• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

the stigma of playing pokemon as an adult...

XCSheehan

Marine
I’m 22 and I still play Pokémon, fortunately I have had the opportunity to travel around the USA and Europe. I went to a lot of leagues in many different places, people who play Pokémon still are always great people!

scizor929

Burning Sage
I graduated top of my class 2 years ago and in my speech I told about how I was pushed around in elementary school for liking pokemon. Then in high school where when I had ignored it for most of my life and got left alone people got to see how cool pokemon was.

My point was that you could never judge a book by its cover and you have to give things a try before downgraded people. If you're not going to like people for what they do in they're spare time, leave them alone.

StarBP

H3rd core gamer forever!
herd core... i think u meant H4RD CORE lolz

Yah.. um.. hey! Trolls that play portal 2 and mock me for playing Pokemon! *le holds up big sign that says:*

PORTAL 2 IS AN E RATED GAME!
actually its e10 but still its no call of dooty

also wutz with the hate on the anime? its actually pretty good... sinnslow wasnt the best though... but bw is awesome and the older ones (Advance Challenge and Advance Battle) were great...

Last edited:

Schade

Metallic Wonder
You're never too old to play Pokemon.

originalsteven

I have to admit, when Black was near it's release date they were releasing Event Suicune and Victini. I brought 3 pokemon games with me that day -_-

Ha ha, me too! I was sitting on a bench near the shop with (IIRC) 4 games getting the special Pokémon. I think at the Celebi event i eventually had to go in to the shop because they moved the bench and I wasn't in range >_>;;

As for playing the games as an adult, it doesn't really bother me. Some people will make a joke or something, but never in a malicious way.

I'm a very firm believer in "People who matter don't mind and people who mind don't matter."

I think the only time it was something of an issue is when my boyfriend and I went to Japan. I think I bought a Pokémon related item in every shop we went in to. And we went in a lot of shops ;-) Then I dragged him all over the place when we got lost trying to find the Pokémon Centre...

Other than that it's not really been an issue ;-)

Last edited:

Kim62

Hello
It's not the fact you like Pokemon. It's the fact that when someone tries to make fun of you for liking it you cry like a giant baby.

zz3ke

zz3kE
I'm 19 turning 20 in two weeks and I've been playing Pokemon since yellow, blue and red version for gameboy were released, so I'm in for a couple years, though everyone friends and family know I'm a gamefreak, mainly for playing halo 2 and 3 *was sponsored* I get away with it lol; and people tend to flip out cause i look no where near a gamefreak, very attractive male and played football; I do play pokemon publicly from time to time and do speak publicly about it, I've made tons of friends cause of the game both girls and guys; and if people like you theyre gonna like you regardless if you play pokemon cause before I graduated school all my years 9-12 some of the most beautiful girls in my school that I got to date and still know today known before hand I played Xbox 360 alot and played Pokemon, so 20 years more or not ima still play!

abrar14

Statter Master
If they care there not really your friends

zozo

SLIMED!
Pokemon won't be concidered adult untill the artwork is made grittier and attacks draw blood.

So sad, but so true. People see bright colours and general cheerfulness in something and they generally assume that it's for kids and that it's embarrassing and/or immature for an adult to enjoy it.

Which is really kind of sad when you think of it.

At any rate, here's my two cents. Generally, when I tell people my age or older that I play pokemon, they usually either laugh it off or just smile politely and wait until they can switch the conversation to something else. I truly think that most people (at least the ones I meet) are embarrassed to be talking to a sane, intelligent adult who honestly enjoys a "kids" game. Which only goes to show that they really don't grasp how engaging and thought provoking that game can be. Their loss, I suppose. I just hope I don't get close-minded like that as I grow older. ;)

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
but all players over 20 are like that.

I just never bring it up to people. if someone asks what videogames i like, ill list all of them except pokemon. im 23 so if people knew i liked pokemon, theyd ridicule me (more than they already do for other reasons).
Try being on the brink of 46 Chaos, like I am. I do however have kids that play the game (ages 11 & 21... holy chit I'm getting old!), but I was a video gamer back in the 80s so I have a few years(decades) of being ridiculed because of being a gamer adding Pokemon to the list was nothing at all. ;)

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Malanu is a living proof that one is never too old for Pokemon.
(Man, how many times have I said "Never too old for Pokemon" now?)

FairGamer9215

show them this. It's from the manga, viewer discretion is advised.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/fi123storm/PA1_Chapter_Fourteen12.jpg

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

Just goes to show how much mangas get away with when compared to the anime. And I'm glad they don't make pokemon like this. Its so morbid, and kind of disturbing. I've just never imagined if Pokémon could actually die (because you hit them with a thunderbolt and all they do is faint). To see it happen just creeps me out, and I honestly wouldn't play if they turned it into this. This is coming from a guy who loves his Gears of War and Call of Duty; gore/graphic violence should be reserved for the games that aren't made for kids.

True, we adults play it to, but face facts: Pokémon was created for a younger audience. The fact that adults can still play it and enjoy it makes it that much cooler.

Cruisin'

Pokemon won't be concidered adult untill the artwork is made grittier and attacks draw blood.

I'm tired of imagining my opponents pokemon being impaled by my NidoKings Megahorn, or completely incinerated by my Charizard Blast Burn, I wanna see it!

Seriously, I sometimes imagine an actual brutal n' bloody fight when I get really in to the battle haha. You have no idea how many heads my Espeon has exploded with Psychic.

HushMan

I'm 19 and I don't care who knows that I play. Obviously though, when meeting someone it's not the first thing I would mention haha

Cruisin'

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!

Just goes to show how much mangas get away with when compared to the anime. And I'm glad they don't make pokemon like this. Its so morbid, and kind of disturbing. I've just never imagined if Pokémon could actually die (because you hit them with a thunderbolt and all they do is faint). To see it happen just creeps me out, and I honestly wouldn't play if they turned it into this. This is coming from a guy who loves his Gears of War and Call of Duty; gore/graphic violence should be reserved for the games that aren't made for kids.

True, we adults play it to, but face facts: Pokémon was created for a younger audience. The fact that adults can still play it and enjoy it makes it that much cooler.

Funny because I just started reading that manga Pokemon Adventures and got to that page and was like, " Holy ****! This is how the games should be!"

lol

Moonlight_Tails

Nocturnal Trainer
I've been collecting the pokemon games and all of the nintendo machines since they came out. I don't have some of the off-shoots like ranger and dungeons, but I own all of the main games and at least 2 each of the hand helds (I didn't know anyone who played and as you know you need two systems to 'catch them all')

Same for me pretty much. I own all main games from gen 4 on. 2 copies of HG and 2 DS systems (DS lite, DSi XL)

I'll be 38 on Feb 2. don't know anyone else my age who plays. My friends know I play, but it doesn't bother them.