1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Star Wars Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by KantoPkmnMaster, Apr 29, 2014.

?

Poll Question #1: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Poll closed May 15, 2014.
  1. The Phantom Menace

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Attack of the Clones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. A New Hope

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  6. Return of the Jedi

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Update 6/3/14:
    -Thread name changed from Star Wars Episode VII Thread to "The Star Wars Thread" in light of the limited scope of discussing one movie.
    -This thread is open to all manner of discussion pertaining to the cultural phenomenon that is Star Wars. Do you love the prequels or do you think they're one of George Lucas' biggest mistakes? Do you want to discuss whether or not Han shot first in Episode IV: A New Hope? Do you have a love/disdain for the extended universe and spin-offs? All of these questions can be found and discussed within this thread. Whether it is the original, prequel or upcoming trilogy, the extended universe, video games, products, etc., anything Star Wars is fair game in this thread.
    -All Serebii rules apply here, same as every other thread on this website. Be courteous to others and try to be civil in the event a disagreement arises.

Been mulling over when to start this thread, and with the announcement of the cast, i think that's the perfect cue!

The cast as confirmed by Starwars.com:
    http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

This thread is here for people to discuss and speculate all aspects of the film and give their thoughts on it.

Really excited about this movie. A lot of the cast from the old movies are returning, some good additions (Andy Serkis/Gollum) and a great composer (the legendary John Williams).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  2. Mister_SGG

Mister_SGG Well-Known Member

Every thing about this movie says it'll be better than the prequels, and that's a relief.

What they need to get right is a consistent villain throughout the trilogy. The OT had Vader obviously and that went very well, but the prequels kept killing off the villains they introduced (minus Sidious of course but he didn't really make more than a cameo until Episode 3)

3. Miltank+ Dragonite=evil

Miltank+ Dragonite=evil You'll never know!

Nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are they remaking them or adding to it? I'm excited, I'm more anticipated for Mockingjay Part1 and the last Hobbit movie though.

4. Mister_SGG

It's an entirely new trilogy taking place after Episode VI.

5. I'm curious of this as well. There is a rumor that has been circulating that Ian McDiarmid will make another appearance in Episode VII as Emperor Palpatine (most likely a force ghost). If that rumor is true, we could see one of the cast members listed as the next lord of the sith, popular opinion places the next Sith lord as either Oscar Allen, Adam Driver or Max Von Sydow. Von Sydow has a Count Dooku feel to him, so i can realistically see him as the next sith lord. I'm also interested to see whether or not they keep the rule of two in the Sith hierarchy or if it deviates into a rule of 1.

6. Mister_SGG

A potential villain is Darth Maul, because the Clone Wars left a lot of doors open in regards to his post-prequel trilogy fate. He could very well still be alive in Episode VII's time period.

While he was fairly one dimensional in the Phantom Menace, his personality in Clone Wars was very interesting; calculating, intelligent, and ambitious.

7. Is Clone Wars even regarded as canon? Only clone wars series i followed was the first series that ended with the intro of Grievous.

8. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

Very disappointed to hear that Star Wars has officially declared that the entire EU that was fleshed out by comics, games, and novels are all basically under a "Legend" category and everything from here on out is going to be canon. Obviously, some of the post Return of the Jedi stuff, like the New Sith Order and Vong stuff were unnecessary and made the events of the movie seem less purposeful.

That being said, I really hope Abrams and whomever is making this movie do take the good qualities from the EU, such as the famous and fantastic Thrawn Trilogy and Luke's creation of a New Jedi Order and Mara Jade Skywalker and make their film. I'm already surprised they're not using the Thrawn Trilogy itself as a skeleton for the new films. I can understand the urge to write something unique, but somebody smart should look at what has already been extensively covered and appreciate the work of all those people who wanted to flesh out the SW universe in those games, books, and comics.

9. Dread Advocate

Dread Advocate †Stay Metal†

Yes, The Clone Wars is still regarded as canon. In a statement made a few days ago, LucasFilm announced that all current material that is set after Return of the Jedi is now non-canon, but the films, Rebels and The Clone Wars are still canon. The post-ROTJ material, as well as all other material that is set before and in-between the films is put under the "Legacy" moniker. What you can take away from it is: 1) they're getting rid of some of the bad stuff, 2) they're doing what Abrams did for Star Trek and creating a multiverse, and 3) this allows for more creative flexibility in future material.

