• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The stories of Aaron Rayman

shac

Prelude…

It was an intense moment, a defining one. The setting was a pokemon stadium. The event was the semi-finals of Unova region.

On one side of the battle-field there stood a tall, lean figure. He wore a calm composed expression, a bit relaxed even. The reason was quite apparent – the huge score-board overhead showed he still had two pokemon usable in his party of six, while his opponent was down to the last one. The fifth spot in his team showed a head-shot of a pokemon with a scorching red face, a bright yellow flame on its crest and wide pink beaks – a Magmortar. The real thing stood on its trainer’s side on the battle-field – an almost six feet tall flaming monster. It exuded power even at a standstill, breathing slowly, clearly pumped up for the coming battle. Just looking at it you could tell that it had years of training, heaps of battling experience - a formidable pokemon ready to take on whatever the opponent threw at it. And the commentator would agree with you too.

“On the green corner Lee Roy has chosen Magmortar – the fire blast pokemon”, announced the commentator, “this is one tough cookie folks! This Magmortar singlehandedly won the second round battle for Lee Roy where it took out all three of the opponent’s pokemon without much trouble.”
The commentator shifted his attention to the other side of the battle-field. “Does our red trainer, Aaron Rayman have what it takes to take on such a powerful pokemon?” his voice quivered in anticipation. “What is going to be his last pokemon for today’s match?”

The crowd was completely silent. For a crowd of around ten thousand spectators, this really showed how tense the moment was. Aaron Rayman was scrutinizing the Magmortar from across the field. For a trainer in such a tight situation, he did not seem to be much worried. He did not have any choice to make, not anymore. He had lost all five of his pokemon and was down to his last. There was no more option left open. He had to go with whatever his last pokemon was, and the crowd sat on the edge of their seats to find out what it was. It had been a very exciting match so far – both battlers taking upper hand at one time or another. Lee Roy definitely seemed to have gained the edge now, but things could only be decided, or at least could be told with more certainty once Aaron revealed his last pokemon.

For ten complete seconds Aaron just stood there. A cool spring breeze blew across the stadium ruffling his golden blonde locks. He was just a teenager. He looked slighter for his age though. That was probably because of the way he dressed – baggy jeans and a slightly too big t-shirt. On his belt hung a wallet-sort-of which had slots for his six carrying pokeballs.

As the crowd patiently watched on, Aaron reached into his wallet and fished out the last poke-ball. He clicked the middle button and the marble-sized ball enlarged into an orange-sized one. He took a deep breath and exhaled heavily. He closed his eyes, as if in prayers, took the poke-ball to his lips and kissed it. “Don’t fail me now, my old friend”, he said softly under his breath. He slowly lifted his head and looked fully at his opponents – both the human and the pokemon. Then in one fluid motion he lifted the pokeball and clicked on the button. Almost half the crowd stood to see what was coming. The rim of the pokeball fell open, a flash of bright light escaped from the ball and materialized on the battlefield….

An unexpected visitor…

Aaron Rayman was a bright kid. Everyone agreed to that. His father was a renowned engineer working for the Devon Co. in Hoenn in a very high level position. Everyone was certain that the boy was to follow his father’s footsteps someday. At the age of seven Aaron had already grew a reputation as a ‘whiz-kid’ in Petalburg Primary School. He had a way with math and science that constantly dazzled the teachers. He was a good kid too – polite and obedient. His parents were proud and Aaron was happy.
But all that changed during the course of the following year, and it all started on a very cold winter evening. Christmas was approaching and it seemed that it was going to be a very snowy Christmas. It had been snowing every evening for the last couple of days. Petalburg Park was already under a thick blanket of snow. The local gym-leader Norman could be seen working with his Vigoroth to clean up the snow from the streets.

A cold winter was really not that big a bother for the households of Petalburg though. The people living here were well catered for. They had enough supplies to go on well without suffering much from the crazy weather. Rayman house was no different either.

On this particular winter evening, when our story begins, Mr. Rayman was away for work. Mrs. Rayman was at home working in the kitchen, trying a new recipe for the Christmas dinner. Aaron was playing in the living room under the newly set Christmas tree with his ‘Transformers’ figures – an Optimus Prime and a Megatron.

“And Optimus used omega-blast at a forty-five degree angle to his right”, narrated Aaron as he swung around the toy figures and made them clash into each other. But what happened as a result was never decided as there was a knock on the front door at that moment.

