• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Six? Weeks? WHAT?!

The average school in England only gets like two weeks. This is just ridiculous.

The perks of going to college in the United States. ; )

Actually, I usually get closer to four weeks, but it just so happens that I'm getting out a little earlier this year, and not going back until about a week later than normal (towards the end of January). Most middle schools and high schools only get two or three weeks, though, at least where I live.

(Oh, and, congratulations on the A's!)

Thanks, I appreciate it!

Actually, writing about video games can be quite great to write about, if that's really something that you think is important to you. I didn't apply for Harvard, so I don't know about that one, specifically, if that's any different. Though I hear that colleges rather you write what you want them to know about you, and not what you think they want to know about you. I wrote about video games for one of my statements, and I had it revised by my English teachers and some friends. They said it was a fantastic representation of who I am, and my current teacher, who hates video games, found it very interesting to read. Of course, I didn't apply to very many colleges, and I won't know of my acceptance until March, so I can't be 100% confident yet.

That sounds good o.o what about videogames did you write? but yeah, I'm having writer's block now, can't think of anything to write about, and even when I do, I run out of ideas to write about. I planned on writing about being a fob, being out of the normal crowd, and not staying in one area for more than 4 years, it's tough for me lol

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
That sounds good o.o what about videogames did you write? but yeah, I'm having writer's block now, can't think of anything to write about, and even when I do, I run out of ideas to write about. I planned on writing about being a fob, being out of the normal crowd, and not staying in one area for more than 4 years, it's tough for me lol

I wrote about me being the kind of person who never stood out, playing Pokemon all the time and not really excelling as a young kid. That is, until high school where my grades changed everyone's view of me. I used that basis to talk about how I'm still that guy who plays Pokemon, meaning that while many parts of my personality changes to be the smart guy type, the fact that I still play Pokemon presents it as a key part of my personality. The readers should be able to see by the fact that I was so bold to write about it to begin with.

The thing that made it easy to write was that I chose one idea and stuck with developing the one I'm the most proud of. I'm sure it's different to figure things out for different people. For me, I have an advantage in class rank that makes my personality appear unconventional for someone with such a high class rank. I know not everyone has that to their advantage, so you'd have to find something else to capitalize on if you don't have that edge. But everyone has something - it's just a matter of figuring out how you want to present yourself and what you find that really is one-of-a-kind. I know this may not give any specific idea, but I hope it gives you an idea on how to approach the essay, if you didn't already know.

Moneyy

INACTIVE
I just realized that the last day before my winter break starts is also the day the "world is supposed to end." Damn it. Also, all my whining about trigonometry in this thread has finally paid off; I got a 100% on the test.

Recon

Personally, I wrote about my radical change from middle school to high school. In middle school I was a lonely, depressed and hateful teenager who didn't care about anything. Just staying quiet in class, getting good grades, putting up a facade by playing the fool, and generally being the target of much teasing. Once I hit high school, I found people I could socialize with and eventually I slowly developed a positive personality.

The changes I experienced was very important in my mind and I was glad I could finally express it. I do still look back at those days in middle school with sadness and regret but I felt through that I've become a stronger person.

With my transcript and the essay I wrote, I was able to get into all but one school I applied to which I was put on the waitlist for. I eventually was told I would be accepted, but I declined choosing a different school to go to. But overall, you should write about some personal trait or experience that you feel strongly about which has influenced your life in a strong way.

I wrote about me being the kind of person who never stood out, playing Pokemon all the time and not really excelling as a young kid. That is, until high school where my grades changed everyone's view of me. I used that basis to talk about how I'm still that guy who plays Pokemon, meaning that while many parts of my personality changes to be the smart guy type, the fact that I still play Pokemon presents it as a key part of my personality. The readers should be able to see by the fact that I was so bold to write about it to begin with.

