1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Successes of Gen IV

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by Argentarus, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Argentarus

Argentarus Dark-type Gym Leader

I'm making this to juxtapose the "Faults of" threads. Generation IV has some pretty bad faults, but the games are still pretty great. Just put down what you love about the generation.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

The Physical/Special split added a new layer of strategy and made Dark-types more useful.
    The new evolutions, while controversial, helped underused Pokemon get an edge.
    Some trade evolutions (Gengar and Steelix) can actually be found in the wild.
    After being removed in Gen 3, the Day/Night system returned, and it has since become a regular feature.
    The Battle Frontier is back and it remains a good postgame area.
    The Underground is an expansion of the Secret Bases from Gen 3, and you can also get some rare items down there without having to pay any money.

WishIhadaManafi5 and Argentarus like this.
  3. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko Ayla going to the Kingdom! :D

- Pokemon Contests in the anime
    - Dawn from the anime
    - Some of my favorite Pokemon

Argentarus likes this.
  4. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

Let's see here...
    Gen 4 gave us one of the greatest One Piece stories lol, Pokemon Adventures Diamond & Pearl + Platinum Arc!
    And by extension Pokemon Adventures gave us the best incarnation of Cyrus!
    Dawn is an awesome addition in the Pokemon anime!
    Gen 4 gave us the best Mystery Dungeon games!
    Gen 4 gave us the best Pokemon Ranger games!
    Gen 4 gave us Pokemon Battle Revolution, arguably having the best graphics out of any Wii game... wish I could say the same for the gameplay.
    Pokemon Ranch, one of Pokemon Bank's predecessors came out.
    Some of the best Pokemon movies!

... and still nothing about the Pokemon main series games itself lol.

Argentarus likes this.
  5. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member

The way of importing Pokémon from the Gen 3 games was much better than in Gen II and the fact you could make Pokémon hold items during transfer was a nice touch especially when getting more of the harder to find TMs in Gen IV like Iron Tail.

Heart Gold and Soul Silver were the best of the remakes in terms of content. ORAS come closet to that honor but fall short because they had no following Pokémon and no real post game after the Delta episode.

The night and day cycle was a welcome return and the fact that the music in several areas changed to suit the time of day was well incorporated.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    WishIhadaManafi5 and Argentarus like this.
  6. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

-The physical/special split
    -Sinnoh is my second favourite region
    -The amount of postgame content
    -The Gym Leaders, Cynthia and Cyrus are actually tough to beat
    -Team Galactic is the first evil team I liked
    -Torterra, Staraptor, Rotom, Togekiss, Floatzel, Gallade, Weavile, Roserade, Magnezone, Mamoswine, Palkia and Giratina-Origin
    -Distortion World
    -The Pokeathlon
    -The Battle Frontier
    -You actually had to see every Pokemon in the regional Dex to unlock the National one in the Sinnoh games.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  7. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

The physical/special split was probably the best thing this generation brought us, second best giving so many garbage Gen 2 Pokemon evolutions they should've had from the start

8. FlashFire926

FlashFire926 Member

- Physical/Special split. It's income cannot be overstated.
    - Evolutions to older pokemon. Yanmega, Togekiss, Weavile, Gliscor, and Mamoswine are some of my favourites. Mismagius and Honchkrow too.
    - Day/Night cycle returns
    - Cynthia is the best champion
    - Best difficulty curve (Platinum)
    - Mt. Coronet (the best "dungeon" in the series thus far)

9. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

-Physical/special split. That’s all I can think of.

Leonhart likes this.
  10. Ignition

Ignition Stop neglecting my sad bois GameFreak.

Peak of Pokèmon tbh

11. Kein

Kein AKA Unown Seer

Physical/Special split and some cross-generational evolutions (mostly for Johto). I don't give credit for returning features (including Crystal's online ones) or inherently subjective stuff.

Following Pokemon for HGSS.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  12. Tophe clyne

Tophe clyne Active Member

What would be the best place to ask questions about the pokemon X and Y games for the 3DS?

13. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

The best soundtrack in the series imo
    Really good Pokemon designs, including some of my all time favourites such as Garchomp, Roserade, Luxray, Torterra, Empoleon etc
    Vast mountainous region that encouraged exploration
    Strong (at least at the time), memorable champion with a cool and diverse team
    Strong post game
    Walking Pokemon is HGSS
    Pokemon sprites were probably the 'cleanest' in the series
    Physical/special split

Akkipeddi likes this.
  14. Argentarus

Argentarus Dark-type Gym Leader

DPPt:
    • The inclusion of day/night specific themes for both routes and cities
    • Special and Physical split
    • The standardization of Multi Battles as a battle style; these are kinda fun when the AI works right.
    • The Global Trade Station/Global Terminal
    • Pokeball Seals
    • Breeded Pokemon hatching a Lv. 1 instead of Lv. 5; it's a little jarring to revisit the previous breeding system
    • Sinnoh Underground
    • The introduction of 3d into the overworld; allowing for more complex locales and gym layouts.
    • Sinnoh Battle Frontier
    • Masuda Method
    • Migration of Pokemon from Gen III and the Pal Park (Transferring older Pokemon to the newer generations always feels so rewarding.)
    • The introduction of forme changes by item or object interaction.
    • The Poketch
    • Gender differences
    • The Distortion World
    • The OST: Route 216, Route 225, Game Corner, Galactic HQ, Veilstone City, Lake theme, (sub-)Legendary theme, Canalave City, Twinleaf Town, Jubilife City, and the Cynthia themes.
    • Gym leader rematches
    • Cynthia

HGSS:

• Sprint button
    • Walking Pokemon
    • The updated and new vibrant locales, especially: Bellchime Trail, Route 32, Route 47, and Kanto Gyms
    • Removing the 24 hour limit on Gen III migration from DPPt
    • As badly replaced as the slot machines were, the Voltorb Flip minigame does offer some pretty strategic gameplay. (The lack of an ability to buy coins sucks, though.)
    • The revamped pokegear
    • The integrated elements from Crystal
    • The Arceus event
    • A Johto Safari Zone
    • The Pokeathlon (it's nice to do once in a while)
    • The Ho-oh/Lugia cutscenes
    • The Pokewalker
    General:
    • The availability of a Mew through Pokemon Ranch
    • Pokemon Battle Revolution

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  15. Boss1991

Boss1991 A real Pokéfan

Gen IV gave us:
    - the best remakes ever (HGSS)
    - following Pokémon
    - a new iteration of the Battle Frontier (even if not as good as the Hoenn Battle Frontier, it's still good)
    - the biggest region sofar (Sinnoh)

16. Thakamizu

Thakamizu Wicked Angel Witch

A neat sprites' style;
    A lot of new moves;
    Physical and Special split for the moves belonging to every type;
    A lot of new items;
    A really interesting region to walk through;
    Evolutions for many of the old Pokémon;
    Snowy routes;
    The return of the day and night feature of Generation II.

17. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Here's my list of good things about HGSS:

Following Pokemon added immersion to the games.
    They added a crap ton of new features on top of what was already available in the Johto games, such as the Pokethalon.
    The game featured an "autorun" button that allowed you to run without the need to press a button.
    They removed the "one transfer per day" limitation on Gen 3 transfers from the Sinnoh games.
    The Johto Safari Zone and other new areas allow the player to catch some Johto Pokemon without having to wait until the Kanto section of the game.
    The Battle Frontier, while copy pasted from Platinum, is still a good post game feature.

Argentarus likes this.
  18. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

D/P/Pt had a fairly decent storyline and my favorite villainous team ever. HG/SS had a few cool features like the Pokeathlon, which was my favorite post-game activity.