• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Spell of the Unown! (M03)

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
The problem is, we don't see it anymore. It's part of what made the writing in Kanto so great. Sure Pokemon handling was a different topic, but now we're not getting any dark topics anymore.

What they describe as scary nowadays is the freaking Rotom-episode.. Well, granted, the Litwick-episode was nifty.. -.-

Surprising any DP fan would bring up the Rotom episode since that was more comedy. As a DP fan myself when i think of dark episodes, i I think of the school arc with a little girl spirit that tried to lead Conway off a cliff and suck Ash and Angie into the spirit world and even started having an odd evil way of speaking before she got stopped (before that she was speaking similarly to Sabrina's doll. What I mean is seeming innocent for most of the episode and then before getting stopped the voice distorts and sounds pretty evil sounding in the english evrsion anyway) which suggested she was either an evil spirit or demon. It was pretty clear cut that she wasn't from that world.

One of my favourite DP episodes as a result.

The 3rd movie was pretty good but it never really creeped me out maybe because I was a teen when i watched it and wasn't a young child anymore. I tend to like Charizard and Entei battle personally and getting some of Ash's background highlighted. Personally the movie always came off as dreamlike to me and the closest episodes I can think of to that is the episode where Larvitar's mind becomes connected to the unown and Ash and friends get transported in.

Last edited:

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
If there was an impact, it would be because Kasumi said she was a Gym Leader. And to be honest, you're the only who started it. Just saying.....

*shrugs* all plausible ideas.
( it just hit me "i am online discussing the reasoning of a little girl on a kids TV show." And it struck me as funny, thats all.)

Kabuto

little punks!
Yes, the last of the great movies. Once Pokemon 4ever came they just lost their.......creamy goodness?! Destiny Deoxys came close but there is nothing like the originals. I liked everything about this movie but especially the action and the tower. I also liked the role Entei played and seeing Charizard return for the 1st time was a nice treat.

Responding to this almost 8 years later is wild.... I was inspired to watch this film after seeing Charizard return in Best Wishes. But yeah, I really did like this movie a lot, I think it's still my favorite from the series. It has a more in depth story than the first two movies for sure, and it stands on it's own feet without necessarily depending on being a "Pokemon" movie. Granted I more or less stopped watching the Pokemon movies after the 8th one, so I can't say that for sure but....yeah. I grew up with the English OST of the movie as well, so I really enjoy the score for that (unlike most English Pokemon scores), though Shinji Miyazaki's score is beautiful as always, and I'm glad some of these tracks recur sometimes throughout the series.

Best Pokémon film by far. No questions asked, IMO.

NPT

Just a member
This movie was fantastic. It's cool how Ash was determined to save his mother. The animation was well-done and much better than the previous movie's animation. One of the best thing about this movie was Ash/Brock/Misty teamwork, which was lacking in the other OS movies.

Molly was a intersting character, who was sad because of the loss of her parents. Entei was a like a father to her and seemed to care a lot about her.I liked how Molly Changed to an adult when she battled Brock, and later changed to Misty's age before challenging him. Misty and Brock couldn't beat Molly, but at least they helped Ash in a way.

Charizard's appearance was awesome, I liked how he saved Ash from the fall. Charizard and Entei's battle was epic, too bad neither of them won the battle.

My only complaint about this movie is the background music. didn't like 4kids replacing the original music, they should've left the japanese BGM alone. :(

Last edited:

TheMewster

Pokémon Connoisseur
Definitely my personal favorite Pokémon movie!
This deserves to be canon!

Still my favorite Pokemon film: I mean, come on, everyone felt like they had a purpose in this one, Molly was just a little girl who wanted her dad back, and Ash would do anything to save his Mother from the Unown and Entei. Seeing TR help the twerps out was also surprisingly touching, and "We won't let you fall!" = T_T.

James had some funny stuff in the dub version I couldn't help but chuckle at: "I haven't seen this many strange letters since the last time I placed that personal ad!" = ROFL.

