• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

The Successes of Gen VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argentarus

Made to juxtapose the "faults of" threads, and see why everybody loves the different generations.
So, what does everybody love about Generation VI?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
- It's the birth generation of trainer customization, the best and will-always-be-best feature of the games.
- I liked a lot of the little Lumiose City attractions
- PR videos
- The PSS's persistent online connectivity and ability to view others' PR videos using it
- Seemingly older player character
- Serena from the anime
- Gen 6 was the generation when the fanbases, mainly the anime one, were the most entertaining to watch

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Trainer customization is one of the most welcome features to the series. I hope they never remove it.
The Pokemon on the routes and caves are extremely varied. Even though most of the Pokedex is comprised of old Pokemon, you won't be seeing the same Pokemon on every route in Kalos.
The PSS is the best way to connect online in the entire franchise. Too bad they dropped it in Gen 7.
The Kalos region really shows off what the 3DS is capable of with a rich European atmosphere and some beautiful scenery.
The Fairy type helped to make Poison and Steel types more usable, both in the main game and in the competitive scene.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
The birth of making it less tedious to get "perfect" Pokemon with the new breeding mechanics and certain Pokemon guaranteed to have perfect IVs. Trainer customisation is also one of the best things to come to the series, here's hoping it sticks with the main series for its entire lifetime.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
-The Fairy type
-Horde Battles
-Soaring in the sky
-The DexNav
-Mega Evolutions (although some were unneeded)
-The changes to breeding mechanics
-Greninja, Chesnaught, Talonflame, Sylveon, Pangoro, Slurpuff, Heliolisk, Goodra, Dragalge, Aegislash, Aurorus and Gogoat

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
The PSS system, easily the best online functionality out of any Pokemon game. Say all you want about Kalos being the easiest region but man did the PSS system did it's job and it's job well.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
  • 3D Pokemon models
  • Power Up Punch
  • Addition of the Fairy typing
  • ORAS being incredible remakes and having an excellent post game adventure
  • Mega evolutions gave new life to older Pokémon that were sometimes forgotten and underused such as Manetric and Kangaskhan
  • Pokemon Amie was fun
  • The PSS was the best way to find players to battle and trade with
  • Wonder Trade made online trading exciting
  • Trainer customization was nice to have

Argentarus

X & Y:
  • Photo Spots (I've said in the Generation VII thread that I'm a sap for photo ops in Pokemon games. This was a really nice way of cataloguing your progress and showing off the region; in a very similar way to the Cameron from HGSS.)
  • Super Training (First EV training feature that didn't require extensive number-crunching. A more active EV training system compared to Isle Evelup, but it all depends on which style you prefer.)
  • The PSS (The apex of core series Pokemon communication. Period; the profile set-up is amazing and it's really nice to have the most of the important online features consolidated into the droptray.)
  • The camera angles and scenery. (I'm pretty sure I've racked up most of my hours just roaming around Lumiose City. The games are absolutely gorgeous.)
  • The skates (They were a pretty fun alternative for running.)
  • Sky Battles & Inverse Battles (The fact that we got two new and unique types of battles was pretty awesome, but the fact that they are limited is kinda sad.)
  • Mega Evolutions (They were kinda overpowered until Z-moves, but a lot of the designs are still pretty rad.)
  • Friend Safari (It's very social and there's the bonus of increased shiny chances.)
  • The music. They did an amazing job on this one.
  • This region had a lot of amazing pokemon designs: Noibat & Noivern, Sylveon, Goodra, Gogoat, Pancham line, Tyrunt line, Espurr line, and Hawlucha.
ORAS:
  • The use of StreetPass (Specifically for the Super Secret Bases, Mirage Spots, and the Eon Ticket event.)
  • Updated graphics and locales (The region benefits from being able to show off it's Japanese roots.)
  • Again, the camera angles and scenery. (X and Y did it great, ORAS improved and helped Hoenn to be more vibrant)
  • The Character redesigns (Maxie and Archie's redesigns are pretty great imo)
  • The new and remastered music. They also did a really amazing job on this one, too. The mixture of synths and french horns was pretty interesting.
  • Mirage Spots (Better versions of the Ultra Wormholes. The selection of pokemon in the mirage spots are a lot bigger, too)
  • The expansion of the Pokenav. (DexNav, Holo Caster features, and other features)
  • Super Secret Bases (A definite upgrade from the original Secret Bases and Sinnoh underground base features.)
  • Delta Episode

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
X & Y:
  • Photo Spots (I've said in the Generation VII thread that I'm a sap for photo ops in Pokemon games. This was a really nice way of cataloguing your progress and showing off the region; in a very similar role as Cameron from HGSS.)
  • Trainer Customization (First time that we got player customization; still wish there were more male hair and clothing choices)
  • Super Training (First EV training feature that didn't require extensive number-crunching. A more active EV training system compared to Isle Evelup, but it all depends on which style you prefer.)
  • Pokemon-Amie (Love that it gives you some benefits in battle and allows you to directly interact with your pokemon.)
  • The PSS (The apex of core series Pokemon communication. Period; the profile set-up is amazing and it's really nice to have the most of the important online features consolidated into the droptray.)
  • The camera angles and scenery. (The camera angles in-and-out of battle are fantastic. I'm pretty sure I've racked up most of my hours just roaming around Lumiose City. The game, overall, is absolutely gorgeous.)
  • The skates (They were a pretty fun alternative for running.)
  • Sky Battles & Inverse Battles (The fact that we got two new and unique types of battles was pretty awesome, but the fact that they are limited (Sky battles, due to normal player rematches not being a regular, non-remake feature for 3 generations now and inverse battles being relegated to a single NPC.) is kinda sad.)
  • Mega Evolutions (Megas were kinda overpowered until Z-moves, but a lot of the designs are still pretty rad. Favourites are: M-Houndoom, M-Scizor, M-Mewtwo X, M-Charizard Y, M-Lucario, M-Manectric, M-Aggron, M-Heracross, and M-Tyranitar)
  • Friend Safari (It's very social and there's the bonus of increased shiny chances.)
  • The music. They did an amazing job on this one. There's a lot of likeable tracks like: Lumiose City, Snowbelle City, Boutique, Grande Valley Way, Glittering Cave, the Tower of Mastery, and Shalour City.
  • Favourite pokemon from Kalos were: Noibat & Noivern, Sylveon, Goodra, Chespin line, Fennekin line, Diggersby, Litleo line, Gogoat line, Pancham line, Tyrunt line, Skrelp line, Espurr line, Trevanant and Hawlucha.
ORAS: (Which I actually just bought two days ago. The save file was right before the Wally fight; still my least favourite trainer theme. kek)

