• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Soul

ChedWick

That's because some humans are cruel and heartless, it's just who they are. Having a soul doesn't automatically make you good, it just makes you a human. Since we're human no matter how bad we are we can always become better people and right our wrongs.

Doesn't mean animals don't have souls.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Yes, I believe in a soul (or spirit, ghost, same thing). We all have one, it's the essence of life. The immortal soul inhabits the physical, mortal body where it can gain experience such as pain, deeper emotions, intellect, and many other things we learn in our lives. When our bodies learn, so do our spirits. When the body suffers, so does the spirit. They are connected and are separated at death.

When we die, our spirit forever contains ourselves, our conscious. Everything we've experienced and learned in our bodies stay with us, such as memories and the knowledge we've gained. And anything that affected the body, such as addictions, linger in the spirit. The want and needs will remain. A person who was a drug addict as a mortal will feel the addiction and withdrawl symptoms and will continue to want it and feel the withdrawl pains after death as a spirit.

My belief in a nutshell (if not all).

ccangelopearl1362

Bingo. If a soul can give an individual life its basic attributes, then it may stand to reason that souls are real. A soul can contain a person’s highest dreams, but it can also contain that person’s deepest nightmares. The soul gives a person the willpower to act according to his or her own conscience, just as the mind gives a person the freedom to expand his or her intellect. At the same time, a soul might feel a certain connection with a different soul, creating a bond between the persons involved that some might not have expected. Taken together, these observations can result in an argument that souls really do exist, an argument I am certainly willing to accept.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
I think a soul is what seperates people from animals, and, along with the brain, what gives us our feelings and enables us to have more complicated emotions then other creatures.

I believe that some, but not all, animals have souls. Chimpanzees, bonobos, gorillas, orangutans, elephants, bottlenose dolphins and European magpies all get my vote as animals with souls, as they're the only creatures other than humans that can recognise their own reflections (that we know of).

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I believe that some, but not all, animals have souls. Chimpanzees, bonobos, gorillas, orangutans, elephants, bottlenose dolphins and European magpies all get my vote as animals with souls, as they're the only creatures other than humans that can recognise their own reflections (that we know of).

All animals have souls, it has nothing to do with recognizing reflections. How can you believe animals that don't possess certain abilities humans have don't have souls? If they're alive, breathing, moving, and have personalities of their own, they have a soul. If you have a pet, pay attention to him or her, and tell me if he or she doesn't possess any kind of personality and/or will. And especially look into their eyes. You'll find your answer in the eyes.

pokemaster001

And especially look into their eyes. You'll find your answer in the eyes.
quite true, sometimes I ask my family "what do our dog's eyes say" and my brother's like "they say YOUR FACE!" and my dad's like "I don't believe in reading eyes" and I forget what my mom says
but the eyes can talk even if dogs cant, so can the tails

Firebrand

Indomitable
A soul is that which carries all knowledge from past existences. The soul persists even after the body has been destroyed. the soul grants the being life.

yea, you could say i belive in the soul.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
I doubt that. The idea of "soul" existed even before the idea of "heaven". In primitive African religions, the souls of the ancestors were being worshipped.

If we were to adopt the belief that our brains "fake" the impression of the soul, we have to provide a specific evolutionary background in which the brain came to do that. Seeing as someone who believes that he has a soul does not survive better than someone who thinks he doesn't have one (I cound argue the opposite), as that is irrelevant to survival, the belief lacks support...

I think i made myself unclear when i said "heaven" i did mean any kind of afterlife.

As for the concept of the "soul" not being nescessary for survival.

For animals it isn't as much but to humans it is much more important to be able to believe in a soul.
e.g. if primitive tribes didn't believe in a god or spirit that helped them fight then their moral would be lower, its a bit like the placebo effect. If their moral was lower then it makes them that much more likely to die.
Back in the old days religion was enormously important to keep things together. Those who didn't believe in God could be killed for being sacriligious. So it became a evolutionary imperative for people to accept the concept of a soul.

We ourselves had created a society/environment where souls were needed.

Finally, who says that the soul needs to be a survival thing because it doesn't have to be. It could be that the concept of a soul made us more interesting and mateable than those without the concept of a soul. As a result you get off spring of those who believe in a soul.

ElectiCrow

Do The Tevez!
I believe in a soul.

A soul is what separates you from the physical body you have; a soul is your true essence that makes you who you are.

I always wonder "what if I had a different family/person/life etc." I would not look the same physically as I do now if I had been born as someone else, because I would not have the genes I do now. However, my soul would be the same, no matter which "body" I took place of.

I believe "a higher power"/God drops/recycles(?) a soul into a baby at conception, at random, and makes your soul body, while your parents/cells make up your physical body.

