• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Space Program, a Waste of Time?

We've all likely seen that footage of the space walks like Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking (or skipping, if it is more accurate) on the moon. Some say that this was all fake and man never did walk on the moon in reality, but what I want to know is why they even wanted to. What real tangible benefit could have come from that? Yes they brought back rocks to find out what is different about rocks on the moon compared to the ones on Earth, but other than that knowlege I don't see anything we got out of the whole thing. How is that knowlege even useful, anyway? Are we already planning to colonize the moon? And if so, what's wrong with Earth that they aren't telling us? What do you think?

pocketmunster

munster in my pocket
Going into space is a part of the next step in human evolution. Humans should always expand into new directions even if to some that cant see where it will lead label it as a waste of time.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
... Um, it's just probably the most important research being done at the moment. You know, advancing humanity as a whole, expanding into the universe, answering the big questions, stuff like that.

Probably the first huge benefit we'll see come out of the space is being able to extract resources from the moon, asteroids, etc. Also, in the distant future we'll need to be able to colonize space. That might just sound like absurd science fiction to you, but there is no place else to go once we've used up Earth.

What we got out of the trip to the moon was just the accomplishment of being the first species from our planet to actually touch down on someplace other than Earth (not to mention demonstrating our technological superiority over the Soviets). And sure, I think we will eventually colonize the moon.

ImJessieTR

I WON'T kiss Ash...
I think it's a waste of time for NASA to do it. Let's let the military take back its part of the whole scheme and let private companies ... who aren't so quick to blow millions or billions ... do the whole scientific/entertainment part.

BigLutz

Banned
So many of the things we now use in every day life now traces its origins back to Space Travel. With out the Space Program we wouldn't have GPS, or the current Satellite Communications Network. Meaning we most likely wouldn't have Satellite TV, or possibly even the Internet you are using to make this topic. Medical Technology such as CAT and MRI trace their origins back to space travel.

We cannot gage or even imagine what will come from Space Travel in the coming years. Especially if we continue on the path started by Former President Bush in heading to the Moon, and then to Mars in the coming decades.

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
... Um, it's just probably the most important research being done at the moment. You know, advancing humanity as a whole, expanding into the universe, answering the big questions, stuff like that.

Probably the first huge benefit we'll see come out of the space is being able to extract resources from the moon, asteroids, etc. Also, in the distant future we'll need to be able to colonize space. That might just sound like absurd science fiction to you, but there is no place else to go once we've used up Earth.

What we got out of the trip to the moon was just the accomplishment of being the first species from our planet to actually touch down on someplace other than Earth (not to mention demonstrating our technological superiority over the Soviets). And sure, I think we will eventually colonize the moon.

honestly there isnt much research you can do, rock sampling, looking for water, and looking for oxygen thats only 3 things. and i mean sure it would be cool living on another planet, but im cool on earth.

ImJessieTR

I WON'T kiss Ash...
BigLutz said:
So many of the things we now use in every day life now traces its origins back to Space Travel. With out the Space Program we wouldn't have GPS, or the current Satellite Communications Network. Meaning we most likely wouldn't have Satellite TV, or possibly even the Internet you are using to make this topic. Medical Technology such as CAT and MRI trace their origins back to space travel.

We cannot gage or even imagine what will come from Space Travel in the coming years. Especially if we continue on the path started by Former President Bush in heading to the Moon, and then to Mars in the coming decades.

I understand satellite-based tech needs a space program. However, things like medical technology didn't originate in space. We built them on Earth. We built lots of things on Earth. The space program may have provided inspiration ... but then again, so did Star Trek, if you listen to scientist interviews. The tricorder did as much for MRIs as the real space program did. Since sci-fi is a major source of inspiration, I say it's cheaper for our country to just use sci-fi to inspire things, not spend millions or billions to float around to see if a seed will sprout in a vacuum. We can make vacuums here on Earth. Watching roaches mate in zero-gravity doesn't quite convince me that NASA is going to advance our civilization much.

I'm all for space exploration and knowledge-gathering. But I do feel NASA dropped the ball, like many gov't programs. Other countries have more pressing issues besides touring the moon -- only our country seems to have more apparent free time.

Robster

Cascade Trainer
honestly there isnt much research you can do, rock sampling, looking for water, and looking for oxygen thats only 3 things. and i mean sure it would be cool living on another planet, but im cool on earth.