“Who would come at this hour?” wondered Mrs. Rayman as she poked her head from the kitchen into the living room. “And in this crazy weather”, she thought aloud as she glanced at the living room window. The curtains were drawn up and the front porch was visible. A snowstorm was raging outside.
The visitor knocked again. It was not a proper knock either. It seemed like someone was tapping impatiently at the door. One could easily imagine why someone would be so impatient – standing outside in that weather!

“Why not just ring the bell instead,” she hurried to the front door. Aaron was there before her.

“Can you get the door for me honey?” asked Mrs. Rayman. She had her mittens on.

“Yes mommy,” replied Aaron as he turned the door knob. A cold gust of wind blew into the hallway making Aaron shiver and he immediately took cover behind the door panel. At first they did not see anyone. The front porch seemed completely empty. But then Mrs. Rayman turned on the porch light and a small figure came into view. It was a pokemon.

It looked like a rugby ball covered in steel plates, with a single blunt spike coming out of its back. There were a few holes in its steel armor and the biggest two of them on it head showed two big blue eyes. The little pokemon, hardly a feet tall, was hurdled into a corner outside the door. As Aaron opened the door it jittered into the light outside the door trying to find some warmth. It did not come inside, but looked up rather expectantly with its big blue eyes at the humans. It was shivering slightly, and as its gaze met the two humans it panted softly, “rawwwn”, as if to say ‘please’.

“Look mommy, it’s an Aron!” Aaron cried out getting all excited.

“What’s the poor thing doing here?” said Mrs. Rayman as she got onto her knees to get a better look at the little pokemon. The stormy wind whipped her hair and she shivered at the cold. “We better get it inside,” she said to Aaron, “it’s freezing out here!”

Aaron got onto his all four and crawled towards the Aron. It did not shy away but looked cautiously at the approaching figure. “You can come in little fella”, Aaron offered. He stretched his hand and gently caressed its steel plate. The Aron did not mind. Aaron was really excited. How often does a pokemon come knocking at our door?

“Careful!” cautioned Mrs Rayman, “it might bite.”

“It feels like ice mommy!” said Aaron as he continued petting the little pokemon. The Aron seemed to enjoy this as it closed its eyes and breathed evenly making purring noises.

“No wonder,” said Mrs Rayman. “You two get inside and close the door,” said Mrs Rayman as she got up, “you are gonna catch a cold Aaron.”

“Okay mom,” replied Aaron as he backed into the hallway still on all four.

“Come in, come in,” he ushered the little pokemon. The Aron seemed to understand as it got on its knobby little feet and quivered its way into the hallway looking cautiously at the boy all the time. As soon as it was safely inside, Mrs Rayman stepped over and closed the door. The little Aron followed the motion of the door with its big blue eyes and as it shut with a snap it jumped a little. Aaron chuckled.

Mrs. Rayman smiled. “Now what do we do with you?”

The phone rang from the living room at that moment.

“I’ll answer that,” said Mrs. Rayman smiling at his boy who seemed to be completely taken up with their unexpected visitor. “Aaron, you see if you can take it near the fireplace, it might want some heat,” she added as she walked away from the hallway.

“Okay,” said Aaron. He Sat in front of the Aron and then tried to lift it up but could not. The little pokemon seemed to follow. It got up and gingered towards Aaron. “Wow, you are heavy!” Aaron commented, “but you are supposed to since you are the iron armor pokemon, aren’t you?”

Aaron got up and pointed Aron to follow as he walked over to the living room. “Come over here, it’s warmer in here.”

The Aron followed.

Mrs. Rayman was still on the phone and as the boy and the pokemon entered the room she mouthed ‘it’s daddy’ to Aaron.

“Let me speak, let me speak,” he squeaked excitedly. He had missed his father.

“Hold on honey,” Mrs Rayman said over the phone, “Ron wants to talk to you.”

She smiled and handed the receiver to Aaron.

“Hello daddy,” Aaron greeted.

“Hey my little genius, how are things?”

“Good dad!” he chimed, “when are you coming home?”

“Next Friday on Christmas eve.”

“That’s still a week away!” said Aaron slightly crestfallen.

“I know,” said Mr. Rayman sensing the disappointment, “but guess what, we are almost done with the fossil-revival machine!”

This cheered up Aaron. “That’s cool daddy!” he said. Mr. Rayman often talked about work to his son. Aaron was ever so interested about the progress technology was making regarding pokemon. Devon Co. has been working on the fossil revival mechanism for over a year now. Mr. Rayman was the chief scientist of the team working on that project. Aaron has very enthusiastic about the whole thing.

“Have you received any fossil to test the machine yet?” he asked his father.
“Not yet. But Miss Roxanne has promised us some very soon. She knows this guy in Fallarbor who has been working on getting his hand on some, you see. We have news that he has finally dug up some fossils. So, very soon we are gonna get some prehistoric pokemon in our lab!”

