• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
There's always the 11+ entrance exams we have to worry about, too - we cant have it just after the New Year, but we can't have them interfering with the lessons, either... anyway. Yeah, I have to admit, I really am lucky to be going to my school, though we have to pay a ridiculous amount for it.

Yeah, I've heard that the exams are pretty brutal but I do suppose that the fact that they only accept the best is justified - although you do get a lot of ugly rivalries between public and private schools in the same area. There's a lot of cursing and beating going on from both sides a lot in my area. And as for the money issue... I think more people are concerned about tuition fees going up, seeing as with secondary education there's always a free option but with Universities it's either pay or don't attend...

Argon Wartortle

Farewell, SPPF...
That's alright, though. I'd be pretty happy if I got 2 A* but my parents wouldn't be.

Really? I had exams towards the end of term even though I'm in 6th Grade and my highest was 87 in Latin. I got endless praise for the next two weeks. I came third in the class yet came second in English at 73. Frankly, I don't blame my awful comprehension skills at all, but comprehension itself for existing in the first place. Basically all the exams were either A's or B's for me. :/ Also I came 12th out of 18 in French at 84%.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Reading comprehension is pretty much the bane of my existence when it comes to English class. :/

I don't know why, but even if a story is relatively interesting, I can't seem to remember what happens in it when I'm taking a test.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I finally got my grades back, and they were mostly as expected (C in calculus, B in A&P, A in writing), but I somehow managed an A- in biochemistry, and I have literally no ****ing clue how that could have happened. I attended fewer than half of the classes (which counts towards 5% of the grade), and out of the 5 tests throughout the semester (which was 70% of the final grade), I only showed up to get three back, and they were a low and mid B and a high F (one test gets dropped, and though I felt good about taking the two tests I didn't get back, I don't think that they were that high). And then on the final (the remaining 25% of the grade), I had no clue what they were asking for the first quarter of the questions and just guessed (though now that I think about it, it was probably a two-semester test, and I'm only on the first half, so it was probably curved).

In short, I was expecting maybe a C, so I'm pretty confused right now. I think my professor either screwed up or has some strange, unwritten grading policy. Either way, I'm pretty stoked about it, as I benefited tremendously. Holla

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I finally got my grades back, and they were mostly as expected (C in calculus, B in A&P, A in writing), but I somehow managed an A- in biochemistry, and I have literally no ****ing clue how that could have happened. I attended fewer than half of the classes (which counts towards 5% of the grade), and out of the 5 tests throughout the semester (which was 70% of the final grade), I only showed up to get three back, and they were a low and mid B and a high F (one test gets dropped, and though I felt good about taking the two tests I didn't get back, I don't think that they were that high). And then on the final (the remaining 25% of the grade), I had no clue what they were asking for the first quarter of the questions and just guessed (though now that I think about it, it was probably a two-semester test, and I'm only on the first half, so it was probably curved).

In short, I was expecting maybe a C, so I'm pretty confused right now. I think my professor either screwed up or has some strange, unwritten grading policy. Either way, I'm pretty stoked about it, as I benefited tremendously. Holla

Maybe your biochemistry classmates did even worse than you did. o:

In any case, congrats on your biochemistry grade. :)

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Today was the most calm of any school day I experienced because of the holidays and Charlie. Plus I got gifts from my buddies in exchange for giving.

Wow, usually it's the last day of school before Christmas that's the most exciting and loud day, with the "oh my gosh, I'm not going to see you for two or three weeks" around the school and all. Of course, the gift-giving, too.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
There was a general but quiet sigh of relief today as the digital clock changed from 11:11 to 11:12 - most people didn't care. However, the day in general was a nice end to the term, apart from the maths test. Now I have to write two essays over the holidays, tweak another one, and read two books as well as do a pile of worksheets. Really hoping I can motivate myself to get it all done as soon as possible...

