1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Star Wars Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by KantoPkmnMaster, Apr 29, 2014.

?

Poll Question #1: What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

Poll closed May 15, 2014.
  1. The Phantom Menace

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Attack of the Clones

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. A New Hope

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  6. Return of the Jedi

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Yeah, it was definitely not the nicest of ways to turn down a role. And if put in the same position i probably would've taken the role due to the historical significance/importance of Star Wars. Given this news (which is most likely very old and no longer news to the director) i wonder if Wedge will be recast or not included at all. I liked Wedge in the movies given his brief appearances, but i can see him not returning. I don't think anyone with the exception of the die-hard fans will be disappointed.

2. bailey.ga

bailey.ga Well-Known Member

I'm surprised I'm the first person to vote for A New Hope it was literally a 50/50 with Empire though. I am also suprised Revenge of the Sith has votes, while it is the best prequel film (by a mile), it is still pretty bad compared to the original trilogy imo.

KantoPkmnMaster likes this.
  3. Soaring Pikachu

Soaring Pikachu Cool Trainer

That makes sense, a lot of (Wedge's) the characters, exploits disappear with the story not following the Expanded universe. I guess the producers did not want to make any promises that they could not keep in regard to plot direction.

One more thing I would like to see is the next generation of ground transports. First in the prequels they had the little and medium sized clone walkers. Then years later they got AT-AT's which are much bigger. Now we need an even larger version.

4. pwnswitchclik

pwnswitchclik Alakazaminator

5. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

Some of the EU stuff was over the top like the Vong stuff or pissed on the importance of ROTJ like the New Sith Order, but if I were Abrams I would at least go through some of the material and pick out the best parts.

Also, I don't get why they don't also consider stuff before the Prequel Trilogy. Specifically I'm talking about Knights of the Old Republic, which has one of the best video game storylines and twist and could easily be made into a solid movie.

6. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

But why do that when he can do his own work and make the story and characters is own? He didn't sign up for this just to adapt someone else's work, I don't imagine.

Exact same reason. They've never gone in to any endeavor like this looking to outright adapt an existing work. On rarest occasions they'll draw existing characters into something else, like Darth Bane's "appearance" at the end of The Clone Wars, but that's about it. There's simply no real reason for them to take a game like KOTOR - by its very video game definition a loose story that would have to be collapsed in several areas anyway - and adapt it wholesale when they can create something new.

7. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

I just think if there is some very strong material open out there, it might be worth using it or at least incorporating it. This is a huge movie with a lot of hype and especially after how so many fans were disappointed by the PT I think people don't want anybody screwing up on this one.

8. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

And we just established why doing so just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Which has nothing to do with whether they cherry pick existing EU material to adapt. The quality of these movies doesn't go up automatically because they choose to include the Yuuzhan Vong or what have you.

9. Void Ventus

Void Ventus Sic Parvis Magna

Are people still talking about the Expanded Universe? THEY ARE NOT CANON. Disney and George Lucas wiped the slate clean. The only canon stuff now are the 6 movies so far, and the Clone Wars animated show and movie. And every SW movie and game from now on will be considered canon.

10. Dread Advocate

Dread Advocate †Stay Metal†

George had nothing to do with it. It was solely the decision of the story committee that was created to establish lore consistency. And why can't we still talk about the EU? It may not be canon anymore and the may not be adding to it any longer, but it still exists in all its jumbled glory. The Legends EU will still be put out for consumption. Complaining about the decision to render it all a technical alternate timeline and cherry picking what we think should be kept and put into the new canon, sure, it's annoying and will get us nowhere. But ceasing all talks of the Legends EU? That's crazy talk.

11. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

I know what you said. But Abrams ended up using the character Khan in the second Star Trek. He could easily incorporate elements from the EU that he likes in his adaptation.

How does it have nothing to do with it? It has everything to do with it. Nobody wants to see subpar storytelling again. Could Abrams and team could make up a brilliant original plot? Sure, but they could also benefit from looking at the array of literature and comics made by actual writers for inspiration.

