• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I took my first college test a week ago and got the results back. It was in Introduction to Fine Arts (I'm a Nursing Major but I have to have one fine arts course as the State mandates this).

I got a 126 out of 200. Not stellar but not horrible, considering I never did not study all that well for it.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
I have soooo much reading to do. I really wish I had more problems to do and less reading.

The first batch of tests at Uni are coming up in less than a month, the first week of October. I've already began preparations for them. They're only going to be mocks, the real thing is in January, but I want to do good, doesn't make sense taking it for granted.

ebevan91

I'm taking Invertebrate Biology this semester, and we have to catch 50 different invertebrates.

If thats not bad enough, we have to freeze them, and pin them on a collection display ...

I dont even know why i chose this subject ...

I had to do that in a high school biology class many years ago. Except it wasn't 50, more like 20 and we had a partner.

Rakansen

ラルフ
I'm taking Invertebrate Biology this semester, and we have to catch 50 different invertebrates.

If thats not bad enough, we have to freeze them, and pin them on a collection display ...

That reminds me of when my little sister was in first grade six years ago (FIRST GRADE!!). She had this project where she had to catch several bugs and pin them down to a piece of styrofoam.

We caught a grasshopper, pinned it down, and it was still alive for a few days...

Yeah.

:::

I'm so happy tomorrow's Friday! It is also the first day of the gamers' club, so that's interesting. I won't be at school though on Monday because we have to go down to SoCal to drop off my older sister who's going to college now.

Tiffany

Staff member
Super Mod
I apply in less than two weeks and I'm like !!! because money and ugh

Kamran11

I actually like learning, i read plenty of books for fun and to educate myself, and i enjoy learning from others and experiences, but school really depresses me im a senior in high school. I plan on going to college but i really dont know how im gonna stick it out .

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects

Collecting the specimens isn't the difficult part (generally speaking, and Varamus provided a lengthy list of catchable critters. Personally, I love invertebrates and handle them often). The difficult part for me would be killing the specimens for display. .___. If I step on a snail, I cry.

That reminds me of when my little sister was in first grade six years ago (FIRST GRADE!!). She had this project where she had to catch several bugs and pin them down to a piece of styrofoam.

We caught a grasshopper, pinned it down, and it was still alive for a few days...

Yeah.
Which is precisely why the specimens must be killed before the pinning process :B

I actually like learning, i read plenty of books for fun and to educate myself, and i enjoy learning from others and experiences, but school really depresses me im a senior in high school. I plan on going to college but i really dont know how im gonna stick it out .
What aspect of school is depressing? Sincerely, academic duress can get me down in the dumps, when numerous responsibilities stretch me out too thin, like "butter spread over too much bread." Most students relate, and more importantly, in time, we learn to adjust.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus

Yeah, you avoid that by soaking a cotton ball in ethanol, putting the cotton ball in a bottle with a cap, and then putting the insects in the bottle. That will kill them, and then you're not torturing them when you pin them down.

Collecting the specimens isn't the difficult part (generally speaking, and Varamus provided a lengthy list of catchable critters. Personally, I love invertebrates and handle them often). The difficult part for me would be killing the specimens for display. .___. If I step on a snail, I cry.

I'm the same way. I'm a biologist and I love all bugs and invertebrates, but it's hard for me to kill them :( But you have to do it if you want to learn about them.

Peter Quill

star-lord
University is actually so much work and all the other first year students are feeling it.

So glad I'm taking French and German this semester or else I'd be dead with an actual 5 course load.

ebevan91

Ugh... one of my online classes hasn't posted any assignments in the last 2 weeks. I wonder what the deal is. I almost forgot I was taking that class because of that.

Kamran11

What aspect of school is depressing? Sincerely, academic duress can get me down in the dumps, when numerous responsibilities stretch me out too thin, like "butter spread over too much bread." Most students relate, and more importantly, in time, we learn to adjust.

Pretty much the academic pressure gets overwhelming for me and im trying to maintain good grades ,but i really have a hard time adjusting to how these teachers teach. Example: Im pretty shy and it makes me very anxious in many situations, but some teachers base their class on participation(presentations, asking questions) and discussion which is difficult for me.

crobatman

One thing I want to get is a Tablet, but there are so many out in the market. I think they can be good for school, due to their portability. They weigh less than laptops too. I am considering an iPad Mini.

However, what do you guys think is the best tablet? Is there a tablet better than the iPad?

