• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Student Lounge Thread.

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
well i got flat denied by my number one choice school (unc chapel hill).
i was a middling score (32 and 1420 respectively) in-state applicant so i was hoping to have a shot or maybe deferment, but no such luck.

lost for as to what i want to do now

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
It's already February and I can already feel the pressure on having project defense. I'll be having my title / proposal defense tomorrow in line with our capstone project.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
well i got flat denied by my number one choice school (unc chapel hill).
lost for as to what i want to do now
Don't fret too much if you applied to other schools. I applied early decision to my number one school (Reed in Portland, OR), and I got denied. Turns out that going to UPS (Tacoma, WA) was the best thing that happened to me, and it compelled me to go to grad school.

Gearing up for what should be my last semester of grad school, and let me tell you, I am ready to be done (and for a nap). Just got done filling out some student loan info and at the end, I had to go over an exit interview saying I understand everything about my loans. The last portion had a projected calculator for how much I would need to make out of school to live comfortably (put in estimations for rent/bills/etc) and pay off student debt. I kept everything the same as it is now for spending that I currently have, their estimation was I would need to make $138K (USD). I couldn't believe how unrealistic of a number they gave. I know it's an algorithm but it was still absurd. V_v.
Keep at it! Grad school is rough. I amassed way more in debt for two years of my master's than I did for four years at UPS (more expensive to go to than Oxford while I was there). Pay As You Earn is a godsend, but it is still sad doing taxes every year and seeing that I paid more interest than my actual loans.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
School started a week and a half ago and I'm already swamped by work and tired... Expected no less. :rolleyes:

My R score unfortunately dropped. Not by much, only by about 0,1 point, which brought it just above my first semester R score, but it still stinks... I had hopes I would hit at least 31,5 for my third semester but I went back to 31,3 ... It stayed pretty still for the entirety of my college studies.

I finally decided on what and where I plan on applying in for university. Applications have just begun and I have one month to officially submit them. I want to give pharmacy a try, even though it generally requires about 32,8 - 33,2 of R score to even be considered to enter. However, Québec's universities have changed their methods of application for difficult medical fields and now offer the qualification test to everyone online instead of having a selection for the paper test before the final cuts. It gives a lot of people the opportunity to prove themselves before being cut out for having slightly lower R scores. This method is to be used for the first time as I apply for universities: if there's anytime where the system could leave a crack just open wide enough for me to slither in, it would be now. I'm gonna take a chance here!
If I am refused from the pharmacy program (which I am very prepared for; it is still a long shot despite the new system), I plan on doing one year in a biology bachelor so I can boost my grades and either climb back up into pharmacy or pursue my studies to become a botanist. Either way, I'll have a full year to think about it, and time is really all I need right now.

Also, due to conflicting schedules, the school was not able to give me the geology class I requested. They put me in astrophysics instead! At first I was very stressed about this outcome but as of right now, astrophysics is really interesting. I was very clueless about the visible constellations and this class taught me a lot in only a few hours. For goodness' sake I thought Polaris was just a star amongst others. Plus, my friend in geology says she's suffering, so the school giving me astrophysics despite my pleas must be a blessing in disguise! Granted, my friend was not as passionate about rocks and the science of the Earth as I was but still.

Last edited:

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
Passed our first phase of thesis defense: the title defense. Now I'm getting worked up doing the chapters and bit of programming.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
Currently in quite the conundrum. Long story short: i took a gap year at the age of 18 to figure out what i wanted to do before wasting two years studying journalism. Anyways, i'm trying to graduate at the end of 2018; however, i'm one class short of meeting my degree requirements. Summer semester isn't an option, as there is literally no decent 2nd year classes available, so my only option is to take 5 classes in a semester. I'm a little terrified that it may be too much for me, then again, i really do not want to study 1 class in 2019 when i could have graduated in 2018. Sighhhh

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Passed our first phase of thesis defense: the title defense. Now I'm getting worked up doing the chapters and bit of programming.

