1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

The Successes of Gen V

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation V Discussion' started by Argentarus, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Pokémon Master (Kinda)

Emboar.

Nuff said

2. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

The 3D graphics looked more advanced than the graphics from Generation 4 and the plot was more interesting in all the Generation 5 games than in previous games. Unlimited TM usage was also a great change.

Carrick2097 and Leonhart like this.
  3. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

Main BW1 had a great story.

I actually like a lot more Mon designs then I thought I definitely got sucked into the whole GEN 5 SUCKS BECAUSE RUBBISH AND ICECREAM Pokemon! Glad Gen 5 Mons got the most lovin' in SwSh!

Gameplay much faster than Gen 4, Gen 4 is still highly playable it does take a few hours in game to get used to the speed again, Gen 5 just instantly into it.

Carrick2097 and Leonhart like this.
  4. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I never understood why Gen V's Pokemon designs got so much hate back in the day. It seems like recently there's been more positivity about the Gen V era, but I remember how often people would make rude remarks about Game Freak supposedly "running out of ideas" back then.

5. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

It was just easy to jump on the bandwagon I guess. That's exactly what happened to me. I feel Turner especially gets undue flack for the Vanilite line I mean I saw a video from someone when he was announced to be art director with a thumbnail of the Vanilite line saying if this was a good thing, and I just thought to myself piss off.

TwilightBlade and RedBlastoise like this.
  6. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

Better audio quality than the Generation 4 games as evidenced by the inclusion of a few vocal songs. Also the moving animated sprites made battles look wayyyy more intense.

TwilightBlade and Leonhart like this.
  7. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ February 15, 2011-February 15, 2020

Pretty much everything especially the soundtrack, story, and the characters. I also liked the soft reboot of only Unova Pokemon being available until postgame. I wish gamefreak would do this again.

RedBlastoise likes this.
  8. NeganTheSavior

NeganTheSavior Well-Known Member

I get excited whenever I run into Audino because it means free exp. Lots of it.

Leonhart likes this.
  9. Monozu

Monozu この日、森の中・・・

Shaking grass, double battle grass, much better-written characters, compelling main stories, a bunch of solid Pokemon designs, smooth graphics compared to Gen 4, engaging postgames, online play integrated better into the game*, TM limits removed, animated sprites... those are some of the things Gen V did well, according to me.

(*Though I still remember people asking for lv. 9 Reshirams in exchange for a Patrat. Ugh.)

TwilightBlade and Leonhart like this.
  10. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

The shaking grass mechanic was pretty useful since wild Tabunne (Audino) gave lots of experience points, although one of the downsides was that Tabunne had a high appearance rate when it came to the shaking grass, which I wish had been lower so that rare Pokemon would appear in the shaking grass more often.