• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Aegon

I found out today that my English teacher has retired. I'm feeling quite ambivalent. On one hand, he was an utter d**k and made going to school a painful experience (I happened to have him every year, of course). But yet he knew what he was doing with the material we need to know. As this is my final year, I'm very worried about the capability of his replacement, whoever that turns out to be.

ebevan91

I found out today that my English teacher has retired. I'm feeling quite ambivalent. On one hand, he was an utter d**k and made going to school a painful experience (I happened to have him every year, of course). But yet he knew what he was doing with the material we need to know. As this is my final year, I'm very worried about the capability of his replacement, whoever that turns out to be.

Replacements usually suck the first year or two they teach, especially if students had the predecessor and are going to be stuck with the new guy for a year or two.

One of my teachers died during the school year and his replacement was a jerk. Went from an A in the class to barely making a C.

Grey Wind

Replacements usually suck the first year or two they teach, especially if students had the predecessor and are going to be stuck with the new guy for a year or two.
That's a bit of a blanket statement to make, don't you think? I mean, newer teachers sometimes have trouble controlling a class because of their inexperience with the school, but I wouldn't say that every replacement is awful. I know my french teacher left for a couple of months one year and the guy that replaced her was ten times better. It just depends on what the teacher is like, not the fact that they're a replacement.

ebevan91

That's a bit of a blanket statement to make, don't you think? I mean, newer teachers sometimes have trouble controlling a class because of their inexperience with the school, but I wouldn't say that every replacement is awful. I know my french teacher left for a couple of months one year and the guy that replaced her was ten times better. It just depends on what the teacher is like, not the fact that they're a replacement.

I said replacements usually suck, there can be some good ones that slip through.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
If you're in college, I recommend you use your dorm as a home base. Take only what you need, drop off what you have and pick up what you need between classes. If you have two classes in a row, take both those books. Long story short, do what you can.

I pretty much do that, but I have my laptop in my backpack most of the time and I brought my textbooks for the first day of class. I probably won't have to bring my books with me very often later though. Textbooks are really heavy.

I had to read an incredibly dense article today. What is it about academic literature from the 80s that is so boring? =/

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Another victory for my school's volleyball team tonight! Although, to be fair, the other team was lousy. And I mean LOUSY. The game didn't last more than 45 minutes...

First AP Physics test tomorrow on motion! I'm slightly terrified, even though I know I know the material. I want to study for it some more just in case, but I've got Waka Waka stuck in my head, and that doesn't help me sit still long enough to study.

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
Another victory for my school's volleyball team tonight! Although, to be fair, the other team was lousy. And I mean LOUSY. The game didn't last more than 45 minutes...

First AP Physics test tomorrow on motion! I'm slightly terrified, even though I know I know the material. I want to study for it some more just in case, but I've got Waka Waka stuck in my head, and that doesn't help me sit still long enough to study.
Damn college-level tests.
If you're confident in the material, but you're feeling nervous, I would enjoy the rest of the day with your Waka Waka (what is this? xD). As someone who studies often and gets slightly terrified before big tests like this, I've never found it useful to study the day before. Go do something relaxing, and fun!

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
This is my Waka Waka! :D

I kind of took it easy last night, and I have to say: it wasn't too big of a deal. There was one question, though, that caused me so much trouble! I guessed the right answer in the end, but I still don't understand how to do it. And I made one or two stupid simple mistakes, so I think I'm looking at a 75-80. Overall, I'm not that worried.

You guys, I'm so excited for this year! What with Pokemon X and Y, youth group, and clubs, I can tell it's going to be great!

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
Awesome, good going! (listening to your Waka Waka as I type this)
Are you heading into your senior year of high school? Which clubs do you want to get involved in?
hahah, I'm going to have to take Y and X in moderation when I go back.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Awesome, good going! (listening to your Waka Waka as I type this)
Are you heading into your senior year of high school? Which clubs do you want to get involved in?
hahah, I'm going to have to take Y and X in moderation when I go back.

Thanks! :D haha I guarantee you'll be humming the chorus for a while. I don't know all of the Spanish in it, but the parts I do know are really fun to sing along to!
Yep! This is my third week, and it seems a little overwhelming at times. Others, though, I have so much free time that I have no idea what to do with it.
No kidding! I'm actually planning on setting aside that whole Saturday just to play the game! Hopefully, that will prevent me from being tempted to play it during the week. :/

McNugget

The Bassist
Day 11 of the IB Program...

I already have 3 F's in English.

Normally I would be ashamed but nobody is doing well.
I feel like it'd be better if our teacher wasn't so cryptic with instructions.

"Today we're taking notes for an essay you won't write. Anything related to the book."