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
There was a general but quiet sigh of relief today as the digital clock changed from 11:11 to 11:12 - most people didn't care. However, the day in general was a nice end to the term, apart from the maths test. Now I have to write two essays over the holidays, tweak another one, and read two books as well as do a pile of worksheets. Really hoping I can motivate myself to get it all done as soon as possible...

It's slightly better that Christmas is a bit earlier into the break than usual. If you celebrate Christmas, that's one less thing to worry getting too excited about. I'm sure that fact will help a bit in motivating you to finish your intersession homework. :)

Kacho

You are next.
I did booboo on one of my class :(

time to see if I need to retake it.

but then the class next sem is filled already

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
It's slightly better that Christmas is a bit earlier into the break than usual. If you celebrate Christmas, that's one less thing to worry getting too excited about. I'm sure that fact will help a bit in motivating you to finish your intersession homework. :)

Yeah - fortunately I've found that I'm a lot better focussing myself on tasks than general revision, because they have an end point, if you see what I mean? As in, you can finish them before the due date, but revision you have to do right up until the "due date". My main bother I guess would be my English essay. It's usually just getting started, though. Another thing I like about having a late break-up is that it makes it seem like a shorter time until Christmas, because you're preoccupied with school.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Yeah - fortunately I've found that I'm a lot better focussing myself on tasks than general revision, because they have an end point, if you see what I mean? As in, you can finish them before the due date, but revision you have to do right up until the "due date". My main bother I guess would be my English essay. It's usually just getting started, though. Another thing I like about having a late break-up is that it makes it seem like a shorter time until Christmas, because you're preoccupied with school.

I find that there's no real place where revision can really "stop"; it just "discontinues" itself until it's needed again.

Having said that, yeah, it's better to get essays started on very early so that revision runs its full course. It'd be quite a shame if an essay only had its first two paragraphs revised because there could only be so much revision before the due date.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
I find that there's no real place where revision can really "stop"; it just "discontinues" itself until it's needed again.

Having said that, yeah, it's better to get essays started on very early so that revision runs its full course. It'd be quite a shame if an essay only had its first two paragraphs revised because there could only be so much revision before the due date.

Oh, sorry, by revision I meant like when you have a test and you study for it :p I think that's something we say more in Britain :)

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Oh, sorry, by revision I meant like when you have a test and you study for it :p I think that's something we say more in Britain :)

Fortunately, the same thing applies. Studying for a test is best done early, because cramming doesn't allow your brain to retain as much information as gradual studying. Plus, by studying from the very start, you get all the nitty-gritty details in case your teacher wants you to remember them. :)

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
And, I'm off for the semester! Two weeks of break, then one more semester of high school to go! And I already know that no one is giving a final second semester, expect maybe my AP Stats class. And I got an A+ in both AP Econ and AP Chem, so there goes two of my toughest classes.

Flame Mistress

Fortunately, the same thing applies. Studying for a test is best done early, because cramming doesn't allow your brain to retain as much information as gradual studying. Plus, by studying from the very start, you get all the nitty-gritty details in case your teacher wants you to remember them. :)

Maybe that explains why I almost always get over-average marks on tests even when I don't revise that much... because my brain automatically "revises" the contents when I first learn them? I don't have photographic memory, but I think I'm the kind of person who can just recall information when needed, but not very well when they're not.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Maybe that explains why I almost always get over-average marks on tests even when I don't revise that much... because my brain automatically "revises" the contents when I first learn them? I don't have photographic memory, but I think I'm the kind of person who can just recall information when needed, but not very well when they're not.

I'm like that, too. I basically forgot everything that I learned in ninth grade biology since I knew I wasn't going to need any of that. And that was only a year ago. o:

Flame Mistress

I'm like that, too. I basically forgot everything that I learned in ninth grade biology since I knew I wasn't going to need any of that. And that was only a year ago. o:

So a bit like my mum with German... XD

(Also, I just noticed that your surname in your sig is "Akiyama"... as in, "Kiyama"... ahahahaha never mind me I'm just being crazy as usual)