Congrats!

Currently in quite the conundrum. Long story short: i took a gap year at the age of 18 to figure out what i wanted to do before wasting two years studying journalism. Anyways, i'm trying to graduate at the end of 2018; however, i'm one class short of meeting my degree requirements. Summer semester isn't an option, as there is literally no decent 2nd year classes available, so my only option is to take 5 classes in a semester. I'm a little terrified that it may be too much for me, then again, i really do not want to study 1 class in 2019 when i could have graduated in 2018. Sighhhh

If it's just one extra class during one semester and not one extra class every semester, then I would suggesting getting it out of the way as soon as possible. That way, if something goes horribly wrong (which I hope it doesn't), you're at least prepared to make an adjustment. It may suck for awhile, but I believe you can get through it!

Welp... I've been off school three days with a cold and I'm meant to be going back in tomorrow. Only problem is that I have two projects for French and German to hand in on the same day and I haven't done any. I can't help that I've been feeling unwell, but hey! Here's a detention for not writing essays while you feel like s**t!

Yep, I despise homework, especially languages homework, with a passion.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Welp... I've been off school three days with a cold and I'm meant to be going back in tomorrow. Only problem is that I have two projects for French and German to hand in on the same day and I haven't done any. I can't help that I've been feeling unwell, but hey! Here's a detention for not writing essays while you feel like s**t!

Yep, I despise homework, especially languages homework, with a passion.

Hey there, when I taught at the university, I was usually pretty forgiving if a student asked me for an extension on a project. I recommend contacting your teachers as soon as possible to ask for an extension, especially if you know you're not feeling too hot. Just don't get in the habit of asking for extensions because there's nothing I disliked more than when my students abused my generosity.

Hey there, when I taught at the university, I was usually pretty forgiving if a student asked me for an extension on a project. I recommend contacting your teachers as soon as possible to ask for an extension, especially if you know you're not feeling too hot. Just don't get in the habit of asking for extensions because there's nothing I disliked more than when my students abused my generosity.

I'd be too shy to ever try that, and my school is pretty strict, but thanks for the support!

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I'd be too shy to ever try that, and my school is pretty strict, but thanks for the support!

I get that. Some of my students really struggled to approach me, even though I'm a really friendly person. It's just hard to build up the courage. Nevertheless, I truly cared about helping them improve, and I understood and empathized with their nervousness to approach me.
Even if your school is strict, it doesn't hurt to at least try because what if it works? Then you'd be a happy camper!

Were you at least able to get the assignments done?

I get that. Some of my students really struggled to approach me, even though I'm a really friendly person. It's just hard to build up the courage. Nevertheless, I truly cared about helping them improve, and I understood and empathized with their nervousness to approach me.
Even if your school is strict, it doesn't hurt to at least try because what if it works? Then you'd be a happy camper!

Were you at least able to get the assignments done?

Wow.

The teacher actually forgot to even take them in, so I got a sudden wave of emotions.

Either way, it's half term now... *sighs deeply* now I can finally relax for a whole week.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'm about to start week 4 of my semester and I already have a 15 minutes presentation due for Tuesday in my communication class. I have to study Jules Verne's "The Eternal Adam" and explain whether Verne had, through his short novel, an optimistic, a pessimistic or stoic vue on humanity's destiny. I also have to use a philosopher's theories to support Verne's point. Is this real life ?

So I'm currently spending my Sunday evening typing words such as "fragile humanity", "catastrophism" and "intellectual", even though I came back from a work shift and my brain has been reduced to goo because clients are impolite and stupid.

Why does my teacher think politics, technology and human evolution are interesting topics to discuss in a class all about speech and language ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
I'm about to start week 4 of my semester and I already have a 15 minutes presentation due for Tuesday in my communication class. I have to study Jules Verne's "The Eternal Adam" and explain whether Verne had, through his short novel, an optimistic, a pessimistic or stoic vue on humanity's destiny. I also have to use a philosopher's theories to support Verne's point. Is this real life ?

