• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Sky Drop Team (An OU Triples Gimmick)

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Sky Drop is an amazing move. On the first turn, you and an opponent go into the air, where neither the pokemon that attacked nor the pokemon designated as the target can take any actions. On the second turn, if the opponent's pokemon goes first, its attack fails. If your pokemon goes first, it lands, dealing a 60 power move (with STAB except in the case of Mew) to the opponent, before finally allowing the opponent to make an attack.

In single battles, this may seem a mere stall tactic, and a risky one at that, but in Triples, Sky Drop can shine to such an extent that I am almost surprised it hasn't been banned. This, in numerical order, is my team, a gimmick of epic proportions that harnesses the amazing potential of Sky Drop.

035.gif
139.gif
142.gif
612.gif
641.gif
642.gif

Already you must be thinking that this team is somewhat lacking in synergy. This is because the overall strategy is more important on a team with as many gimmicks as this one. Critics of gimmicks, no matter how good they are, should probably stop reading now. A post that says "this team is a gimmick" is meaningless to me. Still, I did consider synergy to some extent. That’s why I used Haxorus instead of a Linoone with Gluttony, a Salac Berry, and Belly Drum. Without further ado, I present...

The Sky Drop Team

035.gif

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP, 200 Def, 56 SpDef

- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Wish
- Follow Me

Clefairy is a very potent member of the team, and an awesome gimmick in and of itself. The idea is to use Cosmic Power as many times as possible, healing with Wish as needed. After 6 Cosmic Powers, Clefairy can provide an insane amount of support. First of all, its ability, Friend Guard, makes every pokemon on my team get an effective 25% boost to both defenses. It also runs Follow Me support, drawing attacks toward it and allowing other pokemon to get their stats up. Stored power is the last benefit – after 6 Cosmic Powers, its amazing 260 power means that even a pokemon as weak as Clefairy can do some damage if the situation requires. Even with Eviolite, I would never dare try something like this unless I was sure Clefairy could make it through the first few rounds. For that, I rely on Sky Drop support (which I’ll explain later) and the fact that the opponent usually will not abandon his or her strategy to go after a Clefairy. The EVs minimize the total damage, so this Clefairy can take a surprising amount of pain after just 2 or 3 Cosmic Powers.

139.gif

Omastar @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

- Shell Smash
- Blizzard
- Surf
- Protect

Sky Drop gives you basically one free turn to stat-up, and there is, in my opinion, no greater stat-up move than Shell Smash, doubling speed and offense at only the cost of a hold item. I originally wanted to Baton Pass, but that was a waste of move slot, and I wanted a serious special sweeper on the team. Thus, it was Omastar that beat Gorebyss by a narrow 1 point of base SpAtk and 3 points of Spe. Blizzard and Surf are pretty much the only special moves that affect more than one pokemon and that are learnable with Shell Smash. Protect is a staple of Triple Battles that should be given a move slot whenever possible.

142.gif

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

- Sky Drop
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Protect

Aerodactyl is my first and fastest Sky Drop user. It usually occupies the center position in case it needs to Earthquake something, but it could be on the side if I want one of the Kamis to eject, bringing in Omastar or Haxorus. I think it’s worth it to use Life Orb, as Aerodactyl isn’t going to survive much anyway. Hone Claws gives it a much-needed stat-up move that I can fall back on. Protect of course, is needed whenever possible in Triples, whether to survive a Surf or simply to bide time. Aerodactyl won’t last more than 10 turns, but most of my Triples battles are shorter than that anyway.

612.gif

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker

- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

EdgeQuake may be common in Singles, but in Triples, EarthSlide is pure gold, especially when you have the insane power of a +1 Haxorus. If you can get in a Dragon Dance, there is little to stop you from destroying the foe’s entire team, with some help from Sky Drop. Haxorus is obviously in the same class as Clefairy and Omastar, being one of the 3 pokemon on this team that uses Sky Drop as a means of setting up. Protect is a must, although I was tempted to throw in a hyper-powered Dragon-type move.