I don't know why, but this one always resonates with me the strongest and I think it's a true testament to how great the films used to be from the Pokemon Franchise. I don't think anything that has come before or after this film can truly surpass it in quality: I really think it is that good, tbh.

Freedom

Pokeman
Charizard and Entei's battle was epic, too bad neither of them won the battle.
(
Pretty sure that Entei won the battle and was ready to kill Charizard until Molly asked him to stop.

Just rewatched this movies after years of not seeing it and I still love it! The 4Kids dub was of such high quality compared to Pokemon USA. The score to this movie is so memorable and magical. The whole movie moved at a good pace, unlike the recent ones which leaves me bored at a lot of parts. The storyline with Entei and Molly is so touching. I missed Team Rocket being the good guys once in a while, it gave them more depth than just being goofball villains. This is probably my all time favourite Pokemon film (the others are Pokemon Heroes and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew).

JudySpell

Banned
Entei being voiced by Dan Green was a wise dubbing choice since his voice always sounds majestic. I felt so sorry for Molly's situation since her parents were gone. 8/10

Musashi~

Fiery Destroyer! <3
I liked to see Entei and Molly having some memorable personality.Team Rocket being the good guys was nice.The animation and music was good was well..This movie was better than the previous two imo.

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
The movie was fine but I prefer the real Entei to be in it. Unown are a lot stronger than they should be which kind of bugs me. Plot was ok and Charizard taking on Entei was good. 8/10 for me.

phanpycross

God-king
Without overdoing it, this movie is the single best thing to come out of the anime, and possibly the franchise in general overdoing it slightly, maybe

The best battles, a very mature plot, ACTUAL PERSONAL STAKES, godlike animation, and on-point continuity.

Seriously, the 6v6 at the beginning of the movie is just how every battle should be done: fast paced, fun, and with genius use of the enviroment.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This third Pokemon movie is another favorite of mine. It was more original and adventurous than the previous two, and had more emotional scenes along with some really good battles. I particularly enjoyed Kasumi and Mii's underwater battle. It was also easy to sympathize with Mii, even though I still wanted her to be stopped. Entei also rocked even though he wasn't a real one, just a fake made by the Unknown.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Ash's mom being involved here was interesting and I felt so sad for Molly when her dad went missing. The mansion looked amazing with the crystals and seeing Misty and Brock battle Molly was great. Charizard vs Entei was the highlight for me. :D

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ash's mom being involved here was interesting and I felt so sad for Molly when her dad went missing.

Too bad Hanako mainly served as a damsel in distress. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she was here, it's just that she felt redundant in the grand scheme of things.

UmbrionKnight

I liked this movie a lot. It had an awesome story to it and the battle with Misty and Molly underwater was wicked cool.

Yeah, this movie made me cry. It is such a good movie. I think that Entei was real, in a sense. All the dreams and memories of her father came back to life. It showed that even though he was gone, the memories and love never left her. At the end, when Entei was going to help her out of there, it really hit home. Such a beautiful movie.

At the end, when Entei was shouting to believe in him, I think it had much more of a meaning that what was just being said. It may have not technically been her father, but I believe it was voiced by the same person for a reason. It was the manifestation of the love her father and her shared.

Entei saying "Just keep me close in your dreams" followed by Molly saying "Papa" shows all of that. Her father was able to reach her because of his love, even if he passed on. Who knows? Maybe Entei was actually her father, and the Unknown reincarnated him... Also, if Enti wasn't the reincarnation of her father, why was it able to stand up to the unknown so easily, if the Unknown were the ones that created it? They started to control everything else in the world, so it doesn't make sense that they couldn't control him too. Either way, the meaning of the whole movie truly touches my heart. That is why this movie is so amazing. Sorry for getting so sappy, everyone.

Last edited:

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Entei being Molly's puppet made me think less of him because he existed only to fulfill her wishes. I wish this Entei had been a real one, not some Unown spawn.