• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The stupidest moment you saw on a cartoon or any TV show

matt0044

Title says it all. I know that that TV shows are meant to be enjoyed and it's all in good fun but there are some moments that make me want to either laugh at the sheer stupidity or groan at how it made no sense. Here's a thread dedicated to those kind of moments.

I'll start it off with a moment from episode one of The Magic School Bus titled "Lost In Space" (obviously named after that bad movie). At the end of the episode, one of the characters, Arnold, takes his space helmet off while on the Planet Pluto (this was before it was demoted to a dwarf planet) in response to his braggy ***** of a cousin, Janet, wanting to stay on the Planet if she didn't get to take rocks from the planet. Does he die as a result of no oxygen in space? Nope, his body merely froze over and he's taken back to Earth where he's thawed out and receives a small cold.

Wow. Where do I begin?

1. As I said before, he'd die from the lack of oxygen and NOT freeze. I knew this and, as a result, this scene freaked the crap out of me years ago.

2. He does this to show Janet what'd happen if she'd stay on Pluto when Miss Frizzle could've just easily managed the situation as a teacher. In short, he put his life at risk because of his *****y cousin in a reckless manner that'd make Ash from Pokemon bow in admiration.

3. THIS IS A SHOW MEANT TO EDUCATE KIDS ABOUT SCIENCE! 'Nuff said.

The video can be found here (it's edited to make it seem like Arnold died so don't mind that part): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4QUgjxJbo4

Anyways, what was the stupidest thing you ever saw on TV, be it fiction or not fiction? If you can find a video of it, show it. If not, be sure to be clear when recalling it from memory.

So, go wild, guys.

Last edited:

Cain Nightroad

Daydreaming
The end of that episode was obviously a plot device to force the group to go back to Earth. It was poorly written, but I doubt that a children's show is going to kill off a character, much less a major character. It was likely that the writers had to meet a deadline/were tired and chose to create a scenario that would bring the episode to an end quickly instead of drawing it out and forcing them to come up with another ending.

I would think that most television shows for children will have plenty of plotlines and scenes that we would think are stupid now, but didn't seem out of place when we first watched those shows.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Actually, I didn't watch the video, but it does make sense that a person would freeze that far from the sun due to all the moisture in their bodies. But you're absolutely right, he would have asphyxiated in about thirty seconds if he was prepared to hold his breath.

Grei

not the color
Actually, I didn't watch the video, but it does make sense that a person would freeze that far from the sun due to all the moisture in their bodies. But you're absolutely right, he would have asphyxiated in about thirty seconds if he was prepared to hold his breath.

Wouldn't the vacuum of space just suck all of the air from his body, regardless of if he was holding his breath?

It's not the stupidest moment I've seen, but the only one that comes to mind: During the season finale of Glee, Rachel and Finn ditch their hotel rooms (where they're supposed to be writing songs for a competition that would be happening a FEW DAYS LATER) meet up in the park for a "date," both dressed up in nice clothing, and spend the day together in New York, ending in four other guys from Glee randomly waiting on a street corner to serenade the couple in a song (which they refuse to stop singing even after Rachel rejects Finn and runs off).

That entire moment started off looking like a fantasy, and when it ended without going back to Finn or Rachel waking up or snapping out of it, I was left dumbfounded. The show requires you to suspend disbelief most of the time, but that was a little too unbelievable. That was expounded when the group come out on stage and sing an entire song with choreography (after Rachel and Finn sing a choreographed duet), when high school students would never realistically be able to learn and perfect choreography and vocals for a song that they randomly wrote in the span of, like, a day.

rocky505

Poof being born on The FairlyOdd Parents. He killed the series.

matt0044

Well, he wasn't my favorite character but I don't think he ruined the show, considering most of the series uses cartoonish and silly humor anyways.

rocky505

Well, he wasn't my favorite character but I don't think he ruined the show, considering most of the series uses cartoonish and silly humor anyways.
He did. Ratings were going fine until he showed up.

matt0044

He did. Ratings were going fine until he showed up.

Well, maybe for most but I could tolorate him most of the time.

Here's one from Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue (specifically the crossover with Lost Galaxy): A kid sees the monster of the day and tells a woman who shockingly doesn't believe the kid despite living in a city where monsters terrorize the people and special forces (the Power Rangers) are sent to combat them.

I dub her the stupidest person in Power Rangers period.

Ace Of Keys

Me and My sketch pad
yeah it kinda looked rushed and even as a kid knew he should've died in space instead of turning into a block of ice.

as for stupid moments in cartoons, Id say the stupid faces sponge bob makes. its like they're asking people to make more herp derp memes

rocky505

Well, maybe for most but I could tolorate him most of the time.

Here's one from Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue (specifically the crossover with Lost Galaxy): A kid sees the monster of the day and tells a woman who shockingly doesn't believe the kid despite living in a city where monsters terrorize the people and special forces (the Power Rangers) are sent to combat them.