“That is so cool daddy!” said Aaron.

The little iron pokemon made a hissing sound at this point and jumped away from the fireplace. Apparently it was sitting a bit too close to the fireplace and an ember has flown out and landed on its shell.
Aaron chuckled.

“What happened?” Mr Rayman wondered over the phone.

“Oh, dad, this Aron came knocking down our door just before you called.”

“Ah, yes. Your mom was telling me about it.”

“It was sitting close to the fireplace and got singed!” Aaron chuckled again.
“An Aron won’t like that of course…”

“Yes, of course, because it is a steel type!” Aaron caught on excitedly.

“That’s my boy!” Mr. Rayman smiled proudly over the phone, “you know your pokemon all right!”

“Yeah dad,we had Mrs. Perkinson teach us all about Hoenn Pokemon in school this year.”

“That’s good!” said Mr. Rayman. “I wonder where the Aron came from though. None of our neighbors has one if I remember right.”

“Yes daddy, you are right. Samantha has a Skitty, Tom has an Electrike and Jenna got a Poochyenna on her birthday last month, but none has an Aron.”
“Hmph” Mr. Rayman sighed thoughtfully. “It could be Norman’s,” he added.
“But Mr. Norman only trains normal types daddy!”

“Well, we have a mystery then,” said Mr. Rayman giving up.

“Can I keep it daddy?” Aaron asked expectantly. His mother, who was listening to the boy talking to his father, poked her head from the kitchen and raised an eyebrow at this.

“Why? I never knew you wanted a pokemon,” Mr. Rayman asked.

“Well, it’s sort of…” Aaron looked at the Aron and it met his gaze with its big blue eyes, “…cute,” he finished.

Mr Rayman chuckled, “well, yes they sort of are, I guess. But in time that little Aron will grow, son, and become a huge beast.”

“Yes, I know daddy. First into a Lairon and then into an Aggron!”

“Exactly! Do you think you can handle that my little champ?” Mr Rayman asked fondly.

“Of course daddy, I can train it so that we can become strong together!”

Aaron was overly excited, “like Norman or even Steven Stone, the champion!” Mrs. Rayman’s eyebrow rose even higher.

Mr. Rayman chuckled. “We will see about that,” he said.

“So can I keep the Aron?” Aaron asked hopefully.

“Well with strays like this one, usually the Pokemon Centre takes them in and nurses them back to health and then hand them over to a ranger to release them in their natural habitat. You don’t want the Aron to be separated from its mother, do you?”

“No, I guess not,” said Aaron slightly dejected.

“But it might take time for the Pokemon Centre to find a ranger to take on the assignment, in which case you can keep it if Nurse Joy agrees,” said Mr. Rayman.

“Thanks Dad!” Aaron cried out getting excited again. “I’ll ask Nurse Joy and if she permits to let me keep it for a while, I’ll take good care of it, I promise!”
“That’s my boy!” said Mr. Rayman proudly, “now, give the phone to your mom. I need to talk to her. You be good now, okay. I’ll call later to check up on the Aron.”

“Okay dad, bye!” said Aaron and then handed the receiver to his mom.

As Mrs. Rayman continued her conversation from before with her husband, Aaron walked over to the Christmas tree. The little Aron had found its way to Aaron’s transformer figures. It was curiously nibbling on the Megatron figurine. Aaron sat close to the pokemon. “You found Megatron, aye?” he asked, “He is the evil guy, you see”. He clicked on a button on the back of the Megatron figure and it made a noise that sounded like an evil laugh, ‘Ha Ha Ha’

The little Aron jumped at the sudden noise and in shock chomped down on the Megatron figure. In one bite it cleaned off half the figure and then crunchily grinded on the metal pieces and ate it all!

Aaron was first shocked at this. Then he sighed and with a smile patted the little pokemon who looked very satisfied with itself. “I guess you do like metal, huh?”

He looked over at the broken metal figure of Megatron. “I will call you Optimus, since you defeated Megatron!” He chuckled at his own joke.
The little Aron closed its eyes and rested its head on Aaron’s lap. It has found a new home.

Prelude continued…

As the flash of light took shape it revealed a huge hunky metal beast. An Aggron - a ferocious looking, grey skinned, bipedal monster with metal armor covering various parts of its body. Sun reflected off its metal cladding, giving it a glazy aura. It roared powerfully and the crowd cheered in support.

“Optimus,” Aaron Rayman pronounced under his breath. “Let’s do this!”