• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Charoshi

Charmander is best
Spent what amounts to 20 hours of straight work between 8am yesterday and 4am this morning. Finished a research paper, a formal bio lab, a pre lab for the lab this evening and wrote my last midterm. Needless to say, I don't feel all that fantastic at the moment.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
I just got out of school 2 hours ago had 8 hours of school and 3 hours of drivers ed, I AM BEAT!!!!

TheEliteEmpoleon

I had a Geometry Honors test today. I was expecting a really hard tes, but it wasn't that bad. The last question was a two column proof, and I couldn't think of the reason for one of my statements. It was the only thing I needed to do, and I stared at it for like five minutes. Suddenly, the words 'Angle Addition Postulate' appear in my head and I scream out loud YYYYEEEESSSSS!!! Then the bell rang and I almost didn't have time to write it down...

Got a 90% on it, so I'm content!

My school is full of stupidity... My history teacher is bribing us so we can get a good grade! she says if our class gets at least an 80 average she'll give each student a giant cupcake, and for any students who get 100% get a king sized candy bar and a two liter of any pop/cola they want! I think it's stupid to bribe children like that.

And since today was my birthday my class thought it would be fun to sing Happy Birthday loudly in class. I hate being the center of attention...

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
So the Spanish 2 classes are learning about clothes right now. There's a Spanish 2 class during seventh period, the period that I TA for a teacher, and today, that teacher told me to go deliver something to the other Spanish 2 teacher. So I did, and when I entered, the teacher was like, "Look, students, this is a dress!" and pointed at the dress that I was wearing. :)

The Keyblade Alchemist

Don't even blink!
My school is full of stupidity... My history teacher is bribing us so we can get a good grade! she says if our class gets at least an 80 average she'll give each student a giant cupcake, and for any students who get 100% get a king sized candy bar and a two liter of any pop/cola they want! I think it's stupid to bribe children like that.

And since today was my birthday my class thought it would be fun to sing Happy Birthday loudly in class. I hate being the center of attention...
But it's good for your health! Anyways, writing up sme last minute Extra Credit while I still have math to do. It's math, so it's easy, bu it's still something... Gahhhhh I don't know what to write about for the extra credit... (10 minutes later) got it! It's still boring though

MegaSerperior

<--- My life

That does get annoying. My birthday was the tenth and we were all changing for gym when the teacher yells out "Happy birthday -insert my name here-!" So evveryone starts singing happy birthday. It was very awkward...

The Keyblade Alchemist

Don't even blink!

Me too... A sub once made us sing happy birthday backwards to a girl (who sat next to me) , when her beat was next week. How weird is that.?

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Just found out that I got a 94% on my AP Psych exam. That's the highest in the class, and the class average was low enough for that to be bumped up to 100%! Whoo. :)

You guys have grading curves in high school? I wish I had a class like that!

There's only one teacher that grades on a grading curve here, and he's an art teacher... :/

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
You guys have grading curves in high school? I wish I had a class like that!

There's only one teacher that grades on a grading curve here, and he's an art teacher... :/

We have grading curves too in AP Chemistry since the tests are at the level of an actual AP test, with an FRQ as well. I have no idea how he curves though, since a test of 20 questions was curved to be out of 15 last chapter, even though plenty students got as high as 18 or 19 correct. We even get test corrections. If you couldn't tell, he's all for making sure we can get a good grade, even with tough tests that give us an idea of what the AP test is like. This is my hardest class too. :p

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
We have grading curves too in AP Chemistry since the tests are at the level of an actual AP test, with an FRQ as well. I have no idea how he curves though, since a test of 20 questions was curved to be out of 15 last chapter, even though plenty students got as high as 18 or 19 correct. We even get test corrections. If you couldn't tell, he's all for making sure we can get a good grade, even with tough tests that give us an idea of what the AP test is like. This is my hardest class too. :p

You guys are lucky that your teachers grade on a curve... but is the curve set up so that the A, B, C, D, and F intervals are controlled directly by how the other students in the class do? Because if they are, it doesn't seem very ethical to me. :/

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
You guys are lucky that your teachers grade on a curve... but is the curve set up so that the A, B, C, D, and F intervals are controlled directly by how the other students in the class do? Because if they are, it doesn't seem very ethical to me. :/

Kinda, but it's not completely controlled by our performance. If we all purposely failed the test, he wouldn't curve that to give us a good grade. It's not like it's the biggest curve. Many official AP tests have the cutoff for a 5 being the equivalent of low D on a normal test. Though there are still people who outright fail the test either way, and others are just really smart. In general, the curve is very generous.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Kinda, but it's not completely controlled by our performance. If we all purposely failed the test, he wouldn't curve that to give us a good grade. It's not like it's the biggest curve. Many official AP tests have the cutoff for a 5 being the equivalent of low D on a normal test. Though there are still people who outright fail the test either way, and others are just really smart. In general, the curve is very generous.

You might have answered my question, but let me give an example:
There are thirty students in a class. 29 get 80% or higher on a test, whereas one gets below a 40% (the reason is irrelevant). Would the teacher say that because the 29 who got 80% or higher got what they got because of their hard studying that the curve would mean that half of those 29 would get A's and half would get B's, or would it mean that the intervals are increased so that the people who got 87% and 88% could potentially get A's?

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
You might have answered my question, but let me give an example:
There are thirty students in a class. 29 get 80% or higher on a test, whereas one gets below a 40% (the reason is irrelevant). Would the teacher say that because the 29 who got 80% or higher got what they got because of their hard studying that the curve would mean that half of those 29 would get A's and half would get B's, or would it mean that the intervals are increased so that the people who got 87% and 88% could potentially get A's?

Oh, the intervals aren't exactly increased. They're just shifted so that, for my example, 15 out of 20 would be 100%, and any score above is extra points in the test category. So, they are curved so that all scores, notably marginal scores, can go up bit. So that one guy that gets 40% gets a higher score depending on the curve to make his test score less damaging to his grade. It's not exactly clear how he determines the actual curve, though. And FRQ's are never curved, so that's another balance.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Oh, the intervals aren't exactly increased. They're just shifted so that, for my example, 15 out of 20 would be 100%, and any score above is extra points in the test category. So, they are curved so that people who got marginal scores can go up bit. So that one guy that gets 40% gets a higher score depending on the curve to make his test score less damaging to his grade. It's not exactly clear how he determines the actual curve, though. And FRQ's are never curved, so that's another balance.

Oh, okay, so the maximum is literally decreased, and extra points would go into extra credit, right?

ebevan91

Sometimes my teachers would take the highest test grade in the class, subtract that from 100, then whatever that was, they'd give those points to everybody in the class.

So if the highest grade was a 92, the teacher would give everybody an extra 8 points on their test. The person with the highest grade getting a 100.

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Drivers ed is taking forever today -_-