I dub her the stupidest person in Power Rangers period.
There's been more dumb moments in PR. Like when the red rangers were able to breathe on the moon.

Silverwindstudios

The Midnight Artist~
Sonic X - Eggman was talking to the robot-thing, metarex or whatever.

"I don't like the way you attacked Chris and Cosmo. It's one thing to hold them prisoner and threaten them, but when you actually hurt someone that's going to far."

...what the heck? l:L

Porgon-XYZ

Wut are you saying?
Another Sonic X stupid moment:

"Blahhaha, now Sonic, the only way your going to reach your friends is by tredding H2O!"
"Or I could just go around the lake."

Lol, derpy moment.

matt0044

Sonic X - Eggman was talking to the robot-thing, metarex or whatever.

"I don't like the way you attacked Chris and Cosmo. It's one thing to hold them prisoner and threaten them, but when you actually hurt someone that's going to far."

...what the heck? l:L

Wow! 4kids made Eggman a wuss.

Eivui

Uses of Psychics
Yeah, when I was little and watched TMSB, I was scared to death of that episode.

The stupidest scene from a TV show ever...Nothing comes to mind as blatantly stupid, but I did hate in Warehouse 13 after they debronzed Jinx in "Love Sick". They just pretended nothing happened!

It would've been perfectly fine to say, "We're sorry we bronzed you, but those balls we caught made us drunk." Sure, they might've gotten a reprimand, but when Jinx realized what time it was (probably 6 or so hourse after the incident) he would probably be angry to say the least.

Also Pete after Jinx explained he was gay. 'Nuff said.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Okay, one thing I must point out: they're cartoons. They're SUPPOSED to have dumb moments.

Have you ever really thought that maybe, in Magic School Bus's case, that imagination was used? Ms. Frizzle doesn't have a magical school bus, she's just encouraging her kids to use their imaginations and what they learned in school to have an adventure. But to make it entertaining for kids watching at home, they don't show them sitting in the bus and climbing up around it. They show us what's going on in their heads. Arnold had an impromptu moment and took off his helmet and figured "Hey, space is cold, really cold! So my face is going to freeze!"

That's one theory to ruin your childhood out of many.

The thing that disturbed me about that? Male fairies getting pregnant. What was Timmy thinking? Didn't he wish them to have a baby or something? And what made him decide it should be Cosmo who has him? Even if it wasn't, what went through the writers' heads to put that in there? I don't want to think about it any further...

Anyway...

"Very special episodes" that seem rather enforced and just shove these morals down the throats of kids who should be learning anyway. Those are amongst the most stupidest moments on a cartoon or any TV show. It may be for "character development" or to show some realism, but I don't care. It's a cartoon, and as much as I'd love to bond with these characters, I don't want something too traumatic, you know? They're nothing more than PSAs aimed for kids, and they're already being bombarded with that in school.

Also, there was a fairly recent Arthur episode where they had a school play, only for it to turn out they were aliens doing a school play in freakishly-well-done costume. I can't remember the episode for the life of me, but that was the dumbest moment in Arthur that I know of.

EDIT:

My mistake, it's season six, The Boy Who Cried Comet. Episode is here. Still the same premise, though, with aliens. Probably the dumbest ending to an episode ever.

Last edited:

Metagross Guy

ᴸ м f ᴬ σ.
Almost everything on Regular Show. But honestly, its a good show imo.

matt0044

Okay, one thing I must point out: they're cartoons. They're SUPPOSED to have dumb moments.

Have you ever really thought that maybe, in Magic School Bus's case, that imagination was used? Ms. Frizzle doesn't have a magical school bus, she's just encouraging her kids to use their imaginations and what they learned in school to have an adventure. But to make it entertaining for kids watching at home, they don't show them sitting in the bus and climbing up around it. They show us what's going on in their heads. Arnold had an impromptu moment and took off his helmet and figured "Hey, space is cold, really cold! So my face is going to freeze!"

That's one theory to ruin your childhood out of many.

I don't get how. I mean, it's pretty vivid for an imagination and it makes you wonder what's going on in real life during all this.

Also, Arnold taking off his helmet is stupid because this is suppose to be a show based on science and educated kids about various topics. Not to mention that it freaked me out because I thought he'd really die. I see I'm not the only one.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I don't get how. I mean, it's pretty vivid for an imagination and it makes you wonder what's going on in real life during all this.

Considering IF all those episodes are actually imagination at work, kids (especially educated kids) have a rather vivid imagination. But then again, Ms. Frizzle encourages the kids to be imaginative, you know? I wouldn't doubt it if she actually DOES have an active imagination. It would explain why she and the kids get along so well: she understands them.

Also, Arnold taking off his helmet is stupid because this is suppose to be a show based on science and educated kids about various topics. Not to mention that it freaked me out because I thought he'd really die. I see I'm not the only one.

Well, maybe it's to show just how COLD Pluto is, you know? Kids need a visual aid for these sort of things. And considering how it's one of Arnold's awesome moments (being the wimp he is), I'd say it works.