1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Successes of Gen II

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by Argentarus, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Argentarus

Argentarus Sun's Out, Scorbun's out

To juxtapose the "faults of" and following in suit with the other "Successes of" threads, what is great about Generation II?

MockingJ and BTS_fan like this.
  2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

The addition of the day/night system allowed for a more varied experience.
    Silver is one of the best rivals in the series.
    Revisiting Kanto was a great idea. It's nice seeing all the old characters again.
    Adding a female playable character in Crystal was one of the best things GF has ever done.
    Breeding was one of the best features that GF has ever added. It allowed some Pokemon to get moves that they can't get otherwise, allowing for some more creative sets.
    The Dark and Steel types helped nerf the OP Psychic type and helped balance the metagame.

Argentarus likes this.
  3. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

-Tons of gameplay additions that have changed the games forever, such as breeding, special stat split, day and night, the ability to play as a girl, Dark and Steel types, hold items, friendship and more
    -Johto may be small, but it is my third favourite region
    -Silver is the first rival to have character development
    -Tyranitar, Azumarill, Espeon, Xatu, Skarmory, Heracross, Lanturn, Houndoom, Scizor, Kingdra, Raikou and Lugia
    -Clair, I quite like her personality and looks.

Argentarus likes this.
  4. raichu27

raichu27 Well-Known Member

The Radio
    The introduction of Dark and Steel types
    More Pokemon like Heracross, Tyranitar, Kingdra, Houndoom, Typhlosion, Lanturn, Azumarill, Espeon, Murkrow, Gligar, Magcargo, Steelix, Scizor, Entei, Raikou, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, etc.
    Held Items
    The opportunity to have mail for Pokemon to hold
    More items
    The phone
    Being able to revisit Kanto
    More moves
    Getting the Bug and Ghost type match ups fixed
    Introducing Dragon moves outside of Dragon Rage
    Teaching some Pokemon the elemental punches
    etc.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Jerimiyah, MockingJ and Argentarus like this.
  5. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

-Hold items
    -Breeding
    -Dark and Steel types
    -Day and night cycle

6. Kein

Kein AKA Unown Seer

What Missingno. Fan said, in addition to:

-Sprites that actually reflect the official artwork (and are animated in Crystal).
    -Cross-generational relatives.
    -More lore and culture, especially in Crystal. Arguably the peak of the series.
    -An actual post-game journey with a final surprise. The world felt connected and dynamic.
    -Female avatar and Battle Tower (Crystal).

BTS_fan and Argentarus like this.
  7. Argentarus

Argentarus Sun's Out, Scorbun's out

Just gonna throw my opinion on the generation in. (I believe this was the first generation I played. I might've played Gen 1 before Gen 2, but... I remember this generation more fondly.)
    Really wish Game Freak would give Johto a little more love.

• The introduction of bag sectioning. Still had the Gen 1 to RSE bag limit, though.
    • Introduction of rematches with normal trainers (This is sorely missing in later installments; Battle Buffet, Chateau, and whatever Unova (B1W1) had aren't cutting it for me.)
    • Roaming Pokemon (Infuriating, yet so satisfying)
    • The introduction of battle facilities (w/ Crystal's Battle Tower)
    • Introduction of event pokemon (specifically of the wireless variety, being the GS Ball event)
    • The Eusine and Suicune sideplot
    • It's a sequel to the Kanto games. (I'm a sucker for continuity and timelines)
    • The ability to battle 16 gym leaders, as opposed to just 8. (Made even better with the ability to rematch in HGSS)
    • The lore and locale designs of the region. Ecruteak City, Goldenrod City, Route 32 (mostly speaking about its redesign), Cianwood Town, and Mahoghany Town are some of my personal favourite areas.
    • The amazing soundtrack, with some personal favourite tracks include: both versions of the opening and title screen, the wild and trainer battle themes, Ecruteak/Cianwood, Violet/Olivine, Team Rocket themes, and Silver's theme.
    • And the introduction of ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Shiny Pokemon *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
    • And then there's everything everybody else has said: Dark/Steel types, breeding, having two regions, the Pokegear, and the day and night cycle.

8. Det. Viper

Det. Viper Well-Known Member

I’m not going to echo what everybody has already said. Generation II brought a lot of vast improvements to the Pokémon games that the original games just missed out on. Generation I was lacking in areas, was incomplete, and unbalanced but it was also fun and exciting. Generation II expanded on where the originals had their success but also improved on its failures.

What I believe to be the big driver on why us fans that have been playing since RBY believe this to be the best generation of Pokémon games—most of us, but not all—is due to Game Freak seeing this as the end of the franchise. They did what they could to tie up lose ends. Added a larger story. With Pokémon coming to an end it made sense to return to where it started and eventually make your way through Kanto to battle yourself.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

The night and day system in Gold and Silver was fantastic, so I thought that was a good addition. So was the fact that we could visit Kanto after defeating the League.

Jerimiyah, MockingJ and BTS_fan like this.
  10. RedR

RedR Well-Known Member

it was the first immersive pkmn experience i've had with all the new features, and battling your former self in the end was pretty surreal!

i plan on doing 1 of 2 things with gen II for pkmn sword/shield once pkmn bank details are confirmed:

1) buy vc gold or crystal and recreating my 2001 pkmn save to bring them to shield

or 2) finally transferring my heart gold pkmn to bank and then to shield.

gen 2 means a lot to me and i'd like to bring it into the next gen with me! :)

11. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

The graphics looked better even though they were still primitive. I also liked the improved music because while it was still 8-bit, it sounded more complex than the music from Generation 1.

Jerimiyah and MockingJ like this.
  12. MockingJ

MockingJ (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

The games were more balanced since the Dark type was introduced which meant that Psychic types didn't reign supreme anymore unlike in the Generation 1 days. That's my biggest praise for Generation 2.

Leonhart likes this.
  13. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Steel was much more important at handling Psychic-types than Dark. Like the Dragon before it, Dark only really mattered on one Pokemon - Tyranitar.

Leonhart likes this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I do remember certain Psychic-types such as Mewtwo and Foodin (Alakazam) being incredibly overpowered during Gen I, so I was also relieved that Game Freak managed to balance out the Psychic-type in G/S/C. I also liked that they introduced more Ghost-type and Dragon-type moves since only one of each existed prior to Gen II.

MockingJ likes this.