• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The stupidity of the AI

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
In SoulSilver, I managed to beat Lt. Surge with my Feraligatr, but that was because he decided to spam Double Team with each one of its Pokemon, only one of his Electrode managing to hit Feraligatr with a Shock Wave. When he sent out Electabuzz, he decided to just go for Light Screen instead of hitting(and possibly KOing) my Feraligatr. Oh and did I mention, Feraligatr was 12 levels lower than Electabuzz!!

Just how stupid can this AI be? Do you know other cases(it doesn't matter if it's DPPT or HGSS) where the AI makes you laugh?

ZiR

Beginner Collector
Sometimes is just about luck. The cpu can get generous when when you you are not in advantage, if is that not correct, I'm really lucky. But you also can get a full advantage and get hit by critical hits time after time, already happened, specially against Elite 4.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
Ah critical hits. You know in 5th gen W2/B2 against Iris, the critical hits she made are always high. That is why I don't go to Elite Four there to EV train.

I prefer AI being generous in not always attacking you. What if you don't have many revives with you? It will be frustrating isn't it?

Never in one time I am amuse of what AI choose what moves to use against me.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I was pretty sure the AI had improved by the fourth gen, though it might've been by B/W... I just remember that the AI was atrocious in the early days. I'm not good at remembering "dumb luck" battles, so I don't know if I've had a few during the fourth gen games. I just know that double battles with your temporary companion were really useless (outside of being healed after every battle, and I liked Riley). Marley I think was the worst one. Her using Helping Hand a lot really was the most pointless thing ever.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
In the Battle Tower where you get paired up with Buck, Riley... I chose Buck because I never picked him before. I think I had a Toxicroak and he had a Skarmory. All he did was use Spikes or Sandstorm for all seven battles. He even used Sandstorm when it was already activated or whatever.

This as happened to everyone, when your in a double battle and the enemy used Helping Hand, then the other uses Growl, Leer, Defense Curl...

Cutty

Forever now
In the Battle Tower of Frontier, the trainers are more challenging and tricky to guess.
I never really have any problems with gym leaders or elite four in any games... luck doesnt really have anything to do w/ it... more like work harder to level up my team...

ashiemore

I had a quite fun time battling azelf. My team was underleveled and it would have defeated me easily with future sight or swift... but instead it decides to use Nasty Plot 16 times in a row. ^_^

~ashiemore

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
I've never had these cases before save the RSE legends battles. Whenever I cut Kyogre's HP down, it always uses Double-Edge to inadvertedly kill itself. The ineffective Ultra Balls and Timer Balls exacerbate this problem.

Estellise

peachy
When I was traveling Stark Mountain with Buck, I encountered a Geodude and a Graveler, with the Graveler knowing Earthquake. Buck's *whatever* used Light Screen (like an idiot), and my Uxie's Water Pulse missed... But then, the Graveler used Earthquake, killing Geodude, without knowing that both our Pokémon had Levitate. All I could say was, "Heh, heh, stupid AI."

Aenglaan

There are certainly moments when the AI in Pokemon games for opponents is weak, but then you people like Brawly, Whitney, Misty, Red, etc who can easily wipe the floor with you if you're not prepared (although I admit that it has a lot to do with the teams these characters run).

Wolfram74

Shiny Feebas
Yeah ival battles and gym battles you'd think they had better AI than wild Pokemon. My rival decided to spam Arm Thrust at my Serperior instead of Flamethrower that it finally managed to use at Panpour. Nevertheless, I switched back in Serperior and Coiled then proceeded to 1-hit KO

telivisionhead

Sometimes is just about luck. The cpu can get generous when when you you are not in advantage, if is that not correct, I'm really lucky. But you also can get a full advantage and get hit by critical hits time after time, already happened, specially against Elite 4.

Yes. Basicly luck. Sometimes they get lucky and get a flinch, statis effect or critical hit on you. Other times they use crappy moves instead of moves that will kill you or is super effecttive. They usually use a type of move they have that is super effective against you.