• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

I had a community band performance yesterday. :3 Benny Goodman, Stevie Wonder, The Carpenters...all that good stuff. Oh, and in biology we're learning about Kreb's cycle and glycolsis. I don't get a lick of any of that. I barely understood the whole ATP/NADPH process...could anyone simplify any of that?

Moneyy

INACTIVE
I have an extreme amount of homework this weekend. Since I had almost no homework for the first few months of school, I guess my teachers are making up for that by giving me tons of work over the past few weeks.

Jameson1

Mes amis
I had a community band performance yesterday. :3 Benny Goodman, Stevie Wonder, The Carpenters...all that good stuff. Oh, and in biology we're learning about Kreb's cycle and glycolsis. I don't get a lick of any of that. I barely understood the whole ATP/NADPH process...could anyone simplify any of that?

I'm a Biology major, so I know a little bit about this stuff. Basically, the main objective of every reaction leading up to the Electron Transport Chain is to make NADH and FADH2, so that the ETC can convert it to ATP.

Glycolysis = 2 ATP produced, 2 NADH produced, 2 Pyruvate molecules produced.
Pyruvate Oxidation = 2 NADH produced.
Krebs Cycle = 2 ATP produced, 6 NADH produced, 2 FADH2 produced.
ETC = takes the 10 NADH --> converts to 30 units of ATP, converts 2 molecules FADH2 to 4 units of ATP.

Total ATP produced will be between 36-38 units, depending on the efficiency of the ETC.

Here's the whole process, in a nutshell (though I did leave out Fermentation). If you have any questions just shoot me a VM and I'll be glad to help.

The process of Glycolysis has 2 main objectives: To use NAD+ produce NADH that will later be used in the Electron Transport Chain to produce ATP, to produce 2 3-carbon molecules of Pyruvate, and to net a couple of units of ATP for energy usage. If there IS Oxygen present, the Pyruvate will go from the cytoplasm of the cell into the Mitochondria, where it will undergo Pyruvate Oxidation, which produces 2 CO2 molecules and also some NADH, while converting the 3-carbon Pyruvate into a 2-carbon Acetyl Coenzyme A. The Acetyl CoA enters the inner matrix of the Mitochondria and undergoes a series of reactions called the Krebs cycle, which produces a little ATP and several units of NADH and FADH2, and ends up Oxidizing the last 4 carbons (so no carbon molecules from the original 6-carbon glucose are left after this step). After all of this, the NADH and FADH2 go to the Mitochondrial membrane and are used during the Electron Transport Chain to create the bulk of the ATP cells will need.

The process of Glycolysis has 2 main objectives: To use NAD+ produce NADH that will later be used in the Electron Transport Chain to produce ATP, to produce 2 3-carbon molecules of Pyruvate, and to net a couple of units of ATP for energy usage. If there IS Oxygen present, the Pyruvate will go from the cytoplasm of the cell into the Mitochondria, where it will undergo Pyruvate Oxidation, which produces 2 CO2 molecules and also some NADH, while converting the 3-carbon Pyruvate into a 2-carbon Acetyl Coenzyme A. The Acetyl CoA enters the inner matrix of the Mitochondria and undergoes a series of reactions called the Krebs cycle, which produces a little ATP and several units of NADH and FADH2, and ends up Oxidizing the last 4 carbons (so no carbon molecules from the original 6-carbon glucose are left after this step). After all of this, the NADH and FADH2 go to the Mitochondrial membrane and are used during the Electron Transport Chain to create the bulk of the ATP cells will need.

Way better summary than what was in the textbook. :3 Thank you, I get it better.

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
all those words confused me :eek:

Flame Mistress

AHHHHHHH I have another Science Test coming up tomorrow. *sobs*

Let's just hope that this one isn't as much of a failure as the last two ones.

Jinvaani

Your teacher did that on purpose; it's a pretty common English class assignment. The letter "E" is the most common letter in the English language. Ernest Vincent Wright wrote the 50,000-word novel, "Gadsby", that didn't include a single letter e. That assignment really makes you think about the conjugations and spelling of words that you use everyday.