And on the cast announcement: relevant pic

10. Mi-tan

Mi-tan Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding completely pessimistic, I really don't think this is going to happen. I'd very much like to see a trilogy inspired by the EU - while I haven't read too many of its books, I do remember there being some real masterpieces that I would've loved to see on screen, plus there's the whole matter of Han and Leia's children and Luke's New Jedi Order as you mentioned - but if the EU itself has been declared non-canon, then without a doubt we'll get a complete original story, one that might even take pains to bear no resemblance to anything EU. I'm likening this trilogy to the Star Trek reboots, which are unique stories despite there being hundreds of extremely good books, simply because Paramount doesn't consider said books to be canon. Truth be told, I wouldn't particularly mind an original series of stories, but judging by what happened with Star Trek, and given that JJ Abrams is involved in this project, I can't say I'm feeling particularly positive about it all. (Although of course I have no idea how much influence Abrams will have on the films' plots; I just don't really care for his directing style.)

Either way, I'm still looking forward for the first installment to be released, and I'll definitely watch it in theaters. To be honest, I'm more interested after the cast announcement than I initially was (despite my story doubts) because I don't know any of the actors aside from Andy Serkis. Having a new cast without Hollywood's go-to actors seems like a pretty bold move and I hope it hints at awesome things to come :)

11. Yeah, i had heard about the legacy stuff being nixed, but i kind of thought that that was a long time coming when i heard about the announcement. Don't get me wrong, there are some good characters in the extended universe, but i don't think some would do well in a cinematic setting. Although, if i could pick a particular group of characters that i think could work well in a Star Wars movie, i think Darth Krayt would be a great addition. Max Von Sydow looks like Krayt with his armor off (a little). I'm really hoping they do bring back Ian McDiarmid though. Even if it is in spirit form. Emperor Palpatine was one of the best parts about the old movies and probably one of the few good things about the prequel trilogy.

12. Mister_SGG

Personally the only part of the EU I ever took interest in was Boba Fett surviving the Sarlaac. He'd make a great secondary antagonist in the new trilogy.

As someone answered, yes, and I think any true Star Wars fan needs to see it. It's on Netflix, and it fills in so many blanks that the prequels left hanging. It's a great series on its own, and really matured and improved as it aged.

13. Steampunk

Steampunk One Truth Prevails

Dang. It. All.
    Okay, I have some friends who like all the pre-SW1 stuff, but I was always into the post-SW6 EU. I was in love with Luke's Jedi Academy and Darth Caedus. I could totally make them have Darth Caedus be the villain of the new trilogy, but if the EU is now non-canon...

14. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

It isn't really an "if" - all the existing post-RotJ EU stuff has been rendered officially "inert", for lack of a better term, meaning it's been gently moved aside in favor of whatever story they will tell in Episodes VII-IX.

Plus, given who Darth Caedus was, even if they do introduce the necessary characters at the start, you figure Caedus wouldn't factor in until much later.

15. Steampunk

Steampunk One Truth Prevails

True, even if they introduced Jecen and Jaina (Who, apparently are also "inert") Caedus wouldn't come until later.

I know that all of the EU is considered non-canon, but I wonder if whoever writes the story, will at least use the same characters, (Like Jacen, Jaina, Ben Skywalker, Mara Jade etc.) or if they will make something totally different.

16. If they did go with a Caedus-esque plot, i could only see him becoming a sith in the end of Episode VIII and being the principal villain in the final episode.

17. Mister_SGG

That's not a good idea though because it leaves little time for his character to grow on us and become more interesting. I reiterate that they need to establish a constant villain in Episode VII.

18. Dread Advocate

Dread Advocate †Stay Metal†

But that's almost too similar to what happened in the PT; they introduced Maul in TPM and killed him off in TPM (I know he's alive in TCW, but I'm speaking strictly films), Dooku was introduced in AOTC and killed in ROTS, and Grievous was introduced and killed in ROTS. True, Sidious was the main villain through the Prequels (and arguable the entire Saga), but his presence was very behind the scenes until an hour in to ROTS. Lucasfilm needs to have a clear villain set from the start, like how Vader was throughout the OT; someone who has a very clear, very menacing presence from the moment they step on screen.

19. Mister_SGG

Yes exactly what I've been trying to say. Sidious worked in the prequels as a background villain, a phantom menace (don't shoot!). But he barely made any real appearances as Sidious and not Palpatine, so he didn't come off as a constant presence like Vader. Darth Maul sticking around would've been the best bet.

20. Soaring Pikachu

Soaring Pikachu Cool Trainer

In b4 Ahsoka tano miraculously reappears after so many years!

A menacing villain? How about an evil version of Jar Jar binks?