• The use of StreetPass (Specifically for the Super Secret Bases, Mirage Spots, and the Eon Ticket event.)
  • Updated graphics and locales (I like how they changed the look of the region to better suit its Japanese roots.)
  • Again, the camera angles and scenery. (X and Y did it great, ORAS improved and helped Hoenn to be more vibrant)
  • The Character redesigns (Maxie and Archie's redesigns are pretty great imo.)
  • The new and remastered music. (They also did a really amazing job on this one, too. The mixture of synths and french horns was pretty interesting. I also liked that they ripped some songs straight from their original games. Some favourite tracks for these games: Contest Hall, Surfing, Route 113, Vs. Team Magma/Aqua Leader, and Zinnia's theme.)
  • Soaring In The Sky
  • Mirage Spots (Honestly, kind of a precursor to Ultra Wormholes, which were awesome. The mirage spots did have a bigger selection of pokemon, especially more elusive Pokemon like Purugly.)
  • The expansion of the Pokenav. (DexNav, Holo Caster features, and other features)
  • Super Secret Bases (A definite upgrade from the original Secret Bases and Sinnoh underground base features; and then being able to get and hang up the Time Travel and Pokedex awards is pretty nice.)
  • Delta Episode.
  • Super Contest Spectaculars (Yeah, they are pretty flashy and watered down. But at least it's easier when doing the ribbon challenge.)
Thankyou for posting this

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
Trainer customisation (finally).
Having the most balanced type chart (although compeitively, individual pokemon such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Rayquaza and the Primals were busted).
The easiest interconnevtivity we ever have or will have in a pokemon game.
Basically being a really convenient game to play.
Fluidly moving characters and 3D modelled pokemon on a handheld console.
Intefering with fan favourites like charizard and not getting a ton of hate for the new designs.
Heliolisk.

Boss1991

Pokémon Master
For me, the best features of Gen VI are:

XY:
- Character Customisation
- Pokémon Amie

ORAS:
- improved Secret Bases
- Soaring
- Dex Nav

I think the best feature overall, is ORAS Secret Bases. Being able to turn your Secret Base in your very own Gym, is one of the best features in the entire franchise. It could've been executed even better (like being able to receive official challengers, and design your own Gym Badge), however, it is already great the way it is.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
This is my list of what I like about ORAS:

Secret Bases were heavily expanded, and you can even create your own gym for other players to challenge.
The opposite gendered player character has an expanded role in the story, and they now actually fully evolve their starter.
All limits on PokeBlocks were removed, which makes creating the perfect Pokemon for contests and evolving Feebas much easier.
The DexNav was a cool new way to find Shinies, HA Pokemon, and even Pokemon with egg moves.
The PSS, Super Training, and Pokemon Amie, all good features from XY, were carried over into this game.

Argentarus

The opposite gendered player character has an expanded role in the story, and they now actually fully evolve their starter.
^This. This always annoyed me in RSE.

All limits on PokeBlocks were removed, which makes creating the perfect Pokemon for contests and evolving Feebas much easier.
I do sorely miss the minigame that came with the Pokeblock machine, BUT the quickness and ease of making Pokeblocks without the need of connecting to other people is really nice. The removal of Pokeblock "fullness" on a Pokemon is really great, too.

Xuxuba

XY:

Trainer customization. This is for the people who aren't always satisfied with the main character's design. It's also nice to change things a little bit in your journey, maybe change your hair and clothes if you aren't "feeling" them anymore. The collecting part is also fun and gives you something to spend your huge amounts of money in it.

Pokémon Amie. It makes your connection with them stronger, since when you are interacting with them while playing Amie they stop being just battle machines and feel more like real creatures. Having a Pokémon goes beyond Battling so it's nice to have a feature that reflects this.

PSS. This remains the best communication feature in the entire series. It's just so accessible and intuitive.

Exp. Share. I know many people thought this was what made the game too easy. But while they aren't wrong, i also think it made the game more fun, it is just that the developers didn't balance things out by making your opponents stronger or by reducing more the exp received, so overleveling wouldn't be a problem.

Super Training. Besides making EV training more accessible and easy, it was also fun and interactive. They could have made more than one minigame for training tho, so things would be less repetitive.

ORAS:

I would probably say Soaring, which allowed to see the region in a new light, and the new PokéNav, although i think it would be nice to be able to rematch gym leaders using the Nav.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The Gen VI games had good graphics, as well as customization which many fans desired. Granted, I was never a huge fan of the feature, but it was a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.