• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Some of my friends encouraged me to "pre-study" (as in, studying before school starts so you'll already be ahead of the class).

I'd do that, but I really don't have the motivation to do so... :/

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Cool, I went the evening before, and I saw him getting his medal! But he was on the other side of the stadium.... The screens helped though.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
For you two (and anyone else who lives near London), when school starts, you're all going to ask each other what Olympic events you guys went to, huh? :)

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Yeah, but I'm going to a new school where I know nobody so it might be going around... But I'll be too shy to ask people, see I'm nervous around people I don't know well.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Yeah, but I'm going to a new school where I know nobody so it might be going around... But I'll be too shy to ask people, see I'm nervous around people I don't know well.

Be brave and ask! Common interests is a great way to make new friends, right? :)

doodlecloud

Shiny Hunter
Am I the only London person on here who didn't go to the Olympics lol? I know a couple of friends and family members that went but most people I know haven't been either because they couldn't afford/get tickets or because they just aren't that fussed. I personally didn't go because I didn't really want to....I think someone did offer my family some tickets for Women's Football but we didn't go because it sounded lame. I'm really not that fussed about the Olympics...

Also don't be scared about starting a new school - it's great! If you're lucky you'll have a seating plan in different lessons so you'll basically be forced to talk to the same people. It can be daunting but once you start talking I'm sure things will be fine. I was the only person from my primary school to go to my secondary school but it was nice to get a fresh start. :)

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
But.........
In fact I need to be positive, so I guess I'll try and make some friends, except when I joined my junior school I could actually make friends by seeing whos game looked the most fun seven year olds are lame and that's how I made my friends, but now people don't play, people chat, and most people know others so they'll be hanging around them....

I am going to High school next month...I think on September 6th. Most people would be really nervous, but since I've gone over to the high school for a art program a couple times I'm not petrified. But I'm nervous, mainly for this reason:

I really don't know how I will tell the older student's that I have a disability...I have no trouble talking about my Autism online, but in real life it takes me a couple days to tell someone. It's a risky thing to do in high school, you risk being called stupid...or worse. (You all probably know what word I'm talking about) even though I'm not that at ALL. If I were that I wouldn't be even typing this. I really don't know what I'll do if I make a new friend and I try to tell them...any suggestions? Please be honest with your answer.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Well, in your signature it says you are most like rainbow dash. Rainbow dash is known for her loyalty. So you SHOULD tell your friends. And if they tease you about it and call you stupid you know that they aren't your true friends, a friend is a person who accepts and loves you the way you are and wouldn't want you to change. Also, true friends would stand up against the meanies who call you stupid and stuff. And I don't think you should try and te them by winding it into a conversation, it doesn't work that way. Just tell them outright.

I have no idea what the word you didn't say was....

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
But.........
In fact I need to be positive, so I guess I'll try and make some friends, except when I joined my junior school I could actually make friends by seeing whos game looked the most fun seven year olds are lame and that's how I made my friends, but now people don't play, people chat, and most people know others so they'll be hanging around them....

Aren't you 11? Why are you hanging out with 7-year-olds?

Anyway, plenty of people your age play video games. But people around your age - especially girls (I'm assuming you're a girl?) - are just starting to truly develop their social skills by talking. You need to join conversations and get to know people that way, and then you can find out who plays what games. My guess is it'll mostly be the guys, who you should also get to know by talking to them. But I do think that guys in middle school haven't really figured out what to do when a girl talks to them - especially a gamer girl. So that might be harder.

My advice is that you need to stop judging people by the games they play and talk to them first. You'll figure out who the gamers are; don't worry. But talk to people. It's an important skill to have.

I am going to High school next month...I think on September 6th. Most people would be really nervous, but since I've gone over to the high school for a art program a couple times I'm not petrified. But I'm nervous, mainly for this reason:

I really don't know how I will tell the older student's that I have a disability...I have no trouble talking about my Autism online, but in real life it takes me a couple days to tell someone. It's a risky thing to do in high school, you risk being called stupid...or worse. (You all probably know what word I'm talking about) even though I'm not that at ALL. If I were that I wouldn't be even typing this. I really don't know what I'll do if I make a new friend and I try to tell them...any suggestions? Please be honest with your answer.