I hope that made sense. :D

Tht did make sense my good man and i would have to say that is EXACTLY what i would have said. As i have thought about this a lot, i conclude that is a very sensibile and smart answer. VERY GOOD CHAPS

Mrs. Lovett

Rolling writer
I believe in the soul. It's what defines your personality and makes you who you are. The soul is your self, or your mind. I can't really explain, but here's the example I often use when someone asks me:

Twins, when they are babies, seem the same. They both cry, eat, poop, etc. just like normal babies. As they grow up, even though they are brought up in the same family, they will have varying personalities and behaviors. One may be shy, the other might be bold and outgoing. One may be polite, and the other may have a big mouth. They were raised by the same mother, so she obviously taught them right from wrong in her own way. If your soul didn't define who you were, then both of the twins' personalities would be molded by their parents and those around them.

Same thing with animals. They can't talk, so we have a problem assuming that each one is unique and different. But if you pay close attention, not every dog is the same. Not every cat is the same. And so on.

dracoburn

Lance's protege
i have a feeling im the only one who doesnt believe in souls... other than the shoe kind, that is.

i believe that we are born with a certain I.Q, a certain gender, sexuality and a few other unchangable traits. i think that these, along with environmental conditioning by our peers, parents, situations, etc..., affect and change our personalities, thus creating a "soul".

i do not believe in a higher power. when humans die, the brain releases large sums of the chemical that causes dreams. this creates the illusion of an afterlife.

there go my thoughs. argh i wish i could remember the name of that chemical... if anyone else knows, please post more subject matter on this. i want my argument to be as complete as possible.

The Director

Ancient Trainer
Mrs. Lovett:
The example you give does have an enormous hole in it and that is that twins do not share the exact same environment/experiences to be completely alike and even the smallest difference can change a person so just being twins and being brought up together may imply they will have similar attributes but not exactly the same.
e.g. One twin is put by the window while the mother changes the others nappy. The twin sees the complexity, beauty and novelity of the world outside and desides he wants to experience it (quite probably subconciously). Ten years later one twin is out doing things with his friends while the other stays at home like a mothers boy.
Its called the Butterfly Effect, a small action can have enormous repurcussions.

dracoburn:
If their is an afterlife for souls only shoes will be there.
Seriously though I agree with your point of view. To me "soul" is just something I use instead of saying character all the time.
Humans do seem to be a bit of a delusional species. Thinking we are so important.

Dean

Wonder of Thunder!
I believe in Souls. I have my own idea on them.

There are two things in humans, a body and a soul. A soul is too weak to travel on its own and a body cannot move with something (soul) commanding it. The soul stores itself in the brain, allowing the body to move and the soul to travel.

I know, it's weird.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I simply don't know and I'm not willing to make a guess.

As I can attest, when I'm over-stressed I get a headache - that's in my brain. When my heart breaks, there's a hollow feeling in my chest. That's due to chemicals and bloodflow. One time when I was at a doctor's appointment, and I bent my back the wrong way, I blacked out, and when I came to, the world was spinning, I had no recollection of how I got there, where I was, major details of who I was, and it took me ten minutes to remember the calendar, the date, and that I had come to the doctor's.

I think that identity comes from the brain, because problems with the brain can cause amnesia, derealization. Emotions come from chemicals, because they've been manipulated before. Compassion likely comes from our status as mammals. So if there is a soul, you'd be hard-pressed to describe what it does and what it is. I can only think of it as the missing puzzle piece that makes us different from living meat.

But then again, many people would say that's all we are anyway.

zombieinmyfridge

They exist.
I'm in agreement with a couple of people here, but don't feel like quoting them.

I believe that as the brain receives information from the constant surrounding environments (from fetal development until death), a concrete personality is formed over time. This viewpoint takes the "nurture" side of the nature vs nurture debate. All newborn babies act in the same way, and as time passes, each one becomes completely different.

I believe that the soul is just a human's personality, only exists within his or her brain, and dies with the human.

[Name] the [Occupation]

Pokemans Trainer
A soul, or what most people call it, is really our personality and our thinking. No matter how complex our thoughts may be and no matter how intense our emotions may be, they're still chemical reactions in your skull. I believe in that soul, our minds and thoughts. I don't, however, believe a metaphysical entity that lives on after death.

Crobat_Trainer

*insert user title*
argh i wish i could remember the name of that chemical... if anyone else knows, please post more subject matter on this. i want my argument to be as complete as possible.

I believe you're thinking of dimethyltryptamine (DMT), produced in the pineal gland? It's also found in the roots of Mimosa hostilis? I think that's it.

And for the most part I agree with this guy. The brain is an incredibly complex organ, one which is even today not fully understood. It seems presumptuous to suggest that just because there are some things (such as self-awareness) that seem difficult to explain within a physical body that there must be some immaterial extension of the human person. Admittedly, one can't automatically rule out the possibility for the same reason. But I think in this case the application of Occam's Razor has merit. It seems simpler that the brain, a physical complex, contains everything that one might ascribe to a "soul." That is what I think.

striker

I AM THAT IS
Sure the soul is real, its what makes us all individuals. I believe without the soul we would all lack emotions and feelings and thus eventually be drones.

Soul is neither tangibal nor an actual thing but it does exist by may go by other names such as a "heart" in the context of whether you care
(You see a dead dog and you can do 1 of 3 things:
1. Laugh
2. Cry and feel sorry for it
3. Poke it with a stick)

Not one of those reactions are necessarily "heartless" but your soul would determine which act you would partake in.