641.gif

Tornadus @ Eject Button
Ability: Defiant

- Sky Drop
- U-Turn
- Rain Dance
- Protect

Tornadus serves little purpose outside of being the second Sky Drop user. Because its priority moves aren’t that important, I decided to give it the Defiant ability, which blows up in my opponent’s face if he or she sends out a pokemon with Intimidate (reasonably common in Triples) or uses Leer/Sweet Scent/Growl (although those strategies are not as common these days). U-Turn is a great way to give one of my set-up users a safe switch-in, as is the Eject Button. Rain Dance was there because in Triples, it’s a bit more effective than Taunt and completely messes up Hail, Sun, and Sand Teams. Protect is obvious.

642.gif

Thundurus @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
Evs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

- Sky Drop
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Thundurus, my last Sky Drop user, was chosen for many of the same reasons as Tornadus: it’s fast, strong, and is one of the pitifully few pokemon that can learn Sky Drop. I went in a different direction on Thundurus, given the large number of non-damaging moves that Thundurus can use, and gave it the ability Prankster. It acts as the back-up for my team, getting rid of some things that can badly hurt my strategies. Thunder Wave is used at the beginning of matches, on switch-ins, and after the opponent uses a stat-up move, to prevent the opponent’s team from being faster than mine. My strategy relies to such an extent on speed that I used a friggin Aerodactyl, so those opponents need to be taken out with priority paralysis. Taunt destroys opposing gimmicks, Tailwind, Trick Room, phazers, and set-up. I had considered Heal Block, but this also destroys healing moves. It's only on one pokemon, rather than on the whole team. As usual, Protect is essential for general strategy, as is Sky Drop.

Strategy

I love this team because, unlike most gimmicks, it’s not unilateral and has many different techniques that you can use. If one of the gimmicks seems riskier, you can try a different one or mix aspects of different strategies. The basic strategies of a Sky Drop Team fall into a few basic groups.

The Reach Gimmick

The idea of this gimmick, the main gimmick of the team, is to get a pokemon to stat-up in safety. To do this, choose a pokemon on one end of the opposing side that is least likely to know reach moves (like Dark Pulse or Sky Attack) or full side moves (like Surf or Rock Slide). For the purposes of the example, let’s say that the scenario looks like this:

376.png
373.png
94.png

35.png
142.png
642.png

Gengar is most likely not going to use a reach or full side move, so I have Aerodactyl use Sky Drop on Salamence and Thundurus use Sky Drop on Metagross (Sky Drop is a reach move). Now, Clefairy is free to use Cosmic Power, with little risk of Gengar being able to harm it.

The Disruption Gimmick

This one is more simple. If the opponent is running an obvious set-up strategy, such if he or she is using a Whimsicott and a Terrakion or anything involving a Volcarona, I’ll use Sky Drop on the pokemon that the strategy depends on, preventing the strategy and most likely gaining a set-up turn in the process.

The Frustrated Follower Gimmick

This one is just plain amusing. Clefairy uses Follow Me, and then one of my Sky Drop users take it up into the air. The opponent’s pokemon are forced to pointlessly attack the space in which there used to be a Clefairy, while my 3rd pokemon uses a stat-up move. This might KO Clefairy, but usually not, especially if I used Wish the turn before, and have some Cosmic Powers up.

The Protection Gimmick

One of my Sky Drop users takes another pokemon into the air to save them from a gruesome fate as the third pokemon clears the field with Earthquake or Surf. This can be used if one of the pokemon used Protect last turn and needs a bit more time to stall, for example. Obviously, this can be used in conjunction with the Frustrated Follower Gimmick.

Conclusion

These gimmicks are just some of the many variations of strategies that this team and other Sky Drop teams can achieve (note, future Sky Drop team makers, that I invented the concept), in addition to obvious strategies like sacrificing Clefairy with Follow Me to provide set-up, having all but one pokemon use Protect to give the set-up pokemon that didn’t Protect decent odds, and straight-up sweeping. There are probably strategies involving Sky Drop that I have never imagined; I don’t think I’ve done anything more than scratch the surface of what teams like this can accomplish.

Please give me advice to improve this Triples team; substitutions are acceptable, but keep in mind that Sky Drop is the focus of the team, so I’d like to keep a large number of fast users of the move. Also, feel free to suggest pokemon, abilities, and items that aren’t available yet. For all intents and purposes, this is a PO team. Thanks!​

Last edited:
If you're running Sky Drop, then make absolute certain that you use Gravity with it. It creates a glitch that incapacitates the Sky Dropped Pokemon for the entire battle until the Sky Dropper switches or faints.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
If you're running Sky Drop, then make absolute certain that you use Gravity with it. It creates a glitch that incapacitates the Sky Dropped Pokemon for the entire battle until the Sky Dropper switches or faints.

