• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
Currently in my two-week vacation. Still waiting on my grades, which doesn't surprise me. I can't enjoy my break without knowing my grades though. Finally cleaned up the house after a year or so. Man, that was a huge undertaking. But everything is now squeeky clean. School work should be easier to do now. It looks like I won't be getting kicked out of school after all, I'm sure I have passing grades. Everything is falling back into place.

The presentation was Awesome!

I think that we have one week left and then we have the gap week where we can catch up on late assignments and there's a chance that I have to come back in that week lol =[
But I'll try my best not to!

General Nonsense

Star Glider
Welp, getting to that point in the semester where everything piles up all at once and I have to deal with all the stress on top of it. At least I go on summer vacation in a month.

Zachmac

I have no better place to rant, so I'll do it here.

I'm an honors student. I'm naturally excellent in math and reading, so passing the placement test for my schools dual enrollment program last year was no problem; even my fellow honors students were impressed by my grades. Things were looking up for me. I had some of the best classmates in the school(since most of the annoying ones couldn't place themselves in an honors class), and I was able to get a head start on college credits.

My Junior year came, and I was half correct; one of those two classes was great. My English 101 class had us working on laptops in the classroom, doing the college work from online. I was responsible for my own work, and I was scoring very well on my papers. There was a teacher in the classroom, yes, but there was also a teacher from the college who we interacted with online, and I really respected him. He procrastinated on grading, which annoyed my classmates, but he really knew what he was doing. I also loved the content that I was being taught; I hated writing autobiographies, stories about myself, and poems that elementary, middle, and high schools are so obsessed with, so actual academic writing was just what I needed.

My math class, however, was terrible. I could my teacher gave unreasonable homework, which is true. I could say my teacher was overly strict about the stupidest things(how you sit in your chair, for instance), which is also true. I could say my teacher didn't believe in promoting thinking skills, and only believes in working yourself to death to be successful, and that is especially true. She is the most unreasonable women I have ever dealt with. She's super friendly outside of the classroom, but inside of the classroom, she's a beast. I can't even take my own notes the way I want to. I can't even sit in my chair the way I want to. I passed the class with a B, but I actually had several emotional breakdowns from the stress she's generated for me. On more then one instance I broke down in the shower in tears; I hadn't cried sense Elementary school, but that lady broke me. My grades in all of my classes suffered as I grew more tired with the school year. My English grade when from an A to a B, my Chemistry from an A to a C(though my Chemistry teacher had his own problems, which really didn't help), ect.

But was I smart enough to say no to the the pre-calculus class next semester? Nope. I thought it wouldn't be bad, because we were promised we'd be working with computers the same way the English class I had cherished so much did. Turns out something went wrong, and that wasn't the case. I was stuck with her again; no one from the college, just that lady again. And as it seems, she's stressing herself out just as much as she's stressing her students out. Last Friday, she literally yelled at one of the best students in the school. That kid is a strait-A student, and I'd say he's easily the greatest student in our class. He keeps getting As on her test, even though she might take away points for the silliest reasons(apparently there's only one proper way to prove an equation. According to her, at least.), he turns in all of his homework, despite how tedious she makes it(I don't need to prove I can solve a triangle 30 times in one sitting!), and he still has time for other projects one top of that. And she yelled at him in class!

But I'm not dealing with the stress by crying this time; oh no, I've gone on the defensive mode. When I'm at home, I only have two ways I can deal with this stress; freak out over it or not think about it.
Last semester I dealt with it by freaking out. This semester, I've started ignoring it, and this new found apathetic attitude is not working well for me at all. I'm having a very difficult time keeping my grades up, and I have an even harder time keeping myself motivated to keep my grades up. My current grade in that class is a D, and we're reaching the end of the semester very quickly. My American History grade isn't looking so hot either, but I just can't focus on school work when I've got my terrible, terrible math teacher on my mind. The only homework I've been able to get done is homework I've done at school.

