• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The SPPf Book Club (NO it is NOT for nerds and girls)

Favorite Book/Series?

• The Hunger Games(my personal favorite)

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Harry Potter

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Percy Jackson

Votes: 22 40.0%
  • Cirque De Freak

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • The Clique

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Babysitters Club

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Warriors/Seekers

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Big Nate

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Misc.

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackacer

~Artist~

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
Accelerated Reader is a stupid system in public schools where certain books cost a certain amount of points. After reading said books, you are required to take a brief test on the book on the computer, and based on how many questions you answer correctly, you'll get AR points. The points get you nothing. It's just a method of trying to force people to read books that they don't want to read. When I was in school, all the books I read were adult level books that were worth nothing, so I averaged zero points, and I got in trouble for it. All the AR books were quite like the selection from a summer reading program or course reading: agonizingly dull and suicide-inducingly depressing.

To sign up and join:

Username: Loreni333

Favorite Book/Series: Oh... Either:
1) Douglas Adam's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series
2) Terry Prachett's Discworld 'Watch' series...

Why you want to join: Mostly to have some fun discussing some of my beloved authors, mostly being Douglas Adams and Terry Prachett. And I'm A nerd. It's turtles all the way down!

Welcome! Start joining our discussions!

Accelerated Reader is a stupid system in public schools where certain books cost a certain amount of points. After reading said books, you are required to take a brief test on the book on the computer, and based on how many questions you answer correctly, you'll get AR points. The points get you nothing. It's just a method of trying to force people to read books that they don't want to read. When I was in school, all the books I read were adult level books that were worth nothing, so I averaged zero points, and I got in trouble for it. All the AR books were quite like the selection from a summer reading program or course reading: agonizingly dull and suicide-inducingly depressing.

Yeah, AR is something really stupid. For us, every semester our LA teacher assigns a certain amount of AR(or accelarated reader) points for us to achieve throughout the marking period. You basically have to read books and depending on how long, thick, or hard the book is, is how they decide the points, right now im reading Mockingjay By Suzanne Collins, and it is worth 15 AR points, so when l finish, l go to our school library, take the comprehension test, and than recieve how ever many points l get.

Blackacer

~Artist~
Lol i thought it was Accelerated Reading
since my country dont have this weird system

Blackacer

~Artist~
Singapore.
Its sad since no snow and stuff just one hot freaking daily...

~SilverLugia~

Use Razor Shell!
I'm glad I don't have the AR system, either...
That would suck.

~meep

There is a school in the town about 5 minutes from me, they only have to read 3 books a marking period, no limit, just 3 books, alot of kids read barney books :p

~SilverLugia~

Use Razor Shell!
^ lol

~meep

Valkyrie Cain

damn, dis-moi
Username: Fizzay
Favorite Book/Series: The Skulduggery Pleasant series
Why you want to join: I want to find some good books to read and to discuss books.

Assassin9399

Wanna hug?
Username: Assassin9399
Favorite Book/Series: I think I'll go for Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, but I like Percy Jackson and Eragon as well.
Why you want to join: I like reading, and most people I know don't like reading fantasy books or books at all, so I want to talk about it with other people.

We don't have an AR system, we need to read books for German, Dutch and English (and perhaps French, but I don't have that :S). All are worth points, and we can choose which books we want to read. We read 3 books every year for three years long, make a summary, give that to the teacher to get his approval. After that we have to talk with the teacher about 3 of the 9 books. We can read most books, as long as they aren't Children books (and HP and Twillight). This means however that most people just read the books in dutch or they just copy and change the summary's they find on the internet. I'm still waiting for their turn, and they will fail cause they didn't read the books at all 8D. This is only for english though.

With dutch, we need to read books from the renaissance and such... BORING

I'm still trying to read Terry Pratchet, but it's to hard in english for me, I don't get the humor, so I'm going to try it in dutch. Is game of thrones good?

Loreni333

Taking Over Serebii
^What books are you reading from him? Some early books arn't as good as others. And most of the humor is refrences, but he made it so if you don't get it thier isn't an awkward part of the book, it just slides nicely. And alot of jokes. And Carrot.

If I were you Assassian, try starting on 'Guards! Guards!' which is definetly A great book. I started on it, and even though it's A bit weak on the ending, the joke A big miss, everything else is great. But not as good as the sequels... :3

Never read Game of Thrones...

MuffinPaula

。Haru~Desu。
I don't think there's going to be a continuation to the Percy Jackson movie. Saw it, didn't like it that much. Poor Hades

If they're making a 2nd movie, they may make a 3rd. They're are people in this world who spend money on movies they don't know what's a rip-off or what's a good movie .-. I'd be surprise if they made a 3rd movie. The more sequels they make the more crappier the movies get..

I LOVED the red pyramid, probably one fot the best books l ever read, its a hoot and a holler!
I read almost half the book already. LOVED IT. but reading WFE first..

Username: Fizzay
Favorite Book/Series: The Skulduggery Pleasant series
Why you want to join: I want to find some good books to read and to discuss books.

Well, you have some nerve trying to join after doing what you tried to pull earlier, but if you can behave, you may enter the club.

Username: Assassin9399
Favorite Book/Series: I think I'll go for Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, but I like Percy Jackson and Eragon as well.
Why you want to join: I like reading, and most people I know don't like reading fantasy books or books at all, so I want to talk about it with other people.

We don't have an AR system, we need to read books for German, Dutch and English (and perhaps French, but I don't have that :S). All are worth points, and we can choose which books we want to read. We read 3 books every year for three years long, make a summary, give that to the teacher to get his approval. After that we have to talk with the teacher about 3 of the 9 books. We can read most books, as long as they aren't Children books (and HP and Twillight). This means however that most people just read the books in dutch or they just copy and change the summary's they find on the internet. I'm still waiting for their turn, and they will fail cause they didn't read the books at all 8D. This is only for english though.

With dutch, we need to read books from the renaissance and such... BORING

I'm still trying to read Terry Pratchet, but it's to hard in english for me, I don't get the humor, so I'm going to try it in dutch. Is game of thrones good?

Welcome ^_^ and cool, maybe you can learn english from some of the books we are discussing!

Wyrm

~Setting Sail~
At my old school, we did AR. Of course, almost everything in the library was an AR book, so I didn't need to worry(thank goodness).

The system itself is pretty idiotic, but they apparently had no other way to give us reading grades(besides for our story-for-the-week tests, which were horrible with mediocrity). I suppose we can't entirely blame them for using that system. I mean, what would WE do in their position?

Valkyrie Cain

damn, dis-moi
Well, you have some nerve trying to join after doing what you tried to pull earlier, but if you can behave, you may enter the club.

What did I do?

Anyway....
I've never heard of AR. So I'm guess I'm lucky we don't have AR here in Ireland.

So has anyone read the Skulduggery pleasant books? ^_^

Valkyrie Cain

damn, dis-moi
Does the "removing me from the friends list because im your FRIEND" thing ring a bell, l noticed.

WTF? I didn't delete you I deleted people I never talked to.
If I did I'm sorry....I don't remember deleting you though. =/

Back on topic:
What's the most fascinating/ exciting book/ novel you've ever read?

Status
Not open for further replies.