• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

TheEliteEmpoleon

I had a Geometry test today, and it wasn't half as bad as I expected. The two-coumn proof was the only thing that stumped me for a while, but I'm confident that I actually got a 100, which is rare.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
So yesterday, we had a sub in AP Chemistry, and he wrote on the board what we needed to review for the test today. The list was:
mass percentage
empirical/molecular formula
JJ Thompson
Na

Nobody knew what he meant by reviewing Na, sodium. It turned out that number 4 on the test asked what color sodium is when burned. *facepalm*
I guessed yellow, which is the right answer, my reasoning being sodium sounds like a yellow element. :p

SmeargleRocks

Reputable Trader
Apparently I'm in a class I passed last year, the guidance counselor in school I have wants go get me out of it, its the only class I have that I REALLY like, I even told her that, I still have no say in the matter though, at least as far as I know

Turpoo

S|utbro
yes because the mark you get on a year 8 test is totally going to define your future right?

idiot

Actually it could, if I'm not mistaken in Australia (thats what your location says) year 8 is the 9th year of school, not sure if that includes kindergarten or not, but here in the U.S. Geometry is a Sophomore (10th grade people are normally 15-16) math class. Which that could effect the future, by if you fail it could effect what classes you get in, could effect future colleges(etc..) you would probably have to take the course over again, which would end up taking place of another class, but that is worst condition. Although failing a test can be encouraging, failing also can lead to more failing.

Kacho

You are next.
So yesterday, we had a sub in AP Chemistry, and he wrote on the board what we needed to review for the test today. The list was:
mass percentage
empirical/molecular formula
JJ Thompson
Na

Nobody knew what he meant by reviewing Na, sodium. It turned out that number 4 on the test asked what color sodium is when burned. *facepalm*
I guessed yellow, which is the right answer, my reasoning being sodium sounds like a yellow element. :p

Yeah, Flame Test is whole another thing for lol. Elements exhibit different colors (or in flame) because of their electron shells and something that I forget hahahahaha.

Flame Mistress

Yeah, Flame Test is whole another thing for lol. Elements exhibit different colors (or in flame) because of their electron shells and something that I forget hahahahaha.

So that's how it happens? Our Science teacher never explained how the metals gave off their colours, but then again we were only in Year 7.

Shade2000

Shade in Shades
yes because the mark you get on a year 8 test is totally going to define your future right?

idiot

Some guy who won some biology competition got like a D in his biology report and his teacher said "You would be mad to pursue anything that includes biology and the other sciences."

My Sciences teacher is awesome. I mean who can't say that a teacher who answers random questions about clones, mutations, world records and ties isn't cool.

monkeyman192

simply bored
So that's how it happens? Our Science teacher never explained how the metals gave off their colours, but then again we were only in Year 7.

When an atom is burned there is a transition into a higher energy state. On relaxation of the electron(s) to a lower energy shell they release a characteristic frequency photon depending on the initial and final energy levels.
There is lot of really interesting physics involved in transitions...
Another cool thing is that every element (and isotope) has a unique signature in the form of what colour it burns. Some might look the same to the naked eye, but using something called a spectrometer you can see the different frequencies released. This is one of the techniques used to categorize stars :p

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
This is an extra credit question on my chemistry homework:

Would Avogadro's number change if the definition of the atomic mass unit were changed from being based on carbon-12 to being based on carbon-14?

monkeyman192

simply bored
This is an extra credit question on my chemistry homework:

Would Avogadro's number change if the definition of the atomic mass unit were changed from being based on carbon-12 to being based on carbon-14?

if it were 12g of C-14, then yes

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
if it were 12g of C-14, then yes

How about if it were 14 g of carbon-14? I mean, they just arbitrarily defined 1 amu to be 1/12 the mass of a carbon-12 atom, so they could've just defined 1 amu to be 1/16 the mass of an oxygen-16 atom?

monkeyman192

simply bored
How about if it were 14 g of carbon-14? I mean, they just arbitrarily defined 1 amu to be 1/12 the mass of a carbon-12 atom, so they could've just defined 1 amu to be 1/16 the mass of an oxygen-16 atom?

so I don't just do your HW for you, try calculating what avogadro's number would be if you say took 14g of C-14... I'm sure if it is a bonus question the teacher will like to see some working out with the answer :)

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
so I don't just do your HW for you, try calculating what avogadro's number would be if you say took 14g of C-14... I'm sure if it is a bonus question the teacher will like to see some working out with the answer :)

If 12 g C-12 / NA = 1 actual amu, then 14 g C-14 / NA = 1 new amu.

I don't think Avogadro's number would change based on that... would it?

monkeyman192

simply bored
if C-14's mass was exactly 14u for the current definition of u, then it wouldn't change it, but C-14 doesn't weigh exactly 14u...

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
if C-14's mass was exactly 14u for the current definition of u, then it wouldn't change it, but C-14 doesn't weigh exactly 14u...

Yeah, but the question specifically says if the atomic mass unit were changed to be 1/14 of the mass of one C-14 atom instead of 1/12 of the mass of one C-12 atom.

So it wouldn't change based on that hypothetical situation, right?

monkeyman192

simply bored
Yeah, but the question specifically says if the atomic mass unit were changed to be 1/14 of the mass of one C-14 atom instead of 1/12 of the mass of one C-12 atom.

So it wouldn't change based on that hypothetical situation, right?

Hmm, yeah, I think you are correct and I was thinking about it the wrong way...

vespiqueen

I had a Geometry test today, and it wasn't half as bad as I expected. The two-coumn proof was the only thing that stumped me for a while, but I'm confident that I actually got a 100, which is rare.

Congrats :) I love the feeling you get when you think you did good.
I took a Chemistry test the other day and I know I didn't get a 100, but I still think I did pretty good compared to how I usually do :D

The Wallflower

I'll tickle ur fancy
Just got done with the week right after Homecoming/Spirit week. It was kinda boring and I had tests/quizzes in like every class because yesterday was the end of the marking period and none of my teachers gave out tests/quizzes on Spirit week ._. Glad that's over.

I miss Spirit week, I participated in all the dress up days, went to the tailgate/football game and the dance. Now it's back to boring/repitive school. At least I'm starting to get to know new people at lunch, which is fun

PokeTrainerJay

High in the Sky
Going on an Art trip on Monday to see 2 Tate galleries -.- Fun. Then non-uniform day on Tuesday and then I come in for like 20 minutes on Weds then I break up for the October break. Annoying thing is that I have to wear my uniform for about 30 minutes in the whole of next week... (on Weds)