1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Successes of Gen III

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by Argentarus, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Argentarus

Argentarus Introducing Pokemon SOwOrd and ShUwUield

As a way to improve the game experiences and contrast with the "faults of" threads.
    What are everybody's favourite things about of Generation III?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Pokemon Contests and Secret Bases are cool things to do during the postgame.
    Abilities and natures add more depth to battles.
    Double Battles are a cool new way to battle Pokemon with many strategies not possible in a normal 1v1 battle.
    The lackluster (and sometimes glitched) Apricorn Balls were replaced with 7 new (and far more useful) Poke Balls.
    Wally is one of the best rivals in the series and the battle with him at Victory Road is one of the best moments in the series.
    The Battle Frontier was introduced, and it remains one of the best postgame areas in the series.

Ducolamia and Argentarus like this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

• Gen III produced the greatest and most kick-ass Pokemon love story in Pokemon history in Pokemon Adventures Ruby & Sapphire
    • Gen III was the starting point of some of the greatest 3D Pokemon RPGs, Colosseum and XD, in history.
    • Gen III's anime had a kickass opening and some good movies, could've done better for the Pokemon League.
    • Gen III's Holon Region is an awesome addition to the Pokemon TCG.
    • Gen III gave us the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Ranger series, both fun spin-offs... well maybe Ranger.
    Yup. That's about it... I talked about everything I want to about Gen III except for the main series games itself lol.

TheotherLati and Argentarus like this.
  4. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

-The overhaul of IV and EV systems
    -The introduction of Natures and Abilities
    -The introduction of Berry planting
    -The split of regional and national Dexes
    -Amazing region
    -The first pair of remakes
    -A lot of the new Pokemon, such as Swampert, Breloom, Exploud, Aggron, Absol, Salamence, Gardevoir, Milotic, Flygon, Metagross, Manectric, Zangoose, Armaldo, Latios, Latias, Groudon and Kyogre
    -Diving
    -It is the first generation to make the legendaries integral to the storyline
    -The music was generally memorable

Lucrei and Argentarus like this.
  5. dannymusic

dannymusic The Smiling Trombonist

Gen III deserves a lot of credit for shaping many of the mechanics of pokemon as we know them today -- EVs/IVs, natures, abilities, berries. Heck, even aesthetically, now free from the limitations of the Game Boy Color, Gen. III really solidifies the look of each pokemon and the full-color sprite aesthetic of the worlds.

Also, the Battle Frontier in Emerald is an absolute blast!

Lucrei, BTS_fan and Argentarus like this.
  6. Kein

Kein AKA Silktree

-Abilities
    -Doubles battles
    -More varied environments
    -Move Tutors (FRLG and Emerald)
    -Battle Factory (Emerald)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  7. Italianbaptist

Italianbaptist Informed Casual

Double Battles - I know they've been said a lot but I really prefer Double to Single at this point.

Colosseum and XD - Still prefer the Stadium series for accessibility's sake but these were great Gamecube games with a really interesting premise I wish they could have fleshed out more in later generations

First main series game to feature running :)

8. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

-Abilities
    -Improved weather effects
    -The start of major differences in the paired games
    -The fact that it felt like a fresh new start

BTS_fan, AvatarKorrina and Argentarus like this.
  9. Argentarus

Argentarus Introducing Pokemon SOwOrd and ShUwUield

Just gonna drop my list of favourite things. Probably one of my favourite regions, somewhere up there with Gen 4 and 5.

RSE:
    • Killer soundtrack with songs like: Abandoned Ship, Mt. Pyre Peak, Route 113, Dewford Town, Slateport City, Route 110, Verdanturf Town, Mt. Chimney, Lilycove City, Ever Grande City, and the Ending theme. (ORAS did quite a bit of justice on some of those remixes and original tracks. Although, Wally's new battle theme is still kinda okay, a little too much guitar for my tastes.)
    • The Battle Frontier
    • Double battles
    • The introduction of ribbons. (They're pretty trivial, but they're really nice as mementos. Really helps to set them apart from same species of Pokemon that you catch in the newer games.)
    FRLG:
    • Stabler than their original releases
    • Introduced the Sevii Islands
    • Gave Kanto a sort of battle facility, as the Trainer Tower
    • Has a subtle setup for the events caused by Team Rocket in the Johto games on Five Island
    • The introduction of the Vs. Seeker (Which we, strangely enough, haven't seen since Platinum.)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. Boss1991

Boss1991 Hardcore Pokéfan

Gen III gave us the Hoenn Battle Frontier, Secret Bases, Pokémon Contests, and the fantastic Hoenn region.

