• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Ok, what's the best way to revise Biology, Spanish, History and Astronomy? Got GCSEs after end of term break!

Jinvaani

Ok, what's the best way to revise Biology, Spanish, History and Astronomy? Got GCSEs after end of term break!

I recommend one subject a day, 2 hours revision before lunch from now until the end of term.

It works for me. 2 hours (more if you can last it) is long enough to get some decent work done and isn't too overbearing. If you do it before lunch then you have the rest of the day (and lunch) to look forward to, and once you get through the break (I find breaks before exams to be a distraction) then you'll get more revision time in class.

Ugh, I have to find a Problem with Singapore, can anybody help me?
Singapore is perfect! You'll never find one!

Limited land and resources. I know that cos I live in Singapore :p

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo

BBC Bitesize is good, I find, although I don't think they have Astronomy. Maybe look into some CGP books if you haven't got those? I find them to be good revision guides, providing you can stomach some awful jokes. What I do is (this is for the Sciences, but you can do this for other subjects too) read the section and do the questions. If I get a question wrong I start from the beginning (of the questions) and keep doing that until I can answer all the questions without having to look. For Spanish I assume it's reading or listening? All you can really do there is practise and look over vocab, although that's a little hit and miss because you never know what's going to come up in those exams. Maybe for History you could make a timeline of events or causes for a particular historical event (e.g. WWII). It does all depend on which type of learner you are, though (although, in all cases, the brain works best through repetition).

Calamity™

aka Lamia

BBC bitesize is alright, but I prefer just reading through textbooks and my own class notes. The latter only being useful if you take good notes in class. Do this with your syllabus open, because you don't want to waste any time going over something that won't come up.

Anyway I'm trying to enjoy my last few days at home, but with tests coming up all at the same time, it's hard to do. I'm just revising from lecture notes and using software!

Although now that I think about it, subs like that are buttholes.
if you're so smart why are you a sub?
Some subs were originally teachers that just want to do it every once in a while. I had one for math that taught us a whole new lesson. Lol.

My old science teacher used to tell us that the only reason he wanted to teach was because he gets paid a rather decent amount and gets a summer break too.

Spookz

Lumos
Some subs were originally teachers that just want to do it every once in a while.
Or they can't get a teaching job because of whatever reason.. my mother ended up subbing for a few years because the economy was so bad. Essentially she has so much experience that her salary would have had to be higher than someone right out of school, so naturally schools were hiring the cheaper option.

I realize a lot of substitutes can be jerks or have an attitude or are wrong in a lot of instances (just like every other human being) but not all of them are necessarily too stupid for a full time teaching job.

diamondpearl876

Would you guys have any suggestions for a persuasive speech? I'd like to do something about birds (specifically cockatiels, but anything would work). I was going to write about the idea that cockatiels make good pets, but it has to be policy-based. ie. It should be illegal to sell cockatiels in non-bird specialized pet stores or something (but I can't find any sources for this). Any ideas? :D

Mewtwo152

Not dead yet.
That guy sounds cool. I wish I had him as a sub so we could hold an enlightening debate.
Oh, the problem is that he actually isn't smart. At all. He had to ask me how to spell "environmentalist".
if you're so smart why are you a sub?

Because they get paid more. (They actually do)

KickAsh

halted development
I don't usually enjoy my art class, mostly because of my teacher, who grades harshly. I also find myself unable to really enjoy the projects he assigns. I thought I would like it, but I don't.
Anyway, for the last two days we've been working with Photoshop. I've never used Photoshop before, and it's so fun.

Magnegross

peepee ding dong
My Chemistry teacher casually demonstrated what happens when you light magnesium metal on fire today. This is totally what it looks like:

[img139]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGfx6fsCazNjTnf9NUUVnkPbL4GDYoUBtbPHxdy_LJO9EvFmUBAaOc6cMY[/img139]

Kacho

You are next.
My Chemistry teacher casually demonstrated what happens when you light magnesium metal on fire today. This is totally what it looks like:

[img139]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGfx6fsCazNjTnf9NUUVnkPbL4GDYoUBtbPHxdy_LJO9EvFmUBAaOc6cMY[/img139]

LOL, youtube cesium and water

Hilijix

Back in Blue
My English 9 teacher told us about Literary terms with the power of Star Wars.

I find it funny when she asked who watched all of them, more girls raised their hands then boys (then again there were more girls in my class, 8 to at least 14).

Calamity™

aka Lamia
Would you guys have any suggestions for a persuasive speech? I'd like to do something about birds (specifically cockatiels, but anything would work). I was going to write about the idea that cockatiels make good pets, but it has to be policy-based. ie. It should be illegal to sell cockatiels in non-bird specialized pet stores or something (but I can't find any sources for this). Any ideas? :D

I take it that you'll be one of many people presenting in class, in which case you'd want to stand out from the others. You need to think about a few of the basics when it comes to presenting:

• How formal/informal can you make it?
  • How much background knowledge do you need on the subject?
  • How much is the audience supposed to already know?
  • Can you create interactions with the audience?
  • How will you keep the audience concentrated?

Obviously when it comes to language, you'll need to use a persuasive tone as that's your brief. I think you make a stronger argument when you look at both sides and explain why one side is stronger, and in this case, why people should not buy these birds from pet stores. Your main issue will most likely be keeping the audience concentrated, so you could use a lot of images, videos and perhaps even hand out some leaflets or throw out a few questions. Having such things for the audience to interact with means that you can speak less and they won't get bored from long speech. I've only mentioned a few basic things, so hopefully that should help you a bit.

diamondpearl876

I take it that you'll be one of many people presenting in class, in which case you'd want to stand out from the others. You need to think about a few of the basics when it comes to presenting:

• How formal/informal can you make it?
  • How much background knowledge do you need on the subject?
  • How much is the audience supposed to already know?
  • Can you create interactions with the audience?
  • How will you keep the audience concentrated?

Obviously when it comes to language, you'll need to use a persuasive tone as that's your brief. I think you make a stronger argument when you look at both sides and explain why one side is stronger, and in this case, why people should not buy these birds from pet stores. Your main issue will most likely be keeping the audience concentrated, so you could use a lot of images, videos and perhaps even hand out some leaflets or throw out a few questions. Having such things for the audience to interact with means that you can speak less and they won't get bored from long speech. I've only mentioned a few basic things, so hopefully that should help you a bit.

Your comments are helpful and I've thought about them. I can't interact with the audience too much, but with the experience of previous speeches, I think that I'll be fine in other areas. I just really need to come up with a topic that I can actually find sources for, something that I actually will put effort into writing about, something that the audience will be interested in (the teacher wants any background info needed to be presented in the speech itself, so I'm not too worried about what they know).

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
I don't usually enjoy my art class, mostly because of my teacher, who grades harshly. I also find myself unable to really enjoy the projects he assigns. I thought I would like it, but I don't.

This describes my Art class perfectly. I have a 10 hour exam starting the lesson I go back which is even worse.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo

We did that and we were told to close our eyes. It was still fun.