My classmates are sick of her as well. My homeroom teacher asked us if we were taking her the honors class next semester as well. Another honors student asked if it was the same math teacher, and when we got a "yes", she and another honors student kept bashing her until the class ended. And remember that classmate who I mentioned got yelled at? Everyone was silent at the time, but in Band class afterwards, I my classmates expressed their anger very clearly.

Yes, I'm in part to blame for my own grade for not taking my homework seriously anymore; but at the same time, I've never hated a math class this much. I want to enjoy the material being taught. I love math. I just can't stand it with my current teacher. She's literally told us we can't enjoy life if we want to be successful; this lady is in some serious need of Taoist philosophy.

I feel hopeless whenever I take a math test. I know the material I'm being taught. I understand it, and I understand how it works. Even when she does a terrible job at explaining it, I just have to look at an example in a book and I get it. But when I take a test, I always get a D. Always. There's no retakes either. How am I messing this up? I've always been great at test; they're how I got into that class in the first place. I have like, two classmates who always get As somehow. But not a lot.

I've dug myself into a whole because of the stress she's causing me. Now the semester is reaching an end, and I've got a crap-ton of makeup work I need to do to get my grades up in Math and my other homework-happy class(US-History). Though I'm not sure if she'll actually take make-up work. She's been kind of unclear about it, and I have trouble asking her because of my crippling social anxieties and the knowledge that she'll chew me out in front of the class if I ask here directly.

Should I mention last semester she mentioned that she put on my report card that she had to make accommodations because of my "learning disability"? Because she didn't. I don't even need accommodations in math. My one-and-only disability is in communication, not numbers. Unless calling me out in front of the class because I'm not writing anything down when she wants me to is accommodating to that; but I'm pretty sure it isn't. I was actually extremely offended by this, because I pride myself in my math skills, and I never once asked(or obtained) any form of accommodation from her.

I don't know where I'm going with this any more. But I feel kind of hopeless now. I don't think there's enough time for me to bring my grade up. I'm embarrassed. I hold myself to a high standard, and I haven't been able to reach it. I wanted to pass as one of the top students in my school, and it really looked like I was going to at first, but I've been broken. I just feel far too apathetic towards my grades now, because it doesn't feel like they're worth the effort to me anymore. And now, I think it's too late for me to do anything about it, because the college semester ends earlier then the high school one.

I don't even know where I'm going with this. I'm just far more stressed then I have ever been in my life, and probably more then I will ever be in my life. I'm usually a pretty laid back person, so it takes a lot to break me like this.

Oh, and you know what really stings?
She's got the school's teacher of the year award.
I was literally offended by this.

I just can't take anymore of this. I wish it wasn't too late to turn back....

Edit: I'm sorry about the overly-lengthy post. I was just stressed last night and needed to get this out...

Last edited:

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'

I'm an honors student. I'm naturally excellent in math and reading, so passing the placement test for my schools dual enrollment program last year was no problem; even my fellow honors students were impressed by my grades. Things were looking up for me. I had some of the best classmates in the school(since most of the annoying ones couldn't place themselves in an honors class), and I was able to get a head start on college credits.

My Junior year came, and I was half correct; one of those two classes was great. My English 101 class had us working on laptops in the classroom, doing the college work from online. I was responsible for my own work, and I was scoring very well on my papers. There was a teacher in the classroom, yes, but there was also a teacher from the college who we interacted with online, and I really respected him. He procrastinated on grading, which annoyed my classmates, but he really knew what he was doing. I also loved the content that I was being taught; I hated writing autobiographies, stories about myself, and poems that elementary, middle, and high schools are so obsessed with, so actual academic writing was just what I needed.