Well, I hadn't heard of that, but it seems to me that using game glitches like that is kind of like cheating. I'm sorry, but I'll stick to the honerable gimmicks I know and love. (Ha! Gimmicks are honorable? Where do I get this stuff?)

Well, anyway, thanks for the advice, but I don't want to have to rely on things like that.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!

Thus why Sky Drop is banned in GBU's Random Matchup. It's a shame too, because Sky Drop is awesome in triple's.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Thus why Sky Drop is banned in GBU's Random Matchup. It's a shame too, because Sky Drop is awesome in triple's.

But it's not banned on Smogon or PO, and that's what I care about. Any suggestions for the team?

Last edited:

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
But it's not banned on Smogon or PO, and that's what I care about. Any suggestions for the team?

I do my battles on Random Matchup, so that ban is the only reason I don't have at least one Sky Dropper on all my triple's teams. Anyways, your team looks good. I just have some suggestions for your Thundurus, trade out Heal Block for Taunt and Protect for Thunder. Taunt stops healing for 2 turns less than Heal Block, but it also stops other taunters that could stop Clefairy from setting up early on and while Protect's always good for triple's, Thunder would work as a detorant for Rain Teams who would really hurt this team.

EDIT: Taunt would also stop Trick Room, Tailwind, and Phazers who would adversily affect this team.

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
@ Slivershark - I just changed Heal Block to Taunt. I was considering it, but seeing how much it ruins opposing gimmicks and other random stuff has convinced me.

Scizorisnotcool

Release The Kraken!
I have 0 experience with triples, but this looks like an awesome team that would be tons of fun to use.
Keep it up!

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Wow, thanks!

This is my first gimmick ever that has not gotten insulted within the first 10 posts. People on this site usually detest gimmicks. I wonder what I did right this time.

Also, somehow, the post I made to Jets about Thundurus being OU disappeared, as did Jets' comment. Did a mod do that, or what?

Last edited:

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
Wow, thanks!

This is my first gimmick ever that has not gotten insulted within the first 10 posts. People on this site usually detest gimmicks. I wonder what I did right this time.
Your team is not retarded and impossible to use in actual competitive play. That's what make this team different from your other ones.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Your team is not retarded and impossible to use in actual competitive play. That's what make this team different from your other ones.

Ouch! That stung! First of all, that was only one team, and I haven't stopped regretting it since I posted it. You forget some of my other gimmicks, the Sacrifice Team, and the V-Destroy. Those both were kind of bad, I guess, but still.

Alright, I guess there's some truth to what you're saying. But I'll take that reference to mean that you like this team, so thanks! This is the start of the new 3.14kachu, who makes useful gimmicks!

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
First of all, Sky drop is forbidden in Double & Triple battle.
So hmm.. well ignoring that

this team is pretty frail, maybe reconsider another Waller,
Evio Clefairy is not really something to rely on, might as well take chansey right.

Beaware of Trick room teams aswell,
They can ruin everything.

Not your best team design imo ;)

Well I'm not at all an expert on triples at all, but this looks pretty good. I have to ask, what about priority? Your Sky-Droppers are all fairly frail, it seems like Aqua Jet/Ice Shard would hurt this team a lot.

Maybe I'm wrong, honestly I'm jealous of the people who come up with ideas like this :p I can hardly ever think of my own strategies :O

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I just realized that what makes people take this gimmick seriously is that it's in Triples. Everyone uses gimmicks in Triples, although the gimmicks are usually more subtle, like Discharge + Lightningrod.

Anyway, to answer some of the criticism:

@ Azulart: For all intents and purposes, this team is for PO, where Sky Drop is neither banned on the PO server nor on the Smogon server. Only in Wi-fi or link battles is Sky Drop not allowed, and that's for a reason that I can't understand. Yes, the team is pretty frail, but it makes up for that in strategy and raw power. And the Clefairy thing works beautifully. Not only does Friend Guard make my team substantially more defensive, but Clefairy has so much strategy on its own. In every battle in which I have used Clefairy, I have been able to give it a +3 or higher boost in both of its defenses. Your point about Trick Room is more valid. While TR does mess up my strategy, I can deal with it pretty easily. If I see a lot of slow pokemon on the opponent's side, I will immediately target the Trick Room-user with Sky Drop to interrupt the strategy, or Taunt it. So it's usually more of a problem for the other team. It's not that hard to completely stop the opponents from using Trick Room while I set up and sweep throughout the match.