PokemonXY

#PokemonXY
I'm not ready for High School... I hate how the Grade 9's have to go next Tuesday and everyone in Gr. 10, 11, 12 gets to start on Wednesday. I'm already waiting for Gr. 10 meanwhile I'm already worried I'll get mugged walking in Gr. 9.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
I'm not ready for High School... I hate how the Grade 9's have to go next Tuesday and everyone in Gr. 10, 11, 12 gets to start on Wednesday. I'm already waiting for Gr. 10 meanwhile I'm already worried I'll get mugged walking in Gr. 9.

Why not take the bus...? It's got to be a lot safer than walking to school.

Day 11 of the IB Program...

I already have 3 F's in English.

Normally I would be ashamed but nobody is doing well.
I feel like it'd be better if our teacher wasn't so cryptic with instructions.

"Today we're taking notes for an essay you won't write. Anything related to the book."

Glad I'm not the only one who has a frustrating English teacher! It's the third week of school, and I've barely learned anything in AP Literature...

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Glad I'm not the only one who has a frustrating English teacher! It's the third week of school, and I've barely learned anything in AP Literature...

Yeah, you don't tend to learn much since AP Literature is more about applying what you learned in AP Language to works of literature. I loved the class, but there's not much new to learn. I'm quite annoyed I only got a 3 on that exam, though.

My classes finally start tomorrow, though, and I'm ready, I think. Physics at 9:30 and Chemistry seminar at 2:00, so not an overloaded start. I also made sure to check where my classes are, so I'm set.

Manafi's Dream

フェアリータイプタイム
Yeah, you don't tend to learn much since AP Literature is more about applying what you learned in AP Language to works of literature. I loved the class, but there's not much new to learn. I'm quite annoyed I only got a 3 on that exam, though.

My classes finally start tomorrow, though, and I'm ready, I think. Physics at 9:30 and Chemistry seminar at 2:00, so not an overloaded start. I also made sure to check where my classes are, so I'm set.

How did you do on the AP Lang one? I'm just worried that if you did really well on the Lang one and made a 3 on the Lit one, I'll probably follow the same pattern. I don't really expect to learn much new stuff, but it wouldn't hurt to read a little more rather than talk... He'll go off onto 30 minute tangents about things and get almost no reading done whatsoever.

Good luck!! You sound prepared! :)

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
How did you do on the AP Lang one? I'm just worried that if you did really well on the Lang one and made a 3 on the Lit one, I'll probably follow the same pattern. I don't really expect to learn much new stuff, but it wouldn't hurt to read a little more rather than talk... He'll go off onto 30 minute tangents about things and get almost no reading done whatsoever.

Good luck!! You sound prepared! :)

I got a 3 in both, which bothers me because my college only accepts 1 of them. A 4 in Lit would have gotten me out of one semester of English, while getting a 3 in either just covers a basic introductory level test. And I see your problem. My class spent more time reading or discussing that reading, with an essay each week or two, more often than not. Simplified summary of my class there, with vocabulary quizzes added for good measure.

And yup, except I don't have my books. Only Physics and Math have a text, though, and I can go without one until Monday/Tuesday, so I can just get them tomorrow.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
Five days left until school...

D:

Darth Sabreus

Want to get a soda?
I'm on Uni break at the moment. We have two weeks off starting a couple of days ago. I was on a geography field trip for the first 3 days. Leading up to it, I wasn't too keen on going since it was during our break, but after we came back I had no regrets. We got to do lots of practical things like beach profiles, looking at soil horizons and my favourite was getting into a stream and measuring water flow using a flow meter. It was great since I got amongst it and learned a lot.

Since we got back, I had the longest sleep since forever (around 10.5 hours) and woke up at around 11.a.m. I have no idea why I decided to go to bed at midnight, though I was playing Emerald after a 3 day hiatus :p. My plan is to take the rest of today off, then head into the city tomorrow to hand in my assignment and get my shiny Dialga. I also want to see my friend tomorrow, she is going back home for the Uni break and I wanted to see her before she went. She was one of eight people in my cabin on the trip, so it's not like I haven't seen her for a while, more that I want to see her before she goes.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Well, I don't know whether to look forward to or to dread Y11.

I am looking forward to working as hard as possible to get as many Bs as possible in my final exams, and to do as well as I can throughout the year. I know how bad it could be to get bad grades, particularly in this day and age, so I want to avoid any D grades.

What am I dreading? I am dreading the fact that most of the people I know will be heading to a College instead of our Sixth Form. I will miss a lot of them very much, but I will make the most of the people I encounter at sixth form (if I do well to get in, anyways).