• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Compass

Don't need roads.
Having a huge brain fart. I can convert things to metric no problem in the context of pharmacy but when it's presented as a really wordy math problem my brain just....
doesn't wanna

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
What fun. I just arrived to my next class to find the police are here. I was sure it was because maybe they were going to be used in a project, but then one of my classmates told me he heard something about audio equipment being stolen. All I could think of was that the audio people always seem to get the short end of the stick. Sure, in the equipment room, things are starting to fall apart/get old/misplaced, but I hadn't heard of anything being stolen, at least not while I've been here.

Wonder what's going to happen now. I don't think it'll affect the film and video department, but still, I don't think we are in the best of times to be replacing missing/stolen items. The school is scheduled to close in 2016 because of lack of funding, after all.

ThatYellowGuy

So the housemate who threw the party on Tuesday evening moved out on Wednesday. Now on the eve of my final exam, another flatmate throws another party. I really cannot wait to leave.

John Madden

resident policy guy
lol lucky . i cant wait to enjoy the summer vacation

lol stop showing off. .some of us are still at school, but enjoy the freedom. even if other people cant.

what i didn't mention is that i still have 3 weeks left of this internship in ottawa

speaking of which, the program director wants to talk to me tomorrow morning outside my office and im currently absolutely PANICKING trying to figure out what he could want to talk to me about

Paradoxe

not actually psychic
what i didn't mention is that i still have 3 weeks left of this internship in ottawa

speaking of which, the program director wants to talk to me tomorrow morning outside my office and im currently absolutely PANICKING trying to figure out what he could want to talk to me about

He's in love with you and is going to propose

Armando Payne

I've got a few weeks to go then hopefully I'll be going to Uni. (I'm currently in English College which is essentially like a stepping stone between Secondary Schools (High Schools) and Universities (College)

Compass

Don't need roads.
My sociology class is so freaking dumb I'm thinking of dropping it. The text books get stuff wrong on LGBT stuff, half my classmates are homophobes, and the only saving grace is that it's an online course. I'm probably going to ditch it for some sort of tech or extra literature class because ugh

ThatYellowGuy

I've got a few weeks to go then hopefully I'll be going to Uni. (I'm currently in English College which is essentially like a stepping stone between Secondary Schools (High Schools) and Universities (College)

Which Uni out of curiosity?

I got incredibly lucky with my final exam. The very first question I knew and was so simple and the second one had been on a previous exam which I had looked at exactly an hour earlier. Now it is time to pack up all of my stuff to go home - it is going to be a loooong evening.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
My sociology class is so freaking dumb I'm thinking of dropping it. The text books get stuff wrong on LGBT stuff, half my classmates are homophobes, and the only saving grace is that it's an online course. I'm probably going to ditch it for some sort of tech or extra literature class because ugh

What does the textbook say that's wrong?

Aegon

My classes finished today (and yet my English teacher succeeded in giving us homework. That ******.), but I've got a French oral on Monday and an Irish oral on Tuesday to look forward to. Then, the rest of the week will be comprised of seven exams. I'm ever so slightly going out of my mind.

Compass

Don't need roads.
What does the textbook say that's wrong?
[WALL OF TRANSGENDER INFO INCOMING]

It refers to transgender individuals by their sex and not their gender. and puts their actual gender in quotation marks. It makes me. so mad.

Protip: if someone is trans, refer to them by the gender they ask you to call them by. Transwomen are not "women", they're women. They are not men. They're not "Crossdressing men". That would be crossdressing men, which are not transwomen because they do not identify as women. It is ridiculously simple but this book is being transphobic to a stupid extent. Then it goes on to use examples that are mindbogglingly offensive, like how only after surgery "They should be considered women" which is also incorrect. Some transwomen and transmen never get surgery but identify as their correct gender regardless.