I've just read an extract from it and that was painful to read. I have no idea why, it just was.

Will we get a snow day? :D

Calamity™

aka Lamia
If it was my old School, you would never get snow days regardless of how hazardous the surroundings may be. So it depends on your School. University has no snow days, but then we could choose to just stay home! :)

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
If it was my old School, you would never get snow days regardless of how hazardous the surroundings may be. So it depends on your School. University has no snow days, but then we could choose to just stay home! :)

My school once had a snow day. Rumour has it that the head was criticised for the decision, so if I know her this means we'll never get a snow day again.

But the snow might not last till tomorrow where I am anyway.

John Madden

resident policy guy
I'm fairly close to graduating from a four-year university in central Ohio and I spent the rest of my formative years in the middle of the US's Snow Belt, I'm pretty sure I've forgotten what it means to have a snow day at this point

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
My school once had a snow day. Rumour has it that the head was criticised for the decision, so if I know her this means we'll never get a snow day again.

But the snow might not last till tomorrow where I am anyway.

What's the temperature like?

Our school can be pretty annoying when it comes to snow days. They tend to say: "Oh, yes, come in if you can!" and then decide about an hour into the day that everyone's going to go home at twelve.

Larry

Our school can be pretty annoying when it comes to snow days. They tend to say: "Oh, yes, come in if you can!" and then decide about an hour into the day that everyone's going to go home at twelve.

My school has never sent us home early due to snow despite us doing go home early drills every year.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
My school has never sent us home early due to snow despite us doing go home early drills every year.

To be honest I'd probably just rather they either let us go in for a proper day, or not go in at all.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!

Above freezing. The snow's melting really quickly, so even a reasonable school would be open tomorrow.

But yeah, my school does that too. All the students live near, but the teachers often live much further away so we'll quite often be told to come in even when just under half the staff are told not too, and then we wait in the library for nothing to happen if you're a 6th former, and the lower years just merge into bigger classes and do word searches or something.

The Wallflower

I'll tickle ur fancy
We've gotten barely any snow days so far this year. Probably because it hasn't snowed much yet...But it did snow at the end of October though, which is like the earliest time ever here...

One time last year it started snowing really heavy and everybody got to go home after lunch on the buses. I had Driver's Ed during 5th period (which is when they have the lunches, there's 1st, 2nd and 3rd lunch) and since the Driver's Ed bus couldn't come (we have to ride a bus to get to the building and driving range) I got to sit through all 3 lunches and see my friends. It was awesome.

Does anybody else's schools have Driver's Ed, and is anybody taking it? I took it last year and even though it was a cool class because they let us buy snacks and soda if we weren't driving, I hated driving on the range. I should've got my permit and practiced on at least backroads before I took that class. So nerve-wracking, they made you memorize courses, drive with other students on the range (with a student as a passenger also) and you could only communicate with the adult with a walkie-talkie as he watched from a watch tower. JDHFSJDHFSD.

Anyway, I have to read give-or-take 140-150 pages of a book by tommorrow, 1st period. The Greatest Generation by Tom Broklaw for History. Luckily it's an okay read but I'm not very interested in it. The teacher's also making us write 3 to 6 (I'm only going to do 3 to 4) index cards filled with info about and for EVERY SINGLE BLOODY PRESIDENT. And it's due by the end of Feb. Such a tedious assignment. God why...

I will love you forever if you give me a site with info about every president (not personal stuff about them, but like what they did, how it affected the U.S., how did it all work out, etc.)

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Nah it looks like we're not getting one (it's melting). CUUUURRRSSSESS!

There are still ice warnings for pretty much all of England for tomorrow from the MET office, though, so we could still be...

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
we have had zero snow days. we will get a blizzard soon like ny got last year. it waited til the day after cmas to snow at all
it was 60 f a few days ago. this is NOT normal thats why we will get a blizzard in march.