• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Successes of Gen III

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Better TM moves than previous gens, berry growing was useful until the internal battery dies, lots of diverse areas to explore in Hoenn especially and the Battle Frontier was one of the best additions in any Pokemon game.

TwilightBlade

I thought that the vibrant colours of the Generation 3 games was a major update and I also thought that the soundtrack was much better in this generation. And let's not forget the Battle Frontier which was probably the most unique part of the Emerald.

Leonhart

Imagineer
RedBlastoise said:
Better TM moves than previous gens, berry growing was useful until the internal battery dies, lots of diverse areas to explore in Hoenn especially and the Battle Frontier was one of the best additions in any Pokemon game.

In terms of diversity in Houen, I agree that that was one of Gen III's strong points, although I did wonder why there was never a snowy area in Houen given that we know that snow was actually planned to be programmed into the game at one point. I know that Houen's a warm region, but that didn't stop Shoal Cave from having an icy areaa.

TwilightBlade

The biggest success was that the leveling curve problem from GSC wasn't repeated in RSE. Also the fact that we got remakes of the Kanto games with connectivity to RSE was a good thing.

Yeah the leveling curve was a huge improvement in the Generation 3 games compared to the Generation 2 ones. I didn't struggle as much training in R/S/E/FR/LG as I did in G/S/C. I don't even want to remember how hard I grinded in the 2nd Gen. :p

Leonhart

Imagineer
Leveling up before the Pokemon League challenge was certainly a bit easier in Gen III than in Gen II [especially in LG/FR because of the Vs. Seeker], but I didn't think it was smooth sailing per se in R/S/E. I remember still needing to train for a while after reaching the Pokemon League because my teams in R/S/E were still too weak to face off against the Four Heavenly Kings (Elite Four).

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
The Generation 3 games had a better plot -- yes even LeafGreen and FireRed which were expanded to include new places and a post-game arc. I think Generation 3's side games like Pokemon Colosseum and the other spin offs were great too.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The tide in Shoal Cave was utilized very well and made it feel like two different caves in one. Only downside to it is the game’s battery running out. Still a clever way to incorporate real world time into the Hoenn games.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:
The tide in Shoal Cave was utilized very well and made it feel like two different caves in one. Only downside to it is the game’s battery running out. Still a clever way to incorporate real world time into the Hoenn games.

I liked the tide change, and I'm surprised that Game Freak didn't include more time based events in the overworld. Then again since the cartridge battery dying made Shoal Cave's tide stay the same after that point, maybe it's a good thing that Game Freak didn't include more environment changes based on the internal clock.

Venomshock

The e-Reader function was a huge innovation at the time and I remember scanning the cards to get the special trainers to appear in Mossdeep. Having extra trainers to fight made the post game parts of Ruby & Sapphire better. :D

Leonhart

Imagineer
Venomshock said:
The e-Reader function was a huge innovation at the time and I remember scanning the cards to get the special trainers to appear in Mossdeep. Having extra trainers to fight made the post game parts of Ruby & Sapphire better. :D

It was a major step forward in gaming technology, although it sold horribly outside of Asia from what I heard, so I don't know if it counts as a success. It's a shame though since LG/FR and Emerald version had special e-Reader cards released in Japan that their international equivalents never got.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Sakuyamon said:
I liked how you could transfer Pokemon from Pokemon XD and Colosseum to the GBA games. I remember getting the middle forms of the Johto starter Pokemon that way.

I never got to use that function myself, so I had to resort to getting the missing Pokemon not found in R/S via trades with LG/FR/E. I did like that we could at least get Houou (Ho-Oh) and Lugia from the GameCube Pokemon games after completing their main story lines even though I wasn't fortunate enough to have them myself.