My math class, however, was terrible. I could my teacher gave unreasonable homework, which is true. I could say my teacher was overly strict about the stupidest things(how you sit in your chair, for instance), which is also true. I could say my teacher didn't believe in promoting thinking skills, and only believes in working yourself to death to be successful, and that is especially true. She is the most unreasonable women I have ever dealt with. She's super friendly outside of the classroom, but inside of the classroom, she's a beast. I can't even take my own notes the way I want to. I can't even sit in my chair the way I want to. I passed the class with a B, but I actually had several emotional breakdowns from the stress she's generated for me. On more then one instance I broke down in the shower in tears; I hadn't cried sense Elementary school, but that lady broke me. My grades in all of my classes suffered as I grew more tired with the school year. My English grade when from an A to a B, my Chemistry from an A to a C(though my Chemistry teacher had his own problems, which really didn't help), ect.

But was I smart enough to say no to the the pre-calculus class next semester? Nope. I thought it wouldn't be bad, because we were promised we'd be working with computers the same way the English class I had cherished so much did. Turns out something went wrong, and that wasn't the case. I was stuck with her again; no one from the college, just that lady again. And as it seems, she's stressing herself out just as much as she's stressing her students out. Last Friday, she literally yelled at one of the best students in the school. That kid is a strait-A student, and I'd say he's easily the greatest student in our class. He keeps getting As on her test, even though she might take away points for the silliest reasons(apparently there's only one proper way to prove an equation. According to her, at least.), he turns in all of his homework, despite how tedious she makes it(I don't need to prove I can solve a triangle 30 times in one sitting!), and he still has time for other projects one top of that. And she yelled at him in class!

But I'm not dealing with the stress by crying this time; oh no, I've gone on the defensive mode. When I'm at home, I only have two ways I can deal with this stress; freak out over it or not think about it.
Last semester I dealt with it by freaking out. This semester, I've started ignoring it, and this new found apathetic attitude is not working well for me at all. I'm having a very difficult time keeping my grades up, and I have an even harder time keeping myself motivated to keep my grades up. My current grade in that class is a D, and we're reaching the end of the semester very quickly. My American History grade isn't looking so hot either, but I just can't focus on school work when I've got my terrible, terrible math teacher on my mind. The only homework I've been able to get done is homework I've done at school.

My classmates are sick of her as well. My homeroom teacher asked us if we were taking her the honors class next semester as well. Another honors student asked if it was the same math teacher, and when we got a "yes", she and another honors student kept bashing her until the class ended. And remember that classmate who I mentioned got yelled at? Everyone was silent at the time, but in Band class afterwards, I my classmates expressed their anger very clearly.

Yes, I'm in part to blame for my own grade for not taking my homework seriously anymore; but at the same time, I've never hated a math class this much. I want to enjoy the material being taught. I love math. I just can't stand it with my current teacher. She's literally told us we can't enjoy life if we want to be successful; this lady is in some serious need of Taoist philosophy.

I feel hopeless whenever I take a math test. I know the material I'm being taught. I understand it, and I understand how it works. Even when she does a terrible job at explaining it, I just have to look at an example in a book and I get it. But when I take a test, I always get a D. Always. There's no retakes either. How am I messing this up? I've always been great at test; they're how I got into that class in the first place. I have like, two classmates who always get As somehow. But not a lot.

I've dug myself into a whole because of the stress she's causing me. Now the semester is reaching an end, and I've got a crap-ton of makeup work I need to do to get my grades up in Math and my other homework-happy class(US-History). Though I'm not sure if she'll actually take make-up work. She's been kind of unclear about it, and I have trouble asking her because of my crippling social anxieties and the knowledge that she'll chew me out in front of the class if I ask here directly.

Should I mention last semester she mentioned that she put on my report card that she had to make accommodations because of my "learning disability"? Because she didn't. I don't even need accommodations in math. My one-and-only disability is in communication, not numbers. Unless calling me out in front of the class because I'm not writing anything down when she wants me to is accommodating to that; but I'm pretty sure it isn't. I was actually extremely offended by this, because I pride myself in my math skills, and I never once asked(or obtained) any form of accommodation from her.

