1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Strangest Pokémon Sprite, that looks stranger than it does today.

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by bones090, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bones090

bones090 < brav man i is sick

The Strangest Pokémon Sprite, that looks stranger than it does today.

What am I on about? I’m talking about the difference between the Red/Blue sprites and the B/W or HG/SS sprites. Take a look at Mankey. Or Pidgey. What do you think?

2. rice chrisb

rice chrisb master of grass

golbat and geodude

take a look at golbat's old sprite. Now that's disturbing! Also, if you compare geodude's old sprite to its newer one, I think You will see a HUGE difference!

3. Bleu

Bleu Shiny Catcher!

Scariest award goes to Eggsecutor, he looked like a three headed pedophile or something.
    Vuplix looks definitely cuter with the little white patch under her face though and Haunter definitely looked his best in this generation too. He genuinely looks more scary and foreboding in my opinion.

4. SilverSoulLugia

SilverSoulLugia Well-Known Member

Actually, Pikachu looks pretty different...
    And I wouldn't have recognised Ponyta and Rapidash either!
    (Chansey's rather creepy too... O___O)

5. Forretress Fan

Forretress Fan Let's Go

The creepiest first generation sprites I have found were Venusaur, Golbat, Exeggcutor, and Dragonite.

6. Takeo

Takeo Well-Known Member

I must say the winner here is 1Golbat, 2Gastly, 3Gengar.....

7. Aquarelle

Aquarelle Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would take the sprites from newer games over most of the first gen. sprites any day. So many Pokemon look creepy and disturbing in the older games. In the newer games, they look like what they're supposed to look like.

I'm glad I saw the anime and played newer games before playing RB, because otherwise I would've been confused by the designs of some of the Pokemon. Like take Gastly, its RB sprite looks nothing like it does in newer games or in the show!

The strangest/creepiest sprites from this generation are Chansey, Exeggutor, Mew, and Jigglypuff, IMO. *shudders*

8. Viviphy

Viviphy Canadian Bacon

it's humorous to look back at most of them, so many were wretched.

9. Seviper_Venom

Seviper_Venom Seviper Enthusiast

In my opinion, in regards to the original Red/Blue/Yellow games. The sprite that I thought was the most disturbing was the Venusaur sprite when you sent it out into battle, so, when you saw it from behind. I can understand what its supposed to be, but at 1st glance it looks like a pile of green crap covered with pieces of putrid rotting lettuce draping off of it lol.

On the other hand, the new and improved sprites for Venusaur are much much better.

10. finalname09

finalname09 Na Na Niii

Golbat is the only Pokemon I find really scary. Hmm... I don't remember Venusaur and Exeggutor being very scary looking.

11. minumranger

minumranger Tour Guide <3

Mew in Green is Disturbing. Other than that I thought they were Okay, but the sprites are alot less freaky now than they were when I was a kid

12. dingodile555

dingodile555 Active Member

^Team Teehee? Lulz. Anyway, this is my first post in 4 years, hello! :D

A lot of the old sprites are strange but I love them for that. There's certain ones though like Geodue and Moltres that I've never liked.

Dodrio looks f***ing terrifying. Koffing is weird when you consider that his markings are actually above his face. As pointed out earlier, Gastly looks completely different too. And has nobody mentioned Paras?

Most of the sprites though, I like. Articuno's is epic.

13. MugoUrth

MugoUrth Bibarel's adorable.

There was something about Flareon's sprite. While I dislike the Eeveeons entirely, there was something about Green's Flareon sprite that looked creepy and sinister. Or maybe I just liked how weird it looks.

14. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

Probably Mew's Red and Blue Sprite, compared to what it is now.

Speaking of which, Mewtwo's Red and Blue sprite actually looks a lot more better than the newer versions, every generation seems to get mewtwo's sprite worse.

15. CasteliaUmbreon

CasteliaUmbreon Castelia's Finest

I find Hypno to be one of the oddest sprites, although it still looks relatively the same, it's green sprite somehow makes me feel uncomfortable...

16. Haipho

Haipho Love Maker

I find that all the sprites look pretty different back then compared to what they are now.

17. Kalosian

Kalosian Never Say Forever

^ Same here, athough I do think some looks weirder than others.
    From Red/Green, I think Wigglytuff, Butterfree, Moltres, Dragonite, Seadra and Jolteon looks more weird than the others.
    From Red/Blue, Ivysaur, Articuno, Dratini, Golem, Scyther, Rhyhorn and Lickitung takes that place.
    From Yellow, Magikarp, Magmar, Hitmonlee, Machoke and Hypno are the strangest IMO.

18. deoxysdude94

deoxysdude94 Just bought a Switch :D

pikachu's sprite in R/B was really weird. That wins in my opinion.

19. Legend of Lucario

Legend of Lucario Songwriter

The real difference with Pikachu's sprite from Red/Blue/Green is that there is no coloration on it's underbelly, and I notice as Pikachu's art form changes in the anime, it changes in the games, because Pikachu today looks nothing like the Pikachu in the first generation games or anime.

I do find Golbat's old sprite pretty creepy actually...and the one where Butterfree is turned upside down, I think that was in Red and Blue, that always struck me as odd.

20. Lorde

Lorde Banned

Hmm. I guess Gastly's old Generation 1 sprites look completely strange compared to its newer sprites. I've noticed that Gastly looks like a ball of gas in its older sprites. It doesn't even have the orb in the center like in some of the other sprites. That isn't too strange, but I still think it's interesting. Koffing's Red/Blue sprite was a little off as well, compared to its other sprites. The old Red/Green Mew sprite looks extremely strange. I still haven't been able to look at it without flinching. Compare that old sprite with the new Mew sprites, and the difference is staggering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.