Because of those things I consider Gen III to be the best generation.

Argentarus likes this.
  11. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Here's my list of good things about FRLG:

FRLG embraces new mechanics, like abilities and held items, rather than ditching them for the sake of nostalgia like LGPE did.
    The Sevii Islands were a great addition to FRLG and they help elongate playtime.
    It's a way to play Gen 1 without having to deal with a glitchy, broken game, or a game that excessively panders to mobile phone users.
    The game doesn't limit to Gen 1 Pokemon only and you can find Gen 2 Pokemon on the Sevii Islands.
    The VS Seeker is the best new item in the game and one of the easiest ways to rematch trainers. I was happy that it returned in the Sinnoh games, but it hasn't been seen since.

Lucrei and MockingJ like this.
  12. Zoldam

Zoldam New Member

Double battles are one of my favorite additions.

Battle Frontier was also rather nice post-game compared to most of the other games. Except that one where you have no control and hope for the best.

Lucrei, AvatarKorrina and MockingJ like this.
  13. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

The graphics in general, such as brighter color palettes and such, but also small things like footprints and reflections and even attack animations.

14. MockingJ

MockingJ Banned

Natures & Abilities because they helped change the mechanics of training and battling. Pokemon Contests were also a fun commodity to try when you were bored, so props to whoever came up with the concept.

Lucrei, BTS_fan and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  15. D*N

D*N Musical Star

The region locations itself. It was the first generation to include things like a volcano, an underwater cave, a meteor cave, a dessert, volcanic ash route, a treehouse town, a town in the ocean, long grass routes, an abandoned shipwreck and more

Lucrei and BTS_fan like this.
  16. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

• The addition of Abilities- While some have proven to be virtually useless like Run Away in Trainer battles or Illuminate but they mostly changed how the games played.
    • Improved graphics- As said before the graphics were much more colorful, you had more detailed scenery in the overworld, and seeing reflections on water was nice.
    • Contests were a fun optional event. It had its own strategies to get first place and you had to think carefully how to utilize your turn.
    • Cutscenes were really good considering the games were on a handheld and didn’t have more advanced graphics and power to make them seem like they were on a home console.
    • The fishing mini game was a nice upgrade when compared to the previous two Gens. It gave you something else to do when fishing and some realism when the hooked Pokémon got away.
    • Having two Bikes to choose from was amazing! Each let you access different types of terrain and both were really fun to use aside from the Mach Bike having to be used during those cracked floor mazes in Granite Cave and the Sky Tower.
    • Double battles were a much needed improvement over the original one on one format. You had new strategies to figure out as well as choose moves wisely so you wouldn’t KO your ally from the effects of using moves like Earthquake.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

The only thing that would've made the region more diverse would've been a snowy area, although we got the Shoal Cave ice floor as the next best thing I suppose. The underwater areas in eastern Houen were especially nice.

Lucrei and Boss1991 like this.
  18. Monozu

Monozu この日、森の中・・・

Hoenn was a fantastic place to explore. The games did a good job of having you backtrack and revisit places without it feeling tedious.

Lucrei, MockingJ, BTS_fan and 2 others like this.
  19. catzeye

catzeye Writer's Block

• Abilities were interesting
    • Natures to me added not only to the competitive side of battling but added personality to the Pokemon
    • Weather added an interesting dynamic to the battles
    • Double Battles are my favorite non-traditional (single) battle style.
    • Battle Frontier
    • Wally being an example of a nice rival done right
    • Emerald cleaned up the mess of Team Aqua/Magma's plans by bringing it to the logical conclusion

Leonhart and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  20. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I agree with that. There were lots of areas that weren't fully accessible until you returned to them later in the games, and I liked the overall map of the Houen region [even the sea routes]. My only complaint about the way the region is structured would have to be Route 123's layout, but that's pretty much it.

Monozu and MockingJ like this.