The thing that made it easy to write was that I chose one idea and stuck with developing the one I'm the most proud of. I'm sure it's different to figure things out for different people. For me, I have an advantage in class rank that makes my personality appear unconventional for someone with such a high class rank. I know not everyone has that to their advantage, so you'd have to find something else to capitalize on if you don't have that edge. But everyone has something - it's just a matter of figuring out how you want to present yourself and what you find that really is one-of-a-kind. I know this may not give any specific idea, but I hope it gives you an idea on how to approach the essay, if you didn't already know.

I mean my class rank is pretty decent ish too, but then my SAT scores are crap, but yeah, I see what you're saying, I was thinking of adding pokemon for a small little chuckle, but this might've given me an idea. But yeah, still tough to write about something. I mean I can do the same thing, since this girl said I look like someone with bad grades and stuff XD but yeah, still not sure how to put it in essay form, it sounds great in my head but then on paper it's like LOLno

John Madden

resident policy guy
FINALS ARE OVER

GOT PREPOSTEROUSLY DRUNK

now to wait for midnight tonight for HOBBIT TIME

Kacho

You are next.
Two more finals to go!
Picking up my Ochem final tomorrow...

I sent an application today to the College I want to go to. I'm hoping to do IT BTEC Extended for 2 years.

Information Technology? Biotechnology? lol.

I probably won't remember to see this post. so uh... post on my profile or something :p

Liz21

Two more finals to go!
Picking up my Ochem final tomorrow...

Good luck! I took my Ochem final already, but I won't ever know the grade on it, just my overall grade for the class. Kind of glad, haha.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I mean my class rank is pretty decent ish too, but then my SAT scores are crap, but yeah, I see what you're saying, I was thinking of adding pokemon for a small little chuckle, but this might've given me an idea. But yeah, still tough to write about something. I mean I can do the same thing, since this girl said I look like someone with bad grades and stuff XD but yeah, still not sure how to put it in essay form, it sounds great in my head but then on paper it's like LOLno

Well, I'm glad to see I might have helped a little bit, even if it's not much. My SAT scores aren't the greatest either, or at least for someone with my class rank. I missed my goal by by 20 points, so that's annoying me, even if it was a bit ambitious for someone who didn't bother to study for the SAT. But it's too late to worry about that anymore. :p Good luck with you essay, however you decide to write it.

Well, I'm glad to see I might have helped a little bit, even if it's not much. My SAT scores aren't the greatest either, or at least for someone with my class rank. I missed my goal by by 20 points, so that's annoying me, even if it was a bit ambitious for someone who didn't bother to study for the SAT. But it's too late to worry about that anymore. :p Good luck with you essay, however you decide to write it.
I missed my goal by 100 lol and yeah, it's too late now, but yeah thanks, hope we get to colleges we want...all that's left to say is:

LEEEROY JEEEENKINS

Hilijix

Back in Blue
I haven't been on here for a long time. Need to check up on this thread every once in a while. But anyhow, for once, I got an A on a French test! ... Just to have a French quiz five minutes later which I probably did bad on. Five questions, and two completely escaped me. It was about reading, too. I was too tired from the night before to properly read the whole packet.

Kacho

You are next.
I've posted this on so many forums already that I am on..

BUT I GOT A B! On my Ochem 1 final! I got all of that mechanism and synthesis! :D

John Madden

resident policy guy
Code:
Class		Description				Units	Grading		Grade	Grade Points
ECON 4001.01	Intermediate Microeconomic Theory	3.00	Graded A-E
ECON 4140	Economic History of the Americas	3.00	Graded A-E	A-	11.100
GEOG 3900	Global Climate Change and Consequences	3.00	Graded A-E	 	 
GEOG 5220	Fundamentals of GIS			3.00	Graded A-E	A-	11.100
SOCIOL 2202	Social Problems				3.00	Graded A-E	A	12.000

there is no chance i'm not on the dean's list this semester

i am playing all kinds of victory music

Last edited: