• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

This is probably the worst semester at my college compared to my other ones, I was doing great and finishing assignments on time but I have been late with almost every assignment this semester.
But I did go to the elementary school where we are gonna have our presentation about eating insects and I think that presentation will go alright :U

Flandre

Fluffy Flareon
I'm finally coming to the end of my 4th year in college and I don't want to leave! It's been so hard and playing Pokemon in the downtime has definitely helped out a lot but still, I'm hoping it'll be worth the effort I've put in in the end. I want to be a teacher but I need to get some experience first so it's not like my own time in education is gonna finish any time soon.

I think everyone knows pretty much how I feel at this point!

Ketaru

Take home exams are overrated. One thinks that they're easier because you can refer to notes and texts. But there is such a much greater expectation of accuracy and comprehensiveness. A sixteen question exam has taken me approximately fourteen hours because, even though I have a vague idea how to answer each question, I don't want to take any chances. Furthermore, there is an expectation of use of citations to state where you got all of your answers. Right now, I'm at about twelve reference sources. I'll be shocked if I get less than a 97. And I'll be unbelievably upset if I get less than 95 because this is so time consuming.

Granted, I've spread these fourteen hours out over four days. But this hasn't left much time for recreation at all. The entire week has been work and school work. All I know is the weekend is over and I am exhausted.

Last edited:

Flandre

Fluffy Flareon
I have found myself with a draft of a 12 page paper due tomorrow. And guess who hasn't started yet.

I need to not let this happen. But my paper is 10,000 words. Even the master of procrastination couldn't whack that out in one night.

Vernikova

Champion
I got a B on my midterm, which is fortunate since I didn't read that much. My religion class's midterm is going to kill me, though.

SkyTheAbsol

Dark-Type Fanatic
I decided it was a good idea to try to help run a convention at my college as a first-year. Everything went better than expected - this semester, at least - but if there's such a thing as negative amounts of sleep, then that's what I'm getting every time this event rolls around.

I overslept this morning but I still got in the train on time.
But I don't have gym class today so I am pretty happy about that since I'm tired.
Now I just have to wait for Graphic Design class and compliment the teacher who is usually pretty nice already during class and hope that we get to leave class early!

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
So yeah. I thought my university was playing a prank on us by switching off certain WiFi routers so we would have a harder time getting on the internet. I then realized that the WiFi is just as bad as it normally is, but I am just paranoid about April Fools Day pranks.

General Nonsense

Star Glider
My anatomy professor pulled the most evil April Fool's prank on us today. He told us he was moving the quiz up a week. We all panicked. Turns out the truth is that it is being pushed back a few days.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Well, that was that. I've had more than enough time lying dormant doing next to nothing with my life aside from a weekend job at a supermarket checkout, and now I'm back to studying and back to using this thread as an outpost for every little complaint and consternation which pops into my head at the time of me being online.

I'm taking a distance-learning degree in the Creative Arts, the idea being that the university sends you the course materials over the post (essentially a huge ring-binder filled with excercises and assignments and thought-provoking questions about modern creative disciplines and whatnot) and you do the assignments and send them to your assigned tutor, who then gives you a tailored evaluation and grade. I'm about... two weeks in and I've been doing ok so far, but I've hit a wall with this academic paper on the significance of "place" in art. I'm not exactly sure what we're meant to take away from reading this, as the whole thing is so densely written and highly dependent on the reader's knowledge of obscure philosophical ideas and the analysis of seemingly banal pieces of contemporary art that it would be nonsensical to anyone without at least a few years of intense study behind them, surely.

Anyway, apparently this is something which I'm going to have to get used to. Now I remember why I disliked school so much.

SkyTheAbsol

Dark-Type Fanatic
Our Linear Algebra teacher kept insisting that we'd have our test today and no on believed him 'cause, y'know, April Fools and all.
Aaaaaand then we had our test today. I studied just in case, but not nearly enough I think. D:

Ketaru

The difference in meaning of words between laymans' use and academia is sometimes difficult to get used to. For example, saying that something is a "stereotype" almost implies a standard of norm, but if a behavior is "stereotyped," it is abnormal and unusual by definition.

Another example is "psychic." I have to remember that "psychic" does not mean the same thing in academia that it means in layman's terms.

Phrase out of context:
"...faith in God helped mothers generate psychic energy..."

Whole sentence:
"Positive attitude, social support, and faith in God helped mothers generate psychic energy to cope with the physical, emotional, and financial aspects of care giving."

Master Calem

Time traveler fool
School is being so boring...and the fact that next year I finish school... I don't even know what I wanna do. Feel like I don't have anything to do in the world :( anyways, I have 2 tests (very important) and a group work(which I totally hate to work with other people...they only drag you down!) that are for next week...and I haven't even started to study lol
I only now pass school dreaming about a cute, brown hair and eye colored(just like me!) Sensitive and kind girl that exists somewhere and is waiting for our meeting... And suddenly I wake up upon hearing my portuguese/spanish/japanese teacher's pronunciation. UGH HOW I HATE IT! Where do they seriously get their license?

Last edited:

General Nonsense

Star Glider
This month is going to be very rough. Lots of papers and exams. Not to mention morale is already at an all time low. All I really need to do is just get through this month and then I can go home for the summer.

Stardustz6

Part of the Echelon
I don't even know what my last post in this thread was about.
I'm 1 week into the spring holiday, spent most of it sleeping, skyping friends and playing video games.

I've got an interview for a music college doing "creative media" - basically creating music videos and band merch for the music performance students - so I need to show them my editing portfolio...which pretty much consists of 3 videos all made in short time frames at college and show very little of my skill because of stupid exam board restrictions.
Over the past few days I've been editing together cut scenes from assassin's creed to make a GMV so at least I can show them something that shows off my skills.

Also I broke up with my boyfriend and I'm dying my hair blue.
Not bad for a week's events.