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
Yeah, you avoid that by soaking a cotton ball in ethanol, putting the cotton ball in a bottle with a cap, and then putting the insects in the bottle. That will kill them, and then you're not torturing them when you pin them down.

I'm the same way. I'm a biologist and I love all bugs and invertebrates, but it's hard for me to kill them :( But you have to do it if you want to learn about them.
I am currently revising an arthropod identification guide. The project abstains from killing the specimen before study and photography, so its process is almost entirely catch and release. But it's only prolonging the inevitable - sometime soon, I know I will have to set out pitfall traps and kill the specimens myself.

Pretty much the academic pressure gets overwhelming for me and im trying to maintain good grades ,but i really have a hard time adjusting to how these teachers teach. Example: Im pretty shy and it makes me very anxious in many situations, but some teachers base their class on participation(presentations, asking questions) and discussion which is difficult for me.
Mmmm as an introvert myself, I completely understand. Speaking to a crowd is difficult; actually, most people don't find it easy, and some are just good at being able to hide or subdue the nervous turmoil within. But don't let your situation in senior year dampen your optimism for the future. College is much different than high school. You have the ability to take classes more suited to your liking, and I have never taken a discussion-intensive class. You will find there are probably internships available which entail constructive interaction with other people that is fun, not daunting or stressful. What are you interested in studying?

crobatman

Oh yeah, I am Biology graduate too. I really enjoyed my studies. The field classes were way better than the lab classes in my opinion. I loved being able to outside the normal classroom. I had a research project to measure the Electrochemistry between Ponds and Streams. It was fun! We got to shock fish, get samples of sediments, measure dissolved oxygen content. Biology is amazing!

Right now, I am pursuing a Masters of Public Health in Nutrition. The classes are all online, so that gives me a chance to find a job somewhere. I really trying to boos up my resume. I WANT A JOB!

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
Oh yeah, I am Biology graduate too. I really enjoyed my studies. The field classes were way better than the lab classes in my opinion. I loved being able to outside the normal classroom. I had a research project to measure the Electrochemistry between Ponds and Streams. It was fun! We got to shock fish, get samples of sediments, measure dissolved oxygen content. Biology is amazing!

Right now, I am pursuing a Masters of Public Health in Nutrition. The classes are all online, so that gives me a chance to find a job somewhere. I really trying to boos up my resume. I WANT A JOB!
Field work is super fun! I find it baffling that many of my science peers haven't pursued internships and the like to get down and dirty with the stuff they love. I very much wanted to take a dedicated field class on birds, but alas -- the stupid upperclassmen get priority enrollment, and I couldn't get in. Ah well, 'tis the life of a lower division undergraduate. I am taking an upper division entomology class, though, only because the professor made an exception. Hopefully the entomology class will entail more hands-on work.
I might get a job dissecting insects....... a long as I do not have to kill anything, I will be quite pleased.

Rakansen

ラルフ

Yeah, I remember doing that, I vaguely remember why we couldn't for the grasshopper, though. :(

:::

Today was quite interesting. When my friends and I went to the locker room for Physical Education, we noticed that the air felt stuffy and smelly, the next thing we know the teachers told my class to change as quickly as we can because security was going to inspect the lockers. Apparently someone brought cannabis to school and smoked it in the locker room. Yeah.

After school was the first gamer's club meeting, unfortunately I didn't bring anything so I didn't get to do much, I'm bringing my 3DS next week so I can play Kid Icarus: Uprising with other people.

Kamran11

Mmmm as an introvert myself, I completely understand. Speaking to a crowd is difficult; actually, most people don't find it easy, and some are just good at being able to hide or subdue the nervous turmoil within. But don't let your situation in senior year dampen your optimism for the future. College is much different than high school. You have the ability to take classes more suited to your liking, and I have never taken a discussion-intensive class. You will find there are probably internships available which entail constructive interaction with other people that is fun, not daunting or stressful. What are you interested in studying?

Nice to know someone understands , and yea I have heard college is different and better then high school. Im really not sure as to what i want to do exactly right now i really think i want to help people so i've been thinking about going into psychology or social sciences. I worry alot about my future though and i really dont want to end up with a career i dont really like. I understand that i don't know what type of job i like until i try it though. I dont want to waste my time switching but i guess i have to focus and be positive.

Roseheart95

El Psy Congroo
I've got to revise for a Biology test on Monday and a Maths test on Tuesday... but first I must finish my English commentary D:

Moneyy

INACTIVE
Question for anyone who has received a high score on the SATs: what are some things you did in order to prepare for the test? I take it in three weeks, and I really need to score well.