Basically the book has no idea that biological sex does not equal gender. And it's from 2006 (the textbook). It should really, REALLY know better if it's sociology related.
Here's a better video demonstrating why that thought process is incorrect (has some bad words and talking about sexuality and gender):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRcPXtqdKjE

I don't want to nerd out too hard but it's really hard not to as a transguy myself. :T Basically: if someone says they're a girl, refer to them as she, even if their anatomy is not biologically female. Vice versa if someone says they are a boy. Not a difficult concept but people constantly refer to trans individuals as the incorrect gender based on what they know in science class and don't ever think that maybe your gender is more complex than that.
Doesn't help that I'm in a very conservative area so you can just imagine the "students write your own opinion of the lesson" section. And I have to REPLY to someone else's opinion. I really would rather stab myself in both eyeballs than read what they have to say when the last one of those I read literally mentioned "praying the gay away". Ugghhhhh.

/nerd nerd nerd. Message me if you have any questions about it, as I don't want to derail the topic further.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Today I had a test today on a book I never read, and I had three weeks to read it. I'm still pretty certain I got at least a 90% though, because I'm truly the procrastination master.

JD

I have to take SAT's next Saturday.. I'm not looking forward to it too much my parents got me an SAT book but I only work in it every once in a while I'll probably retake the test in Fall. Anyway can some help me revise my research paper thesis it has to be reworded and more concise
Additionally, Hurricane Katrina was a tragedy despite predicting the storm it had a large environmental and economic impact that is still in the stage of recovery Hurricane Katrina without a doubt was one of the most destructive Atlantic Hurricanes of all time.

mtqc

MY BEANS!
[WALL OF TRANSGENDER INFO INCOMING]

It refers to transgender individuals by their sex and not their gender. and puts their actual gender in quotation marks. It makes me. so mad.

Protip: if someone is trans, refer to them by the gender they ask you to call them by. Transwomen are not "women", they're women. They are not men. They're not "Crossdressing men". That would be crossdressing men, which are not transwomen because they do not identify as women. It is ridiculously simple but this book is being transphobic to a stupid extent. Then it goes on to use examples that are mindbogglingly offensive, like how only after surgery "They should be considered women" which is also incorrect. Some transwomen and transmen never get surgery but identify as their correct gender regardless.

Basically the book has no idea that biological sex does not equal gender. And it's from 2006 (the textbook). It should really, REALLY know better if it's sociology related.
Here's a better video demonstrating why that thought process is incorrect (has some bad words and talking about sexuality and gender):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRcPXtqdKjE

I don't want to nerd out too hard but it's really hard not to as a transguy myself. :T Basically: if someone says they're a girl, refer to them as she, even if their anatomy is not biologically female. Vice versa if someone says they are a boy. Not a difficult concept but people constantly refer to trans individuals as the incorrect gender based on what they know in science class and don't ever think that maybe your gender is more complex than that.
Doesn't help that I'm in a very conservative area so you can just imagine the "students write your own opinion of the lesson" section. And I have to REPLY to someone else's opinion. I really would rather stab myself in both eyeballs than read what they have to say when the last one of those I read literally mentioned "praying the gay away". Ugghhhhh.

/nerd nerd nerd. Message me if you have any questions about it, as I don't want to derail the topic further.

Pardon my butting in, but holy crap. How did that get past editors? That's just outrageous. Putting the genders in quotes like they're fake and don't matter... I haven't even read the book and I'm feeling my blood boil B( Can you complain about it? I would feel so uncomfortable in that situation if I was trans*... hell, I'd feel uncomfortable no matter what, that's really bad x___x

On topic, finished school a couple of weeks ago, still waiting on my grades. Not sure how they'll turn out but I'm hoping for As. I think I'll get a couple of Bs as well though, but I suppose it could be worse. I took 6 classes last semester, 5 of which were 1.5 hours long and all on the same three days. I went to school at 7 AM and got out at 9 PM. Ridiculous.

SlimShady

Kill your heroes
I'm majoring in psychology,, but what's a good minor for it? I'm good with numbers, and I like computers. I hate programming.
I'm really getting agitated not knowing what to pursue as a career.

flamebeam

DAYN-JUH ZONE!
I'm majoring in psychology,, but what's a good minor for it? I'm good with numbers, and I like computers. I hate programming.

you can minor in whatever you want. it doesn't have to do anything with your major. it's supposed to be something you're interested in besides your major

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo

You could do a language, maybe? A lot of people get ruled out of jobs because there are similar candidates but who have another language as well.