• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Jesus christ, only went back to school a few weeks ago but already feel like death because of A2 courses. English lit is probably the worst, somehow the ability to critically analyse passages of text has totally vanished.

Seriously, all I do is sit there and stare at the paper for about ten minutes and make one annotation, something like "the use of the speech marks here indicate that a person is speaking".

University, here I come.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
So begins my 3rd year in College (actually it started 2 weeks ago) and it's just like I thought it would be, no easier then the first two years :p

I enjoy the classes...but man is my schedule a pain

Blackjack the Titan

It’s been a while
So begins my 3rd year in College (actually it started 2 weeks ago) and it's just like I thought it would be, no easier then the first two years :p

I enjoy the classes...but man is my schedule a pain

I've developed ideal study habits, but how rigorous is college in general for the first two years (general courses mainly)?

Joltik-Kid

I've developed ideal study habits, but how rigorous is college in general for the first two years (general courses mainly)?
For me, it's been back and forth for schedule times. 1st year I had morning classes, 2nd year I didn't, now I have one again. My signature explains the big class, but my schedule has me going to class 5 days a week at different times. Art History in the morning (ugh...) 3D animation later in the even on Monday's and Wednesday's. One class in the afternoon (4pm-5pm) which is my Scripting class (code scripting). And Friday being one class as well in the evening (It's scheduled from 5pm-11pm, but we get out earlier then that), it's an Imaging class using Adobe Aftereffects. All this while being a commuter. It sucks that I don't have a job yet, but with this schedule, it's pretty much a blessing

Wizardly Oz

Scholar of Insects
First day all moved into my dorm room: I woke up early this morning to make coffee in the community kitchen some distance away, when I forgot the building key, locking myself out. I sat pensively for 10 minutes alongside my painfully empty French press until a guy with fluffy hair let me back in. I made my coffee; 'twas a happy ending.
It's looking to be a good year, albeit I am worried that everyone on my floor are nocturnal and will keep me up until the wee hours of the morning, like they did last night.......

Nice to know someone understands , and yea I have heard college is different and better then high school. Im really not sure as to what i want to do exactly right now i really think i want to help people so i've been thinking about going into psychology or social sciences. I worry alot about my future though and i really dont want to end up with a career i dont really like. I understand that i don't know what type of job i like until i try it though. I dont want to waste my time switching but i guess i have to focus and be positive.
That's why internships and volunteer work are so essential; they provide you with a taste of potential career choices. Going into higher level education is just the beginning, not the end; you have A LOT of time to prepare and really get familiar with the kind of stuff you like. It's a time for testing and playing with things, not making crucial decisions. Take a psychology class, take a social sciences class -- take a biology class (woot!), and from there, just take a step forward. Like I said, there's no rush or sudden plunge into anything.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
Okay, I just came back from a rather odd class, where we had to write a text in pairs. The thing was, me and the guy who I was supposed to write the text with were completely burned out. We ended up coming with this really dumb joke idea where's like this circle of death. Like, x dies because of something that was triggered by y who dies because of something triggered by z and it'd keep going but then end with someone dying because of something x triggered. Then we noticed that there were only 10 minutes left and we ended up putting our joke idea in paper.

I wonder how our teacher will react to that, lol.

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
For some reason I am lazy and dont normally do well in some classes. I tend to understand things very well but am too lazy to apply what I have learned in assignments. What is wrong with me -_-

General Nonsense

Star Glider
Going to start my university life from next week.

Truth to be told, I am nervous, and expecting a huge change in my life.

Everyone gets nervous about starting. Trust me, you're not alone.

So then, I was not able to get done all the reading I needed to get done. I think I need more sleep since I woke up really tired. I even got about 8 hours of sleep last night.

Kamran11

That's why internships and volunteer work are so essential; they provide you with a taste of potential career choices. Going into higher level education is just the beginning, not the end; you have A LOT of time to prepare and really get familiar with the kind of stuff you like. It's a time for testing and playing with things, not making crucial decisions. Take a psychology class, take a social sciences class -- take a biology class (woot!), and from there, just take a step forward. Like I said, there's no rush or sudden plunge into anything.

Yeah, your right im probably just too caught up worrying about it. Thanks for the advice bro.

725roy

ambivolent
Well, i definitely underestimated my History class and it's worth. Looks like I'll be taking better notes.

Recon

Physics, I was amazing at this in high school, so why am I sucking in an introductory-level course?

TheotherLati

Ace Trainer Brendan
Physics, I was amazing at this in high school, so why am I sucking in an introductory-level course?

What was the first lesson about? Was it AP or just regular Physics?

Finished up learning the basics of matLAB - dealt with plotting graphs, charts and 3D meshes. Now we just moved on over to mathCAD. Fun stuff.... but it's funny where we go from doing basic alegbra as examples to get a "feel for the program," so to speak and jump straight into Quadratics and unit conversions (eg: Liters*atm to joules or poise to lb/ft. seconds) lol -.-

Rakansen

ラルフ

As a graduation requirement, my high school requires us to take either physics or chemistry at some point in the year. I don't know which one I will take, my sister took chemistry but I'm really interested in physics, though I have a feeling it may be difficult. Thoughts?

:::

Today was a boring day. I had to catch up on some things because I was gone on Monday. The most interesting thing that happened today was that in English we had a lecture and a PowerPoint on the word "ghetto," since it's misused A LOT today, and the play that we are reading (A Raisin in the Sun) somehow connects to the real definition of ghetto, "a densely populated area occupied by a 'minority' as a result of economic/racial pressures."

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
Okay, things are already not going well in this year. I've been trying to do this Literature homework, but I don't think I'll be able to do it. I need to write a 200-word text on what makes a good book for me. Thing is, I already have a hard time stretching anything I write to 100 words, having to stretch twice as much is downright impossible for me. I seriously hope I won't have to do stuff like this all year long. If so, I'm pretty screwed.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Well, things could be going better right now. I've been trying to do this Literature homework, but I don't think I'll be able to do it. I need to write a 200-word text on what makes a good book for me. Thing is, I already have a hard time stretching anything I write to 100 words, having to stretch twice as much is downright impossible for me. I seriously hope I won't have to do stuff like this all year long. If so, I'm pretty screwed.
Only 200 words? What kind of class is that... I have to write at least 2 pages XD

As for me... have an Art History test I should be studying for... >_<

~Sam~

Trader and Battler
My teacher decided to tell us that there was a test today. It's actually next week :p

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Lol, I probably wouldn't be able to do shit in college just because of assignments like that. Writing one page alone would be hell on earth. :p

It is. I hate Rhetoric more than I did when I started college a month ago. The worst part is, a two page essay is the shortest we'll be writing. My final essay will need to be 6-7 pages. Once I'm done with these two English courses, I'll be glad to be done with essay writing.