I don't know where I'm going with this any more. But I feel kind of hopeless now. I don't think there's enough time for me to bring my grade up. I'm embarrassed. I hold myself to a high standard, and I haven't been able to reach it. I wanted to pass as one of the top students in my school, and it really looked like I was going to at first, but I've been broken. I just feel far too apathetic towards my grades now, because it doesn't feel like they're worth the effort to me anymore. And now, I think it's too late for me to do anything about it, because the college semester ends earlier then the high school one.

I don't even know where I'm going with this. I'm just far more stressed then I have ever been in my life, and probably more then I will ever be in my life. I'm usually a pretty laid back person, so it takes a lot to break me like this.

Edit: I'm sorry about the overly-lengthy post. I was just stressed last night and needed to get this out...

You gotta look at the facts here!
You're capable of scoring high, you've done it numerous times before. You understand the material. It's just that any normal stress generated from schoolworks is now being doubled by an overzealous teacher.

Compatibility issues between you and your current math instructor seem to really be bothering you. Not just you though, your entire class seems to have the same problem. You're not alone there! Her teaching methods are a little too rigorous, and things may seem a little overwhelming at times, but sometimes you just gotta take these things out! Put on a poker face, but don't let that consume you like it almost might be right now! It doesn't look like you'll be able to take her outta the equation. But as you've been doing thus far, and as your mates have as well, ya gotta grit your teeth and chug through.

Playing by her frustratingly unfortunate rules may seem like a total off-putter, but it seems since you've gotten this far, and the fact that "apparently" she's one of the best teachers around, you gotta make it happen! You're totally capable of it, a D or two would obviously bring self-confidence to a grinding halt, but even in the face of all this unfairness, DON'T you destroy yourself over this. Play her game, it's dumb, like really dumb it seems, but that seems to be the only course of action. Beat her, and move on to the next phase of your life, leavin her, but not the knowledge, behind.

There's no option to talk it over with a counselor of some sort though? Maybe if enough of you do, she'll change heart a bit?

Stay strong, Zach. It's ok to cry, but dont drown yourself.

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf

Bro, I'm so glad I read through your story. I feel your pain. Having to deal with ignorant people like this. I've learned to pick my fights. Usually, I just pretend to be the lazy student, not draw any attention to myself, and then bust out with As in my tests. College is different though. But if this teacher of yours is as bad as you say, then this is where your rights as a student come in. Ever tried reporting the teacher as a class? I gotta say, it works. But it's hard to get students to support you. I myself chose a terrible professor for a class this semester. He abuses his position as the teacher, and literally told us to our face, "I'm here to make your life harder, because it was done to me." But if you just focus on doing the homework as it's wanted and follow her "rules", it's easy to get an A. Ignore the courtesy and equality. There won't be any. You do that, and all will be easier. Or stand up for yourself. Just make sure you follow through with your choice.

Last piece of advise, and this is important: Grades aren't that important in the real world. Grades as they are today, are a terrible way to educate students. Sure, they help out when trying to get into college, but once you're in, I would suggest you work on your social skills rather than your grades. GET TO KNOW PEOPLE. That will get you further than a 4.0. Unless you go to Harvard. Those schools get you anywhere. So they say...

Psychic

Really and truly
I had about a bunch of assignments, presentations and projects due this week. I completed them all on time, but I just have this one essay left that I cannot find the motivation to do. I just need toi get it out of the way and be done already, but I sooo don't want to do research and analysis and ugh.

~Psychic

General Nonsense

Star Glider
I had about a bunch of assignments, presentations and projects due this week. I completed them all on time, but I just have this one essay left that I cannot find the motivation to do. I just need toi get it out of the way and be done already, but I sooo don't want to do research and analysis and ugh.

~Psychic

Yeah, I know the feeling. Been part of my issue recently as well. I know I have to do the stuff, but motivation has been a problem. End of semester burnout I'm guessing.

Puma Italia

Am I the only one who just loses all of his motivation as the semester comes to the end? I still have a few weeks left, and realize that this isn't good. It can't happen if I decide to go to graduate school... I just don't have any motivation to study or work hard like I did earlier in the semester.