12. I'm sure he could, but i couldn't really see them being that pervasive in the next episode. Cameos i could probably see as a more realistic venture. That being said, would i be opposed to Abrams introducing some of the Extended Universe into the next trilogy? Nope. Many of the characters and story arcs from the Extended Universe were very interesting and many of the books that encompass the extended universe were very well written. If i could choose a particular group i would love to see someone like Darth Krayt make an appearance, or his One Sith. Though it wouldn't really fit the timeline due to it happening in a very distant future from the original trilogy, the characters were great additions to the Star Wars universe. Though if rumor can be believed and the title is something along the lines of The Ancient Evil/Fear, i think we're more likely to see a resurrected Sith Lord, such as Marka Ragnos (from Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, great game, btw), Darth Bane, or even the obscure Darth Andeddu (which would be an amazing villain based off his appearance.).

13. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Therein we find the problem. You're trying to automatically equate one with the other by saying "if they adapt EU material, the movies will automatically be better." It doesn't work that way. It's not that simple at all - incorporation of EU material is not at all a guarantee that the film will be that much better for it, and the likely omission of most of that material is not a guarantee of low quality at all. That's the problem with that you're saying, again, that you're trying to equate two things that aren't necessarily connected to one another.

Also, what constitutes an "actual writer" to the degree that Abrams himself - with numerous television and film screenplays credited to him in full or in part - and his team of script writers are not?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  14. Update 6/3/14:
    -Thread name changed from Star Wars Episode VII Thread to "The Star Wars Thread" in light of the limited scope of devoting a thread to a single movie.
    -This thread is open to all manner of discussion pertaining to the cultural phenomenon that is Star Wars. Do you love the prequels or do you think they're one of George Lucas' biggest mistakes? Do you want to discuss whether or not Han shot first in Episode IV: A New Hope? Do you have a love/disdain for the extended universe and spin-offs? All of these questions can be found and discussed within this thread. Whether it is the original, prequel or upcoming trilogy, the extended universe, video games, products, etc., anything Star Wars is fair game in this thread.
    -In a nutshell, since there have been instances of people going off on tangents, plus the fact that there will be more films concerning Star Wars, i thought it would be more constructive to broaden the thread's discussion.
    -P.S. Continue with the good conversations, pretty interesting viewpoints from all of you. Just try to be civil... >.> Carry on.

-Love KPM.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  15. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

No, you're misinterpreting what I said. I acknowledge that Abrams and co can make a great original plot, but it might be worth their while to peruse the EU legendarium for ideas and concepts that can be incorporated.

16. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Not at all. Here's what you said quoted from above:

And both times when asked why there is any reason for him to mine existing material from existing writers when he and his team of writers can do just as well entirely on their own, you've responded "well, people want a GOOD movie this time." What does one have to do with the other if that's not the connection you're trying to make, that if Abrams and Co. want to make a "GOOD" movie they'll pour over the now-defunct EU?

It might be. But it might also be - and is - far more worth their while to not worry at all about the 20-some years of EU novels and comics that preceded them and/or trying to measure up, and instead worry about making their vision the best it can possibly be.

17. shadowF

shadowF Well-Known Member

so what do you guys think will be gareth Edwards star wars spinoff be about? or Josh Trank's spinoff? or what would you guys like their spinoffs be about considering their film styles and everything.

18. There seems to be speculation that at least one of the spinoffs will circle around Boba Fett. Would love to see a Bounty Hunter movie, and would love to see a bunch of Mandalorians on the big screen. That being said, i don't like the prospect of so many spin-offs coming out in such a short time frame. I don't want Star Wars to become diluted.

19. Mister_SGG

Mister_SGG Well-Known Member

Boba Fett movie would be awesome, because even though he's this big giant badass, he barely got any screentime in the films. His development in between Episodes II and V would make a great film.