• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Sister Confusion: Agatha and Bertha?

ButtteredToast

Are Agatha, the Kanto Elite-4 member no. 3. and Bertha, the Sinnoh Elite-4 member no. 2. sisters? Well, lets look at the facts first:

Names

Their Japanese names are only one letter apart, Kikuko being Agatha's Japanese name, and Kikuno being Bertha's.

In English, their names are both 6 letters long, being A G A T H A and B E R T H A, and they both end in the syllable "tha".

Position

Both are very powerful trainers in their own right. They are both members of the Elite-4 of a league, and both have very powerful Pokemon.

Look

They both look very similar, being of the same height, hair-style, and sharing the same eye-colour (brown, since you ask). Also, if you dye Bertha's hair yellow, there is a definite resemblance to Agatha.

Pokemon

Bertha's team: Lv. 55 Quagsire, Lv. 55 Whiscash, Lv 56 Hippowdon, Lv 57 Sudowoodo, Lv 59 Golem

Agatha's R/B/Y Team: Lv. 55 Haunter, Lv. 56 Gengar, Lv. 56 Golbat, Lv. 58 Arbok, Lv 60 Gengar

Agatha's Fr/Lg Team: Lv. 53 Haunter, Lv. 54 Gengar, Lv. 54 Golbat, Lv. 56 Arbok, Lv. 58 Gengar

Agatha's Fr/Lg rematch team: Lv. 65 Misdreavus, Lv. 66 Gengar, Lv. 66 Crobat, Lv. 68 Arbok, Lv. 70 Gengar

Agatha's Stadium R1 team*: Haunter, Golbat, Arbok, Muk, Venusaur, Gengar

Agatha's Stadium R2 team*: Jynx, Alakazam, Arbok, Gyarados, Venusaur, Gengar

Note the level similarities between some of Agatha's teams, and Bertha's team, in particular Agatha's original R/B/Y team.

So, what do you think? Are they indeed sisters? If so, what happened? How did Agatha come to Kanto, and become Prof. Oak's amour? Why did Bertha remain in Sinnoh? What caused the two to be split up? And, later in life, why has Agatha's relationship with prof. Oak soured? Why has Agatha become so bitter compared to her possible sister, Bertha? And what part does Bertha play in Agatha's life? Speculate on this sister confusion here!

* The Stadium teams are set at level 50. If one of your Pokemons levels is higher than 50, they are set to the level of your highest leveled Pokemon.
I sorta agree witht this theory but i have a different speculation. I believe agatha and bertha used to be rivaling sisters in terms of pokemon battling and their personalities. Agatha is a tough mean granny wheras bertha is more sublte and kind. Also note their type specialties - Bertha uses ground types and Agatha uses poison types. Poison types are weak against to ground types so perhaps there was some sort of sibling rivalary when they were younger. Why Bertha is in sinnoh and Agatha in Kanto? I don't know. But I think there was sort of big fight that caused them to split and travel somewhere else to continue their own adventure. Bertha could have potentially travelled to Sinnoh and trained there to become a pokemon trainer so strong that she is a part of the elite four. Same with Agatha.