The three things you've given there seem like pretty good reasons to explore beyond the Earth in themselves. Aside from the fact that it would be 'cool' to live on another planet, it may be a necessity one day. Quite apart from that, it seems quite unimaginative and dull to sit on Earth as long as we are able to explore beyond it. And one final point: I can't be bothered to look it up, but next to welfare, education, healthcare, justice, defence etc., I very much doubt that any space programme is a worthwhile percentage of its government's expenditure. And even if it were, I'd say it's money well spent.

Rai Rai

The Playful Ancient
The fact is. At some point, this Earth is either not going to be sutible for human life or be gone completely. Period. It is not a question of if, it is a question of when. If we want to preserve humanity, then space exploration is absolutely essential. Space research is one of, if not the most important research being done today. (In my opinion.) And too imply it is a simple waste of time is somewhat ignorant. (No offense.)

squirrel boy

A.K.A. myrandomness
The three things you've given there seem like pretty good reasons to explore beyond the Earth in themselves. Aside from the fact that it would be 'cool' to live on another planet, it may be a necessity one day. Quite apart from that, it seems quite unimaginative and dull to sit on Earth as long as we are able to explore beyond it. And one final point: I can't be bothered to look it up, but next to welfare, education, healthcare, justice, defence etc., I very much doubt that any space programme is a worthwhile percentage of its government's expenditure. And even if it were, I'd say it's money well spent.

again it would be cool if we-humans- could do it. we probably will be able to within the next 30-40 years. but even then ill stay on earth/ i was born an earthling and by God ill die an earthling.

VenomPhoenix

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm-bop
I think it's a waste of time for NASA to do it. Let's let the military take back its part of the whole scheme and let private companies ... who aren't so quick to blow millions or billions ... do the whole scientific/entertainment part.

america spends 700 billion dollars per year on their military.

imagine what that money could do if invested somewhere other than figuring out how to kill people.

Competitive5910

Codename:ArseusEater
We've all likely seen that footage of the space walks like Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walking (or skipping, if it is more accurate) on the moon. Some say that this was all fake and man never did walk on the moon in reality, but what I want to know is why they even wanted to. What real tangible benefit could have come from that? Yes they brought back rocks to find out what is different about rocks on the moon compared to the ones on Earth, but other than that knowlege I don't see anything we got out of the whole thing. How is that knowlege even useful, anyway? Are we already planning to colonize the moon? And if so, what's wrong with Earth that they aren't telling us? What do you think?

There are two ways we could do it.
After thinking about it, i've decided that the space program should have enough money to do some things, but not too many things. Efficiency shoudl be increased too. 1 billion projects are turning into 3 billion, 4, 5 billion projects.

WE could either:

Use our money to make the world a cleaner, better place

OR

Put money into space to find a new world/colonization.

Colonization must happen, but most of the money should be spent restoring the earth so that we all can WORK together and colonize the mighty space.

I would like an opposing argument, its fun to debate

america spends 700 billion dollars per year on their military.

imagine what that money could do if invested somewhere other than figuring out how to kill people.

We need world peace. We don't need crappy dictators who won't remember the skills of sharing and love they learned in kindergarten. We need to lead a global effort, not just a "correct the world" by big hegemon america. That way the 700 million could be used in space travel, or weapons systems for fighting aliens (Halo ftw)

Dragon of miracle

Meh... I don't care
No. The purpose of those program is to find a new place to stay, when the world population goes wild and when the Earth explode.

Akarin

Sgt. Fgt.
No. The purpose of those program is to find a new place to stay, when the world population goes wild and when the Earth explode.

People act like it's their duty to allow the earth's population to run wild. Why don't people give incentives to not pop out 8 kids?

natopotato22

Cellar Door
I think it is not a waste because I have a feeling that we're going to discover something one day.
Sure they should be saving money for other things too and make this more like a person's hobby that they do when they have free time.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
ya. We need the space program.

We need to get to Mars!!!!! :p

Who knows, there maybe life outside in the next solar system if we look.

Erienne

Anime high :D
LOLOL. You believe in extraterrestrial life?
Anyway, space is the final frontier; we need somewhere else to go when the Earth is all ash. Smart species expand to other places to ensure their survival. I'm sure that we'll find like somewhere out there, and it'll look down at us.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
LOLOL. You believe in extraterrestrial life?
Anyway, space is the final frontier; we need somewhere else to go when the Earth is all ash. Smart species expand to other places to ensure their survival. I'm sure that we'll find like somewhere out there, and it'll look down at us.

no i don't.

But accually, i do.

There has to be SOMETHING else out there.....