Stardustz6

Part of the Echelon
Finally finished all the coursework - averaging out at a B across all 3 subjects.
Study leave starts in a month.
And I got an offer to study at a music college!
It's been a stressful but rewarding few weeks...now to revise for my mock exams that are barely a month before the finals...what could possibly go wrong?!

General Nonsense

Star Glider
Am I the only one who just loses all of his motivation as the semester comes to the end? I still have a few weeks left, and realize that this isn't good. It can't happen if I decide to go to graduate school... I just don't have any motivation to study or work hard like I did earlier in the semester.

Definitely not the only one. Motivation has been low for a while. Doesn't even feel like the semester is almost over.

I'm so mad at my Certificate I-Manual Arts teacher because he asked to carry a cart full of equipment backto where it was, and when he saw that I needed someone to help me because it was too heavy, he ostracized me for not being strong enough to move it all the way by myself.

Search_Ops_TeamD

ShaggySmurf
I love my Calculus class. It's how every class should be. Minimal homework, real-time learning in class (non of that "it's your responsibility to learn the subject" BS), test that grade exactly what we covered (nothing more, nothing less), 90% of the work is done IN-CLASS instead of at home, and a super chill teacher that just gets us. Just got a perfect score on my 2nd quarter exam to prove the awesomeness of the class. Boom.

MetalSonic

Orderan' Defendan'
omg so today this chick asked me if i was a certain ethnicity just because i was "smart"????

id've cussed her out so bad if she understood my language....-_-
i just politely nodded and said "aha"

TylerPhoenix

I'm glad to be back!
I'm struggling at the moment. It seems really selfish, but I guess I feel like I don't have the same chances as everyone around me because of my conditions.

I've been away from Serebii for ages so have no idea if anyone remembers me, but basically, I'm a university student in England (Winchester to be exact - south coast, almost). I've always been pretty happy-go-lucky but a series of events triggered from 2012 onwards that meant I almost failed to get into university and spent most of my first year of uni suffering from a severely strong relapse of my schizophrenia - a condition I'm open about, that my friends, family and classmates are aware of. However, mental health combined with the fact I'm from a poverty-line family hs led me into suffering from depression, which was diagnosed August last year, and its taken me a long time to face it. It's triggered because I've watched multiple friends go away for semester/year-long exchanges in Japan, America, Australia, other areas of Europe, etc. and a lot of people I know are off on various holidays with their partners. It seems to me that I'm the sore thumb in my friend group and classes - everyone always seems to be able to afford everything and do everything. There are even post-university courses I've been looking at for a long time that I know I can't do because of the funding.

I have my schizophrenia back under control for the first time in a long time and in tests I'm showing very strong and positive results for that, and I get good university grades. it just seems that despite having work on the weekends, I'm always broke and I already buy the cheapest stuff around. I always feel really guilty when I think like this but it is fact that even with government support I'm unable to do any of this. It's made me feel quite jealous of some of my best friends and I don't really know how to approach it. I'm glad they're having fun and enjoying this and have these plans for the future, but I long to do the same and with the lack of support for any of these courses and the fact I need to win a scholarship for any of them - and the scholarships I'm looking at are the only ones available, thus highly competitive - I feel like its a kick in the teeth. It's emotionally draining me and I know for a fact there's tension between my friends and I because they know I'm unhappy. I guess I feel second-rate and like I'll never have the same chances because of their monetary/more emotionally/mentally stable condition.

Again, I feel selfish and I feel stupid, but I just needed to vent.

tl;dr - I have a mental health condition, I'm poverty-line family, and my friends and I are falling out because of the tension and situations it throws up thanks to my instabilities.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, I'm probably explaining this really badly. :/

Last edited:

ebevan91

1 more week until finals. Ready to get this over with. But then of course like halfway through the summer I'll be wanting to be back in school.