• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Spell of the Unown! (M03)

xEryChan

Demon Child
I gotta admit, this movie is definitely one of my favorite Pokemon movies. Instead of the regular, “Ash befriends a legendary Pokemon and saved the world,” plot, they went a different route and it really paid off.

I felt so bad for Molly. It is clear to see that she was grieving over the loss of her parents and actually believed that Entei was her father. My heart broke for her as I watched the movie. I also loved the fact that Ash was hunting down Entei after it abducted his mother. He isn’t anything special in this movie, he’s pissed and rightfully so. It’s personal for him this time and I really loved that. Plus, it was an interesting idea that Ash already knew Molly prior to the movie.

I have to give this a solid 10 out of 10. Everything about this movie was done perfectly and I can’t think of any other ways to make it better.

Daizy

I call you honey
When we saw Molly's dad come back from the Unown dimension, I wondered why that scene was moved to the main movie because I know that that scene was originally only in the end credits.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Daizy said:
When we saw Molly's dad come back from the Unown dimension, I wondered why that scene was moved to the main movie because I know that that scene was originally only in the end credits.

Apparently the scene was switched so that the viewers of the dubbed version would learn his fate in the main feature film as opposed to the ending credits, which most viewers tend to skip.

You can't say that Entei's the villain because he only obeyed the commands of Molly, and only wanted to make her happy. She was just a very lonely little girl who wanted a family and to be happy and the Unown gave it to her, based on her memories. Team Rocket once again came through with some great lines. The crew trying to find Ash's mom in that mansion was great, with Brock and Misty both competing in Poke fights to give Ash time.

Leonhart

Imagineer
FullmetalJackie said:
You can't say that Entei's the villain because he only obeyed the commands of Molly, and only wanted to make her happy. She was just a very lonely little girl who wanted a family and to be happy and the Unown gave it to her, based on her memories.

Since Entei wasn't even real anyway, I can see why his actions here are absolved by most fans, although since Mii was a child, I can't call her a villain either since she wasn't malicious or evil.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Since Entei wasn't even real anyway, I can see why his actions here are absolved by most fans, although since Mii was a child, I can't call her a villain either since she wasn't malicious or evil.

The best term for her would be antagonist.

I wish more movies had antagonists like Molly. We usually just get jerk human villain with a powerful ship-thing or an angry screaming Legendary. It's kind of boring, really.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Decided to rewatch it, and after all these years this movie is still such a treat. Definitely my favorite Pokémon movie.

Molly was a great movie character and although she was meant to be the “villain” in a way, I couldn’t help but feel bad for her and I love how much Ash and group want to protect and save her.

The battle between Charizard and Entei was great. But when Charizard and Pikachu got knocked back by Entei and Ash was only worried about Pikachu, I couldn’t help but think what about Charizard you @ss? :p

Also enjoyed TR’s role in this movie. Their references to being in a movie was funny.

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
Charizard vs Entei was amazing but it made me laugh to think that Ash's reunion with Charizard just didn't feel that touching since they hadn't been apart from each other long enough for the reunion to mean anything special. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
BTS_fan said:
Charizard vs Entei was amazing but it made me laugh to think that Ash's reunion with Charizard just didn't feel that touching since they hadn't been apart from each other long enough for the reunion to mean anything special. :p

It did seem a little odd to me that the writers had Lizardon leave Satoshi's team in early Jouto despite them presumably knowing that Satoshi would need Lizardon again soon afterwards in this movie. It seemed like they should've waited before getting rid of Lizardon.

Jnmisty

The real emotion coming from Ash when he couldn’t save his mom from being taken away really hit him hard. Plus this is the first time we got to see Brock pulling Ash back in a way.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jnmisty said:
The real emotion coming from Ash when he couldn’t save his mom from being taken away really hit him hard. Plus this is the first time we got to see Brock pulling Ash back in a way.

Takeshi stopping Satoshi from going after his mother at the beginning of the movie made sense since he was worried about Satoshi getting hurt, but if I had been him I wouldn't have stopped Satoshi regardless of how dangerous Entei's lair was. Had I been Satoshi, I would've tried to save Hanako the same way without thinking about the consequences.

Jnmisty

Ash always jumps into action without any hesitation. Although, from the time line of the Johto series, Ash must have gotten hurt between when he caught Noctowl before the events taking place in Greenfield.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jnmisty said:
Ash must have gotten hurt between when he caught Noctowl before the events taking place in Greenfield.

Which reminds me, which Jouto episodes did this movie take place between? I'm not even sure where the village featured in this movie is supposed to be exactly, although I assume it's somewhere past Kikyou City.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jnmisty said:
After Fowl Play but before the Goldenrod City Gym battles

Thanks. That timeline does seem to fit, and I just saw on the official anime map that Greenfield is indeed somewhere south of Kogane City.

Jnmisty

Although, it made me curious what if Brock didn’t catch up to Ash in time to stop him, and Ash was hanging on to Entei’s tail.

Excellent movie and this has to be my favorite so far. Molly is such an interesting character and it makes sense that she wanted parents since hers disappeared. I would have liked Ash to say something along the lines that he sympathizes with Molly because of his own father disappearing. I really felt bad for Molly. All the Unown did was act as legendary Pokémon and be a barrier, which they aren’t legendaries. This movie had a happy ending with Molly getting her parents back, and Charizard came back for a little while too. There were also funny Team Rocket moments such as when Meowth said “Are we going to get a bigger role in the next movie?” They didn’t really explain that Ash and Molly knew each other before and it’s weird that Molly didn’t really seem to age. Also Molly looks just like Serena and Serena was Ash’s childhood friend, coincidence?

10/10

Movie Rankings:
1. M03
2. M01
3. M012
4. M011
5. M010

I think Lucario and the Mystery of Mew is definitely going to take the #1 spot on this list.

BobbbidyBob

First time watching it, and boy I was not prepared for this! What a roller coaster of a movie and seeing Ash so serious and distressed ..wow. Best Pokémon movie by far. Also a story about a monster and a little girl...my favorite type of story. I like Entei’s Japanese voice better than Dan Green. I cried at various scenes too

Oh and Ash rejects a battle in this
Let that sink in
That’s how serious it got

Last edited:

beanDude

Reviewer
The friendly battle at the beginning of the movie during the opening credits is one of my favorite parts of the whole movie, actually. It's not too often battles are shown that are more for fun and less competitive. The way the Trainers and especially the Pokemon interact with the environment such as the swings and playset lends to some really entertaining animation. The Pokemon look like they're having fun too.