In all honesty, Pikachu, you're starting your Freshman year of high school, and everyone in your grade is just coming out of middle school. You're going to meet a lot of stupid people who don't understand your Autism, and who will make fun of you for it. That's the blunt truth. It's going to happen. But you will also meet a lot of nice people who, after you tell them, will still accept you and want to be your friend. Please don't get discouraged by the jerks in high school. I'm sure you're very nice and you'll find plenty of really good friends. One of my close friends has a younger brother who is Autistic, and he had many friends in high school. He's in college now and I hear that he has a posse of girls who want to date him because he's really popular. No joke.

My advice to you is basically to get to know people - you're smart; you know who's a nice person and who's a jerk - and just be honest with the nice people about your autism. The nice people will still love you and accept you.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
1. I joined junior school when I was 7, so I was talking about then

2. IT'S A GIRLS SCHOOL IM GONNA DIIIIEEEE!!!!!!

4. Pokemon is dying in the uk (where I live) and not many people like it, let alone girls! So I'm afraid that if I tell people I like it they may call me lame, like at my junior school. But, when I went for a tour of the school, we went to languages classroom and in the Chinese/Japanese corner there was a booklet about Pokemon in Japanese. So at least one person likes it....

So I'm afraid that if I tell people I like it they may call me lame, like at my junior school.

Psh. Who cares? I'm a junior in highschool. Lol, no-one there actively plays it as much as I do. I feel great knowing I have a hobby, and not talking about boys or makeup. Just ignore them, they're the ones that need something to do.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
Psh. I talk about boys and play pokemon. If I didn't talk about boys, well, I'd only have one friend. Instead of like everyone, it's because I talk about boys I'm popular.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
4. Pokemon is dying in the uk (where I live) and not many people like it, let alone girls! So I'm afraid that if I tell people I like it they may call me lame, like at my junior school. But, when I went for a tour of the school, we went to languages classroom and in the Chinese/Japanese corner there was a booklet about Pokemon in Japanese. So at least one person likes it....

Just be open about your love for Pokémon!

There are going to be some people that call you lame. The fact that you and they are all around the same age group (11-13?) means that they're also trying to be more social, yes, but calling you "lame" for liking Pokémon isn't really going to get them anywhere. :/

Just talk to others and see what they like. If they see that the person they're talking to feels comfortable around them, then they'll feel comfortable accepting you. :)

Flame Mistress

1. I joined junior school when I was 7, so I was talking about then

2. IT'S A GIRLS SCHOOL IM GONNA DIIIIEEEE!!!!!!

Just a friendly word of advice: Don't be afraid to make friends. I was, and I completely missed out on the chance to make a best friend of any sort. Also, if you're going to a school where a lot of rich kids come to, if you don't have a BlackBerry, you are screwed, as I quickly found out.

In addition, people aren't gonna hate you for liking Pokémon. People know that I play Pokémon, and yet no one teases me fore it - he k, I even know someone who's a fan of Pokémon and draws fanart of Pokémon. I'm not saying that you should wear an "I LUV POGEYMANS" t-shirt to school every day, but they're not gonna hate you when they find out.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Just a friendly word of advice: Don't be afraid to make friends. I was, and I completely missed out on the chance to make a best friend of any sort. Also, if you're going to a school where a lot of rich kids come to, if you don't have a BlackBerry, you are screwed, as I quickly found out.

In addition, people aren't gonna hate you for liking Pokémon. People know that I play Pokémon, and yet no one teases me fore it - he k, I even know someone who's a fan of Pokémon and draws fanart of Pokémon. I'm not saying that you should wear an "I LUV POGEYMANS" t-shirt to school every day, but they're not gonna hate you when they find out.

Aren't BlackBerrys like... dead? I don't know, that's what I heard.
And "POGEYMANS?" Haha.

But yeah. Pokémon, like clothes, hair, pessimism, and basketball, is something that others like, too. Don't let the thought of how rare that interest may be keep you from becoming friends with others that share your interests.

Recon

When it comes to playing Pokemon, I've found that some people are MASSIVE hypocrites. They berate you for playing Pokemon, yet they also play it, sometimes even feverishly. That's when you have the upper hand and have fun calling them out on their hypocrisy.