• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Successes of Gen IV

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
The physical/special split didn't affect me at first since I didn't even know how that worked until much later, but yeah by the time that Platinum came out I was so glad that the games had changed that mechanic starting in Gen 4.

Peter Harrison

-The HGSS remakes were made in this Gen.
-The best soundtracks out of every Pokemon game, in my opinion.
- The Poke tech.
-The Sinnoh Battle Frontier.
- A lot of post game content.
- My favourite Pokemon, Lucario, was introduced in Gen 4.
- Dawn was an awesome character in the Pokemon Anime.
- Cynthia is a very good champion.

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
Where do I start? Great character designs especially for the gym leaders, good background music, interesting Pokemon evolution methods, cool city ideas, the best story line in the main games up to this point, interesting features like the underground and the updated Contests. I could go on. :D

TwilightBlade

The games that were set in Sinnoh had an amazing soundtrack and I liked the ideas that Game Freak used for the mythology of the Sinnoh region. The updated day and night cycle was also a good thing as was the addition of gender differences.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
HGSS will always be my favorite remakes so I consider them to be the 4th Gen's greatest achievement. The Distortion World was also really special and felt like a step forward.

I loved the Distortion World because it had the best graphics in all the generation 4 games. Also the cut scenes like when Cyrus summoned Dialga and Palkia were really good too.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
Dppt:-

-Physical/Special split
-Graphics at the time honestly blew my mind. 15 year old me’s jaw dropped at the first screenshots. I’m curious as to whether anyone else had this reaction at the time?
-I don’t want to repeat too much that’s been already said, but I agree with the comments on Sinnoh’s mythology, the music (Canalave City, Route 213 and Mt, Coronet are highlights)
-QOL improvements such as poketch and pal park were a godsend at the time

Hgss:-

-These games very existence made my dreams come true, due to the sheer nostalgia factor
-Incoporation of the Crystal storyline
-Expansion of features to reflect the increased number of Pokemon available since Gen II

On a side note (I hope I’m not off topic asking, apologies) has anyone noticed that second hand copies of Hgss are expensive? (Often £50 GBP)

NeganTheSavior

I love how these games reinvigorated my love of the series. There's really not much hand-holding and Cynthia is genuinely difficult to beat.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeganTheSavior said:
There's really not much hand-holding and Cynthia is genuinely difficult to beat.

She was definitely a challenge, which I disliked as a kid, but now I can appreciate how hard it was to beat her in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. I think that her Gablias (Garchomp) ranks among the hardest Pokemon that I've ever faced off against in any of the games [not counting battle facility Pokemon].

NeganTheSavior

She was definitely a challenge, which I disliked as a kid, but now I can appreciate how hard it was to beat her in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. I think that her Gablias (Garchomp) ranks among the hardest Pokemon that I've ever faced off against in any of the games [not counting battle facility Pokemon].

I used to make it a rule where I never use legendary Pokemon during playthroughs, but I might make an exception just this once because I'm genuinely terrified of that Garchomp and what it can do. It's pretty cool when a game can make you rethink how you play.