@ Dodobird133: I actually haven't seen any teams that carry priority, and Aqua Jet and Ice Shard are the rarest of them. I suppose that if I encounter a pokemon with priority, I'll just target it the most. It might take out one of my pokemon before I KO it, but since teams rarely carry more than one, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
I just realized that what makes people take this gimmick seriously is that it's in Triples. Everyone uses gimmicks in Triples, although the gimmicks are usually more subtle, like Discharge + Lightningrod.

Anyway, to answer some of the criticism:

@ Azulart: For all intents and purposes, this team is for PO, where Sky Drop is neither banned on the PO server nor on the Smogon server. Only in Wi-fi or link battles is Sky Drop not allowed, and that's for a reason that I can't understand. Yes, the team is pretty frail, but it makes up for that in strategy and raw power. And the Clefairy thing works beautifully. Not only does Friend Guard make my team substantially more defensive, but Clefairy has so much strategy on its own. In every battle in which I have used Clefairy, I have been able to give it a +3 or higher boost in both of its defenses. Your point about Trick Room is more valid. While TR does mess up my strategy, I can deal with it pretty easily. If I see a lot of slow pokemon on the opponent's side, I will immediately target the Trick Room-user with Sky Drop to interrupt the strategy, or Taunt it. So it's usually more of a problem for the other team. It's not that hard to completely stop the opponents from using Trick Room while I set up and sweep throughout the match.

@ Dodobird133: I actually haven't seen any teams that carry priority, and Aqua Jet and Ice Shard are the rarest of them. I suppose that if I encounter a pokemon with priority, I'll just target it the most. It might take out one of my pokemon before I KO it, but since teams rarely carry more than one, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Yeah, Triple teams that don't use gimmicks usually don't last that long, or are much harder to pull off. Possibly because Triples itself is seen as a bit of a gimmick by some people.

It's exclusively because of that Sky Drop+Gravity glitch that was mentioned earlier that Sky Drop got banned in Random Matchup. The move was perfectly legal before that glitch was discovered, not that it's so much a glitch as it was an oversight by the game designers. They should have took more time to check how different moves work together, then they could have spotted the problem and fixed it, instead of just banning Sky Drop.

Oh, and while you're right that some priority moves are uncommon, keep an eye out for Fake Out. It makes it real easy to disrupt start up strategies and is thus fairly common in Triples, mostly wielded by Mienshao's and Hitmontop's who can also use Wide Guard. Weaviles use Fake Out a lot too, but you would be more worried about Weavile's Ice attacks anyways.

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Yeah, I guess. Well, at least PO fixed that problem.

I actually have had trouble with Fake Out, but it's less of a problem than you'd think. The whole point of using Sky Drop is to keep the foe (and the Sky Drop user) from acting in that turn. By using Fake Out, the foe is essentially doing that same thing, except that I take meager damage instead of the opponent. Oh well. The Sky-Drop-dealing-damage thing is kind of a neat side effect, anyway. In a way, the foe using Fake Out is fulfilling my purpose. That is, unless they use Fake Out on a non-Sky Drop-user. Then it's a problem.

Silvershark

HAWLUCHA!!!
That's what's so great about Sky Drop in Triples, it's practically a multi-use Fake Out. You lose priority, but at least your Sky Dropper doesn't have to worry about getting hit by another foe the turn it's used.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
That's what's so great about Sky Drop in Triples, it's practically a multi-use Fake Out. You lose priority, but at least your Sky Dropper doesn't have to worry about getting hit by another foe the turn it's used.

Right. And already I've thought of other gimmicky uses for Sky Drop. For instance, in doubles, Scarf Pelipper and Slaking make a killer combination. Pelipper takes Slaking into the sky to protect it, and puts it down (softly; it's a timid Pelipper with 0 attack IVs) just in time for it to release a massive Earthquake, Rock Slide, or Giga Impact.