Synthesis and Solarbeam to capitalize on sun. Cotton Spore was just thrown in cause I didn't have any other moves to use at the time.

With the changes and new moves added he could really use an overhaul. Solarbeam is still his best move given the abilities Chlorophyll and Leaf Guard, but then there's Infiltrator, so I'm not really sure which ability is best for him, nor what item to give him. Should I stick with a similar setup as his old one or go more offensive with some thing like...

Jumpluff @ Big Root
Adamant
6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Arial Ace/Acrobatics
-Seed Bomb
-U-turn
-Leech Seed

This set gives a better move pool over his special since both are tied at 55 base. The combo Leech Seed/U-turn sounds promising, especially when bringing out a pokemon that is good at walling or stalling.

Last edited:

deano_ue

Snorlax help?

I'm at the moment building a large team one Pokemon for every type that lets me mix and match. And I've picked snorlax for my normal. But I'm stumped on evs

I'm running at the moment a ph adamant munchlax with thick fat and I plan to use the moves

Body slam
Rest
Crunch
Earthquake/???

I did think of curse or pursuit but honestly trying to get an adamant and thick fat took long enough and I'm getting tired of breeding

I'm new to this whole ev competitive battling so I would appreciate any and all advice on where to go with my Evs or moves

Will this work well?

Crobat - Choice Band
Jolly - 252Atk - 252Speed - 4Sp.Def
-Brave Bird
-Zen Headbutt
-Steel Wing
-Cross Poison

Brave Bird and Cross Poison both have STAB and Steel Wing deals with Rock types and I don't know if I should change anything or not.

Mye

Someone has to win..
Will this work well?

Crobat - Choice Band
Jolly - 252Atk - 252Speed - 4Sp.Def
-Brave Bird
-Zen Headbutt
-Steel Wing
-Cross Poison

Brave Bird and Cross Poison both have STAB and Steel Wing deals with Rock types and I don't know if I should change anything or not.

Yeah, the problem with crobat as a choice user is the fact that most of its coverage options are either heavily resisted or don't actually affect quite a few things (something like bisharp/pawniard actually ruins this entire set). If you're looking for a flying type choice user, try moltres/zapdos (or if you feel ridiculously bold go for articuno).

Buuz

Smash Trainer
I have some trouble deciding between these two:

Togetic @ Eviolite
Serene Grace
Calm
- Follow Me
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- ?

Or...

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
Serene Grace
Calm
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave/Aura Sphere

These girls are for Battle Maison doubles. Also, i have other Pokémon like Serperior and Incarnate Thundurus to cause paralysis, so Thunder Wave can be missed. Suggestions anyone? That bulky Togetic looks very tempting...

I have some trouble deciding between these two:

Togetic @ Eviolite
Serene Grace
Calm
- Follow Me
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam
- ?

Or...

Togekiss @ Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
Serene Grace
Calm
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder Wave/Aura Sphere

These girls are for Battle Maison doubles. Also, i have other Pokémon like Serperior and Incarnate Thundurus to cause paralysis, so Thunder Wave can be missed. Suggestions anyone? That bulky Togetic looks very tempting...

Togetic would work well for more of a supporter than an attacker. If you want an attacker, then go with Togekiss.

Buuz

Smash Trainer
Togetic would work well for more of a supporter than an attacker. If you want an attacker, then go with Togekiss.

That's a good point. I need a bulky supporter atm so Togetic will be the one. I still have her daddy the Togekiss, so he can be an attacker. Thanks for helping me out.

TheDrakeKnight

Novice Trainer
anyone know a good moveset for a gallade/mega gallade? ive been tryin to look for one but most ive seen on youtube was not all that good please help.

Mye

Someone has to win..
anyone know a good moveset for a gallade/mega gallade? ive been tryin to look for one but most ive seen on youtube was not all that good please help.

Depends on what you wanna do with it. From what I've seen people either run bulky ones with drain punch/psycho cut/bulk up/shadow sneak or pure offensive ones with close combat/psycho cut/ice punch/shadow sneak.

KillerDraco

This is the absolute standard Mega Gallade set:

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off

Justified lets Gallade take advantage of the abundant Knock Offs being used, since its Mega Stone can't be knocked off and it gains an attack boost from it. Swords Dance raises its attack to sky-high levels which makes it difficult to switch into. Close Combat and Zen Headbutt are obvious STAB attacks that pack the most power, while Knock Off offers valuable coverage against Ghosts/Psychic types and is a generally good attack due to its ability to punish switch-ins by stripping them of their items.

Leafy Sea Dragon

So my Linoone is the only one on my main team that missed out on Pokerus. Apparently the rest of my team and an HM slave/Groudon have that pink face icon, I wish I knew I had it back then... While my Linoone is still good, I worry it's not as good as the rest of my team for that reason, it has fainted more than I'd like. My Linoone's moveset probably isn't the best, but I'm okay with it and I'm more-so looking for recommendations on Super Training. I'm all for suggestions on a better moveset though.

Linoone
Nature: Bashful
Characteristic: Likes to thrash about
Ability: Pickup
-Play Rough (For its weakness to fighting)
-Strength (strong STAB and HM move)
-Covet (To steal a wild pokemon's held item, however I never really use it)
-Odor Sleuth (To hit ghost types)

So for the Super Training bit:
I was thinking about adding EVs into any of the stats other than the Specials. I do not know which ones though so that's why I'm posting. o/

Edit: Thinking about it more, SpD might be useful too. The only one I don't see adding to is SpA as my Linoone is highly physical with attack.

Last edited:
It could do better for Covet like having Quick Attack and Odor Sleuth is good to have but you may not use it much.

Leafy Sea Dragon

It could do better for Covet like having Quick Attack and Odor Sleuth is good to have but you may not use it much.

If you were suggesting to replace Covet with Quick Attack: Isn't Quick Attack weaker, and Linoone has good enough speed anyway or?

Also, if the info is needed, The IV Checker at Battle Resort says "Above average", "Attack", and "Can't be beat".