• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless

From this you can easily flow into whatever explanation you have. I don't know much about the subject (In England we don't get taught much about Martin Luther King) but a good essay will cover both a positive and a negative side. My history teacher (who I absolutely hated) taught us to structure essays like a burger (Did I mention he was pretty overweight and always used metaphors with food in?):

The Top Bun: The introduction needs to be easily to "eat" and soft ie- the reader shouldn't pick up your opinions just yet, but gets an overview on the information on the essays.
Cheese and Meat: Two paragraphs explaining the positive/negative side, or to what extent that event/person changed history.
Salad and bottom Cheese: Two paragraphs explaining the opposites of whatever the first paragraph was about. What was the limit to extent that persons influence was- did it make times harder or more difficult?
The Bottom Bun: A conclusion that isn't shoved down your throat- it gives your opinion, but gives the reader enough thought to make up their mind about the subject.

I hope this helpsish. It's made me hungry though.

lol It does. Thank you very much! :D

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Finished Year 10 and now I have 6 weeks off! Only one more academic year at school and I'm finished! Still not entirely sure what I'll do in College...

DMerle

Guess who's back
Finished Year 10 and now I have 6 weeks off! Only one more academic year at school and I'm finished! Still not entirely sure what I'll do in College...

Congrats man, always feels good to have a holiday. If your in English education (Which it sounds like you are.) Then next year there will be plenty of time to discuss with tutors, as well as various opening days where you'll learn about what the colleges and there courses offer, I'm confident you'll know this time next year what you want to do.

I hate summet reading. The whole point of vacation is to have a break from school, but they just give us more work to do over vacation. Oh well, they aren't that bad, I'm just worried that I'll forget everything I read when I have to take tests over them.

vespiqueen

I hate summet reading. The whole point of vacation is to have a break from school, but they just give us more work to do over vacation. Oh well, they aren't that bad, I'm just worried that I'll forget everything I read when I have to take tests over them.

This is the first year that I haven't been assigned summer reading, but I do remember hating it every other year. I never really liked the books that we were assigned :/

Spacial

procrastination
I've never been given any summer work, but one week ages ago when someone in my school had swine flu and it closed all week I was given a massive wad off stuff that I had to finish

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
This is the first year that I haven't been assigned summer reading, but I do remember hating it every other year. I never really liked the books that we were assigned :/

Between eighth and ninth-grade (which would be last year), the English teachers made us choose our own books.
Which I still don't like, as I hate choosing my own books on which to do essays and reports.
Only if I'm reading for fun do I appreciate the luxury of choosing my own book. But not for schoolwork! ):

FE21

Simple solution to your problem: Procrastinate reading them until the day before, and ta-da! Your Zorua evolved into Zoroark! I mean, the knowledge will be fresh...

vespiqueen

Between eighth and ninth-grade (which would be last year), the English teachers made us choose our own books.
Which I still don't like, as I hate choosing my own books on which to do essays and reports.
Only if I'm reading for fun do I appreciate the luxury of choosing my own book. But not for schoolwork! ):

I agree, being forced to read the book can definitely take away some of the enjoyment. The only book I've ever enjoyed reading for school was The Outsiders.

pirate555

Word.
Just back from a student nightclub, and feeling pretty awful. Two female friends came with me; one got ill from drunken-ness and the other one uncharacteristically wandered off with a stranger. Pretty unsure how to deal with the situation from here =S

Last edited:

Squirel Princess

Goldenrod City
Just back from a student nightclub, and feeling pretty awful. Two female friends came with me; one got ill from drunken-ness and the other one uncharacteristically wandered off with a stranger. Pretty unsure how to deal with the situation from here =S

lol nice.

just got finished with work study, two weeks til school starts. the laptop im required to have, the place my mom was buying it from got robbed clean, they dont know if im getting the one i picked out :/
since everyone is on the subject of summer reading, im getting to read hunger games again, i was going to read it anyway... now time to request it from tge library and hope i get it before school starts.
got my flute so i can be in band. gonna be nice to play again.
ap world civ... meh ill do it.
honors algebra 2 will be extremely hard the way everyone talks about it.

I officially am the biggest hater of summer reading....EVER. Ok, so my book was just ok, I could get through that. I had to answer 12 questions, just a bunch of one liners, no problem. But then we have to do a craft -.- What am I, 5 years old? We had to design an original book cover, which was a pain in the arse. Finally, 20 minutes ago, I finished, and am now done for the next year. HALLELUJAH!

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I officially am the biggest hater of summer reading....EVER. Ok, so my book was just ok, I could get through that. I had to answer 12 questions, just a bunch of one liners, no problem. But then we have to do a craft -.- What am I, 5 years old? We had to design an original book cover, which was a pain in the arse. Finally, 20 minutes ago, I finished, and am now done for the next year. HALLELUJAH!

I especially hate it when the teachers actually grade you on the quality of your art. I mean, come on, it's not art class, it's English! ):

Hey man, it's better than doing a report, a summary, and a description if you were the main character. But since I don't go there anymore all my summer consist of school-related is Spanish I.

Spacial

procrastination
A while ago we had to make autobiographies, but I totally failed and at ruined my chance of geting full marks in English, which is one of my best subjects

I especially hate it when the teachers actually grade you on the quality of your art. I mean, come on, it's not art class, it's English! ):

In 9th grade I had art even though I didn't want it, and I thought exactly the same thing. I especially got mad when my teacher drew a line and told me to make into something amazing, my brain just doesn't work that way. I actually ended up making an A because she loved my final, and I met some really cool people. I thought I would hate it, but I had a great time.