So I'm currently spending my Sunday evening typing words such as "fragile humanity", "catastrophism" and "intellectual", even though I came back from a work shift and my brain has been reduced to goo because clients are impolite and stupid.

Why does my teacher think politics, technology and human evolution are interesting topics to discuss in a class all about speech and language ? :rolleyes:

So, I taught classes like this. The intersection of politics, technology, and human evolution are actually quite thrilling topics. I haven't actually read The Eternal Adam, but I recommend looking into topics of post-humanism. You could also look at post-modernism from the mid to late 20th century, especially with the good ol' French philosophers like Foucault and the such.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
So, I taught classes like this. The intersection of politics, technology, and human evolution are actually quite thrilling topics. I haven't actually read The Eternal Adam, but I recommend looking into topics of post-humanism. You could also look at post-modernism from the mid to late 20th century, especially with the good ol' French philosophers like Foucault and the such.

Do you/did you give a communication class ? The themes themselves don't bother me necessarily. I just think they can be quite redundant in a class that is all about presentations and speeches.

I hope I didn't offend you. I wouldn't particularily qualify Verne's "The Eternal Adam" as the kind of litterature the average college student would be interested in studying. It isn't mine, anyway. Especially considering I have to mix it up with Nietzsche's philosophy to prove that Verne's title exposes humanity in a pessimistic light...

I think I have only ever read one short text of Foucault's. I believe it focused on human alienation. It was not a bad topic! My second philosophy class was very well structured.

Last edited:

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Do you/did you give a communication class ? The themes themselves don't bother me necessarily. I just think they can be quite redundant in a class that is all about presentations and speeches.

I hope I didn't offend you. I wouldn't particularily qualify Verne's "The Eternal Adam" as the kind of litterature the average college student would be interested in studying. It isn't mine, anyway. Especially considering I have to mix it up with Nietzsche's philosophy to prove that Verne's title exposes humanity in a pessimistic light...

I think I have only ever read one short text of Foucault's. I believe it focused on human alienation. It was not a bad topic! My second philosophy class was very well structured.

No offense taken!
When I was in grad school, I taught communications courses on rhetoric, critical/cultural studies, psychoanalysis, feminism, and Photoshop. The fun thing is taking the ideas of studying presentations & speeches and apply them outwards, which sounds like what your professor is attempting.
It may not be the ideal thing to study for you, but there's probably some reason(s) why the professor is keeping it in their coursework. It may play a factor in stuff you're later studying.

Foucault's panopticon reminds me of my work where our office building is in a circle with a smaller circle within it.

⊱✿RedAshEntropy

· MultiShipper ·
Preparing for our proposal defense next week. Finish some preliminary chapters and stuff, hopefully we're prepared enough for next week. On the other hand, things are quite fun at our multimedia class.

Vernikova

Champion
This is how I spend my days now: reading novels, reading plays, teaching, repeat. My life is so boring now.

MechanisticMoth

Eloquent Speaker
Preparing for our proposal defense next week. Finish some preliminary chapters and stuff, hopefully we're prepared enough for next week. On the other hand, things are quite fun at our multimedia class.
What's your proposal for? I bet you're super prepared since you already have a lot to work with!

This is how I spend my days now: reading novels, reading plays, teaching, repeat. My life is so boring now.
Days could be spent doing worst things. You could always try to spice things up. Since you're so well read, maybe you could try a trivia night! Or some local event to shake the monotony up.

Vernikova

Champion
Days could be spent doing worst things. You could always try to spice things up. Since you're so well read, maybe you could try a trivia night! Or some local event to shake the monotony up.

Maybe but I'm not too into trivia. I'm trying to find something to do besides more reading, but I haven't been lucky as of yet.